Rooftop Dream

First Loves and Dying Breaths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie thanks the universe for the sunshine. As Jimin leads her out of the café, they take a corner down the down street and onto the main road with many stores and restaurants. The place bustles with life, busy buyers and hungry people.

            “It’s a fine day today,” says Jimin. “I think the universe just wants us to be together.”

Jennie refrains a derisive snort. She deems him too cute for his own good. He really tries hard. She has to give him brownie points for that. “Is that so, Mr. Chim-Chim? The universe is a cruel thing sometimes.”

            His eyebrow stretches. “How so?”

“People don’t live forever,” she says. Again, her heart quickens in pace, and she pushes aside that painful memory from her past.

            Jimin staggers and holds her wrist. “But that’s the beauty in life, isn’t it? I know it’s too early on in the date to say this, Jennie, but we live so we could die.”

            She stares at him with a flustered look. “How so?” she mimics him. “Doesn’t that make things worse?”

            “No, it makes it better. It means we can cherish the moments we have.”

Jennie finds herself pausing for breath. “Hey, Jimin?”

            “Yeah?”

“Is it too early if I ask you to kiss me?”

            His lips curl into a wide smile, and he laughs at her perplexed expression. Jimin reaches to rub her head. “Actually, there’s something I want to show you first. If you like it, then I’ll kiss you. With your permission of course.”

            Jennie finds herself wallowing in shame as she follows Jimin to a remote corner of the city. There is a lone guitar shop with a rooftop venue. Jimin motions for her to follow, with sudden excitement and wonder like that of a child in a candy store. Jennie enters the shop, and she smells the sawdust from the guitars. A few people strum lonely tunes, while spectators watch like someone from another world.

            The owner is a young man not much older than him.

“Namjoon!” Jimin exclaims, and he bumps a fist with the taller man with the sallow skin.

            “Jimin, how’s it going?” Namjoon glances at Jennie and bows. “You’ve brought a girl.”

“Jennie, this is Namjoon. Namjoon, meet Jennie. I’d like to take her out on the roof.”

            “Jin’s using the roof. Do you want to kick him out first?” says Namjoon, with a chuckle.

Jennie blinks at the mention of that name. It sounds sorely familiar, as familiar as a bad dream. She finds herself wishing to stay in the shop, but Jimin takes her hand, and she blushes as he leads her up the stairs. They emerge outside, onto the roof with old balustrades. A venerable couch is occupied by a handsome man in tee and cotton trousers. Beyond the balcony, Jennie sees the magnificent skyscrapers and the endless traffic. And beyond that were the rolling hills, one by one, crashing into one another.

            The man glances in their direction. Both he and Jennie gasp, and he jumps

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter