habits

homies

Yeri had her apartment renovated. Joy was her roommate. So, for the time being, Joy was Wendy's roommate. It hadn't been long, but Wendy had picked up on a lot of Joy's habits, the little discrepancies in her behavior. Like any other person, Joy had a lot of them. 

What wasn't like any other person's habits, was how Joy's habits made Wendy feel. Joy was a head taller than Wendy, yet she still had to reach into overhead cabinets. She'd reach up with her body pressed up against Wendy's; The contact would last for a fleeting moment. Then Joy would twirl away with silverware or an appliance in hand while Wendy's heart skipped. At dinner, Joy would offer closed smiles with her cheeks full of food. Wendy has accidentally spit out her drink far too many times upon seeing Joy's goofy expressions. The shared smiles always made Wendy feel like her stomach was full of butterflies rather than food. 

"I'll be out of your head space in a month." Joy reminds Wendy of the end of the arrangement. It was too soon for Wendy. They were best friends before, but the past three and a half months of living with Joy had been exciting in a simple way.

"Don't remind me." While smiling weakly, Wendy watches Joy wash their dishes from the couch. Their situation was domestic: Wendy and Joy came home to each other and looked out for each other in a way that wasn't just rooming together.

"Too sad to see me go?" That was clearly meant to be a good hearted joke, but Wendy couldn't stop herself from taking the bait. 

"Actually, yeah. I don't want you to go." The admission made Wendy's stomach flip and her ears heat up. There was no going back now.

"I don't want to go either." Joy hands Wendy a glass of wine. Both of them would flush, but Wendy needed that if she was going to have any sort of confidence. Blushing wildly would be mortifying. 

"I like this though. How we're doing things, I mean." "Things" is too vague. That's not how Wendy wanted to word her sentence, but it's too late. It's already out. 

"You like drinking with me?" Wendy's face contorts for a moment before Joy continues. "Oh. You mean you like this." Joy waves her free hand between them. All Wendy could do was nod. They sit silently sipping their wines, staring at each other pensively, expectantly. 

"I suppose we'll just have to stay like this while we can." After wrapping one arm around Wendy, Joy kisses Wendy's temple gently. She didn't need to say anything else for Wendy to know that the feelings were mutual.

It was the little moments they shared. They brushed their teeth side by side in the mirror. They slept with Joy's arm loosely wrapped across Wendy's abdomen. They spent every evening after work together. It all built up to Joy giving Wendy a chaste kiss before leaving with her luggage. 

"See you soon, Love." Wendy really liked the way that rolled off Joy's tongue. She said it out of habit. A beautiful habit that was.