Angel Beside Me

Angel Beside Me

- C H A P T E R -

1/1 Angel Beside Me


 

Hokuto and Kazuma were classmates; that’s it, nothing more. That’s why this night was like any other night. It should’ve just been any other night.




“Hey, Hokuchan,” Hokuto looked up from his desk to light brown hair, hollow cheeks and a goofy smile; Sato Taiki

 

“Can you give this to Kazuma? It’s a present from my younger brother” Taiki said as he raised his eyebrows up and down, holding a red ribboned gift box.

 

“It’s from Sota?” Hokuto asked, frowning at the item, “But why don’t you just give it to Kazuma, yourself? He’s right there.” 

 

Hokuto pointed to the back of the classroom where Kazuma was currently sleeping, resting his face inside his arms, next to the window where gusts of wind blew at his hair.

 

Taiki shook his head quickly, “NO—” covering his mouth with his palm from almost shouting. “You know how scary Kazuma can be…” Taiki whispered. “You’re the only one who isn’t either crushing on him or afraid of him… and also you’re the class president so pleeeaasse” Taiki begged again, wearing a big grin and winking multiple times.

 

Hokuto gave in. “Fine.”

 

“Thank you so much!” Taiki jumps up in happiness and practically shoves the present into Hokuto’s chest. “Sota will be happy when Kazuma gets this.”

 

Hokuto glared at the box; snow white stripes and gold glitters for a bow, wrapped neatly in vivid fabric. He sighs.

 

Kazuma is still asleep, nestled in his arms when Hokuto approaches. “Kazuma” He called out. The popular boy doesn’t budge however. So Hokuto leans over, placing his hand softly on the crown of his head and murmurs Kazuma’s name near his ear once more.

 

Kazuma opens his eyes slowly—fluttering those long lashes Hokuto was secretly envious of and as he lifted his head up to look at Hokuto, his half opened eyes suddenly shot open at the sight of the baby faced boy. “Class pre..si..dent?…” Kazuma’s voice was lower than usual, groggy and if Hokuto dared say, sensual. 

 

Kazuma’s line of vision moved to Hokuto’s palm, resting on his head.

 

“Sorry,” Hokuto immediately retracted, pulling his hand away. “I was just waking you”

 

Kazuma shows no utterance; instead, he locks eyes with the baby faced boy, wordlessly.

 

Hokuto blinked hard, clearing his throat. “Um, this, is—” Why on earth is he stuttering? Maybe it’s because Kazuma keeps staring at him with such a longing gaze. “...is for you.” Hokuto completed his sentence with subtle difficulty and handed over the gift box as he’d been asked of.

 

Hokuto watched Kazuma give the ribboned gift box a suspicious look and then strangely, for just a second or two, Hokuto thinks he sees Kazuma’s earlier in awe expression soften into that of bliss.

 

“Taiki asked me to give it to you” Hokuto found himself explaining and at those words, the traces of a gentle gaze that Kazuma had displayed, vanish completely.

 

“Taiki?” Kazuma asked in confusion and now, disappointment.

 

But Hokuto nods in innocence, unaware to the change in Kazuma. “Yes, it’s from Sota—first year, you know him right? Taiki’s younger brother?”

 

Kazuma stares back at Hokuto in silence. It gets so awkward that either of them looks away and Hokuto has to excuse himself only after the sound of the school bell.

 

Hokuto returned to his seat in the very front of the classroom and at the arrival of their teacher, Akira sensei, he stood for his usual greeting where other students followed in unison.

 

“Good morning everyone, please take your textbooks out” Akira sensei addressed, setting down the coffee that had been in his grip.

 

As Hokuto brought out his school bag and laid it on his lap to take out his supplies, Kazuma raised his hand and per habit, the whole class turned to look at him. Kazuma didn’t talk much and he had a foul mouth at times but Hokuto guesses that is what makes him so popular. It didn’t matter what he did, Kazuma could be doing the slightest thing and he would be the center of attention. People just seemed to like him more the meaner he was. Hokuto personally thinks that is an odd way of love, not that he knows anything about ‘love’ at all.

 

“Sensei, I didn’t bring my textbook” Kazuma spoke in a dull tone, his voice deep as it normally was.

 

And at his remark, others instantly threw their arms in the air. This was their chance. Hokuto was shocked at the scene that unfolded before him. The entire class was shouting over one another. “I can share mine! I can share with Kazuma!” “No, me! Please Sensei, let me share with Kazuma!” “Prince Kazuma, please be my partner!” 

 

Hokuto buried his face in his hands and exhaled a breath. It’s obvious that the staff has realized the influence Kazuma has on people at this school, thus the reason why Akira sensei intentionally did not assign anyone to sit in the desk next to Kazuma and even hid him away in the farthest seat so his classmates wouldn’t be distracted throughout the day. Kazuma is even exempted from running for things like school president because even though it isn’t in his interest, he would still win the ballot without having to try.

 

“Everyone, please calm down” Akira sensei hushed his students with a single pointed finger and when others saw that the older man had already chosen a person of interest, they became silent altogether. “Class president” He suggested. “Please go sit next to Kazuma and share your textbook with him, everyone is happy with this decision right?” 

 

Hokuto is probably the most liked person in LDH Academy, maybe because others didn’t see him as a love rival since he was so neutral about everything, especially, Kazuma. He isn’t sure if it’s written on his face somehow but when he gets paired up with Kazuma for things like class projects, people aren’t glaring at him with hate. And when he is seen near Kazuma or exchanging a conversation with him, he is without fail, let off the hook.

 

“It’s okay if it’s Hokuchan” Someone whispered as Hokuto walked by and when Hokuto glanced toward the voice; Iwaya Shogo was brightly grinning back at him. Shogo is one of many people who really likes Kazuma, Hokuto knows this because Shogo always makes a bento for Kazuma with lots of tamagoyaki in it and sometimes, he would ask Hokuto to taste it before he gave it to the popular boy with a note full of heart stickers.

 

“Pardon me” Hokuto sat down next to Kazuma where their desks are adjacent and for some reason, he feels like Kazuma is staring at him the whole time he pulls his chair to settle down and even as he is taking out his books and pencils to place on the desk. 

 

Maybe it’s his imagination. It’s not like he actually caught Kazuma in the act.

 

Hokuto slides his textbook in between the distance that separates him from Kazuma but to his surprise, Kazuma yanks Hokuto’s desk and he hears both a ‘bang’ and a ‘squeak’ when their desks clash together in a rough manner. Hokuto shifts toward Kazuma; they’re suddenly so close, their elbows are attached and their bodies pressed against one another.

 

“I can’t see” is all that Kazuma mutters (without looking Hokuto in the face) and to make matters much more tense, he scoots his way over until Hokuto is merely one centimeter away. Also, through mellow lessons, Kazuma’s finger brushes upon the back of Hokuto’s hand every time he reaches over to turn the pages and not just that, because they’re by the window, the breeze keeps stringing along Kazuma’s nice scent. Hokuto concludes ultimately that Kazuma smells like fresh cotton with a mix of sandalwood fragrance.

 

“—and that is it for today. Eat something delicious, everyone” Akira sensei ends class with the shriek of his chalk in the midst of finishing what he had been writing on the blackboard. Students rejoice within the echoing chime indicating their break time and everyone scatters on their path to buy lunch or find areas to have their meal outside.

 

Hokuto often eats in the classroom, usually at his desk, therefore as routined, he brings out his lunch and sets the table, his tea resting at one side. He’d forgotten he was still beside Kazuma when he began fumbling his chopsticks around in his food container. He couldn’t break away from being concerned by the fact that he had to pack last night’s dinner since he overslept this morning and couldn’t make a proper lunch. Hokuto’s parents were always away for work so he was accustomed to doing everything himself. 

 

As he picked up a piece of pea from his dish, Kazuma peeked over his shoulder. But feeling the other’s breath on his cheek all of a sudden, Hokuto turned around at such a speed that they almost collide, nearly nose bumping. 

 

“What i-is i-it?” Hokuto stammered, yet again, though it’s not really his fault that Kazuma is always trying to give him a heart attack.

 

“Are you a vegetarian?” Kazuma asks out of nowhere, somewhat still sounding sleepy or maybe he’s just bored (as he usually is).

 

Hokuto furrowed his brows, wrinkles creasing on his forehead. “No…?” He replied uneasily. Why would Kazuma care anyway?—they’re not friends or anything.

 

“There’s no meat” Kazuma pointed out, looking over what Hokuto was eating. “Do you make your own lunches?” He then added. “I wonder how the food you make taste”

 

Hokuto speculates on why Kazuma would ask him such weird questions at times. Kazuma didn’t like using his words and he occasionally blew off people in impolite ways. Like that time he ignored Zin senpai’s muffler present near christmas day and Likiya senpai had to console poor Zin all holiday long. Kazuma is also infamous for rejecting love confessions with one simple phrase. “No thanks.” Apparently, he receives so many gifts on a daily basis that every so often, he turns it down or gives them away to his buddies, depending on his mood that day.

 

So why is it that Kazuma would try to strike a conversation with Hokuto of all people, when he disregarded everyone else? They were assigned to cleaning duties together a couple of times and in the middle of sweeping or brooming, Kazuma would question if Hokuto liked the color red or if he drank coffee and whatnot; never important questions or anything school related. Hokuto had never admitted it but he found this really weird.

 

“Yeah I make my own lunches. And I was in a hurry so I brought leftovers today” Hokuto replied, bringing his chopsticks to his mouth. “Also, what I make...just taste normal I guess”

 

“Can I try some?”

 

Hokuto froze. Did Kazuma not hear him? He just said it was his leftover yet the boy whom everyone deemed a prince wanted to try some...of his leftover dinner? Why? 

 

In the end, Hokuto fed Kazuma. Because Kazuma is looking at him like a lost puppy and if he had a tail, it would be wagging right about now. So Hokuto passes over what he had intended to eat from his chopsticks into Kazuma’s mouth instead and the boy lights up like never before. 

 

“It’s good” Kazuma complimented, faintly showing a smile as he chewed the food and Hokuto finds himself captivated by the charming mark pressing at Kazuma’s cheek that his smile reveals.

 

In the heat of the moment, some of Kazuma’s buddies come bursting through the door and into their classroom, friends from his soccer team; Riku, Makoto, Yusei, Ryu and Itsuki. Out of them all, Hokuto talked most with Riku and Itsuki. Riku was a social butterfly; pretty much was inviting to everyone and is well liked by all. Itsuki is known to be a cold prince; quite the popular one but unapproachable due to his lack of emotions. 

 

Despite Itsuki’s indifferent aura however, every once in a while, he would visit Hokuto in the art classroom and ask him questions about the activities that art club consisted of. Hokuto assumed Itsuki wanted to join but since he already belonged to the soccer team, he wasn’t able to. It would have been nice though, Hokuto is the only member of the said club after all and he often saw the soccer team on the field through the window of the art classroom. The soccer team was full of passion and Hokuto envied them.

 

“Hokuchan!” Riku beamed, waving excitedly; ever so much in high spirits. The muscular boy came over and started to ruffle his hands through Hokuto’s hair, causing Hokuto to giggle as he made “you’re always so cute” comments here and there, up until Kazuma slapped his friend’s hand away.

 

“Cut it out, Riku” Kazuma said, looking sullen.

 

Hokuto misses the scowl Kazuma exhibited, putting it off as a joke while the popular boy started to walk away with his friends. But on their way out, Itsuki turns back around, just swiftly, and he says with the tiniest crack of hesitance, “See you later, Hokuto.” 

 

“Bye” Hokuto said back, oblivious to Itsuki’s stoned face becoming that of a pleased expression.





