Stuck In The Past

New Arrival

Minji’s pencil was on fire as she followed the notes on the board. She felt close to tears as she couldn’t keep up with the Japanese lessons. She rubbed her temples as her teaches voice robotically rang through the luxurious classroom. The room was fancier than the hostel in her hometown. The desks embedded with golden flares. She slammed her pencil down on the expensive oak and ran her hands through her tangled hair. Feeling very much out of her element. 

 

Giving up on class she began penning lyrics,

“Minji?”

 

Her teachers in voice broke her out of her daze with her classmates giggling, 

“Huh?”

 

She lifted her head as her professor scoffed and slowly spoke to her,

“I said find a partner.”

 

Minji’s face was red as she apologized and scrambled around for a partner. The two next to looked her top to bottom before whispering to each other. Minji began to pack her things as the bell sounded for the next period,

“Hey uh- Minji-San!”

 

A short girl approached her,

“Do you need a partner still...?”

 

She nodded,

“Yeah, would you be willing to be mine?,” she looked at her name tag, “Nako-san?”

 

Nako smiled and waved her goodbye before Minji could say another word.

 

-

 

Lunch was always boring as she sat in the empty classroom, already outcasted because of her differences. The girls crowed around her like birds of prey the first day picking out any and all flaws she possibly had. Minji sighed as she pulled out her computer. The music software loaded up as she began creating music. The only thing that was keeping her sane. She set her countdown for Christmas, only 100+ days to go.

 

Her thoughts became distracted as she paused from her music, Yoohyeon’s album was calling for her in her bag. She sighed and leaned back as she closed her laptop taking the album out. With her the album in her hands she remembered her and Nako’s assignment.

 

She was assigned to research a musician they admired, so why not? She can always do it first and then consult with Nako later. She ate some sushi as she placed the album aside and typed Yoohyeon into the search engine. There was nothing oddly enough. She tried again Yoohyeon Japanese album. Nothing, almost as if she never existed. 

 

Once more, Yoohyeon Endless Night. 

 

Nothing......

 

Minji scratched her head but before she thought of a solution lunch was over with the sharp sound of the bell.

 

-

 

Minji returned exhausted to her dorm and dropped her books off. Her uniform stuck to her as she was still exhausted from dance class. Her professor had scolded her for her poor form. The stress was stripped slowly off as she slipped into comfortable clothes and placed the vinyl at her bed side. She grabbed her homework and started on, it but was glancing every so often at the album. She plopped herself up and stared at Yoohyeon’s face,

“What’s are you doing to me Yoohyeon?”

 

She grabbed the album and flipped it over in her hands. Feeling it’s light weight and holding it closely, 

“Who are you and why are you on my mind?”

 

The red lipstick that Yoohyeon’s picture wore was taunting her evilly. She groined as she sat up. Yoohyeon’s album reminded her she had work, she put on some jeans and a t-shirt before heading out again.

 

The neon signs of the vinyl shop made her slightly happy. She smiled as it helped her hold out hope. Coming to Japan for the best music education money could buy on a scholarship.? She had to have strength even though it gave her a headache. 

 

The store was empty for her whole shift and she was happy to have time alone and get paid for it. She listened to her favorite albums and even had time to finish most her work before grandma Choi came down,

“Minji, thank you for helping me. Here’s your pay for this week.”

 

Minji was shocked,

“But-But I only worked two days-“

 

She took her hand gave  her 500,000 yen,

“Go eat, you need some meat on your bones.”

 

Minji teared up and hugged her tightly,

“Thank you, Grandma!”

 

Grandma Choi reminded her so much of her grandmother, her mom always joked that she was Grandma’s long lost sister. Minji was about to leave as she heard her go,

“Ah one last thing! I found this old coin while cleaning up,” she held up a dirty coin and gave it to Minji, “Take it, maybe getting a new hobby will help. You seem so down just please give Japan a chance. Plus it can be a gift for your mom. She always loved collecting these old things.”

 

Minji laughed,

“I guess you’re right, she said coins hold powers of the past.”

 

“What a crazy lady your mother is, just as crazy as your father. Now get going! It’s Friday, you college kids party hard on fridays!”

 

Minji laughed until her side hurt and hugged her again,

“I’d be so lost without you, thank you so much.”

