Chapter 1

Love; The Word That Resembles You

Life is such a curious thing.

The rhythmic pulsation of the heart, pumping blood that rushes through the veins, the intake of oxygen and the release of carbon dioxide—are these what it meant to be alive? But how can someone, with a throbbing heart and working lungs, feel anything less?

Wendy Son pondered this as she patrolled the set with the keen silence of a stalking predator. The scene unfolds before her, actors immersed in character. She glances at each of the crew, wondering if they were one of the walking dead. They all wore the same expression of concentration; furrowed brows, focused eyes, pursed lips. And Wendy figured out that in a glance, it’s difficult—no, it’s impossible to know if somebody’s dying inside.

Finally, she stops by the monitor, watching the scene unfold from different points of view. So far, so good. The mood was perfect. The air reeked of burning tension as the characters engage into a stare down, gazes filled with disbelief, shock, and fear as they finally realize that the strange surface they accidentally found while digging around their backyard was, in fact, a tombstone. 

For a heavy moment, nobody dares to move. Even she was holding her breath, holding back that one word, that one signal…

“CUT!”

Everybody scatters, like a magic spell uttered activating life’s play button and the set was filled with movement and life. Everyone is always in a rush. She peers over a monitor, critically reviewing the scene again. Beside her, the actresses have gathered to watch.

“I think it’s good. You guys nailed it.” she decides. “What do you think?”

“I mean, if you think it’s good then it is good. No argument needed here.” Lee Sunbin, playing the role of Minyoung, said.

“I’m with her. Director Wan’s words are law.” Shin Doyeon, playing the role of Park Jooyeon, agreed. They gave each other a straight-faced fist bump.

Wendy rolled her eyes.  “You guys are impossible. You just can’t wait to wrap up this last scene, can you?”

“Indeed, Director Wan has psychic abilities!”

“Psychic Wan!”

“Oh, go away, both of you.” Wendy shooed them away, laughing. “Alright, then. That’s a wrap! Good work, everyone!”

She heads straight to the production manager, dodging the rushing crew clearing the equipment. “How are we doing with the budget?”

“Everything’s going well.” he gave her a thumbs-up, “Don’t worry. I’ll let you know if a problem comes up.”

Wendy barely managed to nod her reply when a cameraman approaches her. “Hey, can I ask you a question about tomorrow’s shoot? I’m kind of confused about the tone and feeling we’re going for with Scene 94.”

Wendy goes over the scenes, reminding him of where it fits into the whole scheme of all other scenes and discussing the best way to portray the enigmatic vibe. After their discussion, she gathered with other department heads to watch the dailies and review their work. When they finished, she made sure everyone is briefed and ready for tomorrow’s shoot before retreating back to her office with the first assistant director, Kim Sejeong.

As soon as they enter, Wendy plops down on her seat, throws her head back, and groans. “God, I’m exhausted. Did you manage to get the location for next Tuesday?”

“Fortunately, yes. If the weather doesn’t decide to be a , we’re good.” Sejeong answers.

“If things go well I’m treating the entire crew Korean beef for lunch.”

“We’ll take you up on that.”

They exchanged notes for tomorrow’s shoot and it’s fascinating how ideas never really run out despite deliberating over the same plot every day. Indeed, the human mind is a scary, mysterious place. Sejeong is an amazing AD. Wendy couldn’t have stayed sane without her.

“Unnie.” The girl suddenly says.

Wendy looked at her. “Hm?”

“Is writing a romance really not happening?” Sejeong asks. “I mean, it’s a real pity. I think you’d be very good at it.”

At the mention of ‘romance’, Wendy’s eyes were already back to the paper. “Really not happening.” she confirmed.

“But why?” Sejong pressed. She’s leaning forward on her seat now, eager to hear the tea. “I heard from the grapevine that you’ve sworn off to writing romance but I don’t really get it. Why?”

Wendy sighs, putting the book down. She sees that Sejong had already put hers away. Looks like they’re done discussing the script today. “’Why’, you say? Do I even have to answer that? Isn’t it obvious? Romance is tacky. It’s cliché. We want something new. Something fresh! Everything doesn’t have to end with Boy and Girl falling in love. The world doesn’t revolve around that. One can be independent, free, and happy! We want to show the world that life is filled with mystery—adventure! And it doesn’t always require a romantic plus one.

“Like having an ancient graveyard in your backyard that’s besieged by the souls of those who were buried outside its walls?” Sejeong deadpans. “I’m sorry but if that’s the mystery in my life that I have to face alone, I don’t want it.”

“Hey! We wrote that together!” Wendy waved the script around, “And Minyoung didn’t face that alone! She has a friend! Her name is Park Jooyeon!”

Sejeong is shaking her head. “I just can’t wrap my head around this idea. Won’t thrillers be more thrilling with a love-line?”