“Coach said the team’s on a break until next semester” Riku shared as they advanced through ogling eyes and crowds that only seemed to grow. “That’s why Icchan wants to join the art club for a while.”

 

“Why?” Kazuma shot at instantly; and Itsuki too, looks his direction.

 

“Isn’t it because of Hokuchan?” Makoto pried jokingly, shoving Itsuki in a playful manner and as rarely as it was, Itsuki laughed. “Haven’t you guys realized that Hokuto is the only person Itsuki changes his mood around?” He inserted; heedless to the atmosphere.

 

“Itsuki is sweet on Hokuchan too?” Riku interrupted, unaware he was adding fuel to the fire, “Kazuma’s been crushing on him for the longest time though! I like messing around with Hokuto to tease Kazuma. He’s always staring at Hokuto from the soccer field, didn’t you guys know? Hokuto can be seen from the window of the art classroom and from there, Kazuma always stares at Hokuto—” Riku suppressed further words as soon as he saw the look his friends wore.

 

“Oh shi—” He covered his mouth.

 

Promptly, Itsuki and Kazuma began avoiding eye contact as the air thickened. Makoto is staring at his friends with doe eyes. Yusei and Ryu change the topic. “Let’s go buy bread before it runs out. I want to eat melon bread badly” Yusei nervously led the way and Ryu followed with anxious steps.





Hokuto’s last class is physical education with Keita sensei. He’s never exactly been ‘great’ at physical activities  or ‘substantial’ but he does his best. The only thing that makes it hard for him to stand out is because Kazuma and his soccer crew are ‘try hards’ and they’re always running or playing ball as if they’re competing for the olympics or something. Like right now. It’s just a few laps; yeah they’re being timed and must hit under a certain number of minutes but they can still graduate high school even if they ran slowly. So why is Kazuma sprinting like his life depends on it? And Itsuki too; he’s racing beside Kazuma at such a speed that Hokuto thinks they will both take flight at any moment. Is it fun to battle like that? Hokuto wondered. He will just jog at a steady pace.

 

On cue, Riku jogged up to Hokuto. “Hey Hokuchan,” Riku joined the baby face boy at his side and kept the same pace, “Who do you think will finish first?” He asked, pointing to Kazuma and Itsuki who are both still absorbed in trying to grow wings. Hokuto frowned at the question. “I don’t know,” He was legitimately confused at why he was being proposed such a question to start with but he decided to give his futile opinion anyway. 

 

“Maybe Kazuma” Hokuto answered, “He’s a fast runner.”

 

Riku raised one of his brow. “So you’re saying…” The muscular boy reckoned, a finger tucked under his chin. “You know Kazuma is a fast runner because he’s the one you usually watch, right? So if you had to choose between Kazuma and Itsuki, you choose Kazuma?”

 

Hokuto gave Riku a long, confounding look. “No...I didn’t say...all that. What are you even talking about?”

 

Riku doesn’t get a chance to explain himself however, because Kazuma runs by both of them and slaps the back of Riku’s head. Riku then ran off to catch up with his friends, leaving Hokuto to ponder why Kazuma and his friends are being especially weird lately. Riku behaved suspiciously around Hokuto whenever Kazuma was around—like touching Hokuto’s hair or playing with the collar of his shirt to the point Kazuma flicks Riku’s arm or kicks his shin in order to stop him. And then Riku would laugh at Kazuma’s reaction.

 

And Riku constantly asks Hokuto things like “Do you like caramel pudding? That’s Kazuma’s favorite” Or “If you had to choose between banana milk and strawberry milk, it would be strawberry milk right? That’s what Kazuma would choose.” Hokuto gathered that perhaps Kazuma and Riku were just the bestest of friends but still, what does Riku benefit by trying to make Hokuto choose the same things as Kazuma every time? 

 

That is really weird. 

 

At the end of their laps, Keita sensei blows the whistle for a short break. Hokuto heads off to the water fountain for a drink and by the time he returns, he notices Kazuma at the peak of the bleachers. The rest of the students have dispersed and subsequently, Hokuto finds himself walking to the benches where the popular boy was lying down. 

 

When he arrived, Kazuma slept soundly, barely making a noise and his face shielded by the rays of the sun. Hokuto hovered above Kazuma, unconsciously, he reached over to move Kazuma’s hair out of his face, fingers swiping just under the popular boy’s cheekbone. Kazuma shifted and then he opened his eyes and Hokuto stepped back.

 

“Sorry” Hokuto quickly apologized. “I was just trying to get your hair out of your eyes, it looked uncomfortable” he tried to clarify but ceased when he matched his gaze with the other.

 

“It’s alright, I don’t mind it at all” Kazuma slightly smiled and proceeded to sit up, therefore Hokuto was determined he could do no more but take a seat beside the popular boy. He flopped next to Kazuma and fumbled with his feet, managing a glance at the other who yawned wearily. He looked really tired. Even his eyes were bloodshot.

 

“Have you been getting enough sleep?” Hokuto pried, “I often see you dozing off in class too.”

 

Kazuma chuckled back, the combination of deepness in his voice and laughter blending together bittersweetly, like honey and coffee. “What—are you worried about me, class president?” 

 

Hokuto thinks this is probably the first time he is seeing Kazuma’s laughing face from up this close or him making this much of an enjoyable expression at all and somehow, Hokuto falls short of breath. He came to believe that Kazuma had such a bewitching spell over people that even he is at a loss for words.

 

“I’m just kidding” Kazuma said in the midst of silence, suddenly breaking away, “I haven’t been sleeping well so I’m just really tired.”

 

Hokuto gave a disapproving stare and on reflex, he folded his arms, “Then why were you racing Itsuki like there’s no tomorrow?” He’s so used to lecturing others that sometimes, he doesn’t realize he’s doing it to people he isn’t close with. That’s why a second later, he regrets it when Kazuma is staring back at him confusedly. But then Kazuma begins to laugh again, that laugh that makes Hokuto feel warm and fuzzy inside and his regret becomes yesterday.

 

“You were watching me” Kazuma remarked, almost in a teasing manner though ‘teasing,’ Hokuto didn’t know Kazuma was capable of that.

 

“I’m sure everyone was watching you

 

Kazuma seemed to be thrown off by Hokuto’s comment. He isn’t sure why.

 

“We should head back.”





Hokuto generally did not stay at school late. He would spend some time to paint in the art room for a couple of hours and then be on his way pretty early in the day. Today however, is the start of their school festival preparations which would be happening in the next two weeks thus, Hokuto as class president, had the duty of planning a meeting for tomorrow. He spent a sluggishly long time in the staff’s office with other students until after hours and they were advised to leave. It was nighttime by then and Hokuto was in a hurry to catch the last train when he was stopped by a teacher in the hallway.

 

“Hokuto, would you mind going to get Kazuma? We’re locking up soon and he’s still in Akira sensei’s classroom.” 

 

Hokuto was perplexed. He had heard the soccer team was on a break so why is Kazuma still at school? There is no one here at this time besides staff and the student council. Even so, Hokuto agreed as per request and made his way to Akira sensei’s classroom. When he got to the scene, Kazuma was undoubtedly there—still sitting in his usual desk by the window, snuggled inside his tucked arms. Hokuto sighed as he walked over to the sleeping boy and this time, he didn’t have to say anything. It’s as if Kazuma felt Hokuto’s presence or somehow detected his scent and woke up as soon as Hokuto was in front of him.

 

“Class president…” Kazuma mumbled in an exhausting tone. 

 

“Hey, we have to go, they’re locking up soon” Hokuto said, gesturing with a wave for the other to stand, “If you want to catch the last train, you should come with me fast”

 

At his words, Kazuma got up from his seat and swiped a hand across his face to erase any trace of fatigue. “Yeah, let’s go” He invited as he stood leveled with Hokuto and it became clear to surface that Kazuma is a head taller than the baby faced boy and the realization of their height difference began to make Hokuto feel oddly safe.

 

The weather outside is exceptionally cold tonight. Wind is blasting at their faces to such a degree that it feels like Hokuto’s cheeks have frozen. Kazuma doesn’t speak on the way to the station and all Hokuto can hear is the other’s breath over his shoulder as they walk closely together. At times, they would bump knuckles or graze fingers on the way due to their proximity but Hokuto sets it aside as mere coincidence.

 

There aren’t many passengers on the train when they get on, must be because it was already so late. Hokuto sat at a seat nearest to the door and Kazuma quietly followed. Not much was shared, only things like “Which stop?” and “Are you cold?” in which were both asked by Kazuma and his deep, charming voice. 

 

“Which way?” The taller of the two questioned as soon as they stepped off. 

 

“I’m this way” Hokuto circled around and promptly, Kazuma offers to keep the baby faced boy company until he reaches home. And he does—Kazuma keeps his word and he walks Hokuto all the way to his front porch. 

 

“See you tomorrow” Kazuma bidded as Hokuto started to part his own way.

 

Just before having to leave for the night however, Hokuto turns back one last time and there Kazuma was, hands stuffed in the pocket of his slacks.

 

“You’re not too far, right?” Hokuto inquired, his nose began to blush from the cold weather. “I’m sorry to trouble you, you even walked me all the way home.”

 

Kazuma laughed, white smoke escaping the gaps of his mouth, “I’m in the opposite way” he answered playfully, his voice cracking just a tad due to the low temperature.

 

“What?!” Hokuto nearly screeched. He assumed Kazuma had been walking with him because they were going in the same direction. 

 

Kazuma laughed harder at his reaction, “I just wanted to make sure you got home safe”

 

And even though Kazuma is showing such a delightful expression, Hokuto feels a weight in his chest.

 

“Hold on a minute—” Hokuto remembered. He opened the door to his house and grabbed a muffler that he kept on his coat hanger. One of his favorites; white fur with light grey stripes. He rushed outside and approached Kazuma. “Take this to keep you warm, okay?” Hokuto wrapped the cozy piece of cloth around the taller boy’s nape, b the warmth of Kazuma’s neck as he tied a knot and he hadn’t realized; how tender Kazuma was staring at him the entire time. But at the distance they were at, maybe it couldn’t be helped.

 

“Thanks...Hokuto”

 

The baby faced boy giggled, dimples poking at the sides of his cheek, “I think this is the first time you called me by my name”

 

To that, it seemed Kazuma blanks. Hokuto wondered if there was anything on his face.

 

However, Kazuma blinks out of focus and says, “I wondered when you were going to call me out on that. I did it on purpose” But Hokuto is puzzled as to why that is and prys no further.

 

Kazuma leaves after a minute or so, after properly saying goodnight a second time and making sure Hokuto has entered inside before going his own way.

 

The first thing Hokuto does is take a bath—lavender bubbles. He loved the scent ever since he was a child and would always soak for hours. So as per usual, he does the same tonight as well and by the time he climbs out of the tub, he’s restored and radiating a floral fragrance. On his way to the kitchen, he reads the clock and keeps in mind that it’s already ten o'clock and he can’t spend too much time making dinner. But unfortunately, there wasn't much in the refrigerator, to be precise, there weren’t any ingredients at all. Thus despite how late it was, Hokuto had to head out to the supermarket.

 

Bundled in a lengthy coat that practically stretches to his knee, Hokuto takes another stroll out in the chilly weather. The baby faced boy inhales a sharp puff of air and pulls out his phone, distracting himself from the crowdless streets with the device. The flaring sign of the convenience store near his house is what he sees first; blinking light bulbs of red and blue. It hadn’t mattered yet; because his destination was the supermarket a couple blocks down. But he didn’t expect to be diverted by the figure underneath those blinking light bulbs.

 

Hokuto and Kazuma were classmates; that’s it, nothing more. That’s why this night was like any other night. It should’ve just been any other night.

