Sel

Autumn Stay

Warning(s): Language, mentions of and inappropriate actions (nothing trigger warning. First chapter only)



September 22nd marked Michael’s 28th birthday. The party, under the not-so-sunny Sunday, was on all three decks of the snow-white superyacht Michael had dubbed Ele Na, a romantic gesture for his girlfriend. Instead of enjoying herself like the other 174 guests, in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, Selena had only two things on her mind: regret and Sungkyung. 

Twenty years ago, Selena opted for ballet classes instead of swimming lessons just so she could be like her then best friend, Danielle Campbell. She regrets it, not because Danielle Campbell is now just another familiar face on the streets of New York City, but her admiration and desire to be like Danielle when they were five cost her the chance to learn how to swim. 

So as the dazzling, deep blue sea calls out to her, Selena can’t help but reply with fear. She can’t fall in or she’ll drown.  

Then there was Sungkyung Mary Lee. One of the attendees who happened to be her boyfriend, Michael’s, number one guest. 

There was no bad blood between Selena and Sungkyung as it would be unwise on Selena’s part. Michael and Sungkyung have history, ever since their sweet 16. As follows, they started as classmates, to friends with benefits, co-workers, and then partners in crime. Of course, Michael wasn’t the one to spill the part about sleeping with his friend, but Selena understood the moment she heard it. Sungkyung is after all a supermodel blessed with sculpture looks, rich, organic tastes, and worth more than two White Houses. Making a self-made woman like Sungkyung her adversary would be the straw that broke the camel’s back; the back that is her career as a fashion designer. 

And Michael. 

His long black lashes above his honeyed brown eyes made him extraordinarily beautiful and handsome simultaneously. He was all muscle and flawless dark skin. Always at the gym every weekday from 9 in the morning to 3 in the evening. Michael is a third-generation heir to a renowned cruise and yacht charter business at four different locations: San Francisco-United States, Macae-Brazil, Montpellier-France, and Malaga-Spain.

However, Selena doesn’t justify their under-the-table dalliance on attraction alone. She knew they brought out the ugliest and best in each other. They were successful even before she came into the picture. So when Michael revealed Sungkyung was invited to his birthday party, Selena refused to let her insecurity get in the way of his happiness. Not only did Selena love Michael but she was grateful and indebted to him. 

“Hey, Sel,” 

It was Alex, Alex Pettyfer the British Genius. He’s one of Michael’s good friends who without a doubt likes Selena. 

“Oh, hey Ale,” Selena greeted with a kind but anxious smile. As handsome and smart as he came, Alex was trouble. Nosy, clingy, and obvious. The last thing Selena wants is for Michael to catch wind of her hanging out with Alex. Although everyone knew Selena would never cheat on Michael, it didn’t mean he wouldn’t hurt Alex if said dirty-blonde one made a move. 

“You look nice, in that coral dress,” 

Selena mustered a chortle in response as Alex went to lean against the wall beside her. In between his fingers, effortlessly, were two half-filled wine glasses; the stems creating an X. 

“How are you doing, love? Haven’t seen you since the last time I ran into you and Michael in Le Bristol,” he said then leaned his side against the wall and offered one glass out to her. “Drink?” 

Selena accepted it quickly, “Bottoms up,” she forced a smile then gulped it all down. “Fruity,” she commented before handing the glass back to him. “Sorry, Alex, I’ve got to hit the girls-room. I'll see you later.” 

As she slid passed him, the man let her go with an acknowledged bob of his head. However, not long enough for her to completely vanish from his line of vision. 

“Sel,” when she suddenly stopped in her tracks and surprised even herself, she heard him continue, “I’ve known Michael for ten years. I say cut your losses and give me a chance.”

A single chill crawled down Selena’s spine as she turned to confront him, “Sorry Alex. Speaking from my three years of experience I’d say you need another two decades to really know Michael.” 

Without another word, Selena retreated indoors. Luckily the first restroom she came across wasn’t occupied with some couple having . 

As Selena shut off the faucet, she quietly checked her face in the mirror. Sighing, she took out her makeup bag to retouch her cheeks and lipstick. Outside she nearly had a heart attack when she saw a man standing in the halls, his arms crossed, and one leg blocking her from leaving. 

“Was that douchebag bothering you again, Sel?” 

Helplessly, a wide smile was drawn across Selena’s small face. Not only did she love the pleasant surprise but she was happy to see that someone on her side saw what happened, “I didn’t see you on the guest list, Chris.” 

Chris Wood was an acquaintance of Michael but ended up a better friend of hers instead. They shared a number of things in common. Fall-Autumn was their favorite season. They've got a soft spot for insects, particularly dragonflies. The big ones. They love the color red and the smell of wooden pencils. Color pencils make them feel like kids again. 

“I wasn’t,” Chris smiled—his gorgeous—signature half-smile, “Mike and I wanted to surprise you on his big day. We knew you’d need company because you hate everyone on that list with a passion.”

As expected Mike, short for Michael, had invited Chris along to accompany her. Michael knew and had planned to spend most of his time with Sunkyung instead. It was no surprise, they probably had a ton to catch up on seeing that they’ve both been absent since the yacht took off three hours ago. 