“Romance is cheesy.” Wendy says in her most as-a-matter-of-fact tone.

You’re cheesy.” Sejong points out.

Wendy can’t refute that. It’s a known fact that she is indeed cheesy. She crosses her arms. “That’s not relevant.”

Sejong chuckles and starts to put her things away. “Well, from that conversation, it seems to me that you’re just a bitter single.” she stood and shouldered her bag. “You should start dating, unnie. Might change your view of the world.”

Wendy snorts as Sejong closes the door behind her. “Over my dead body.”

Romance, huh?

Bull.

She leaves the papers alone and rolls her seat to the computer. She put on her spectacles and began typing her report. They were almost through filming the series. If nothing goes wrong, the final shoot would be in two weeks. After that would be the rigorous post-production. Still, an excellent finished product does give immense satisfaction. The fulfilling feeling of seeing her vision realized was indeed worth every hour of sleep she sacrificed. And the task keeps her mind too busy to think about other unimportant, irrelevant things such as worries and problems and bills.

Thinking had been a serious hazard nowadays. The deepest corners of her mind had become a dangerous place. So very often she would find herself on her bed, lying sleepless while her mind wanders, an insignificant speck daring to question the universe and of course return only to leave her in a worse state than before.

A cold blow on her nape made her jolt in surprise.

“Holy—!” she whirled around, staring at the newcomer, “Don’t sneak up on me like that!”

Park Sooyoung grins and her eyes twinkle with life. Wendy envies her for looking so alive, for feeling so alive.

She plants a sound kiss on Wendy’s cheek only because she knows how the latter hates it. “Hey, honey. Working overtime again?”

Wendy wipes the lipstick stain from her cheek with a disgusted grimace. “Don’t you know how to knock?”

“I did knock. You just didn’t notice. Here.” Sooyoung dumps a bag of take-outs on Wendy’s lap. “I bet you haven’t had dinner yet. You’re getting thin, love.”

Wendy takes out the bowls of black bean noodles and platters of sweet and sour pork and put them on the table. “At this rate, I won’t be surprised if I hear a rumour of us actually dating.”

Sooyoung smirks. “If that happens, I’d be the first to laugh.”

Wendy snorts. “I’ll laugh in harmony with you.”

They start eating. Wendy slurps up the noodles. She never realized how hungry she was until now. When was the last time she had food? Lunch? God, it felt like ages ago.

“What brings you here?” she asks her friend in the middle of the meal.

Sooyoung shoved a mouthful of noodles into . “What, I can’t visit my honorary wife anymore?”

Wendy grimaced. “Please don’t talk with your mouth full.”

“I still look y, and you know it.”

“You’re getting spit everywhere.”

“Consider yourself blessed.”

Wendy rolls her eyes, giving up. “You don’t drop by randomly just like this.” she pauses, “Wait, did something happen with Seu—”

Sooyoung silenced her by throwing a pickled radish at her face. “You’re jumping into conclusions.”

Wendy picked up the radish and ate it. “Sorry but I can’t help it if the last time you visited unannounced, you were a mess because you—”

Sooyoung waves her away. “It’s nothing like that at all, unnie.”

Wendy thoughtfully chews, thinking of a reason for Sooyoung’s visit. “Are you dating someone in this building then? I mean, you just broke up with Lover #256. It’s about time you jump on another.”

“You’re exaggerating the numbers. And no, I’m not dating anyone right now. I had a meeting with Director Lee at the twelfth floor. We just finished and I was famished because dinner meetings totally kills my appetite but I didn’t want to eat alone and you’re the nearest convenient friend I have who definitely haven’t had dinner yet.” Sooyoung says in one breath. “Happy?”

To the world, Park Sooyoung is known as the actress, Joy Park. She’s been an actress her entire life—at least, most of it. She started as a child actress and has been appearing in the television way before Wendy met her in high school. 

It felt so long ago when she first saw the grumpy but admittedly very pretty girl. Becoming close with her had been difficult. She used to be so snarky and spoiled. Sooyoung used to snap at her each time yet now she gives her a kiss every time they meet. 

“You’re in a new drama?” Wendy asks.

“Yep.” Sooyoung chirps.

“Isn’t your life dramatic enough?”

Sooyoung crosses her arms. “Well, I’m sorry if you have such a boring, monotonous life. Your life is so boring that in the next life, rocks dreams to become you.”

Wendy lets out an offended gasp. “Your life is like that one telenovela that never seem to run out of ridiculous plot twists just to keep the show going.”

Your life is the textbook of dull.”

“Yeah? Well, your life is a rollercoaster without seatbelts on.”

