Just Because I Play Piano

Not Today

"Jo Yuri, I love every little bit of you and I can see a future of us getting married. Will you go out with me?" Yena asks, bowing down and even handing Yuri a gift. Yuri stands there stunned.

After a few seconds of silence, Yuri snickers.

"Okay, I heard about someone having a crush on me... but you?" Yuri asks, deeply and truly shocked. Yena just stands there, absorbing everything that Yuri had just said to her.

"FIRST OFF, , I am perfectly beautiful and wonderful girlfriend material and if you reject me now, then you're literally letting go of a loyal and hardworking girlfriend and wife!" Yena snaps back, crossing her arms. Yuri scoffs, not believing what she had just heard.

"It's my choice whether I want to be with you or not! You can't just-"

Yena shushes Yuri and shakes her head, shrugging. "Well, like I said," Yena says. But Yuri could hear Yena mutter So please say yes... under her breath. It's weird. Yuri never really paid attention to these kinds of things, and to have Yena (somebody who's quite popular) confess to her? The lowly, always in her feelings music club member?

"Why do you even like me?" Yuri asks, more serious now. Yena grins and starts rambling.

"Well, there's many reasons, but I'll start off simple. First, you're cute. Second, you're mean but also nice. Third, you work hard. Fourth—"

"Yeah, yeah, no. Bye." Yuri shoves Yena's gift back into Yena's hands as Yuri walks away. She knows that she's none of those. Yena really doesn't like her. It must be a prank. That must be it, right? Yuri walks away sassily but inside, she feels guilty. She knows that she's assuming but she can't help but assume. After all, nobody's told her that they've loved her before. And she's not about to believe Yena now.

YENA: 0, YURI: 0


"JOOO YURRRIIIII!!!" Yena exclaims loudly. A few students look their way, but the cafeteria was too loud and Yena's voice gets lost in the crowd. But Yuri hears her loudly. She groans as Yena sits beside her excitedly. She doesn't look dejected at all. Yuri did reject her, after all. How is she still so friendly?

"Yuri? Why the grumpy look?" Yena teases. Yuri ignores her and pouts, looking to the side. She didn't mean to look this cute, but she was just sooo cute that Yena couldn't resist pinching her cheeks.

Okay, maybe Yena pinches her cheeks a little too hard. "Ouch! What the ?!" Yuri exclaims loudly out of pain. Yena yelps as Yuri pushes Yena's arm away. Yena flinches.

"WTF?! Watch your language, young lady!" Yena scolds Yuri. Yuri is in disbelief. Did this girl (who was only a year older than her) just... oh no, she didn't.

"Sometimes I wonder how you're older than me," Yuri mutters. Yena raises an eyebrow. She leans closer to Yuri, which makes Yuri jump slightly, uncomfortable with Yena invading her space.

"What was that?" Yena asks. Yuri sighs as Yena laughs.

"Nothing....," Yuri answers, defeatingly.

YENA: 1, YURI: 0


Yuri prefers showcasing her musical skills after club activities. Everybody in the music club was already much more talented than her. They can dance, sing, play instruments, compose and produce, and so much more. Yuri could barely play piano without fumbling and forgetting what to play. That's when she was asked to perform for the club anyways.

Club activities had just ended and everybody left, forgetting Yuri was even in the club. She quietly sits by the piano and plays with the keys. The truth is, she was wonderful at playing. Once she noticed that everybody has left, she starts playing a song. A slow song with a sad melody. This displays exactly how Yuri feels. 

She feels rejected by her family and by society. She sees how well school is going for other kids without her. Who is she to suddenly insert herself in their lives? This is why she's afraid to make friends.

She prefers being alone then. With nobody but a piano to accompany her. She doesn't realize it, she's playing so passionately, but there's somebody watching her. Unsurprisingly, after Yuri finishes playing the piece, Yena is clapping as she walks into the music room. Yuri jumps when she hears Yena clapping. 

She quickly shuts the piano and clears , embarrassed.

"Okay, I thought people who liked and played classical musical instruments were boring, deadass not even gonna lie, but I think you just changed my mind," Yena says, completely ruining the mood. Yuri has a sour look on her face.

"Really? Classical music is actually great though," Yuri disagrees.

Yena scoffs. "You play piano. Piano is great but sometimes it just gets boring with all the–" Yena makes weird piano gestures and noises, "and that's why I play the guitar!"

Yuri face palms. "Don't test me! Just because I play the piano!" Yuri exclaims. Yena uwu's.

"Also, for your information, I also play guitar."

Yena makes an 'o' shaped mouth. 

Yena snaps her fingers. "How about you play another song then? To prove me wrong? And add a little bit of singing while you're at it," Yena suggests. Yuri scoffs.

"Okay please, I know you just want to hear me sing," Yuri replies, indirectly refusing. Yena doesn't reply though. Yuri glances at Yena, who walks and sits down next to Yuri on the chair. Yuri unconsciously scoots over to make room for Yena as Yena puts her hand on Yuri's. Yuri feels weird. Her heart is fluttering.

