I'm Smiling

I'm Smiling

you guys might as well listen to this song while reading this one-shot  :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBFcyvRAby0

=======================================================================================================

 

 

The smell of coffee and freshly baked cookies greeted me as I make my way to table number 23. Ah, there he is. He waved his hand to me with his usual aegyo. "I'm glad you made it, _______". I smiled and look at his tired face. "Why do you look so footworn, Jihoon-ah?". He blinked twice and shrugged. "I''ve been quite busy these days. yeah, pretty much..". "Don't lie to me, you dumbo. I know you're not okay" I smacked his arm lightly. He pouted and forced me to eat instead of continuing the conversation.

"Um, ________, do you mind accompanying me later?". I raised my left eyebrow. "uhuh?". He winked and continued eating his croissant. As soon as we're done with our breakfast, we head to an unfamiliar jewelry store. "Dude, why are we here?" I muttered softly since it's such a quiet place. "Just follow me, will you? Sheesh" He glanced at me cutely. I giggled and followed him from behind. As we enter the big building, I look at the pieces of expensive jewelries in disbelief. "Oh my God, why are you taking me to this kind of place again?" I winked. He glanced at me and walked straight to the counter. Without a single explanation, he made me wear a silver ring with a heart shaped white diamond on top of it. 

I look at it and smiled happily, thinking it's for me. "Yah, Pyo Jihoon, what does this suppose to mean?". He smiled and said, "Nothing. I was just testing it on you to see whether it suits me or not". And so he left me at Starbucks and drove off along with the pretty ring. I wonder why he bought it..

 

After a few days, I made my way to the cafeteria like I usually do, alone. As I was about to take my brunch, I overheard an interesting conversation. "......Jihoon is going to marry that rich girl. Oh my God, why her? seriously?" "Oh dude, they're so cute together" "Yeah most probably..". I look at my reflection on the spoon I was holding. It can't possibly be me, right? 

So I spent the whole day thinking which girl could it be. But if he really wants to get married, he would've told me first. I mean, I'm his bestfriend. Shouldn't bestfriends tell everything to each other..? Or atleast I think they should. After much debate with myself, I pressed down his number on my cellphone and dialed it.

First ring... second ring... third ring... he's not picking up my call? He's not usually like this. I redialed his number and at last, he picked it up.

"Pyo Jihoon, how dare you ignore my calls?!"

Silent. no answer. after a few seconds, a slightly deep voice answered me.

"Um, _________-ah, Jihoon is currently busy. can you call him back later?"

"Oh.. okay sure. I will. thanks"

 

Well, I guess I have no choice except to meet him personally. I grabbed my purse without my cellphone and left to search for him. A few hours later, I found him dozzing off at our college's lobby's bench. "Jihoon ah, Jihoon ah, wake up" I pushed his body lightly to wake him up. He startled for a moment and look at me in a state of shock. "w-what are you doing here?". "dude, this isn't your dad's college so it's up to me to come here whenever I want to". "Right, sorry.. well I better get going. bye!". "What's with the rush? You know, I haven't seen you for like, 5 days. I miss you.." I muttered the last three words softly.

"I appreciate that but I really gotta go or else she'll- I mean, I really gotta go. bye bye!" And just like that, he left me alone, again. As the days past by, I continue living my life as usual. but one day, I received a shocking news from my long-lost bestfriend, Hani. She told me she's getting married soon with a guy picked by her parents. She invited me to a special party just to introduce her future husband to he friends. Well, as much as I'm not interested to attend parties, I have to. 

 

I wore a plain black dress with a diamente details on top of the neck line. I  scoot over to the bartender. "Um, can you give me a red wine?" He nodded and start to prepare it for me. I was busy admiring the decorations when all of a sudden, a pretty figure stood before me. "Hey girlfriend, long time no see!" Hani squealed happily and abruptly hugged me. I didn't even get to ask her who's her future husband 'cause she had to greet the other guests. I stroll around the ballroom and accidentally bumped into a familiar figure. P-Pyo Jihoon? He looked at me in a suprise and quickly shifted his gaze. 

"Jihoon-ah, what are you doing here?". He shrugged and was about to say something when all of a sudden, Hani dragged him on to the stage. I knew something wasn't right from that moment onwards. "Ladies and gentleman, I thank you all for coming. as we all know, today I will introduce you my soon-to-be husband, Pyo Jihoon" She said in a happy tone and the crowd applaud loudly except for me. My heart dropped. So did the glass of red wine I was holding. The old lady infront of me glared at me. I apologized and ran off to the nearest restroom.