Sooyoung leans back. “That actually sounds pretty fun. But your life—”

“Um,” in their banter, they didn’t realize Choi Wooshik, the film editor, had poked his head in. “If you’re finished roasting each other, then I’d like to leave this.” he hands Wendy a hard drive.

Wendy feels a tinge of embarrassment trickle to her ears. “Oh. Thanks, oppa.”

“No problem. I’m heading home now.”

“Take care.”

Sooyoung starts cleaning up and Wendy helps her. They do the task in peace and quiet as if they haven’t been bickering five minutes ago. It’s always love and war with Sooyoung.

“If I offer you a role in my future dramas, will you take it?” she asks without much thought.

“Hmm, I don’t know, will I?” Sooyoung gives her a sly smile as she shoulders her bag before heading to the door. “I have to go now. More meetings tomorrow, ugh. See you when I see you, unnie.”

“Thanks for dinner. Take care!”

Sooyoung flashes a thumbs-up before closing the door and she’s gone.

It’s always when the person you so badly want to leave you alone actually leaves you alone that melancholy starts to seep in. Her noisy friend’s departure augmented the silence. It’s deafening. It weighed heavily on her and she feels, more than ever, the sense of solitude.

Wendy takes a deep breath, reclining on her cushy seat and mind blanking out as she vacantly stares at the random lizard eyeing a tiny spider.

She isn’t sure when it happened. At some point, life had become rather dull. At some point, her chest had just started feeling heavy and as she continued on living, it just kept on getting heavier and heavier and more and more hollow.

Until there’s nothing. Just an empty, gaping chasm. Just a swirling void of incomprehensibility.

And somehow it’s worse than pain.

She doesn’t really feel anything, doesn’t really think of anything. There was simply nothing. She’s just there, an empty vessel. Like a big, walking unfilled blank. Like a bottle floating aimlessly on the sea. Bobbing up and down, up and down, drifting wherever the tide takes her.

She had gotten the job that she wanted, directed successful movies and dramas, and had been in the limelight and all its perks. But somehow her greedy heart is still filled with discontent and it’s been weighing her down and it’s ridiculous how easy it is to hide such an enormous hole, though admittedly, it’s gradually getting harder and harder to pull the corners of her lips up to a smile.

The lizard suddenly moves with lightning speed. Wendy blinks. The spider is gone.

Funny, how even lizards have a clearer purpose in life.  

Wendy takes another deep breath and finally let the lizard enjoy its midnight snack in private. She grabs her phone and texts the only person she knows would be awake in this ungodly hour, feeling just as ty as she is.

 

***

 

You got a message! You got a message!

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Kang Seulgi ignores her ringtone, too immersed in hitting the chisel with the right amount of force to even notice it. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tiny details always demanded intense focus. One wrong hit and everything could go wrong. Days of hard work, crumbled into nothing.

You got a message! You got a message!

Tap. Tap. Tap.

There. She blows and brushes the dust away and steps back to examine her work. Beautiful. It looks like—

. Not again.

She slams the chisel on her worktable in frustration and runs hand through her hair, messing up her already messy low bun. Seriously, it’s been a year! How could she still—

Seulgi glances at her sculpture and quickly looks away.

Just like many times before, she grabs a white cloth and throws it over the figure’s head, like the majority of the statues in her workshop that had all turned out the same way yet she never had the heart to destroy or throw away. She looks around, looks at the busts covered with a white sheet and thought: This place is feeling more and more like a morgue.

You got a message! You got a message!

Finally, Seulgi remembers the existence of her phone and checks the messages. They were all from ‘Wannie .

Hey.

Seul?

You asleep?

Seulgi sends her reply.

I’m up.

Slr. Was working on something.

I’m coming over with beer.

Cool :D

Wait

It’s just you, right?

Like, it’ll be just the two of us?

I would’ve messaged the group chat if I wanted it to be three

Duh

I won’t betray you like that, stoopid

 

Seulgi slumps in relief. She takes off her apron, dumping it somewhere and cleaned up. It didn’t take long before she hears her front door unlock after a series of beeps.

By the time she got to the living room, Wendy was already on her couch, sipping a can of beer. The television was on but she didn’t seem to be paying attention. Seulgi stops, out of sight, and watches her friend; her slumped shoulders and deadpanned eyes. Her mind seems to travel a thousand miles per hour.

Seulgi steps into her line of sight. The dim eyes considerably brightened but not bright enough. She tossed Seulgi a drink which she fumbles to catch.

“Hey,” she sits beside her.

“Hey,” Wendy smiles and there’s something about it that makes Seulgi worried. She watches her friend again, now closely. She had always seemed fine but during silent times like this, the loneliness manages to leak out of the mask and Seulgi had always noticed.

Tonight’s the first time Wendy went over to her house with alcohol since their college days and being the health nut, water advocate that she is, she only ever comes over with drinks when something’s wrong. The last time was when she received an invitation to her step-brother’s christening. Seulgi takes the hint: something is wrong.

