Coincidence

Tell me [REUPLOAD]

“As expected, Myoui Mina. You got the highest score in class again. Good work.” The professor praised. His proud eyes evident, following every step Mina did when she’s on her way to his table for the sheet.

“Thank you, Mr. Park.” Mina said in all seriousness. Her back straightened, instinctly to endure the piercing gazes she felt from her classmates. She kept her unwavering posture as the stares lingered more until she sat back down on her own seat. She could easily tell the stares are mixed with awe, envy and pride. A single tap breaks her focus and looked at the grinning friends she have. They gave her a thumbs up and Mina replied to it with a soft smile.

The whole class— No, the whole school knows that Mina is a prodigy. With her father, a distinguised doctor and mother, a well known lawyer, she has no choice but to work hard and not disappoint her family. Her efforts were greatly appreciated and she’s actually pleased of the results. She fits so well as the top and no one can beat her to it. Well, the only one close enough on beating her is the stubborn Son Chaeyoung.

Mina turned to look at Chaeyoung, only to be welcomed by a furrowed brow and a scowl looking directly at a piece of paper on her desk. Mina, with undescribable emotions, let it go and packed her things and exits.

Chaeyoung groaned in frustration as she skimmed on her answers. She was 1 mistake off to actually tie with Mina and only 2 to best her. She’s always so close in beating her. She sighed and tried to loosen up. There’s nothing she can do but to study more on her next exams. Chaeyoung heard Mina’s chair clattered and her eyes followed the back of Mina’s head. I won’t give up.

“Chae!”

“Hm?”

“Want to go hang out with us? Mina already left, I didn’t even get to ask her.” Sana pouted. 

Yes, both Chaeyoung and Mina is in the same circle of friends despite their rivalry. They maybe rivals when it comes to anything that you can compete with, but it’s undeniable that it also fuels their unusual friendship with each other. They aren’t too close compared to others though.

“I’ll pass. I need to study.”

“The exams just ended. You need a break!”

“Yeah but I need to beat Mina.”

“Again with that.. There’s no way I can make you come with us?”

Chaeyoung shook her head.

“Fine. To make up for it. BOTH of you will be hanging out with us this weekend.”

“Ca-“ Sana gave a warning look to Chaeyoung making her shut up. “Okay..”

Chaeyoung is on her way home when she thought about Sana’s words from earlier. Maybe she does need a break and start fresh? Like a way to prepare herself for an upcoming harder study routine. She was considering on going to some new cafes near her school when her phone rang.

It was a text message from her boyfriend. 

Babe, i’ll be late because of school. Want to go out tomorrow? 

Chaeyoung simply sighed. Her blank and bored expression explains it all. They’ve been dating for over a year now and it was honestly fun on their first few months. He is charming like a typical popular guy would but when the relationship became more for him than for both of them, it throws the relationship off. She knows she has a rebellious tendencies and once thought of getting a tattoo and he said, “It would look bad when you’re old.” or “Are you sure? It’ll be painful. I don’t want to see you hurt.” Excuses. Just say because you don’t want it for your image. Dating a girl that you see as imperfect.

If she caught him cheating, it’ll be easier for her to end their relationship.

And so he did.

Chaeyoung stopped on her tracks to see her boyfriend on a high end restaurant with a woman. His hands on top of the girl’s, smiling charmingly like what he did when they first met. Chaeyoung can tell that it’s nowhere platonic as they continued to talk. She can only see the woman’s back but she doubt that she knows what exactly was happening.

Chaeyoung sighed yet again. It hurts a bit but maybe it’s her punishment for not being honest with him but then again, at least she didn’t cheat. 

Chaeyoung slowly walks inside the restaurant with an impassive expression. She kept her stare to her boyfriend until she’s standing beside their table. “Late because of school?” Her words were all devoid from emotions.

The usual practiced charming smile turned into panic. “C-Chaeyoung?! W-why are you here?” 

“More like, why are you here?

“I can explain. Can we go outside?”

“No.”

“B-but..-“

“Chaeyoung?” A smooth voice interrupted the couple.

Chaeyoung turned to look at the girl and to her surprise she gasped. “Mina?”

“Jeff?” The boyfriend said, trying to lighten up the mood.

Both girls ignored him and Mina asked first. “Care to explain?”

“You’ll understand it quicker when I say he’s my boyfriend.”

Mina nodded in understanding. “It did.”

Chaeyoung smirked. “It seems we’re also rivals in love. Going for one guy.”

Mina felt the playful tone of the shorter girl. She chuckled, “I won’t rival over him. I’m sorry to cause any displeasure between you two. I didn’t know.”

“I know you don’t. It’s fine. I don’t want to fight over him anyway.”

“Then, I guess it’s best for me leave.” Mina tidied her things and made sure her purse is on her hands.

“Well since you’re free now, what about a coffee in my place?”

“You should’ve ask for a date first. Such bold gesture.”

“Cut that out. So, you in?”

“Of course.” Like reflex, Chaeyoung moved her hand near Mina for her to grab it, which Mina did and help her stand up. It was so natural that it confused the two for a second.

Both girls are on the exit when Chaeyoung turned around to look at the dumb founded boyfriend. “Oh yeah. Let’s break up.”

“W-what-“ 

People inside the restaurant were murmuring and the guy stood in the middle, trembling because of his highest peak humihiliation.