 

Hokuto recognized the muffler he had just given away; and even if it was hard to depict in the depths of the night, he thinks his body responded before his brain did. Because Hokuto would know Kazuma anywhere. That’s why he made his way over and as he suspected, Kazuma was sitting in the patio in front of the convenience store, face down in his arms, exactly the way Hokuto had found him a number of times.

 

Hokuto perched next to the popular boy and gave him a tap. “Kazuma” The baby faced boy whispered, resting his palm softly on Kazuma’s back. Kazuma didn’t react however, so Hokuto resorts to leaning over and laying across from the other, his cheeks pressed against concrete surface. Kazuma shifts—comes up from his curled up arms and lies sideway, face to face with Hokuto, though still snoozing. Hokuto blinks in surprise. They’re fixed at either side and Kazuma is so close that Hokuto can see all of his features. Kazuma’s every line, contour; the small mole under his left eye and even the double piercings on his earlobe. At that moment, Kazuma roused from his dreams. 

 

Hokuto shot up immediately; just as soon as they locked gazes and he started to feign a cough. Kazuma plopped back in sitting position and ran his fingers through his hair, yawning in the process. 

 

“Why haven’t you gone home yet?” Hokuto inserted amid a short distance.

 

Kazuma narrows his sight, adjusting his yet still disorientated senses and when they return, he spun to look at Hokuto. “Truth is…” the popular boy stated, “I haven’t been going home”

 

“Why?” Hokuto interrogated, perhaps too quickly. 

 

Kazuma displayed an unreadable expression. Hokuto thinks it looked a lot like loneliness. 

 

“I’m having some family problems…” the other unraveled, “So it’s difficult to be at home.”

 

Hokuto felt the world drop; because he never thought he would see such sadness on Kazuma’s face. Kazuma who was so perfect; whom everyone loved with every piece of their heart, the one person who could have anything at the snap of a finger. That person was the one hanging at an edge—on the verge of falling.

 

“I’ve been killing time at night and then going home in the morning” Kazuma explained. “I don’t like being there so I just clean up and grab stuff I need then I head out again.”

 

Hokuto frowned; lips puckering out just a bit. “Why don’t you stay at a friend’s house? You have so many. And what have you been doing about meals?”

 

Kazuma chuckled coldly, “I just want to deal with it alone” He said simply. “It’s not that bad, don’t worry. It’s not that big of a problem—”

 

“You can’t just tell me that—” Hokuto retorted, strangely angry and he could tell he surprised even Kazuma since the popular boy froze in place, staring back blankly. “Why don’t you…” Hokuto didn’t even realize the words coming out of his mouth. “...just stay with me in the meantime? I can cook you meals and my parents are away for work so you can sleep in my room and I’ll sleep in my parent’s room.”

 

Kazuma concealed a smile. “Really?” He swiftly asked with those sparkling puppy eyes of his, to which Hokuto could do no more but reassure him with “Yes, as long as you need.”

 

Though Hokuto wondered why Kazuma didn’t want to stay over with his friends yet he agreed to stay at Hokuto’s unsupervised home almost right away. 

 

“Before we head back, I need to go to the supermarket to buy ingredients for dinner and tomorrow’s lunch. What do you feel like eating?” 

 

Hokuto led the way; waiting until Kazuma caught up and before leaving, he quickly fixed Kazuma’s muffler again. Kazuma stood still and laughed after Hokuto finished, and then he stated that he wanted to eat omelette rice for both tonight’s dinner and tomorrow’s lunch. 





“It’s going to burn!” Hokuto stirred his pan of fillings at such a speed, the vegetables started to spill pretty much all over the place. Smoke hastened up to the ceiling; the sink water was still running due to the bowl of lettuce he was trying to wash since a minute ago and he hasn’t even touched the eggs. “Kazumaaaa, it’s going to burrrrnnn!” He shouted again. He heard the bathroom door open and shut earlier so Kazuma should be done showering by now. What’s taking him so long to dress anyway? 

 

On cue, he hears footsteps down the stairs.

 

“Here—I’m here” Kazuma hovered behind Hokuto, his hair still damp when he grabbed the spatula from the shorter. Hokuto whirled around too fast that he bumped right into Kazuma’s chest and on instinct, Kazuma wraps his arm around Hokuto’s waist, fingers clutching to the curve of his hip. Hokuto’s palms land on the taller boy’s chest and he comes to a standstill because of how rock hard Kazuma’s pecs were. “Oh, I, I’m sorry” Hokuto stuttered, blinking away. But Kazuma laughs, his grasp still firm around Hokuto’s waist; at least until the baby faced boy pulls away in bashfulness.

 

Hokuto’s pulse was pounding so fast just now.

 

“I’m going to chop the lettuce” He switched the subject and scurried away, trying to hide his beating heart.

 

Kazuma kept an unvarying rate, tossing the meat in the pan over and under, along with colorful bell peppers and carrots while Hokuto prepared a salad with sliced tomatoes. Soon enough, he took over for the other and wrapped two nice omelettes. After setting the table, Hokuto invited Kazuma to sit beside him . “Can we turn the tv on?” Kazuma asked, and Hokuto eagerly consented; grabbing the remote control straight away.

 

They started to enjoy their food over some kind of romantic series.

 

“Your cooking is really good” Kazuma complimented after several bites and it caused Hokuto to smile contentedly. “I can eat it forever.”

 

“Oh yeah?” Hokuto challenged with the raise of a brow; he pointed to Kazuma’s plate in which he had filled with crimson sauce, “Then why are you drowning your omelette in ketchup?” He teased.

 

Kazuma shifted his eyes to his plate, spoon hanging out from his mouth and then he transitioned to a laughing face. “I like putting a lot of ketchup on my omelette rice”

 

“—but the egg and the filling, even the rice is really good.” he added.

 

Hokuto giggled in return and promised to make something delicious tomorrow as well. Like a child, Kazuma asked for curry with a wide grin and Hokuto of course, could not refuse.

 

“We should get ready for bed” Hokuto suggested after doing the dishes together. He showed Kazuma upstairs and into the bathroom. “I have an extra toothbrush for you” The baby faced boy said as he handed over the item. Hokuto spread some toothpaste onto their toothbrushes and the sink water. They stared at themselves and at each other while two minutes passed; spitting out a final wash from their caverns.

 

“Wait, what are you—”  Hokuto’s hands flew to his face and he covered his eyes because Kazuma suddenly took off his shirt and threw it on the floor. “You can look” He told the shorter and chuckled while he said it. Who sleeps shirtless? Hokuto thought. But he found himself unable to look away because Kazuma is loitering around with his abs exposed. Hokuto fiddled with his thumbs; Kazuma climbed to bed just as he was, top half bare and still wearing his accessories. 

 

Did Kazuma really want to give Hokuto a heart attack or what?

 

Hokuto went over and as nervous as he was or how much his hand trembled, he pulled the blanket on his bed to cover Kazuma. “—to keep you cozy…” Hokuto couldn’t help his words from faltering and not just that, all too abruptly, he is pulled in bed with Kazuma. Kazuma had his grasp around Hokuto’s wrist a fleeting second ago; and even now that he has sunk into the mattress next to the other, his grasp remains firm. 

 

“What—what d-do you think y-you’re doing?” Hokuto asked, frozen in the other’s embrace.

 

Kazuma jabbed back at him with laughter and then gently released the baby faced boy. “You smell nice” The popular boy said after lightly sniffing Hokuto’s nape. “Like flowers. I like it.”

 

Hokuto pulled a few inches away. “T-Thanks…” He tries to look away but ends up too distracted by the way Kazuma keeps staring at his lips so deeply; like getting lost.

 

“We should go to sleep” He changes the matter and hopefully, Kazuma will change where his gaze was too; because it makes him feel...he wonders what this feeling is. Fear, perhaps.

 

“It’s almost midnight.”

 

Kazuma nods but instead of excusing Hokuto, he tucks three fingers under the baby faced boy’s chin and lifts it up. “But I would rather we just share a bed” Kazuma says suddenly, “You don’t mind sleeping with your classmate right? I mean, that’s what we do during field trips anyway.” 

 

Hokuto’s eyes immediately enlarged. Yes, he would mind actually. But Kazuma also made a point, and although he didn’t know what the popular boy’s intentions were, he agreed. 



He slipped under the blankets that the other was currently wrapped in and snuggled next to Kazuma who subsequently positioned himself in a comfortable place beside Hokuto. The baby faced boy felt Kazuma’s arms close by; maybe amid some time, those same arms snuck around his waist and maybe, just maybe he enjoyed the warmth that they shared in one another’s hold. 





By the time morning came, every piece was starting to connect like a puzzle or fate of some sort. Hokuto got their lunches ready and packed Kazuma’s in his own bag. He prepared breakfast; rice, miso soup, and fried mackerel. Kazuma got out of bed a bit later and came down in his uniform. As usual, his hair is slicked back and silver jewelries adorned his earlobe, rings on his fingers and a necklace around his neck. Kazuma also wears his attire messily; he never buttons all the way and his tie often hangs loosely. Precisely, the exact opposite of Hokuto who wears his uniform too properly.

 

Kazuma ate his breakfast while making relentless remarks about how he wants to eat Hokuto’s home cooked meals forever; to an extent that it oddly starts to sound like a marriage proposal. 

 

Furthermore; they go to school together, walking side by side while boarding the train where many students in identical clothing join. The morning rush is as it typically is, the worst, and Hokuto is squeezed within confining bodies. The ride rocks back and forth, causing him to crash into one person and the next, since he and Kazuma had to stand due to the seats being fully occupied. The following minute, it jerks forward and he almost collapses but fortunately, his savior rests at his side.

 

Kazuma snatches Hokuto by his waist. “You alright?” His breath ghosted over Hokuto’s ear because in the stance they were; Kazuma was holding Hokuto from the back and his chest covered the baby faced boy’s entire back.

 

Hokuto nodded swiftly and afterwards, Kazuma let go of him. But Hokuto could feel Kazuma’s body caging his own; like he would have been ready to catch Hokuto again in a heartbeat and that, it made his chest feel like it was swelling.

 

But besides from the incomprehensible feelings that Hokuto keeps feeling for Kazuma, the day goes normally. He takes notes as usual in his desk at the front of the classroom while Kazuma is in the back probably looking out the window and not paying attention.

 

Around noon, Hokuto leads a meeting about the school festival that will be held. After a short discussion, the class decides on doing a cafe wearing yukatas; mostly because they have Kazuma and know he will be the selling point. “We can put Kazuma in a blue yukata and have him serve iced coffees! We’ll be the most popular!” Someone had shouted. “Yes we’ll make the most money!” Someone else added in excitement and the class roared uncontrollably.

 

Shogo shot up from his seat, “I know a place where we can get a great deal on yukatas! Hokuchan, I’ll take you there—” he started to hop up and down like a bunny that had consumed candy or caramelized carrots and soon enough, the rest of the students are throwing ideas out of their seats. It turned into chaoticness. Shogo had become the leader of this chaoticness and students became disordered through yelling over each other. But Hokuto was fired up from this ‘chaoticness’ because it meant his classmates were motivated rather than finding it meddlesome. He had Kazuma to thank for that because Kazuma is the reason why people will gather needless of a reason. As long as Kazuma is there, people will stay. He had such a power to unite others that Hokuto was sometimes envious of him for it.

 

“Okay everyone” Hokuto interrupted with an enraptured laughter, “Let’s calm down first.” He motioned his palms at a higher level and then lower, indicating louds voices to turn dimmer.

 

Hokuto’s eyes searched for Kazuma, detecting the popular boy who had already been looking back at the class president with a playful smirk.

 

“Kazuma” Hokuto addressed and all eyes shifted to the popular boy in anticipation. “Do you mind being the face of our cafe?”

 

“If it’s what Hokuchan wants, I’ll do anything” Kazuma grinned and gave a wink.

 

Hokuto’s mouth drops; maybe heart attacks were Kazuma’s specialty after all. Because it isn’t only Hokuto who is fluttered but the rest of the class. Maybe if this was a comedy movie, there would be heart emojis in everyone’s eyes and confetti bursting through the air.

 

“Kazuma is sooooo kiiiinnndd~” the students exhaled simultaneously, hands folded and tucked under their chins in pure admiration.

 

Hokuto hears whispering from one mouth to another, something with his name and Kazuma’s name in it; mixing and blending incoherently. 

 

Either way, he ends the discussion with plans for the cafe’s decorations and menus to be commenced as soon as the following day. Hokuto will be working on splitting teams and assigning each group a role. 

 

By the time lunch rolls around, Hokuto is so engrossed in working out all the festival activities that he brainstorms on paper while eating and he almost doesn’t notice when the seat beside him becomes occupied. “You don’t need to work that hard” the voice beside him echoes. Hokuto spins around and is met with epitome of perfection. Kazuma meets his gaze and gives him a lopsided smile while eating the lunch Hokuto prepared.

 

“I’m almost finished, see?” Hokuto slid over the piece of paper he’d been working on and unhesitantly showed the other; not registering how natural their relationship had suddenly become overnight.

 

Kazuma moved an inch closer; though he had already been only a centimeter away, they stick to an extent like being stuck together with glue. He leaned over Hokuto’s shoulder, chewing his food slowly while inspecting the baby faced boy’s brainstorming paper carefully. The mere fact that Kazuma did that—that he actually looked at it so sincerely, Hokuto’s stomach churned with swarming butterflies and he doesn’t know why. He hates this feeling...because he’s scared of it.

 

“You only have me down as a server” Kazuma said as he pointed to his name on the piece of paper, staring back at the baby faced boy, “You put yourself under decorating duties, shopping, both desserts and barista duties and you also put yourself as a server. Aren’t you overworking yourself?” 

 

Hokuto laughs a tad softly, “Well, because everyone is expecting you to do the biggest job on the day of the festival—sell, I won’t be doing much of that. Plus, I’m the class president so this is the least that I can do for everyone’s sake.”

 

“You don’t think you’ll sell anything...” Kazuma stops mid sentence, wearing a face of confusion then he transitions to reaching over and he places his palm on Hokuto’s cheek, “...when you are this cute?” 

 

Hokuto gapes with wide open eyes. Kazuma is smiling when he caresses Hokuto’s cheek softly; for a couple seconds or more before descending his arm. When he finally does that is when the baby faced boy snaps out of a daze.

 

Fortunately, Riku and the rest of the crew arrive and Hokuto thinks he’s never felt so happy to see the latter. Except for the fact that when Itsuki looks Hokuto’s way, Itsuki looks sort of...angry.

 

“Kazuma, you’re eating with Hokuchan today huh?” Riku struts in, grinning as big as always. Makoto is carrying a basket of bread that they probably bought from the canteen and Yusei has an armful of drinks. “I have apple tea, peach juice, and milk coffee. Anyone want anything?” Subsequently, the soccer crew starts assembling around. Itsuki on the other hand, still seems to be glaring at Hokuto although he isn’t sure what he’s done to piss off Itsuki. 

 

“Give Hokuto a milk coffee” Kazuma stretched over his friends and grabbed the beverage from Yusei, placing it on the top corner of the class president’s desk. 

 

“Same lunch!” Riku shouted before Hokuto could even thank Kazuma; alarming every person surrounding. “You guys are eating the same thing! Omelette rice!” The muscular boy began pointing his finger at Kazuma and Hokuto’s lunches, gathering the attention of many; so much that Hokuto’s cheeks start burning up and Itsuki appears as if he’s become that of a mad dog. 

 

“Don’t tell me—” But Riku doesn’t utter any further words because the next thing Hokuto knows, Kazuma is on his feet and he tackles Riku over. 

 

“Hush. You’re embarrassing Hokuto. I’ll tell you about it later.” Kazuma whispers for only Riku to hear.





Kazuma starts walking with Hokuto to classes together for some reason and during certain periods, he would seek out Hokuto in class to strike a short conversation with the baby faced boy. Simple things like, “Can I borrow a pencil?” or, “Can you explain this to me?” and Hokuto would take a seat with Kazuma, carefully explaining notes while they became immersed in studying together.  

 

Even in Keita sensei’s physical education class, Kazuma begins to run alongside Hokuto. Perhaps because of that, his friends eventually join them as well and the competition they used to enjoy ceases. Itsuki remains pretty much wordless for the matter but at times, he would glance at Hokuto and smile shortly.

 

Kazuma has also started to wait for Hokuto at the end of school every day of the week. Most days, Hokuto would go straight home and when he got out to the entrance of the gates, Kazuma would be standing out there, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone. It’s become natural for them to take train rides home together and strangely, to live together too. Kazuma seems to enjoy their trips together to the supermarket and to the convenience store as he would be the first to remind Hokuto of things like “Hokuto, we’re out of carrots” or “There aren’t any tomatoes, Hoku” And even though Hokuto had been flustered by the nickname ‘Hoku’ at first, it’s now become a habit.

 

At the supermarket, Hokuto would roll a shopping cart around and Kazuma was always the one to throw ingredients in; making suggestions such as “How about ice cream?” or “Can we have potato chips? They have my favorite” and Hokuto complies each and every time.

 

Lately, Hokuto has come to realize he likes having someone in the house with him; especially someone to eat with, to study with and to...share a bed with. Sometimes, he’d even wake up to Kazuma’s arms s around his waist and he would just snuggle next to Kazuma for a few minutes. 

 

Hokuto’s dad calls by the end of the week and Kazuma for some reason, picked up the call. The baby faced boy had only found out after he hung up. “Your dad asked who I was and I told him I’m your classmate who’s living with you. He said okay and that he sent you more grocery money.” Hokuto was so confused...at Kazuma but more at his dad. At the fact that his dad wasn’t fazed at all that he’s been living with another boy for a week now.

 

When the second week arrives, Hokuto and his classmates have done at least half of their class’s festival preparations. A lot of shopping has been split between students and today, they’re working on making paper lanterns, pom poms and other crafts. Kazuma has been helping more than Hokuto had planned, mostly because Kazuma said “I’m going to wait for you anyway so just order me around” therefore, Hokuto has been having the popular boy help out other students with many things and they seem to be more than delighted.

 

Sometimes, Riku, Itsuki and Makoto would come by to check on them, teasing Kazuma about being so clingy to Hokuto. Makoto often brought snacks and sweet drinks to share and always gave Hokuto a lot of refreshments after whispering, “Kazuma makes me buy a lot for you” and he’ll wink before going back to joke around with his friends. Itsuki has started talking a little more. He often comes with the others and when Hokuto is alone, Itsuki would enclose the baby faced boy and chat over trivial topics; mostly asking, “Are you guys doing alright?—almost finished?” or “Are you going to stay for the confession segment?” Itsuki always asked questions with such a monotone voice.

 

“Confession segment?” Hokuto found himself asking. He hasn’t heard of that...or maybe he hasn’t paid attention to it before. If his memory serves right, last year, he left after his class finished selling. All the events following that are unknown to him.

 

“Yeah,” Itsuki locked gazes with Hokuto for once, though he glances away soon after, “It happens during the festival every year. Usually around eight after classes finish selling and teachers release everyone to enjoy the food stalls and hang out around the shrines. Didn’t you do any of that last year?”

 

Hokuto innocently shook his head which only made Itsuki chuckle.

 

So Itsuki’s laugh sounds like that...Hokuto thought.

 

“You…should stay after this year.” Itsuki said, practically under his breath and his back facing the baby faced boy. Hokuto wondered why Itsuki was glaring at Kazuma who was across the room while suggesting such a thing.

 

“Yeah, maybe I’ll try to enjoy it this time.” Hokuto agreed and once again, he saw Itsuki’s hesitant smile.

 

“That’s good, I’ll come find you.” 

 

Hokuto observed Itsuki walking away and he loses himself in thoughts of why Itsuki concluded their conversation the way he did.






In these recent days, Hokuto feels like he is being followed. Luckily in the mornings, he is with Kazuma and is less afraid but—even when they’re together, Hokuto can sense eyes on his every move. Regrettably now that they are growing closer to the festival, he’s been having to do a lot of shopping trips in the spur of the night and although he tries to have someone else tag along, he can only feel his stalker’s presence grow closer and closer.

 

Hokuto hasn’t told anyone, not even Kazuma and mostly because of that reason, now he’s growing more fearsome as the days pass. He’s frightened of every road he takes. That reason is because yesterday, to his dismay, he caught a small glimpse of the person who had been following him around. It was last night when he went out with Shogo to get some extra flour and sugar for their desserts, that he saw his stalker lurking in the shadows outside the same supermarket he was in. It’s a guy probably just a bit taller than Kazuma who hides his identity behind sunglasses and a hat. At this point, Hokuto knows he’s got to be a stalker because normal people don’t wear sunglasses at night.

 

However, it gets worse. His stalker has begun trying to get closer to him. In the mornings inside the train he takes to school, he has been noticing the same guy in sunglasses and a hat who would stand merely a few feet away. Everytime Hokuto looked his direction, that guy turned away really fast, as if he didn’t want to be seen. The strange thing though, is the guy’s hat and sunglasses were all name brand items; some days, his stalker wore Gucci and other days, Dior. 

 

The presumably rich stalker hasn’t tried to talk to him yet; Hokuto notices the guy would see Kazuma in bodily contact with Hokuto and then he’d move away. But the uncanny feelings don’t go away as Hokuto starts to realize that that guy has found the school he attends and occasionally spied on him from the front gates. Hokuto knew this because he could see the stranger from the classroom’s window, sticking his head out from behind corners. It’s really starting to freak him out.




Today of all days, Kazuma is stolen by Riku and the rest of his crew. When class ends, the muscular boy is dragging him away, saying something like, “I found a really cool boba tea shop with Shohei, you have to come try it!” tugging Kazuma away as if he were a puppy being hauled by a pack of wolves.

 

“Wait, no—” Hokuto tried to reason but before he is able to get anything through, Riku is halfway out the door, pulling one of Kazuma’s arm while Makoto pulls his other, Itsuki and the remaining boys following closely.

 

“Don’t be sad Hokuchan! I’ll bring him back later along with a milk tea that has a lot of tapioca pearls in it for you!” is all that Riku shouts when he and his friends disappear with Kazuma.

 

Hokuto has never wanted to kick Riku in his shin so badly. “Clueless idiot.” he mutters under his breath. Either way, he has no choice but to return to the festival tasks that he and the other students were currently working on. 



“Hokuchan, we need more glue for the paper ornaments”

 

Great. Hokuto thought. If he gets kidnapped because he needed to buy glue for a freaking school festival, then today really has got to be the worst day ever. He sought around, looking to find someone to accompany him but all the students in the classroom were already absorbed in their full efforts of either painting welcome signs or cutting confetti that he couldn’t find it in his heart to take any of them away.

 

So he heads out with his wallet in hand but instantly regrets it as soon as he stepped foot out in the entrance gates. Hokuto was just thinking nothing could happen in broad daylight when a hand comes out of nowhere and grabs his arm. When he spins around, his stalker is right in front of him, wearing a hat and sunglasses as usual, and attempting to pull him away with monstrous strength.

 

“AAAHHHH! LET GOOOO!” Hokuto starts screaming at the top of his lungs. When he realizes no one is around, he screams even louder, shaking his arm in a struggle to escape out of his captor’s grip.

 

“Hey, hey, calm down, I’m not a suspicious person”

 

The stalker speaks. His voice is deep yet calming. And he’s drenching in a cologne that Hokuto feels strangely familiar with. Fresh cotton and sandalwood.

 

...this guy...has the same scent as Kazuma.

 

And staring at the guy up close now, this guy looks...kind of like Kazuma. That’s when the stalker yanks off his glasses, though his grasp still tight around Hokuto’s thinner wrist and he says, “I’m Kazuma’s older brother, Hiroomi.”

 

Hokuto was speechless. Hiroomi was the splitting image of Kazuma; an adult version. He even had a mole under his eye—exactly the way Kazuma did. And the same intense glare that they shared...it’s as if they were a mirror of each other.

 

“You can call me Omi.” 





“I can’t believe Kazuma didn’t tell his boyfriend anything about his brother.” Omi said as he sat across the baby faced boy in a cafe that he had been brought to. The place has a nice mood—their concept colors were that of warm tones and vibrant flowers adorned the tables while soft music played in the air. 

 

Hokuto has relaxed over served caramel macchiatos and triangular shaped sandwiches presented on a silver platter. But Omi’s remark, it confuses Hokuto and throws him into deep confusion. Hokuto’s pulse loses a count. He recognizes that along with his chest that decreases in size. 

 

Hokuto fumbled with his fingers nervously. “Kazuma has a boyfriend?” he dared ask and Omi proceeded to gape at him in deeper confusion.

 

“Aren’t you his boyfriend?” The older brother asked.

 

And Hokuto who had been consuming his drink through a straw, abruptly spits out his beverage all over Omi’s expensive looking shirt.

 

“I’M SO SORRY!” Hokuto shot up from his seat and immediately started to wipe Omi’s shirt with napkins at their table. In an anxious manner, he sprung around in search of more napkins but ended up tripping over his own foot and when he looked up, he saw Omi laughing back at him. Hokuto looked toward the older brother and realized that he wasn’t as scary as he appeared to be. His face actually became quite gentle when he laughed because those dimples just under his lips softened the glare he so often wore.

 

“You’re such a klutz” Omi remarked in the cease of his laughter, “it’s cute, no wonder Kazuma likes you so much”

 

Hokuto frowned. However, he returns to his seat and Omi carried the conversation he’s been waiting weeks to bring up.

 

“I was actually following Kazuma at first,” Omi started, “I was wondering where he was staying since he stopped coming home. And then I saw you with him—walking to and from school together, shopping for groceries and whenever you guys rode the train, he’s always guarding you so eventually, I figured you were his boyfriend because…”

 

When Omi stopped talking for a second to stare at the baby faced boy, Hokuto tilted his head in innocence.

 

Then he continued his conversation. “Kazuma acts differently around you. He’s always so protective of you—”

 

Hokuto gaped with doe like eyes but could only listen as Omi went on.

 

“Initially, he stopped coming home because last year, we found out that our parents wanted to split. Kazuma is going to be an adult in a few years is what my dad said. He’s going to be fine without his parents,” Omi’s voice cracked just a bit when he spoke and Hokuto also felt his heart ache a little. 

 

“Kazuma has always been quite the spoiled child. He’s used to having his way.” Omi resumed, “Did he ever tell you? Up until his junior year, he spent every one of his birthdays at the amusement park with our parents. It was his favorite thing. It’s something about balloons or ferris wheels that cheer him up.”

 

Omi paused and searched for something in his wallet. Hokuto waited until the older brother handed over what he’d been in search of. “Amusement park tickets” Omi said with a smile. “His birthday was last month. Can you take him?”

 

Hokuto displayed a smile back even though his chest had started to swell again. For some reason, Kazuma’s pain hurt more than his own ever did.

 

“I want Kazuma to come live with me and my fiance in our new house” Omi shared in between tension, “But he keeps refusing me because he thinks I’ve betrayed him by getting married. You see, Kazuma has this...what do you call it...brother complex?” Omi explained laughing, “He has always clinged onto me so much that when he found out I started dating my fiance, Iwata Takanori, he began ignoring me. Whenever I brought my fiance over to our parent’s house, Kazuma shunned conversations that we would try to start with him and Kazuma would even do things like sneaking too much salt into Takanori’s food or purposely putting too much sugar in his coffee.”

 

Hokuto giggled; he didn’t know Kazuma had such a cute side to him.

 

“Maybe if you ask him...he might consider it?” Omi grinned brightly at the baby faced boy, “I think he likes you more than he likes me now.”

 

Hokuto choked from the comment. “W-Why would you think that?!” He exclaimed a tad too loud, though all Omi does is laugh harder at his reaction.

 

“I would like for Kazuma to be at my wedding in a few weeks. Who knows? Maybe he’ll go if you go—so this is my direct invitation for you.”

 

Omi winks back at him and Hokuto gulps in the edge of his seat. These brothers and their winking problems. And—Kazuma’s older brother thinks that Kazuma likes Hokuto? For some reason...Hokuto thinks that is a nice idea.

 

“Do you want to head back to school? I’ll walk you.” Omi proposed after paying for the food and drinks he originally bought for Hokuto.






By the time Hokuto returns, night is nearly approaching. Omi probes questions like what Hokuto usually makes for dinner and if Kazuma is eating well; what they’re learning at school and whatnot. “Our school festival is in a couple of days” Hokuto told Omi as they approached the premises of campus and he is about to divulge into details when all of a sudden, they get to the entrance gates and Omi is slammed against the wall. Hokuto stood back. Kazuma must have been waiting for him...but he didn’t expect Kazuma to jump Omi as soon as he saw the older man.

 

“What the hell are you doing here?” Kazuma sharply retorted, his arm slung across Omi’s neck, “Get away from Hokuto”

 

Omi smirked in triumph; perhaps satisfied that he finally got a reaction out of the other.

 

“Chill out, little bro” Omi retaliated, a smile tugging the corners of his mouth.

 

But—before things escalate any further, Hokuto snaps out of the inertia he had been confined in just earlier and he makes his way over. He skims his palm against Kazuma’s arm and the taller of the two pulls away from his older brother. Omi seems to enjoy the change in his brother’s expression.

 

“Thanks for walking me, Omi, see you again.” 

 

But the usage of Omi’s nickname seems to tick off Kazuma more than it should and he glares at his older brother until the man has gone off into a cab and disappeared. 

 

“What were you doing with him?” Kazuma asked as soon as they started to walk back to the classroom. 

 

“Omi told me about your brother complex” The baby faced boy answered teasingly. 

 

Kazuma sighs. “He’s alway saying that—” the taller buried his face in embarrassment. 

 

Hokuto laughed, “This side of you is cute” he said without realizing; only realizing it when Kazuma is staring at him with a blank face.

 

“Well, I mean—” Hokuto stumbles over his words, running through plentiful of ideas in his mind and trying to sugarcoat it somehow but could only attempt, “everyone likes you”

 

Hokuto shouldn’t have said that. Because now he feels that butterfly feeling again and it’s making him tremble. But then he hears Kazuma laughing and it’s like euphoria. Like a door of happiness that soothes every nerve in his body.

 

Everyone likes me?” Kazuma playfully pokes fun at, “Even you?”

 

That kind of joke—Hokuto wasn’t expecting it. So he’s completely silent for a while, up until Kazuma says “I’m just kidding” half disappointed and half dejected.

 

When they return to the classroom, Hokuto realized he forgot to buy glue (which was the reason why he left in the first place) and he was gone for so long that Shogo had already gone to the store to buy some—with Riku. “Riku didn’t want me to go alone so he came along” Shogo told Hokuto with a big grin while holding a boba milk tea in his hand, “Riku gave me this, it’s so good”

 

Hokuto glared at Riku and the muscular boy mouthed a silent “I’m sorry” apologetically.

 

Shogo is oblivious to Riku’s crush on him of course, and continues to stare at Kazuma who is beside Hokuto with hearts in his eyes. 

 

“Um, anyway” Shogo says when he finally breaks away from looking at Kazuma too hard and shifts his attention to Hokuto, “Hokuchan, are we set to go to the yukata store tomorrow? It’s our last weekend—”

 

“Actually” Hokuto interjected in a tentative manner, “I have...plans tomorrow,”

 

The popular boy turns his direction, wearing a perplexed expression but says nothing yet.

 

“So let’s go on Sunday? Nine in the morning will be perfect and we can get some more ingredients for the desserts later on too. It will probably take the whole day but at least we’ll be set on Monday for the festival, right?”

 

Shogo nodded with a big grin, “Sure! That sounds great.” he answered before leaving.

 

“You have plans tomorrow?” Kazuma questioned right away and Hokuto nods, reaching into his pockets to grab the tickets Omi had given him earlier.

 

“Yeah, with you” Hokuto beamed radiantly, “Amusement park tickets, you’ll go with me, right?”

 

He did his best to smile cutely.

 

“Did my brother put you up to this?” Kazuma interrogated with playful suspicion and Hokuto swayed his palms in front of himself in denial of Kazuma’s conclusion (which was totally accurate). After some contemplation however, he agrees to the idea.






In the morning, Hokuto awakens to harsh sunlight shining through his bedroom window. Kazuma is still curled up in bed, hiding from the beams beneath a pillow so Hokuto gets up first and goes into the shower. While he is being washed by warm water, he starts to think about things like “What should I wear today?” or “How should I act?” and his head suddenly becomes so bombarded about ideas of this being a ‘date’ that he has to turn the water cold to cool off his head. 

 

In the mirror, he stares at himself too long for once. Hokuto has never spent this much time looking at his own reflection but there he was—wondering why his blonde hair won’t fall in place.

 

In the end, Hokuto styles his hair as usual and progresses to try and find something to wear but after digging through his whole closet, he begins to feel upset. What do people wear to amusement parks? He’s never gone to one. Never as a child since his parents were always away. Should he wear something comfortable? Or should he dress up because it’s a weekend and people will probably look fancy? He’s utterly lost.

 

However, he opts on a white cardigan and light jeans—switching from shoe to shoe prior to hearing Kazuma’s voice from behind. “What happened? Your clothes are all over the floor”

 

Hokuto spins around and he meets with the typical ‘morning’ Kazuma who is shirtless, laying on bedsheets with an exposed torso and his hair, a mess. Though it’s an image Hokuto often saw—today, he feels especially bashful and has to look away because Kazuma’s necklace hanging around his nape is already making him more nervous than the fact that Hokuto has touched Kazuma’s bare chest countless times.

 

“You, um” Hokuto rubs his eyes, “should get ready soon. I’m thinking we should go out for breakfast today” he switches the subject.

 

“Sure, I know a place. You like pancakes, right?” 

 

Hokuto nodded from where he was and Kazuma replied a short, “—okay, I'll go get ready” just as he got out of bed and rushed to the shower.



Hokuto went downstairs and waited for the other on a couch with the television on. He played with his phone until he heard footsteps trudging his direction. Kazuma always did get ready really fast and it didn’t surprise Hokuto that Kazuma is handsome in whatever he wears. Leather jackets really flattered his masculinity; especially with the accessories that decorated his physique so well.

 

“Ready to go?”

 

Kazuma took Hokuto to a cafe restaurant near the site of their destination. “You first” The taller invited (as the gentlemen he was). Hokuto met with pastel colors and floral decorations the moment he walked in. Their table is one by the window where a vase of roses sat in the middle. Kazuma orders everything for him and when their breakfast arrives, Hokuto is gaping in excitement. A tower of pancakes was placed before him with vibrant fruits surrounding soft whipped cream. Hokuto loved sweets...he wonders if Kazuma already knew that.