Wendy suddenly chuckles. “Stop looking at me like that, Seul.”

Seulgi blinks. “What do you mean?”

“You look at me like you just discovered I have cancer.”

Seulgi gasps. “Do you?”

“Of course not!”

Seulgi laughs softly and pops her drink open. “Well, that’s a relief.”  she takes a sip. “What’s wrong?”

Wendy blinks at her, clueless. “What do you mean?”

Seulgi shrugs. “You feel lonely.” when Wendy didn’t reply, she adds, “You’re also drinking. You only drink when something’s wrong. Did something happen at work?”

“I also drink when put in pressurizing situations. Like when an elder pours me a drink.” Wendy points out. “But something did happen at work today. Sooyoung stopped by.”

“Yeah?” suddenly, the condensation on her can looks interesting.

“Yeah. She had a meeting with a director for her upcoming project.”

“Right, I remember her telling us about it in the group chat.”

As though on cue, Sooyoung appeared in the television, advertising a brand of soda. The actress smiled, eyes crinkling into lovely crescents as she, for some reason, gets drenched with water while hopping around with the soda in hand.

Wendy grimaced. “Ugh, my eyes. I told her to stop acting cute.”

“She looks good though?”

“See, this is why I wanted to drink with you.” Wendy puts her beer on the table and shifts to completely face Seulgi. “It’s been a year, Seul…”

“I’m merely stating facts.”

“You know what? Whatever. You guys sort it out. Me, I’ll be eating neutral popcorn.”

Seulgi knows what she’s doing. Wendy is trying to steer the topic, which just confirms that something is indeed wrong. They were each other’s best friends but Wendy never liked opening up about personal problems. The rascal always thought it would be burdensome for others. But Seulgi knows her well and senses the gloom the girl emits nowadays. It’s worrisome. She thought it was stress from work. But it felt deeper than that.

Whenever Seulgi tries to talk about the miserable blue aura around her, Wendy would dodge the topic like a ninja. However, as concerned as she is, she also knew that pushing won’t do her good. So she comforts her in the only way she knows. She accompanies Wendy, drinking beer side by side, eyes glued on the television but not really seeing and just hopes to deliver a silent message: You’re not alone. I’m here.

And that’s when a wild idea pops into Seulgi’s head like eureka.

“Hey, Wan.” she breaks the silence.

“Hm?”

It’s crazy. Knowing her, the chances of Wendy agreeing are zero to null.  Actually, the girl might just strangle her for suggesting such preposterousness. But nevertheless, Seulgi has to try.

“What is it?” Wendy prodded when she didn’t continue.  

Seulgi blurted, “Do you want to go on a blind date?”

 

***

 

The nervousness never really goes away.

No matter how much time passes by, dancing never fails to bring jitters, even in the practice room. At least, that’s what Bae Joohyun feels. She felt like a revving race car waiting for the lights to turn green. Her fingers had turned cold and the stare she was getting from everyone wasn’t helping.

But years of experience had taught her to utilize that nervous energy and turn it into exhilaration, transforming the queasy feeling in her stomach into beautiful fluttering butterflies. And excitement she uses to fuel and energize her throughout the entire performance. 

She does just that, as she stands in the open space, turning her nerves into excitement with shoulders rolled back, gut in, chest puffed out, back straight, and chin up as she waits for her cue to start. She looks straight ahead, meeting her own eyes through the mirror. For somebody who’s feeling jittery, she sure didn’t look the part.

Suddenly, music burst through her thoughts. Her body spurs into action. Joohyun flies and her fears all melt away. She’s one with the wind, weightless, effortlessly perfecting her extensions and the height of her leaps. Thinking ceases to happen as her muscles focuses on her own built-in tempo that she knew for a fact was coordinated with the song’s, having practiced it over and over and over and over. She soars and she’s not Joohyun anymore. She’s Juliet, wide-eyed and innocent Juliet, smitten and lovesick Juliet.

She sees Romeo on the other side of the floor. Eyes transforms into hearts. She runs into his arms with a wide smile.

Joohyun executes pirouettes, bourrées, fouettes, grand adages, and demi-pointe glides. The exhilaration churns and multiplies and builds. When she’s on stage, those criticizing eyes can go themselves. When she’s on stage, she’s Irene, La Rouge Ballet Theatre’s Prima Ballerina.

Finally, the music fades and she holds her last pose for a moment, basking in the last bits of adrenaline that makes her wish she can do it again before finally bowing at her applauding audience.

Joohyun returns to her spot at the corner, drinks some water, and wipes her sweat. She could feel the tentative glances thrown her way and does her best to ignore it. The corps is tolerable most of the time, though sometimes, she hopes they’d just confront her instead of talking behind her back. She knows all about it: the fake smiles, the half-hearted compliments and cheers.