 

She’s been so lonely since stepping off the plane that having someone like family made her a bit happier. She waved her good bye with a kiss on her cheek and headed to find a local bar. 

 

The night life of Tsumago was that of a wild party. The streets had frat houses lining the roads with littered beer cans and small clubs. Each blaring loud live music. She followed her ears into a more rock sounding bar and waited in line to go in.

 

As she stepped into the bar it was lined with pictures, going from colored to black and white with signatures in each. Minji was in awe as she followed the line of pictures. Artists big and small seeming to have preformed here. Minji was geeking slightly.

 

The stage was small as she sat in the table closet and waved over someone. She ordered hot ramen and soju. 

 

The music filled her veins with adrenaline and she enjoyed each set. The shy girl onstage who turned into a rock star completely won over Minji as she slowly became more drunken by the sip of her drink. 

 

Mid performance she left for the washroom and was drawn to the wall of pictures once more. She looked intently at outrageous outfits they wore and laughed at some as well. Her breathe was stolen as she saw Yoohyeon, “To Tsumago 1980 Live To Rock Yoohyeon-San”

 

Yoohyeon was seemingly following Minji. The writing was in Japanese this time and Minji couldn’t help but be shocked, the stage she’s been watching Yoohyeon had once been on. She didn’t know why it made her so distressed. Yet her mind was too fuzzy from the alcohol to be here anyomore as she paid and left to head to her dormitory.

 

The night was too bitter for her to make it as she stumbled onto campus. Her head pounding as she fall on the wall of the library. She stumbled up the stairs while being laughed at by the students inside. She began to but her lip to silence her tears but couldn’t as she heard the snark remarks. She covered her face until a librarian sheltered her in the library. With a small verbal beating the librarian grabbed her some tea to sober her up. 

 

No one dared talk to her as Minji became even more distant. Knowing very well that the poor korean was nothing but a failure in the Japanese students eyes. She pulled down at her sleeves as she roamed the library’s shelves. The school’s books held biographies on mostly Japanese musicians but held one small section in the back for korean. The books were organized from A to Z as she lazily dragged her fingers over each letter of the markers until she reached ‘X’. She flipped through magazines until placing it back she remembered someone her mother always raved about. Kim Yubin, she searched for her and quickly found a long article she could give to her mother as a souvenir. She began reading the article about Yubin and then froze. Her hands shaking slightly, “Yubin’s success is accounted on her label mate Kim Yoohyeon’s departure. Yoohyeon’s popularity in Korea fell apart after the news of a  dating scandal. She never address it as while it was happening she was promoting her debut Japanese single ‘Endless Night’. In fact one month into her Japan tour she mysteriously disappeared after one fateful August night in Tsumago. Most fans believe the pressure of korean fans got to her as she was found dead just two weeks after her disappearance. The death was ruled a suicide by police but many theorize that she was lynched by angry male fans when the scandal was confirmed. Not only had Yoohyeon been with someone, but that someone was no other than her female manager, Lee Siyeon. This news took the music industry at the time by storm. Sources quickly finding out that it was a one night stand but still, the 1980’s japan culture wasn’t and still isn’t accepting of her homouality. LGBT organizations grieve the anniversary of her death and praise her as being the first LGBTQ + ally they had. For any interested in the event it’s held in her hometown of Incheon August 29th annually.”

 

Minji places down the article as she digests the information slowly. Her stomach began to turn as she hunched forward clasping her hand over and vomited. The salty tears falling freely down her cheeks as she let out a deep scream. She was enraged and threw the article across the floor as the librarian kicked her out. 

 

The thought of Yoohyeon, the powerful vocalist with soft visuals, being killed by her own ‘fans’ or even being driven to taking her own life was maddening. Minji cried as she thought of her ex girlfriend. It slowly began to rain as Minji looked in the distance and cried into her hands.

 

She was heartbroken at Yoohyeon’s story, how could someone so talented and young die like that. 

 

With that’s thought the coin in Minji’s pocket burned her thigh. She fished it out of her pocket suddenly and held it tightly and shut her eyes,

“I wish-I wish I could save her.”

 

The coin grew hotter as she cursed and dropped it. The clatter of it making her head light as her eyes fluttered into darkness.