 

Hokuto grabbed his fork and plunged into sugar coated fluffiness. When he chewed a bite of the pancakes for the first time, he thought he would burst into confetti. “It’s so delicious!” Hokuto nearly fell off the edge of his seat. Kazuma whispered “cute” under his breath—and continued to watch the baby faced boy’s soft laughters with a smile. Hokuto stuffs his face with transitioning expressions; up until he smears the corners of his mouth with whipped cream. 

 

“You look like a baby” Kazuma chuckled—reaching over and he wiped Hokuto’s lip with his finger, swiping a thumb against the surface of skin.

 

Hokuto froze. Kazuma’s finger moved around his lip slowly; and their gazes didn’t break away. It is when the baby faced boy manages a muscle that he mutters, “Thank you” and Kazuma pulls away.





Amusement parks are a place of happiness—that’s what Hokuto heard when he was a child. The moment he stepped foot in the entrance, alongside Kazuma; the scent of caramel popcorn filled his senses. “What is that?” He asked innocently. “It smells nice and sweet” Hokuto observed the view in a meticulous manner, like a newborn seeing the world for the first time. Vivid colors struck his sight; and screaming voices of joy poured from the sky.

 

“Caramel popcorn. You want some?”

 

Hokuto nodded eagerly at Kazuma. “It’s my first time at an amusement park” the shorter shared as he slipped into the busy crowd. “Ever? You never came as a child?” Kazuma asked while guiding him toward a booth where a long line formed. The waves of people flowed endlessly—couples on dates, families with children and so forth. Everyone had smiles and Hokuto came to believe that this really was a place that granted happiness because he couldn’t stop the jittery feeling inside of him either.

 

“Here, my majesty” Kazuma said jokingly as he passed over a red and white striped bag filled to the brim. 

 

Hokuto grabbed a handful and gobbled the snack messily—Kazuma watched him with a fixed gaze and concealed a smile. In the end, he ate the entire bag by himself and as they squeezed through seas of people, Hokuto’s vision brightened when a whirling machine of pink and blue came to sight. “Cotton candy!” The baby faced boy pointed a finger and started to prance around in excitement. It made Kazuma laugh; the kind of laugh that seems to sprout only in the season of spring. “What color?” Kazuma took out his wallet and Hokuto cheerfully answered, “Pink!”

 

“It’s melting!” Hokuto stuck out his tongue to show off; the sight of pink feathery matter vanishing on his moistened flesh. Kazuma ruffled his hair in adoration and proceeded through yet more incoming crowds.

 

“What ride do you want to go on?”

 

Hokuto wanted to go on everything. Ferris wheels, carousels, spinning teacups—all of it. But he brought Kazuma here by Omi’s request so it isn’t his day to enjoy but rather, the other way around. Yet he thinks maybe it must have been written on his face or he’s probably just a transparent person because Kazuma chuckles at his very expression and says, “Let’s try to ride everything.”



The carousels were the best; Hokuto thought as soon as he climbed onto a wooden white horse. It carries his weight as high as the ceiling then it comes back down carefully and Kazuma records him with his phone the entire time. Hokuto closes his eyes to the breeze of the wind and inhales a breath of fresh air; not realizing when Kazuma steals a few shots along with videos.

 

On the other hand, the spinning teacups are like some kind of ‘spinning hell.’ Kazuma doesn’t listen when Hokuto begs “Stop turning it” and relentlessly pivots the wheel at the center until the floor is twirling at such a rate that Hokuto can no longer feel his feet.

 

The swing ride was next, which was a variation of the carousel and instead, suspends them in the air, then circles the riders until dizziness is unfading. “Can we rest for a while? I think I’m sick” The baby faced boy puffed a heavy breath as they exited. Kazuma brought Hokuto to sit down at a bench and went off to buy drinks. “Something cold and fruity please” he had asked and Kazuma returned with just that—a strawberry smoothie.

 

Hokuto guzzled his drink almost desperately; to the point he gets a brain freeze and he groans out in discomfort. Kazuma laughed and patted his back, his touch kneading in soothing motions. Hokuto spends some time resting on the table, snuggled inside his own folded arms, maybe too long while watching the blueness of the sky pass him by. The clock ticks away and the clouds are starting to feel closer by the time Hokuto is caught off guard by Kazuma who is looking off into the distance. Hokuto followed his gaze toward the midst of the crowd. A full face painted clown and individuals in fuzzy animal costumes—but that isn’t Kazuma’s focus. 



Kazuma’s gaze wandered to a small boy who rode his father’s shoulder, admiring the balloon he carried in his own hand with a huge grin. Hokuto pondered on what that expression is. Kazuma’s exhibition of feelings couldn’t be described with words. That’s when it suddenly hits him that he had never seen Kazuma like that—so captivated, enthralled, or perhaps that gaze was...what sadness looked like.

 

“Did he ever tell you? Up until his junior year, he spent every one of his birthdays at the amusement park with our parents. It was his favorite thing. It’s something about balloons or ferris wheels that cheer him up.”

 

Omi’s words resounded like an echo through a tunnel and Hokuto’s feet started to move on its own. “I’ll be right back” He ran off—not making out that Kazuma had followed just after he scurried away.

 

“Thank you for your purchase!” 

 

Hokuto grabbed hold of the bundle of balloons and expressed his gratitude to the man behind the balloon stand before hurrying back. He gripped tightly to the twisting strings that began to knot against one another and slipped back to the crowd. People gradually dispersed—revealing Kazuma who had emerged through blurry faces. 

 

Kazuma’s expression shifted from uncertainty and dejection to tenderness in a split second. Hokuto couldn’t distinguish if he was happy or mad. When he passed over the bundle of balloons and wrapped the taller’s hand firmly around the connected strands, Kazuma stared at it like he was lost; somewhat falling astray.

 

Hokuto was puzzled. Omi said balloons would cheer him up...but it didn’t. Instead the next instant, Kazuma releases the balloons that had been stiff in his grasp and they all go scattering into the sky; strings floating away as freely as the birds flapping their wings through the clouds.

 

“Why…did you do that?” Hokuto sighed. He awaits a response that he doesn’t get for a while but when he receives it, Kazuma’s voice is broken and torn.

 

“I don’t know...moving on I guess” 

 

But—there is such a glint in his eyes that Hokuto steps forward without the slightest bit of hesitance and he wraps both his arms around Kazuma’s nape. Hokuto smiled against Kazuma’s shoulder; conquered by warmth as he drew circles into the taller’s back. After some minutes pass, Kazuma slides his arm around Hokuto’s waist and wordlessly, he crushes Hokuto in an interchange of his own embrace. It seems the world stops in their minds. Hugging was a new thing to Hokuto, but he didn’t mind it at all.




“When I was young, everytime I rode this and it stopped at the top, it felt like the clouds were within reach” Kazuma spoke with a sentimental tone as the ferris wheel lifted the capsule they occupied, off the ground. Hokuto sat across the other; they both faced the large window at one side and Kazuma avoided looking at him. “I used to wonder what they felt like—the clouds, because they resembled cotton candy so much. I would try to touch them through this glass—”

 

Kazuma fixed his gaze out the window; looking nowhere else but the levitating view.

 

“The summit of the ferris wheel, that was the peak of my happiness. Omi told you about my brother complex, didn’t he?” Kazuma feigned a laughter, but to Hokuto—it sounded more like a silent cry. “Believe it or not, I was quite the misfit when I was a kid. I hated school a lot back then. So my older brother was my best friend and my parents were my whole world. Amusement parks were my place of happiness because it was always all about me. I could have anything I want and spend forever with my parents. But now...everyone has...my family has fallen apart…everything is just gone.”

 

The ride ceases at the very top and their capsule shakes just a bit in thin air. The sun is beginning to sink around this time and it seems Kazuma has submerged in his memories too.

 

“I hated amusement parks for a while—because it reminds me that happiness is just a fleeting thing. One day, even people important to you will leave you. They’ll go on to live their own lives and you’re the only one left at a standstill. It’s like this ferris wheel. Once you’re at the top, that scenery you experience—you’ll never feel as happy as you were then. And when it’s the end of the ride and you know you have to go back home, you only wish to return and be lifted to that peak of happiness you once felt at the summit of the ferris wheel.” 

 

Hokuto suddenly can’t control...the tears streaming down his cheeks. He doesn’t dare say anything. Only his eyes burn and his body trembles in silence. It’s after Kazuma realizes that noises have gone deaf between them that he finally turns around. He’s gaping with wide opened eyes when he meets with such a sight.

 

“Why are you crying?” Kazuma didn’t know how to react. It seems as if Hokuto cried for Kazuma who cannot.

 

But—Hokuto’s tears are shedding like flower petals; too beautifully. 

 

So Kazuma does what he probably shouldn't have. He holds out his hand and sets his palm on Hokuto’s wet cheek. Hokuto doesn’t move an inch. Kazuma takes that chance to close their distance and their lips come into instant contact. Hokuto tastes salty—due to his tears that incessantly fall. The kiss is also very brief; barely a graze and maybe lasts only a second or two. After that, Kazuma is already pulling away.

 

“Sorry.”

 

Hokuto doesn’t mutter a word. One thing is for sure; Hokuto likes Kazuma. His beating heart has answered that before his mind is able to accept it. But there is a first for everything—and this—is a first for him. So he doesn’t know what to say. There is no word that surfaces. And it seems Kazuma has stopped talking too. 

 

That’s why they don’t go home together tonight. “I’ll go to my house. See you on Monday.” Kazuma proposed at the station with an expression that felt indifferent. He’s no longer smiling—there isn’t a trace of emotion on Kazuma’s face. He coldly turns his back on Hokuto.

 

...and Hokuto...can’t find a single word...to make Kazuma stay.






Hokuto barely gets any sleep. He twists and turns all night long and as soon as he shut his eyes, he is already opening them to the sound of his ringtone. “Hokuchan! I’ve been calling you since nine!” Shogo is yelling on the other line and his voice is just so loud that it makes Hokuto groan. “I have been ringing your doorbell since forever! Come open the door—”

 

Hokuto slips off his bed mid sentence and his phone accidentally clicks. Oops. He didn’t mean to hang up on Shogo. So he’s rushing down in his pajamas in the next second and quickly opens his door for the classmate who has been waiting at his front porch for who knows how long. 

 

“It’s past eleven” Shogo frowned.

 

“Sorry—sorry, I’m going to get ready now. Come in”

 

The whole day is filled with never ending plans. Nothing goes smoothly—the intention was to meet with a few classmates at a time during different hours and discuss what colors and patterns matched their cafe’s concept. Everyone is late. Literally. Taiki was supposed to be one of the first ones to meet them...but he doesn’t arrive until late afternoon. “I was at the mall with Sota and we were having so much fun, I forgot” Taiki apologized numerous times.

 

“Kazuma is the most important one” Shogo looked out the store window in search of the missing boy. “He should be here soon…”

 

“You have one picked out already, don’t you?” Taiki asked. Hokuto pretends not to hear Kazuma’s name and focuses on the mannequins wearing yukatas in the store.

 

Shogo smiled sheepishly, “Well, the class decided he should wear blue. I came last week and put this one on hold. What do you think, Hokuchan?” He held up the piece he had been talking about. Blue—like azure stones with faint darker stripes, tied together by a black sash.

 

Hokuto nodded. He’s still not sure how he is going to face Kazuma when the popular boy arrives. He’s been wondering if he should just let Shogo handle the fitting because the indifferent face that Kazuma showed him last night at the train station—hasn’t left his memory. Kazuma was the one who kissed Hokuto yet he apologized...but the worst part is Hokuto couldn’t even make out a “It’s okay, don’t apologize” and what he regrets even more is not being able to tell Kazuma “Don’t go back to your house if you don’t want to.”