They run through the performance a couple more times before finally calling it a day. Everybody rushes out and into the locker rooms after stretching but Joohyun stays, watching them leave until the last person sends her one last hesitating glance before finally going out.  Now alone, she turns on the music, and practices her parts over and over again.

One can never do enough practice. It is necessary to master the art. To achieve perfection, it must be done thousands, millions, billions of times. It isn’t even just about memorizing the steps. It’s about how she performs them.  The emotions she needed to deliver, the perfect portrayal of sweet, gullible Juliet in a star-crossed romance with Romeo.

Joohyun was on her third repeat when her eyes caught an odd bright pink in the mirror while doing a pirouette and in her surprise nearly slips. She abruptly stops, standing properly with feet planted to the floor, staring at the weird, pink thing and realizes it’s a person.

A girl was reflected on the mirror, staring back at her with body halfway through the door as though she had peeked inside and saw something that froze her on the spot. The pink was from her hair. It’s the colour of cotton candy.

Joohyun turns and indeed, the pink-haired girl is there.

She cleared . “Um, yes?”

The girl continued to stare with those bored eyes. “You’re Irene, right?”

“Um, yes?” Joohyun realizes she’s repeating herself like an idiot and quickly adds, “I mean, yes, I’m Irene. How can I help you?”

The strange girl steps through the door so now she’s a hundred percent inside the room.  Joohyun takes a step back without realizing.

“I’m a film major at Yonsei and we’re planning to make a short film about ballerinas except that I know absolutely nothing about them.” the girl crosses her arms and gives Joohyun a look of appraisal. “So. You’re the Prime Ballet girlie?”

Prima Ballerina.” Joohyun corrects.

“Yes, that. I need to ask you some questions.”

“Okay?”

“Do you always sound confused or is that, like, an actual question? Because if so then I need more contexts.”

Joohyun frowns and thinks, who the hell is this girl? “Sorry, who are you again?”

The girl gives her first smile, baring teeth like a predator. “The name’s Kim Yerim.”

 

***

 

“You know, it’s really a pity.”

“What is?” Wendy asks before taking another slurp of her ramyun while trying to keep the phone between her ear and shoulder. It’s lunch break and everyone but her had gone out to eat. They finished shooting a week ago and are now working on the editing.

“Chungha.” Seulgi says and Wendy got flashbacks of last Saturday.

She couldn’t believe she let Seulgi talk her into it. Granted, the girl had frightening ways of convincing her. It involved a lot of puppy eyes and pouting.

So then she found herself in an outdoor restaurant somewhere in Incheon, dressed in form-fitting, off-shoulder black dress, choker, and stilettos combo that she would never have considered wearing her entire life except that Sooyoung basically wrestled her into it.

Yes. Seulgi had let the actress into her scheme. It turns out they can only hold a proper conversation by themselves when ganging up on Wendy. Good for them.

Chungha, Seulgi’s friend from college, had been more than okay. The woman had been amazing.  Wendy has nothing against her and would love to keep her as a friend. But a romantic relationship would never feel right for Wendy. She’d never be ready for any kind of commitment and it irritates her because Seulgi knows that.

“She really liked you, you know. She basically gushed about how attentive and sweet and really, really kind you were.” Her friend continued. “You really shouldn’t send signals like that if you don’t have plans of taking it further.”

Wendy sighed in exasperation, “What signals?”

“Being so…gentle-womanly?”

“But I’m like that to everyone! It’s called being friendly!”  

“Uh-huh? Is it still friendly when you lead people on with those flirty, crooked, winky smiles—”

Flirty?!”

“—and sticky, heart-eyes stares—”

Sticky?!” Wendy puts her chopsticks down. “Hey, I don’t stare at anyone with hearts in my eyes, okay?”

“It’s, like, a built-in feature.” Seulgi argued.

“Why are you attacking me? How is that my fault?”

“There must be an off-switch for that. Figure it out.” Seulgi says. “Anyway, you’re pretty, cute, hot, talented, and kind. You’re a walking sinkhole! People just fall for you but the frustrating thing is you’re never interested.”

Under different circumstances, Wendy would’ve teased Seulgi for showering her with compliments. “And I don’t understand why you think that’s your business.”

“I’m your friend! I’m worried!”

“Worry about your own love life.” Wendy rebuts. “If you think I need help for never being in an official relationship then I think you need help for refusing to see anyone even though it’s been a year since you broke up.”

“…”

Seulgi’s line goes silent for far too long. Wendy winces, putting down her chopsticks. “Too soon?”

“Too soon.”

Wendy immediately feels bad. “Hey, Seul, look—”

“Forget it. If you really want to make it up to me then go on a second date.” Seulgi bargains. “You really wouldn’t know if you don’t try, Wan-ah.”