So this is why he's been acting so weirdly to me? He doesn't wanna tell me about this 'cause he knows he's marrying my bestfriend? Nappeun namja. I punched the wall, causing my knuckles to bleed. I walked off to the lobby. But to my suprise, someone grabbed me by the arm. "___________-ah, wait. let me explain" Jihoon look at me with a sad look. "It's okay Jihoon. I get it. You're getting married soon. Congratulations, my friend. I'm really happy for you" I shaked his hand but then he noticed the bloods on my hand. "W-what did you do, __________-ah? Why are your knuckles bleeding?". "I'm fine, babo. Don't worry about me. I have to go. annyeong!" I faked a smile and an aegyo and walked away slowly to my car.

You should be happy for him, ___________-ah. don't cry, don't cry, don't..... oh hell, tears rolling down my cheeks. Aish babo, don't cry. It's not like he knows you love him. It's your fault. Now I should smile and be happy for him. Yes I should. I took out a piece of paper from my purse and wrote down some things on it. "I will bury you as how I want to bury my feelings for Jihoon, arasseo?". As I was driving, my head was pounding so hard that I felt like crashing into random cars around me. and I did.

 

(Jihoon's POV)

I drove my car as fast as I could just to make it on time. ___________-ah, what are you doing to yourself?! I reached the hospital and scoot over to the ICU. I saw her mum and quickly ran to her to ask her about ___________'s condition. "Eomeoni, is she going to be okay?". She throws a piece of paper in my face and walked away from me. I picked it up and read it with teary eyes.

Pyo Jihoon, yah babo, I hate you. I hate you for making me fall in love you. Do you realize how much I'm hurting because of you? Nah you don't. Cause you don't know I love you. Haha, it's my fault. I'm stupid for not letting you know. I know you would never love me. I notice how you like cute girls, those kind of girls who'd show their aegyos to you. Who'd flirt with you with their high-pitched voices. But I'm not like them. So I know I can never make you fall in love with me. Oh well, what's done is done. As I write this letter, I am crying my bloody heart out, hoping someday someone would read this and tell this babo, Pyo Jihoon, how much I love him. Yah Pyo Jihoon, isn't it obvious that I love you? How can you be so oblivious? I love you so much. Thank you for not being honest to me. I appreciate that. I really wish I could kill you right now, but I can't, cause I love you. I hope you'll live happily ever after with Hani. I love you, I really do, but if it means I have to hurt her, then I'd rather let you go. I'll smile for you. I hope Hani will take a good care of you. Don't worry cause I'm fine. I love you, my friend. 

Love,

___________

 

I brokedown and fell down on my knees. I should've known. I should've known all along that she loves me. She really do. I love you, ___________. I love you. Why didn't you tell me earlier? Babo! After hours of waiting for her to wake up from her coma, the doctor called me to come inside. And there she was, lying so helplessly on her sick bed. She forced a smile as she saw me. I sat near her and grasped her hand. "Please, tell me you'll be okay. Don't die. I need you, _________. I need you in my life" I said with tears rolling down my cheeks. Her pale face still looks so pretty under the dim lights. "I-I'm fine. really". I her hair gently and kissed her forehead. 

"P-p-please, take a good care of Hani.. and please be happy, for m-...." I look at her and her eyes were tightly shut. I screamed for nurses and doctor. The next thing I know, I'm lying down on a bed with Hani by my side. "Hani-ah, what happened to me?". She lowered down her head. "Wait no- what happened to __________? Tell me, Hani. TELL ME!" I yelled with teary eyes. She cried and hugged me. "She can't do this to me.. no...." I buried my head on her shoulders and cried the whole day.

After a few weeks, Hani stood by my side while I stare at ___________'s graveyard. "Oppa, before she died, she left you a letter". I took the paper from Hani's hand and read it to myself.

Don't cry, Jihoon. You look so ugly crying. I'll miss you forever. Please, be happy for me. Make Hani happy. Then only I promise I'll smile and be happy for you. Saranghae, Pyo Jihoon :)

 

A drop of tears fell on the piece of paper and fell down on my knees. "I promise you, I will be happy for you. I'll smile for you. I'm smiling. And, I love you ___________".