 

...but he doesn’t meet Kazuma that day. Kazuma never comes. Instead, Shogo gets a call from Kazuma and Shogo is the one to carry on the message to Hokuto. “Kazuma says he can’t make it so he’ll leave it to us.”

 

Great. Kazuma is avoiding Hokuto even harder than he was trying to. That somehow made Hokuto sadder than he was yesterday. He has no clue if Kazuma even likes him or not but somewhere inside—Hokuto always felt like he was at least a little more special than others. And Omi was saying all those things about Kazuma being protective and whatsoever so he could keep his hope up, right? Hokuto tousled his own hair in frustration. Kazuma is to blame. He’s always flirty. The winks and smirks; and the teasing…

 

...Kazuma had NO RIGHT to ignore Hokuto. That’s what he concluded and suddenly, he’s fired up rather than depressed. So he kept himself busy. It wasn’t hard to. There was a lot to do, especially because he was so occupied with his classmates. The fitting and picking took a long time—and the one who chose a yukata for Hokuto is none other than Shogo. 

 

“You will look good in white!”

 

Shogo fits Hokuto into his yukata nicely. He chose an entirely white piece—no pattern, just the pigment of snow and a crimson sash.

 

“Oh my—” Shogo gasps and covers his mouth. “Hokuchan, you look so cute!” He swiftly spins Hokuto around so he is able to look at himself in the large mirror. “Look at how it compliments your skin tone and your blonde hair. You look like an angel that fell from the sky!”

 

Hokuto laughed at Shogo’s amusing reaction. “You’re exaggerating.” But he did like the way it looked. It wasn’t too fancy and as Shogo said, he also thinks this color suits him well.






The next day is the start of the school festival. It’s lively as soon as Hokuto gets to the front entrance. A huge welcoming sign fell from the building and food stalls were being set in place. The trees around campus are being decorated with stringed light bulbs and beaded garlands hung from above. It’s also blaring with noise—bands rehearsing in the auditorium and music that plays from the intercom; mixing messily with the overlapping voices of students. 

 

Hokuto made his way to the culinary arts room while squeezing through individuals wearing animal costumes and others in maid attires. Crossdressing theme, Hokuto thought. Interesting.

 

In the culinary arts room, the rest of his classmates are waiting. “Hokuchan!” Shogo waved from behind the oven, his cheeks powdered in flour. “I was making preparations.”

 

Everyone had spread out—Hokuto spun a random direction and immediately locked eyes with Kazuma. Kazuma was sitting on top of a counter; in the midst of laughing and having small chats with those who idolized him at such an extent. But as soon as he saw Hokuto, he stopped to stare.

 

Hokuto fluttered his lashes; blinking too fast. He immediately twirled back around and proceeded to where Shogo was. As nervous as he was after that subtle interaction, Hokuto tried to break away by being his usual self. “Since we don’t need to make the cakes and pies, let’s get started on the cookies and cupcakes right away, alright?”

 

Hokuto gave each person a role, ignoring only Kazuma—who hangs his head low in disappointment to such a result. And eventually when Hokuto looks around, Kazuma has wandered off somewhere. 

 

Beating eggs and whisking sugar—he does that so he isn’t immersed in every single thing that Kazuma is doing. Chocolate chip, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon. Those are the words he replaces with questions that cloud his mind, like, “Where did Kazuma go?” or “Who is Kazuma talking to right now?” 

 

Those kinds of things didn’t bother Hokuto before...it doesn’t. It shouldn’t. But his eyes keep burning the more he ponders about it.

 

At some point, Riku has infiltrated their room to strike a conversation with Shogo. Other students from different classrooms also arrive one by one, wanting to hang out with their friends. Hokuto doesn’t really have anyone who comes for him...so he disregards those feelings that try to overtake his senses and absorbs himself in baking. 

 

He bakes...and bakes...until there is nothing left to bake. 

 

Unexpectedly—Riku swings by and grabs a cupcake that Hokuto had set down. “Hey Hokuchan” The muscular boy smiled the same smile that he wore everyday; bright and cheerful. “Your pastries are delicious.”

 

It’s only such a small thing; but Riku and maybe Shogo...were the closest he had to friends and in this moment that Hokuto needed it the most, they both appeared like saviors.

 

“Thank you” Hokuto feels warm and fuzzy for the second time.

 

Riku’s expression turned to that of sympathy; chestnut brown orbs sparkling. “You and Kazuma should make up. You guys are making these faces as if today is the worst day of your lives. And today—is supposed to be the best day.”

 

Hokuto sighed. He drooped his shoulders. And then he transitions to a soft laughter. Riku always played this part—like a cupid of some sort for him and Kazuma. So Hokuto should have seen the signs. All those times he tried to categorize Kazuma and Hokuto onto the same list of things. He chuckles at the realization. But this too—friends, it was a first for him. And though he doesn’t know how to react to either love or friends, he’s going to at least stop secluding himself. People have feelings; they shouldn’t just get tossed aside. And Kazuma was the one that had poured out everything in all sincerity. Yet—Hokuto didn’t say a word back that evening.  

 

“Just be honest with your feelings.” Riku gave Hokuto a pat on his back and on his way out, he whispered something to Shogo; then he left with the biggest grin.

 

An announcement from the intercom stipulates the commencement of the festival. Students celebrate—immediately gathering in cliques as soon as they begin to disperse. In the dressing room, Shogo fixes Hokuto’s white garment for him; sharing glances across a short distance. “You look lovely” Shogo says with a dazzling beam. He straps the red sash around the curve of Hokuto’s waist and then he roams about to find a hairbrush. 

 

“Here, sit down, let me tidy you up” They accompany a stool by the mirror; close ranged and up close—too close. Shogo wears a smile and he’s dazzling in the yellow yukata that he is embellished in. His fingers brush through Hokuto’s hair with gentle movements; caressing and fondling the blonde strands—nurturing Hokuto as a sibling would to their own. 

 

“You’re my friend…” Hokuto suddenly blurts out. “...right?”

 

Shogo laughs shyly, his cheeks blushing a shade of pink. “Aren’t we?” He suggests. Shogo combs through Hokuto’s hair and then he meets with the other’s dubious gaze. “There is something you want to tell me, isn’t there?” Shogo asks. “Does it have something to do with how you’ve been acting since yesterday? You’re zoned out...and you look as if you are trying so hard to hold something back.”

 

Hokuto bit his lip—nibbling his bottom flesh; feeling skittish. “I like Kazuma, sorry, don’t be mad”

 

He thought he knew what to expect. Maybe Shogo will quietly walk out the room and never talk to Hokuto again...or perhaps Shogo will slap him and tell Hokuto to get out of his face. Either sad—or angry. Hokuto thinks it might be one of the two. But to his surprise, Shogo is laughing candidly with glittering eyes.

 

“Hokuchan, I know that. And Kazuma likes you too.” Shogo spoke through a genuine smile; while wiping Hokuto’s cheeks with a handkerchief he had. “You are probably the only person who doesn’t know because your back is always turned but Kazuma stares at you a lot. In class, out in the field, from the entrance gates, in the hallway—I think that you are the only thing that crosses his mind all day long.”

 

“And we meant it when we said it’s alright if you’re the one who ends up with Kazuma” Shogo added. “Because you’re Yoshino Hokuto. No one in this world suits him better than you.”

 

Hokuto gaped in a stupor. It surprises him to such a degree that so much faith was placed on him—that those who loved Kazuma at that extent were more than happy to hand him over just because it was Hokuto who they would be handing him over to. It’s a strange new feeling that sprouts in his chest; like blossoming reliance.

 

“So can you go bring Kazuma back here to change into his yukata? He is procrastinating again” Shogo brought Hokuto to the exit and gave him a pat on his shoulder (the same way Riku did) then gave him a push of confidence. “Go on.”



Cherry blossoms are floating about as Hokuto strides through swarming crowds. His sandals make a ‘click, clack’ sound with every step and for some reason, people’s faces are starting to look like a blur. “Hokuchan!” Someone shouts from within the masses of students who disintegrate and assemble. Tall, rugged, short spiky hair—Kaisei. He has a few others with him; Shohei, Takuma, and Takahide. They look sharp in their yukatas as well—and each one of them had trays of pastries that piled up to their chins. The four boys stumbled over in a hurry, golden leaves landing at the crown of their heads.

 

“Wow, you look…” Shohei couldn’t look away from Hokuto, “...like an angel.” He expressed with a goofy grin.

 

“You fool!” Takahide chortled at the shorter. “Hokuchan looks really cute though—”

 

Kaisei blinks out of captivation, closing his mouth that had been open. “We’re not sure how to set these and guests are already arriving at our classroom” he explains.

 

“Oh, okay, I’ll come with you guys, I just need to tell Kazuma to go get dressed—”

 

“—Kazuma is over there” Shohei intervened, pointing to a group of boys chatting under a cherry blossom tree. “Come on, let’s hurry!”

 

Hokuto is joined by the four boys who scurries at his side while he hastened his pace over to where Kazuma was. Riku is there—so is Makoto and Itsuki, Yusei, Ryu, and some boys from another classroom. Hokuto’s yukata sleeve slips just slightly, exposing a bit of bare skin when he reaches Kazuma. 

 

Kazuma isn’t paying any attention at first—engrossed in laughing at something Makoto had said just seconds ago. But when Hokuto yanks his arm all of a sudden, Kazuma turns to him and stands motionless at such a sight. His laughter fades almost instantly. He doesn’t even blink. Kazuma doesn’t think he’s ever seen anything more beautiful. The image of Hokuto in that snow white yukata, his shimmering strands of light colored hair reflected in the sun and the pink petals that danced around him—it deserved to be framed and kept as a treasure forever. Kazuma couldn’t tear away; so he stares mesmerizingly at Hokuto as if he’d been hypnotized.

 

“You have to go change”

 

But in the end, what brings him back from a daze is the sound of Hokuto’s voice.

 

“Huh?” Kazuma blinked. Ah—they’re speaking again.

 

Hokuto looked back at him with doe eyes; like those of a lost deer. “You should go change…” he repeated.

 

“Oh...okay.” Is all Kazuma manages before Hokuto lets go of his arm and is hurrying away with the classmates he came with. It’s fleeting—like the happiness he once felt.




Hokuto is packed with continuous things to do when he returns to the classroom. As Kaisei mentioned, there were many guests lined up outside their door already. Their decorations finished well—and they were ready to serve. Therefore, Hokuto invites their guests in and they begin to give out menus right away. The cafe becomes packed in just a few minutes that when Shogo reappears with Kazuma at his side—he’s gasping in shock.

 

“We’re so busy!”

 

Hokuto is also stunned. Not at the successful business but at Kazuma who can't get any more handsome. Blue truly was his color—something about his raven black hair or his sun kissed skin tone that pairs so perfectly with it. Of course he isn’t the only one that’s charmed. The guests become enthralled immediately and not just that—somehow word has traveled outside and because of Kazuma, many guests come bursting through the door.

 

Kazuma as expected, is their number one server. He doesn’t try at all and he doesn’t smile either but people who come in are merely excited to look at his face and others are just begging to hear him talk.

 

By evening, it seems they have raised enough money. There isn’t even a slice of cake left nor crumbs remaining from the pies. The cookies were sold out first and cupcakes came second in popularity. There aren’t any contents to make drinks at this point as well so when the students are looking to Hokuto with droopy eyes, he as class president, makes the announcement they awaited.