Wendy massages her temples. “Whatever. I don’t know. You’re making my head hurt. I’m hanging up.”

“Wendy! Is that a yes or a—”

She tossed her phone on the table and sighed. Why are people so hung up on her love life? Is being single really the end of the world? What a load of bull. She’s fine all by herself, thank you very much. Even if she is interested, she’s too busy to squeeze a lover in. They’re at the age where they should focus on their work! It’s not like they’re still in high school or something.

Her phone then suddenly buzzed. Wendy’s ready to ignore it, thinking it’s Seulgi, but then she catches sight of the contact name. Mother

She takes a deep breath. Difficult conversations are really on the roll today, huh? “Hello?”

“Wendy. It’s mom.” her voice crackled through the phone and a wave of nostalgia hit Wendy.

She swallowed hard. “Yeah, I noticed. What’s up?”

“How are you?” the pleasantries. Always the empty pleasantries.

“I’m fine.” she lied, the words coming out of without really having to think about it.

A pause. “I heard you have a new drama?”

“It’s a movie. We just finished shooting last week.”

“I see.”

Wendy sighs. “Mom, quit beating around the bush. What is it?”

“You haven’t forgotten, right?”

Wendy frowns. Whatever it is, it seems she has completely forgotten. “About what?”

“Mark’s birthday party. I sent you a message last week.”

She had been blocking her mother’s text messages.  She should’ve blocked her calls too. “Oh. That’s today?” she looks at the calendar on her computer. Indeed, it’s August 2, Mark’s birthday.

“Yes. The party starts at five. I expect you to be there so clear up your schedule.”

Wendy runs her fingers through her hair. “Sorry, mom, but clearing my schedule tonight would be a bit difficult.”

“Your sister already confirmed her attendance. Are you sure you won’t come?”

Wendy heaves another sigh. Her mother knows exactly which buttons to push. “I’ll be there.”

“That’s my girl.” her mother says, smile evident in her voice.

 

***

 

Seongbuk-dong, also known as the Beverly Hills of South Korea, is a wealthy neighbourhood nestled in the hills overlooking the city, said to be home to royalties back in the past.

It’s also home to Wendy. At least it used to be. Before her parents divorced and left her and her sister alone with Shin Saimdang printed on the 50,000 won bills they send as the only parental authority in their life. After that, the place was just a house that shelters them from natural elements.

It’s also where her mother had moved in a few years ago with her new family. Even though it’s kind of ironic, Wendy didn’t really think much about it. She moved out ages ago. So did her sister. They were even thinking about selling the house. Nobody really lived there anyway.

But still. As Wendy drives through the neighbourhood’s winding streets, she can’t help but feel a pang of nostalgia. She recognizes the path she used to take to get to the bus stop when she was in middle school. She spots the convenience store where the kind lady manning the place used to give her free ice cream, the alley where she left food for the stray cats, and the playground where she used to frequent with her dad.

It’s like driving through memories. It made her feel pretty crappy which isn’t good since walking into that house party won’t do anything to improve her mood.

Everyone welcomes her, as usual. But that never made her feel better. She hates it. How? How could they be so happy when they’ve ruined her family? These strangers keep smiling at her as though they didn’t deprive her of her mother. She wanted to wipe those grins off their faces.

Finally, she spots the reason she came in the first place. Song Hyekyo is at the backyard with a glass of wine, standing at the corner and separated from everybody, intently staring at a random plant as though dissecting it with her eyes. Knowing her sister, it isn’t impossible.

The woman had taken on their mother’s surname after the divorce. It wasn’t such a surprise that she became a botanist. She had always had a spot for plants and nature in her heart. Wendy, however, wasn’t expected to turn out as a film director. People always thought she’d become a musician or a doctor. But what do people know?

“Why are you here?”

Hyekyo turns and her intense expression faintly softens at the sight of her. “Why are you here?”

Wendy shrugs. “I’m only here because you are. I mean, we don’t exactly have an Elsa-and-Anna kind of relationship but I care enough to not let you suffer through this alone.”

Hyekyo looks at her accusingly. “You watched Frozen again, didn’t you? Is that, what, your third repeat?”

Wendy sticks her chin up. “It’s my fifth and there will be a sixth.” she says. “So why are you here?”

The older woman seemed agitated. For a moment, she looked like she wanted to punch somebody but she settled for heaving a sigh. “Seems like we got conned again. Mother told me you’re coming. I bet she told you the same about me.”

“Wow. She’s a snake, isn’t she?”

“She is.” Hyekyo takes a sip of her wine. “Sometimes, I just don’t know if she’s just being kind or if she’s being cruel.”