Then she sees Yena's goofy puppy eyes. Yuri rolls her eyes. "Fine," Yuri gives in, huffing. Yuri opens the piano again and starts playing random notes. Yena squeals excitedly. It makes Yuri feel weird. How somebody is actually excited to hear her. 

Yuri stumbles to find the right notes to start off on, but as she glances at Yena's expectant look, she doesn't want to let her down.

Yuri plays the notes perfectly and sings as well. How her voice is so clear and beautiful. Balancing out with her piano. She doesn't even remember that she was playing for Yena, because right now, music was all that mattered. But she stopped when she felt a head on her shoulder. Yuri turned to look beside her. Yena was sleeping. 

Soft. Unlike her annoying self. Yuri smiles unconsciously. But then she sees a reflection of herself on the window. Her smile is so wide and relaxing. So unnatural. Yuri immediately wipes the smile off her face and shuts the piano.

She knows that Yena doesn't really need her anyway. What difference would it make if Yuri wasn't in Yena's life? She has so many other friends anyway.

YENA: 2, YURI: 0


Yuri always thinks about how Yena is so ing annoying. She's always bothering her, always disregarding her feelings. Yena could never see things from Yuri's perspective. After all, the two are complete opposites.

But it was weird not seeing Yena at school today. Was she sick? Yuri somehow misses the older girl's presence, her annoying presence. Maybe she had just gotten used to the older girl, but Yuri can't quite put a finger on it.

Did Yena make Yuri feel important? Wanted? Loved? Yuri knows that Yena supposedly "loves" her, but she just can't believe it. Even after Yuri rejected Yena, Yena stills makes an effort for Yuri. Yuri shivers. She's never met anybody with such determination. 

Yuri knows that she would feel so dejected and depress for sure. Maybe even to the extent where she wouldn't even look at her crush anymore. Yuri sighs. 

Today was boring for Yuri and it was all because of the absence of a certain cheerful duck.

NO POINTS TO YENA OR YURI


OPERATION: GET YULYEN TOGETHER

group created by eunbuni

mom: okay youngsters, what's the plan?

cheese: how are you gonna create a group to try to get yena together with her crush and then ask US for plans?

mom: because i can and dont question me or else i will cut your cheese shortage

cheese:  u and i hate u and im also sorry

pepethefrog: why am i nicknamed this

fairy: wowowow doesnt yena like that one girl who's name translates to lesbian in japanese?

rambo: @fairy yeah ive watched animes about lesbians before

fairy: @rambo did i ask?

mom: can yall stfu and conduct a plan

dad: hey honey can u get the groceries later?

mom: ofc boo

REAL MAKNAE BUNNY: OMGJGWUWUFW are we really trying to sail my ship? 

puppy:  I CANT WAIT TO SEE YENA'S RED FACE

mom: LANGUAGE MOTHERER

smol: GUYS CHAEWON IS MAKING A WEIRD FACE WHILE STARING AT PICTURES OF FROGS

fairy: so are we conducting a plan-

mom: oh hey i guess i dont need your girls help after all cuz i already formed a plan 

cheese: stupid

REAL MAKNAE BUNNY: stupid

puppy: stupid

ducky: omg wtf is this how did i just discover thisdndkjndajwkdn

mom: omfg you're here yena? lol and here i was typing out the plan to yall

pepethefrog: stupid

mom: minju, hitomi, wonyoung, and yujin meet me after school

puppy: wait unnie i hAVE A PLAN

ducky: CAN YALL NOT SKKSKSKS


"Yuri, help...," Yena mutters as she's looking at her phone. Yuri peeks at Yena's phone and sees "yulyen." 

"What's 'yulyen'?" Yuri asks. Yena turns to Yuri.

"Oh my god, you don't want to know...," Yena whispers. Yuri raises her eyebrow.

"Is it inappropriate?" Yuri inquires. Yena nods slowly. 

"You'll know what it is only if you get together with me," Yena answers with a smirk. The answer leaves Yuri flustered but Yuri doesn't show it. Yuri covers Yena's smirk with .

"Okay I'm not that desperate to find out."

But Yuri's heart was fluttering. Yena was quite charismatic and especially today, where she boldly asks Yuri out... Yuri was very flustered. A blush was visible on Yuri's face but Yuri wouldn't let Yena see her.

Was she out of her mind?! What was this weird feeling in her chest? No way! Yena's the one out of her mind! Why was she always chasing after Yuri anyways?

Her heart was speaking differently from her mind.

YENA: 3, YURI: 0 


There was Yuri and Yena together locked in a classroom. What a ing cliché plan that Yena's friends conducted. Yena nervously laughs. "Welp, I guess we're locked in this creepy and crappy classroom together," Yena confesses as she tries to turn the doorknob but it wouldn't turn. Yena is sweating now.

Yuri doesn't even reply to Yena as she looks so sadly out the window. Yena watches her. The sunset is so beautiful and you could mistaken Yuri looking at the sunset, but she wasn't interested in that. She was just thinking. 

How school life is for her. It's so light hearted and fun and she goes through so many stupid and unnecessary yet quirky situations with this dorky duck. It's funny, really.