“Oh-okay, if you say so, Mr. Know It All,” Selena returned his playfulness with one of her own. She knows he hates the words ‘if you say so’ with his whole life. 

“I see how it is,” he countered, flattening his eyes as she folded her arms too, “Clearly I’m not wanted. Maybe I should just jump off the yacht and—”

“I hate you,” Selena inhaled heavily then cracked a beam, “but you’re right. I do hate everyone here. This party .” 

“Hello! That’s why I’m here. What can I do to un- your boyfriend’s birthday party?” 

Selena scoffed then widened her grin, “How ‘bout swimming? Would you say you’re a great swimmer?” 

“Great!? I’m phenomenal! One-of-my-kind! Bet you won’t find a better freestyle swimmer, ever! But damn! What up? A city girl like you, Selena Varga wants to go swimming!? We’re on a yacht for Christ’s sake. People usually suggest pole dancing or climbing on masts or motorboating or even having in the Captain’s cabin after watching Titanic, especially after the scene where Rose loses her ity to Jack, but you—no you!”

Selena laughed, amused. She swore, Chris was born to entertain. She’d always found his life stories and adventures wild and refreshing. “I know I’m boring and I’ll gladly be your boring friend if you’ll coach me on swimming.” 

“Wait,” Chris pointed a finger in her face, “you can’t swim?” 

“It’s bad, I know. What’s worse is I can’t even float—” Selena admitted, embarrassingly, “—vertically,”

Chris laughed once, loudly, as he threw his head back. Once he’d calm himself, he looked her dead straight in the eyes, “Selena Varga, how do you do it? How do you keep such a life changing secret from us?” 

Selena pulled her head back and in a disbelieving voice mimicked, “Life Changing!?” 

“So you’re not telling me your future husband runs ships businesses as old as you and you, his future wife, can’t swim to save her life?” 

She rolled her eyes at him. A gesture he quickly called out as ‘rude’. Before they could continue their bickering, a couple came down to use the restroom. The moment Selena and Chris were bombarded with whispers and moans, they hastily fled the compacted hallway. 

In the pool, on the bottom deck, Selena and Chris found a spot where women in bikinis weren’t passing beach balls and men weren’t ducking under the water surface to haul down the ladies’ underwear. 

The water was up to Selena’s neck and Chris’s chest when he instructed. “Alright, first step. Your floating needs an upgrade so both hands on my shoulders and I’ll drag you around and in return, neither of your feet touches the floor.” 

“You’re not going to sweep the pool with my feet are you?” 

Chris chuckled, “Nooo, no feet on the ground. Lift them. Fetus position, if you can help it.” 

She smiled, with teeth. Then as she placed her hands on his firm shoulders and did as he said, he patiently hauled her around in circles. 

“Alright, slowly, slowly let go, let go, le-let-slowly let go Sel,” Chris said. 

“Wait, wait, wait I’m not ready! Chris! Chris un-under me!” 

When Selena accidentally kneed her unofficial trainer in the stomach, he immediately released her forearms and gasped for air. “What the heck Sel!” 

Before Selena could explain, Alex showed himself up from under the water.

Fighting for air, the man wiped the water off his face and pushed his light-colored hair back, “So close, almost got you Sel,” he said, disappointed. 

“Dude, what the hell!” the second he understood what happened, and as quickly as he could, with more than half of his body dipped underwater, Chris moved to stand between Selena and Alex. Once Chris got in Alex’s face, the dirty blonde instantly took a step back. 

“Calm down, man. I was just teasing Sel.”

“Chris,” Selena said, reaching up and setting a hand on his shoulder. “It’s fine—”

With his back to her, Selena failed to see the look in Chris’ eyes. If Alex wasn’t topless, Chris would have grabbed him by the collar, “This is your one and only warning, dude. Stay the away from Sel.”

“Who the heck are you? You’re certainly not Michael.” 

“Chris—”

The dark-haired man raised a hand, hoping to silence Selena. “No, I’m not Michael. I’m someone you should fear more than Michael.”

“Yeah? Why’s that?” 

Despite the atmosphere around them turning tense, no one else seemed to notice them. Except for the few sitting in chairs near their side of the pool. 

“I practice law, prick. What you’re doing can get you in hot waters with the authorities,” 

“Hey! What’s going on over there?” a man who’s voice Selena didn’t recognize right away chimed in, “I hope it’s not what I'm thinking. Break it up, boys. Michael won’t stand for it if he sees you.” 

As the fire in Chris’ orbs grew, Alex uneasily moved away. Unfortunately, every witness made the mistake of believing it was over. Once Alex got out of the pool, he grabbed his private area and winked at Selena. The uncalled for motion angered Chris almost instantly. 

“You piece of—” 

Before Selena was fast enough to react and grab Chris, the man charged out of the water and ran after the other. 

“Chri—” Selena stopped herself from shouting his name and heaved a sigh. For a long minute, Selena waited for Chris to return. When he didn’t show, she carefully made her way toward the steps. 

Right as she could reach out and touch the steps, she heard someone yelled, “Waterbomb!", "Cannonball!” 

Once Selena glanced up, she was met with pain. 

Then silence and darkness. Utterly.