“She’s both.” Wendy decides and Hyekyo grunts her agreement. “So. What’s with the plant?”

“Oh, it’s a liverwort—a bryophyte. See, bryophytes consist of about 20,000 plant species. They produce enclosed reproductive structures but they don’t produce flowers or seeds…” she went on about mosses and spores and honestly, Wendy lost her when she said ‘liverwort. “Huh. Interesting.” she muttered uninterestedly.

 

***

 

Seulgi is determined.

Call her nosy but she loves her best friend.  Seulgi loves her so much that she’s sitting across Park Sooyoung in the corner of a coffee shop. Just the two of them. Sharing one table.

Oh, the things she does for love.  

She’s queasy; the walls feel like closing in on her and she wants to throw up. She’s careful not to let it show though. Sooyoung would take great offence at the mere suggestion that she’s a stimulant of vomit.  

in a deep breath, she braves herself. It’s for Wendy. This is a meeting between friends to discuss their concern about their other friend. Right.

A meeting between friends. Yes. Okay. Alright. You can do it, Seulgi!

“So,” Sooyoung speaks and Seulgi barely managed to suppress a flinch. “What did you want to talk about, unnie?”

“It’s about Wendy,” she manages to say without hitches.

“Wendy-unnie? What about her?”

Seulgi keeps her eyes on her drink that she’s been stirring. “She’s being very…different nowadays. Just…you know, increasingly drawn back and I’m worried.”

“Last time I checked, you weren’t this intuitive.” she doesn’t have to look at her to know that Sooyoung’s raising an eyebrow.

“Don’t tell me you don’t feel it too.”

“Of course I feel it too. That’s why I’ve been visiting her whenever I can. I even helped getting her on that date. Which reminds me, how did it go?”

Seulgi finally looks at her and regrets it. The moment their eyes met, she couldn’t seem to look away. She clenches her jaw and tries to ignore the loud beating of her heart. “She didn’t tell you?”

Sooyoung is holding her gaze even as she shakes her head. “She doesn’t want to. I’ve been bugging her about it but she ignores all of my calls and texts. Even put up a “No Pets Allowed” signboard but with my picture outside her door.” she actually laughs. “The nerve!”

Seulgi laughs along. Partly because it’s funny, partly because Sooyoung’s laugh is contagious. Then it dies down, and the awkwardness is twice as thick. Their eyes lock a moment too long at the end of the shared laughter. A moment is all it takes for the familiarity to come rushing back.

A moment is all it takes for Seulgi to think: this is the woman who used to love me.

They simultaneously look away, singed by the burnt flames of the past.

Sooyoung sips her drink to fill in the silence. Seulgi thought it’s a good idea and does the same. She almost spits it out. Her latte had gone disgustingly cold. Nobody says anything for a while until Seulgi clears .

“The date,” she brings up again, “Chungha told me it went well. She actually liked our cute little friend. Wendy, however…she doesn’t see a second date.”

Sooyoung frowns and their conversation continues as though nothing happened. “Why? Was the girl that terrible? Wait, no. That doesn’t sound like Wendy-unnie. No girl’s too terrible for her.”

“She just doesn’t want to.”

Sooyoung doesn’t ask why. They both knew about Wendy’s opinion about romantic love. They also knew the reasons behind it and perfectly understand why. Life had been pretty tough for their soft friend but it’s amazing and a bit ironic how she never runs out of love to give.

“So what are you planning?” Sooyoung asks, breaking her train of thought.

Seulgi blinked. “Plan? I don’t have a plan. I mean, that’s why I called you.”

“So you called me to come up with a plan. Not because you already have one.”

Seulgi nods.

“Why am I not surprised?” Sooyoung smiles and it’s nothing sinister like her usual grins. It’s soft and nostalgic and almost affectionate. The gentle way she looked at her is familiar yet at the same time strange. Seulgi looks away.

“I mean, you’ve always been better at making plans,” she bashfully rubs her nape.

Sooyoung laughs. It sounds like spring and summer. “You’re in luck you’re in the presence of a Master Planner.” she suddenly stands, “Come on.”

Seulgi blinks. “Where are we going?”

“To execute the first step of our plan.”

“Wait, there’s already a plan?”

“Park Sooyoung always has a plan,” she winks and pulls on Seulgi’s wrist, “Come on, unnie! We’re going to a florist!”

The girl drags her out of the coffee shop and a few blocks down, searching for a nearby florist. Seulgi lets her lead, focusing on avoiding pedestrians and staying alive on the crosswalks. They are moving too fast for her to even properly see the boutiques. What she can see very properly right now, however, is Sooyoung’s grip on the cuff of her sleeve, not letting them touch yet effectively keeping her around. 

Finally, they spot a quaint little flower shop down the third block. Pretty flower arrangements are displayed in its glass façade and the sweet floral scent welcomed them as they entered. A middle-aged woman standing behind the counter greets them.

Sooyoung tugs on her cuff. “Come on.” she leads her to the counter, right in front of the florist. “Good afternoon. We’re wondering if you deliver flowers too?”

The next part went by in a blur. Suddenly, Seulgi’s filling in delivery papers. She wrote down Chungha’s address in a daze along with a simple note. After paying for the bouquet, they went back to the coffee shop, leisurely walking side by side.

“You’re insane,” Seulgi finally tells Sooyoung. “But you might also be brilliant.”

 

***

 

Wendy can’t believe she let herself fall for Seulgi’s puppy eyes again.

Hell, who is she kidding she’d do anything for those puppy eyes. Also, because of her mean comment regarding Seulgi’s love life. Her guilty conscience had no choice but to agree to this absurdity.

She didn’t let Sooyoung wrestle her into another one of those uncomfortable outfits, however. It’s her condition for going to this date and Seulgi was too happy to even care about what she wears. The ladies will love you all the same anyway, she had said.

So now, somehow, after making some time, she finds herself seated in another posh restaurant, not unlike the one last week. She had been a bit early so she can ready a script to turn her down.

She went through different kinds of roles and scenarios in her head. Should she be the cliché kind-hearted one and say ‘Sorry. It’s not you, it’s me’ while smiling apologetically? Or should she leave no chances and just be a straight-up jerk ? ‘If you think you are worthy of me, that is laughable. Step aside, you fool’

Someone taps on her table, interrupting her train of thought. Wendy looks up and her jaw drops.

Standing before her is a woman. But she’s not just a woman. She’s, like, a different level of woman—a goddess, a womanqué.

The divine entity is dressed simply in a black turtleneck and white pants, dark fringe hanging past her brows. Her pretty brown eyes have a wide-eyed innocence in them, and her entire beautiful face bright with a certain uncertainty. Wendy has been working with tons of gorgeous actresses but damn this one’s of a different calibre.

She’s probably a celebrity, right? She must be. A rookie idol? A new actress? A model? How come Wendy’s never seen her before?

“Um, you’re Wendy-ssi, right?” the woman speaks and it’s the greatest chime of all. Her voice, quiet and velvety, sounds like music.

“Well, I, uh…” Wendy nods instead, since her brain has long lost its ability to come up with a coherent sentence.

“Do you mind if I join you?” the woman asked, questioning eyes imploring for a yes.

Wendy nods again and watches in dumb amazement as the woman sits across her. She stares at her features in fascination. How can such a woman exist without her knowing?

“Are you interested in becoming an actress?” Wendy blurts out because priorities.

A look of surprise falls upon the woman’s face, her dark brows rising behind her fringe, brown eyes widening with a look of utter what? “I beg your pardon?”

Wendy whips out her calling card. “If you’re interested in becoming an actress, please give me a call.”

The woman looks at the card, brows furrowing. “Um, I don’t—”

“No!” Wendy stops her, already hearing the rejection. The woman flinches in surprise, shock returning to her face. Wendy tries again in a soothing tone. “I mean, you don’t need to answer now. Just think about it, okay?” she smiles.

The woman’s face is now set in utter bewilderment. “…okay?”

Wendy takes a deep breath. She must think she’s an absolute weirdo now. Then she remembers why she’s there in the first place. “So…are you a friend of Chungha’s?”

“Who—? Oh, that must be the person you’re supposed to meet tonight.” The woman starts rummaging her purse. “About that…” she takes out a blue card and puts it on the table, right in front of Wendy. “I was worried you’d get the wrong idea so I came to explain this.”

Wendy takes the note and reads it:

"Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Sheeps go baah,
And cows go moo"
Dinner at Jungsik this Saturday? My treat  ;D
With love, Wendy Son

The woman continued, “I think there has been a misunderstanding. I’m afraid you sent the flowers to the wrong address.”

One glance is all it took for her to recognize Seulgi’s telling penmanship. She looks at the woman sitting across and flushes in mortification as she crumples the note in her hand. Damn, Seulgi didn’t tell her about any of this!  

Wendy went into one of her panic-induced rambling, “Oh, I’m so sorry. I have no idea about this entire sending-flowers thing. My best friend must’ve done this she’s usually absentminded so it’s not a surprise she made a mistake with the address. And the poem. Gosh, I have to apologize for the poem. It’s simply…disastrous. I’m really sorry for the inconvenience. You’re so sweet coming all the way here just to let me know that I’m not being stood up. You could’ve ignored it but you didn’t. That’s very nice of you. Oh my god, my best friend is so stupid let me make it up to you.” she paused for air. “Since we’re already here, what do you say about dinner, Miss…?”

“Joohyun.” the woman supplies. “Bae Joohyun.”