"Are you thinking about how bad classical music is now?" Yena asks Yuri, truly concerned. Sometimes Yena just ruins the mood and that's a thing Yuri hates because Yuri's always in her feelings.

"Really now? I look this sad and the first thing you ask is if I hate a genre of music?" Yuri asks Yena. Sometimes she doesn't understand is Yena really loves her or not. Especially when Yena asks all these dumb things. Yuri wonders if Yena is really just this dense.

"Okay, well... I was just wondering," Yena pouts. Yuri sighs. Sighing all those feelings that she's feeling right now out. Her heart beating fast and nearly falling out of her ribcage just because of how much it's beating. Her sweaty palms and her inability to think of what to say next. Yena then laughs. Her laugh is like music to Yuri's ears.

But Yuri covers her ears and turns to Yena with a disgusted face. "You sound like a dying duck! Honestly!" Yuri exclaims. Yuri expected a snarky reply back from Yena but as Yuri slowly uncovers her ears, she hears sniffing. 

Yuri looks at the vulnerable Yena. She's crying. Tears falling from her eyes that are usually full of playfulness and turned 180 degrees into a frown.

"omgomgomg, Yena I'm sorry!" Yuri apologizes, despite not knowing what she's done wrong. Was it something she said? Something she did? Obviously. Yena giggles and wipes her tears but she doesn't say anything.

After a few minutes of silence, Yena finally makes eye contact with Yuri.

"You know, I cried really hard after you rejected me....," Yena confessed. Yuri freezes. Of course... of course Yena wasn't just always happy. Of course she wouldn't get over Yuri's harsh rejection that easily.

"I really just wanted to be friends with you at first," Yena tells Yuri. Yuri gulps. She wants to dismiss Yena and just wants Yena to stop crying and say just joking! but it never came. Yena was sincere, she always was. Yuri just rejected Yena, pushed her away.

She was running away from Yena this whole time. She always thought that Yena was stupid for trying to be with her..... but Yena was really just trying to be a good person and make friends with Yuri. Yuri couldn't say anything.

"But my feelings developed for you. Maybe it was because of how lonely and helpless you looked that I wanted to be with you, but it was something. And my feelings were only strengthened when I heard your soulful voice. Your voice was full of sorrow but it was just so..... beautiful. I thought, how could this girl's talent just go to waste like this? With nobody listening to her voice or feeling her passion?" 

Yena's words touched Yuri's heart.

"And I was determined to be with you. I approached you, and even after a short amount of time, I confessed to you. You rejected me but you seemed so sad about it that I couldn't just stop pursuing you." Yena held Yuri's hands. Yena didn't mind Yuri's sweaty palms, as Yena's palms were sweaty as well.

"I'm glad I didn't stop. Because I love you so much and even if you reject me again, I'll keep pursuing you until you're truly happy," Yena finishes. Yuri has no words. Yena chuckles.

"Yena.... I–" Yena hushes Yuri.

"You don't have to reject me now... let's just...."

Yuri shakes her head. "No! I wanted to say... I... I finally realized just how... stupid.... I was being. I thought you were stupid but... in reality, you were just trying to help me while I, I rejected you. I rejected your love and your help." Yuri held Yena's hands tighter.

"But now I've realized how much you've healed me and I..." Yuri paused. She couldn't find the words, but looking Yena... Yuri finds her words.

"I love you too."

Yuri and Yena stare at each other with loving eyes. They both lean closer to each other as Yuri closes her eyes. She was ready.

Until she wasn't. Loud voices were heard out of the classroom door as the door opens and there pours a bunch of girls. 

"UNNIE!" Wonyoung complains as Hyewon groans. "WHY'D YOU OPEN THE DOOR?!"

Hyewon rolled her eyes. "I happened to walk past you girls and opened the door because I thought y'all were being stupid but I guess I shouldn't have," Hyewon answers simply. Yujin also complains.

"You didn't have to cover my eyes either, Eunbi!" Yujin told Eunbi. Eunbi crosses her arms.

"You are too innocent for this! I know you've always watched those more mature Korean drama kiss scenes but real life is different from that!" Eunbi scolds Yujin harshly. Yujin chuckles nervously as Eunbi had just spilled her deepest, darkest secret. 

"Aw man... I was really hoping for them to kiss!" Chaewon expressed sadly. Minju agreed.

Yuri didn't even feel embarrassed that she was being watched almost kissing Yena.

Instead, she turned to Yena and raised an eyebrow.

"Are these your friends that I have to get along with if I date you?" Yuri asks. Yena chuckles and nods. 

"Don't worry. They're actually caring, though, they're always like this."

But this story doesn't disappoint. As the girls were being loud and arguing, Yena and Yuri kiss anyway. The girls all scream and shout. 

"YULYEN IS SAILING!" Wonyoung exclaims. But she couldn't even witness the kiss as Eunbi was covering her eyes and Chaeyeon was covering Yujin's eyes.

Today, Yuri was led out of the darkness by a light named Yena. Funnily enough, turns out, she was more than enough to make friends. And so are you. 

 

YURI: earned too many points, not countable