 

“Alright, we’re finished. Go enjoy the festival—” 

 

Everyone congratulates each other, hugging and giving handshakes just as they rushed out in joyful laughters. Hokuto ponders about cleaning up or going home—then on cue, Kazuma sneaks up behind him. 

 

“Hoku...you want to go get something to eat?”





Hokuto always enjoys being with Kazuma. Every second is filled with laughter and today of all days—is the funnest day of the year. There’s a band in front of them—of familiar faces, playing a nostalgic song. Hokuto shares takoyaki with Kazuma under beaded garlands and twinkling light bulbs. They sit in the middle of the quad in front of the performing stadium and Hokuto can’t stop smiling when he feeds Kazuma with his own hands. Kazuma is smiling too—he’s laughing again. The emotions that he once stole have returned. And that, just remembering that, he transitions from laughing to frowning.

 

“I need to tell you…” Hokuto’s chest feels heavy as he speaks. “...that I’m sorry.” 

 

“Why? I’m the one who kissed you.” 

 

Hokuto shook his head at Kazuma. “Not about the kiss. That—I liked it” He admitted. He depicts the perplexed look on the other but for now, Kazuma listens and speaks not a word. “After you were telling me about your family and your brother, how you hated amusement parks and ferris wheels, I couldn’t say anything. That’s what I’m sorry about. The truth is, I wanted to tell you that everything is going to be okay”

 

Nothing is exchanged between them at first and Hokuto wonders if he should continue. But he gathers his courage and goes on; he makes his first confession ever. “So what I’m trying to say is that...I like you.” He’s afraid of the words that had finally escaped his mouth but what scares him to the core is Kazuma’s response. Except when he spins around to take a look at what Kazuma’s reaction is, he is left baffled. Kazuma is staring at him with the same look from earlier when Hokuto was telling him to go change

 

Hokuto panics for a moment. But then the next thing he hears is Kazuma chuckling and when he glances at Kazuma, he’s rest assured by that charming smile.

 

“Hoku...I’m supposed to confess first.” Kazuma says, laughing. As Hokuto stares at Kazuma, he sighs in relief. He’s glad that the both of them can be happy again.

 

Eventually—Kazuma and Hokuto are walking around the festival, alongside each other and fingers brushing against one another; as if trying to hold hands. “You’re going to watch the fireworks with me later, right?” Kazuma more so assumes rather than asks, so Hokuto thinks it’ll be funny when he refuses in a teasing manner. And because of that, Kazuma snakes his arms around Hokuto; laughing while swinging the shorter in his arms.

 

“You want a goldfish?”

 

Kazuma brings Hokuto to one of the stalls holding games of ‘goldfish scooping.’ The baby faced boy picks out the one he wants—and then he watches Kazuma crouch over trying to scoop up a goldfish with deep concentration. He fails the first try and the second try too. Hokuto giggles at how hard he is focusing only for the paper on his scooper to break again and again. So Kazuma doesn't end up getting any fishes. Although Hokuto is given a fish by the student behind the stall anyway. Hokuto knows him—he’s from another class, his name is Sawamoto Natsuki. They’ve spoken because Taiki brought him along before. 

 

“Because you’re cute! It’s free!” Natsuki shouted perhaps a tad too loud. He didn’t seem to be fazed by Kazuma’s burning presence and just grins widely when he passes over a plastic bag filled with water and a goldfish swimming inside.

 

Hokuto takes Kazuma away and he starts pouting. “You look like a puppy” Hokuto laughs and he pulls at Kazuma’s puckering lips.

 

“Must be great to get free things for being cute” Kazuma sulks longer and Hokuto nearly snorts. “Oh you’re telling me?” The shorter playfully gives him a slap on the back of his shoulder. “You’re the one who gets free gifts on a daily basis. I heard about Zin senpai—”

 

Kazuma furrows his brows—contemplating between blurry thoughts. “That—I did that because Likiya has a crush on Zin.”

 

“Oh…” Hokuto hung his head, like an unwatered sunflower. But he sprouts back up to full bloom the second Kazuma grabs his hand and intertwines their fingers. Finally, they’re holding hands.



Kazuma and Hokuto stumble their way into a labyrinth of masks. All kinds of traditional characters and animal demons. “There! A wolf!” Hokuto took off the mask that hung on the wall—a beast-like face, with sharp canines and a pointy nose. Kazuma stood still as Hokuto fit the mask on him, fixing it around his features. “You look cool! Stay still—” The shorter stood back and brought out his phone, moving it in midair until he found a good spot and then he quickly snaps a photo. “Handsome.”

 

The labyrinth of masks was connecting to a maze of pinwheels. A fence of colored vanes twirling in the wind. Patterns on the plastic curls varied—stripes, polka dots, flowers, snowflakes, birds, stars and so on. Hokuto ran toward the fence of spinning pinwheels. Kazuma watched the other in adoration—the baby faced boy pointed at the different rotating toys and a smile never left his angelic face. Hokuto circled around with a beaming grin and held one of the pinwheels in his grasp. “Isn’t it beautiful?” 

 

Hokuto inhaled a big breath; his cheeks puffing out cutely, and then he blows out a hard puff in the direction of the plastic curls pinned together at its axle. When the pinwheel twirls, his eyes are gleaming and his laughter—lighting up even the darkness of the night. Kazuma’s mouth curved at such a sight. How beautiful.

 

“Yeah, it is.”

 

Kazuma steps up to Hokuto and he freezes when Kazuma leans forward to give him a peck on the cheek.  



The bonfire starts soon after. “CONFESSION TIME!” Someone is shouting from downhill. When Kazuma and Hokuto arrive, there is a huge open air fire that has flared—small particles of spark that float through drifting smoke. There’s a radio playing music somewhere and people have begun to share slow dances. Lots of couples are made during this segment, that’s what Hokuto has concluded from those who are hand in hand or in each other’s embrace. 

 

“Hokuchan!” Shogo skips over, twisting pinkies with Riku who is grinning all the way to his ears. Hokuto wonders if he should be surprised or not. Though Kazuma definitely isn’t.

 

“Hey, um, Itsuki is looking for you” Shogo tells Hokuto. He just realized he never saw Itsuki since earlier today and he also remembers...Itsuki saying he’d come looking for Hokuto during the festival.

 

“And...Sota is looking for you” Riku points his finger at Kazuma and gives him a suspicious look. “Ironically, they are both together...right there.” Itsuki and Sota were wandering by the bonfire when Riku waves them over.

 

“See you guys at the fireworks countdown—” Shogo hurriedly interjects and before another word, Riku has vanished with him.

 

Hokuto narrowed his eyes at Sota. Taiki was always talking about him and Hokuto sometimes saw him around campus—but only a blur of his face. So he didn’t know Sota was so...cute. His eyes were like almonds, bright and innocent; triangular shaped lips with a small mole just above his upper mouth and his hair, a honey brown color. Sota was smiling relentlessly at Kazuma and he had such a sweet smile. Hokuto began to feel a green monster manifest inside of him. That was a first for him too. Jealousy—that is.

 

“Hey, can I talk to you?” Itsuki’s voice broke him out of a stupor. Hokuto turned around and feigned a smile but the truth is he can’t look away from Sota who dragged Kazuma farther off into the distance.

 

“I have liked you for a long time,” Itsuki conveys and Hokuto falls speechless, only blinking back in astonishment. The boy before him is no longer the same emotionless boy—at least not tonight. Itsuki stuffed his hands in the pocket of his pants and straightened his posture, he stared at Hokuto in his eyes and never tore away even once.

 

“But from what I can tell...you probably like Kazuma...don’t you?” Itsuki asks with an expression that appears sunken. And when Hokuto nods yes, Itsuki’s eyes grow heavy. They glisten just a bit and become almost shuttered.

 

“Okay…” Itsuki’s breath delays. A stoical smile emerges from his face. “He’s my friend so all the best to you both. You’ll see more of me around.”

 

Hokuto nodded again and held out his hand. “Thank you, Itsuki. I’d like to hang out with you more too.” Itsuki grabbed his hand and gave it a long shake. From the touch, it puts a less painful smile on his face.

 

“See you later.”

 

Hokuto watches until Itsuki has been pulled to the side by a freshman, a shorter boy with shoulder length hair, soft curls and blonde highlights. “Itsuki senpai, my name is Sunada Masahiro!—” The freshman shouted excitedly, deep dimples poking at his cheeks. Another confession. Hokuto hopes it goes well for Itsuki and Masa later on after this—he thought. He spun back to where Kazuma was and his heart sank at the scene of Sota hugging Kazuma. Sota’s arms wrapped tightly around Kazuma’s shoulder and his face buried in the crook of Kazuma’s neck. Hokuto’s heart sank because Sota isn’t smiling that sweet smile anymore. He’s smiling sorrowfully and his cheeks are stricken with tears.

 

When Kazuma returns to Hokuto, he falls over and rests his chin on the tip of Hokuto’s shoulder. Hokuto opts on letting him be—because he thinks Kazuma feels especially bad it’s Sota he has to hurt.





Hokuto and Kazuma find themselves a comfortable place to sit on the school field during the fireworks countdown. Everyone else has also gathered at this time. They set a blanket on the grass—noticing Riku and Shogo, Taiki and Ryu, Makoto and a student whose name might be Akihisa Shiono, just nearby. Itsuki has been joined by Masa and Yusei sat with Sota (whom he has been trying to court since kindergarten). Just as they have begun to settle, Hokuto sees another face strikingly as handsome as Kazuma. 

 

“Omi?” 

 

The older brother turned around and started grinning—another man was with him. A pretty boy. Fair skin, red lips and beady eyes. And they just both happen to be in the spot right next to him and Kazuma. Omi began waving at them in high spirits and a big smile. “Hokuchan!”

 

“This is my fiance, Takanori.”

 

The pretty boy—Takanori smiles back and lightly bows his head. Hokuto looked to Kazuma and he was glaring like a mad dog...but then seconds later, his expression softened. “What are you doing here...nii-san?” Kazuma asked his older brother. Omi was stunned. “Are you—not mad at me anymore?” He questioned in disbelief. 

 

Kazuma chuckled back. “Did you follow me again?” He teased. After that, Omi and Kazuma started speaking over one another, talking about things that sounded disarranged. Hokuto manages something about a new clothing brand or a game—but the brothers were too excited to simply be chatting about ordinary things, that although their words were mumbled, Hokuto’s heart felt warm that they finally made up.

 

“—at the new house. I’ll have that game there, you can play it all the time!” Omi’s mention of ‘new house’ seems to catch Kazuma off guard and he pauses for some time. And then he turns to Takanori who looks up with gaping eyes. “Are you really okay with me moving in with you, and my brother, Takanori san?”

 

Takanori immediately grins at the usage of his name and the fact that his fiance’s little brother finally acknowledged him. “Of course!” His voice raising a tad too high. Kazuma laughs and pats Takanori quickly on the top of his head.

 

At the unfolding scene, Hokuto understands for the first time what it means to be happy for someone else. Because—he’s never seen Kazuma happier than he is today. That’s why when the countdown begins and Hokuto thinks that the night could end any time soon, he prays that Kazuma’s smile will never fade. So at 3...2...1, and the first burst of fireworks erupt in the sky, Hokuto drapes his arms around Kazuma’s torso. “I want to hug you.” He murmurs, pressing his cheeks against Kazuma’s chest—hearing as his heart beats.

 

“Me too.” Kazuma sets his chin at the crown of Hokuto’s head. Another explosion of colors shatter in flames and they savor the beautiful view while snuggling in each other’s affection.




THE END


- A U T H O R ' S  N O T E -

♥ The end ♥

REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT OR UPVOTE! I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACKS :)