Producers II

[Red Velvet - WenRene] Producers

[WenRene] Producers

This one is a little shorter but I am actually glad that it's a more resolute ending.


“There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love.”

 

Wendy was never into politics but she always found wisdom in the eloquent words of Martin Luther King. 

 

She grew up abiding by his quotes because most of the time as much as she wanted to deny it, she found it to be true. 

 

Even when it came to love.

 

She used to like the idea of love; loved the jaunty feeling of being so high above the clouds where nothing can stop you, hinder you and hurt you, but in an instant, in a moment of tremor, fear, doubt and apprehension swallow you whole. 

 

She sensed it the morning after, the familiarity of it all hit too close to home; to heartbreak.

 

Wendy laid there, staring and tracing embers on Irene‘s flesh, scheming the what if’s and the possibilities of her love life coming to a full circle. She wanted to believe that this time would be different, that she no longer thought that way but deep inside she knew it would be the same. Because for all the warmth she exudes came the coldness that crept in. 

 

The coldness in the form of her haunting past.

 


 

 

Seungwan had woken up, ready to pepper her girlfriend with kisses when she was met with a , sitting up, facing the vast window of her room. She was about to greet the brunette but retreated when she heard traces of her conversation on the phone.

 

Seungwan didn’t want to impose, wanting to ignore it and respect her girlfriend’s privacy, but it was far too saccharine and foreboding to dismiss.

 

“Yes, I slept with her. Why does it matter to you?” the female informed, her tone bereft of the warmth and compassion she grew to love. 

 

Seungwan stayed silent, even as far as closing her eyes to dispel any suspicions of being awake. She hoped her girlfriend would take this call outside, so she could at least pretend like it never happened.

 

And just as she hoped, there was light movement on the bed, and sounds of scuffling. But not to the living room. No. The sounds came closer, a heavy presence intimately close to her “unconscious” body.

 

“I like her,” she said and Seungwan found it in every nerve to refrain herself from giving a reaction. 

 

She wanted to say it back, maybe pretend like she just woke up, but this would have resulted in an awkward predicament that she didn’t know how to handle. So she stayed still. 

 

“That’s why I don’t want to do it to her,” she disclosed, voice laced with melancholy.

 

Seungwan’s eyebrows lightly knitted at the statement. ‘Do what?’

 

She couldn’t ask that, so she remained silent. 

 

But maybe she should’ve.

 

She felt a light rub on her eyebrows, easing the creases of her worries.

 

”I think I love her.” The female said, letting out an exasperated sigh, her slim fingers running through Seungwan’s chestnut locks. 

 

The latter softened at the words, all doubts and apprehensions lifted from her shoulders from those mere three words.

 

Seungwan turned in the sheets, freeing herself from the warm touch to escape the fluttering emotions that came with it. But more so, to let out a small and satisfied grin she failed to hold back, taking pride in trusting Jennie with all of her heart. 

 

Some time during her dazed pretence, she actually fell back asleep, drowning in the remnants of her cloud nine; on the reassurance of Jennie’s endearing words. 

 

She believed that love was amazing; that love was the reason for her jovial mornings and the cause to her peaceful nights. I mean who could blame her, she loved someone who loved her back. For her, there was nothing that could go wrong, especially now that she heard it from Jennie’s mouth—although unintentionally. 

 

But she was young.

 

And she was wrong.

 

For that very morning when she woke up, Jennie had fled, without a trace and without her love. 

 

At first she was frantic with worry, but then she remembered the conversation. 'I don’t want to do it to her.’  Whatever it was she was talking about, was this what she meant?

 

But why? She heard it herself that Jennie didn’t want to. 

 

So why?

 

Seungwan’s questions remain unanswered, she never saw traces of the brunette again. Not once had Jennie called to explain herself, and this gave Seungwan all the more reason to move on; to forget about her and to forget about love. She grew to detest the idea of love, deducing it as a weakness, a lie that doesn’t need to be told. So she encased whatever she had left of it in a metal box, wielding it shut and throwing it somewhere in the abyss that used to have her heart. 

 

It’s been a little over five years since she left. Seungwan had no desire or hope to ever reignite that same passion; always found herself rejecting any advances or any blind dates Joy would set up.

 

But somehow, unexpectedly, as if by fate (if Seungwan still believed in that) a beautiful raven seeped through the cracks of her defences, pulverizing it with her sole smile—the beam of a thousand suns. Then with the eyes of infinite galaxies, Irene bored into the abyss and pulled out the remaining benevolence Seungwan had, cradling it in her hand to nourish the love that it once held. 

 

So let her be scared. 

 

Because why should she give her heart, when all she’s ever known is the anguish that awaits in the end. 

 

All the more she was scared when she watched Irene sleep, feeling the light thumps altering to hammers against her chest, along with the beads of sweat forming in her palms and the internal hesitation to touch something so fragile as if afraid to break it. 

 

She knew this feeling like the back of her hand. And she knew what followed it.

 

Like a normal person, she should be elevated, euphoric, heck, overjoyed with this feeling, but all that ran through her was fear—of being left behind, heartbroken and abandoned. Just like last time.

 

But this won’t be like last time. This time she won’t be abandoned. This time she’ll be listening to her head. 

 

And she hopes that this time she’s made the right choice.

 

-----

 

Day 16

 

“I don’t understand Wendy. The first episode ratings were amazing. Why do you wanna drop the project?” 

 

Wendy stood in front of the suited man, calculating all the reasons as to why she needed to leave without exposing Irene. God forbid something happens to her career because of Wendy’s carelessness. 

 

“I’ve been offered a gig at another well-established show,” she said, hoping her lie was convincing enough.

 

The male intently eyed her as if scanning her face for any signs of deception, but whether he saw any, he didn’t say. In the end, he nodded in affirmation. “You do realize this is a breach of contract right?” 

 

Wendy met his gaze, not liking the challenge in his voice but nonetheless bobbed her head.

 

She was a veteran in the industry. Of course she knew. Knowing this and still choosing to resume with her decision truly implies the weight of her actions. 

 

Maybe that’s why the man is calm. 

 

“I’ll have the lawyers look at it and persuade them not to press charges. I know you’re not like this Wendy. Whatever is happening behind the cameras, I don’t want to know but I need you to figure it out,” he said, genuine sincerity and worry twined in his words. He’s a long time senior to Wendy and has known the girl since she stepped foot in the company. Of course he understood her. “Come back whenever you’re ready.” 

 

Wendy deeply bowed, offering her gratitude in exchange for his understanding. “Thank you, LeeTeuk sunbae.”

 

It was a simple statement but between them she knew it held a lot more meaning. He’s the reason she became well-known in the industry; they were something akin to ten year siblings, with Wendy always finding something to learn from the older and the latter always protecting the younger. 

 

“Thank you for everything,” she says once more. 

 

He dismisses her with a wave of his hand. “Just do what you need to do.” 

 

She straightens her posture and bows before taking her leave.

 

Stepping out of the office, she knows what she’s leaving behind. 

 

She sees the traces of a pretty smile with pretty eyes. 

 

“Good morning!” Irene joyfully greets, peppering Wendy with soft kisses and a sight to behold. She’s adorning Wendy’s simple clothes with a warm smile that dissipates the coldness beneath the blonde’s skin. 

 

“Good morning,” Wendy parrots, wishing for a forever with the beauty.

 

She sees an innocent face with a childish laugh. 

 

“Wendy-ssi! I’m ticklish! Stop!”

 

But she doesn’t stop, she wants to hear that melodious laughter penetrate her ears like a record meant to be played over and over again, hoping to have it etched in her brain for the lonely years to come. 

 

She also sees a possible future but is weighed down with inklings of her past.

 

“Will I see you again?” Irene asked with a glimmer of hope in dark orbs.

 

Wendy smiled, feeling her heart quiver at the sight because she knew the answer and yet told a lie. “Sure.” 

 

But more importantly, she sees what her heart wants but what her mind dismays. 

 

And she’s listened to her heart before and she made a mistake by doing so. 

 

So she’s walking out before she repeats it again.

 

-----

 

Day 17 

 

Irene sat in her trailer, glancing down at the array of unanswered texts. 

 

It’s been a few days since she’s received a text from the blonde, so unsurprisingly, she was a little worried— especially having been told of promises to meet again. 

 

Wendy-ssi, how are you today? (Unread 8:01am)

 

Are you busy? (Unread 8:33am)

 

She scrolls even further, to text messages sent days before.

 

I had a great time. (Unread 12:14pm)

 

Can we meet soon? (Unread 12:15pm)

 

Then she scrolls to the last message Wendy sent her right after their dinner. 

 

If by any chance we meet again. I hope you can forgive me. (Received 9:24pm)

 

A sense of trepidation overcame her as she replayed the text in her head and linked it with Wendy’s recent distant behaviour. There were definitely hints of a deeper meaning behind the message, but she couldn’t pinpoint what the meaning was.

 

Still, her suspicions were right. 

 

“Irene unnie!” Yeri ran into her trailer, heavily panting and hunched over on her knees. “Did you hear? Wendy unnie quit.” 

 

Irene immediately stood up, her face contorting in disbelief. “What? Why?” 

 

“I-I don’t know. We just heard from LeeTeuk sunbae when he came in to introduce our new director.” 

 

Feeling betrayed, she glanced at her phone, tapping on it before bringing it to her ear.

 

First ring…

 

“Come on Wendy-ssi.” 

 

Second ring…

 

“You wouldn’t do this.”

 

Third ring…

 

She glanced over at Yeri who reflected her worried expression. She didn’t know what their relationship was but it seems that she too had some questions she wanted answers for. 

 

‘I’m sorry but the person you have dialed is unavailable. Please try—‘

 

“She’s not answering her phone.”

 

The shorter girl nodded. She had nothing to say on her part but she knew how this would affect the older girl. 

 

Taking a step closer to Irene, she looked at her, worry permeating her face. “Unnie, I know you guys had something going on. Are you okay?”

 

Irene merely stared at Yeri, allowing the emotions to seep in. 

 

She thought they were fine, that they were on the same page in this story. So why was Wendy acting up now? 

 

Was it her? Did she do anything to cause the blonde to act indifferent? Maybe she was too forward, too haste in this love story. She honestly didn’t know what she was doing, she just really liked Wendy. But was that a mistake on her part? Clearly.

 

Irene slumped back on the chair with her face in her hands. “I just don’t understand—“ 

 

Was she gonna cry? She didn’t want to. Especially not in front of Yeri. But she felt the liquid b. Then came the sniffles.

 

Yeri says nothing at first, only putting a hand on Irene’s shoulder to offer support, but it does nothing to ease her distress, so she gave her the best comfort she could: her sincerity. “We’ll figure it out together. I’ll talk to Joy unnie and see what she knows.”

 

Irene gives a small action of a nod. She’s never had real close friends before, but she feels that whatever this display of concern is is similar to one. So she’s grateful for Yeri and her companionship. 

 

“For now, we still have to continue with the shoot. I’ll stall the production team while you freshen up,” Yeri said, patting Irene’s shoulder.

 

“Thank you.”

 

-----

 

‘Seungwan unnie, why are you doing this?’ a snarl leaked from her phone.

 

She expected it. The aftermath of her actions, especially Joy blowing up, except she imagined it being in her face not her phone. She knew the younger girl rooted for her in her love life, so it was no surprise that the tall girl was upset. But to call her by that name. Now, that meant something else.

 

“Joy, you don’t understand—”

 

‘No, unnie. You don’t understand.’

 

She hears Joy take a breath. There were words forming in but were failing to come out.

 

The younger girl wants to say the right things to bring out Seungwan, but she doesn’t want to hurt Wendy, not if she happens to completely close off her shell, drowning Seungwan in the abyss where she can never escape from.

 

She lets out the breath. 

 

‘Unnie. This is the first good thing you’ve had since Jennie unnie. Why are you messing it up?’ 

 

Wendy remains silent, her fingers circling the rim of her cup as she ponders the question. There’s only one answer—a valid one too.

 

“I’m scared, Joy. You know how I was.”

 

Joy laughs. ‘I know. But this is different. I know you know it too.’

 

“I don’t want to do it to her.”

 

‘Haven’t we heard that one before? How ironic is it that you’re doing the same thing that Jennie did to you.’

 

Wendy’s hands ball up into a tight fist, her uncut nails indenting carvings on her skin. “I’m not like her,” she grits through her teeth.

 

‘Then don’t be.’

 

She wasn’t—or she didn’t mean to. 

 

‘Irene was a mess today. Even as a good actress, no one can fake their happiness.’

 

“Did she cry?” 

 

‘I don’t know. Maybe. But it doesn’t matter. Not when you’re not gonna do anything about it.’

 

She’s right. Who was Wendy to care when she’s the reason behind Irene's sadness? Was she gonna take responsibility for it? Certainly not with the way she’s acting right now. But still, the image of an upset raven worried her. 

 

‘I don’t know what you need to be told. But please, don’t deny yourself the chance to be happy.’ 

 

“I know, Joy.”

 

She hears a groan through the speaker. ‘We’re still best friends so I’ll get the ice cream and I’ll be there soon. Bye.’

 

“Bye.”

 

Wendy threw her phone across the sofa, shifting to a better position to mull over her decisions. 

 

Did she choose wrong again? What if this time was different?

 

Was she gonna let her fears swallow her whole? Was she even courageous enough?

 

She just doesn’t want to feel like that again.



 

 

Like that winter afternoon, when the coldness began to creep in. When the blue skies drowned beneath the grey clouds; the light of the sun succumbing to the early twilight as Seungwan fell deeper and deeper into hopelessness and false beliefs. Because as much as she hoped, and as much as she wanted to believe, all that was left, was herself.

 

“She’s gone!” Seungwan cried, burying herself into Joy’s shoulder, the tears dampening the soft cloth.

 

All morning she was conflicted with herself, wanting to believe that Jennie didn’t really leave. But after the tenth unanswered call, she knew Jennie left and she knew that she won’t be back for good. And yet, the pang and the wrenching were present, still so painful— as if someone reached into her chest and squeezed until it imploded. 

 

She couldn’t breathe, not without her heart. 

 

“She’s coming back Seungwan.” Joy whispered in her ear, her soft digits running through Seungwan’s hair, the gesture painfully reminding her of this morning.

 

“No she’s not Joy. I heard her.”
 

Joy pulled Seungwan back, holding her by the shoulders to meet her eyes. “What do you mean?”

 

Seungwan brushed away her tears and took a long breath to dispel her short sobs. “This morning, she was talking to someone. She said something about not wanting to do it to me. I believed her so I went back to sleep. And when I woke up—”

 

“She was gone. But how do you know she’s gone completely?” Joy asked, wiping away the endless tears running down her friend’s face.

 

“I thought that maybe she went out for groceries or something and called her, but she never answered. I texted her. I called her again, repeatedly. She never answered.” The sobs came back and along with it the stings of abandonment. She clenched onto her chest, desperately trying to stop the pain but clearly it was futile. “Joy, it hurts! I loved her. Why would she do that to me?” 

 

Joy felt water trickling its way up to her own eyes, but she blinked it away. She needed to be strong for the both of them. “I-I don’t know.” She really didn’t know. She didn’t know what to say or what to do in order to reassure Seungwan that she’ll be fine. She’s never seen Wendy like this before and she didn’t want to break the already broken female in the possibility of saying something wrong. So she kept mum, brushing her hair, cradling the smaller girl in her arms until she cried herself to sleep. And she hoped that truly one day, she’ll be fine. 

 

But maybe that’s where she made a mistake. 

 

She didn’t say those words to Seungwan.

 

She watched Seungwan build her walls.

 

She watched the once lovable unnie turn into the cold-hearted female that everyone grew to be scared of. 

 

She watched her become Wendy.

 

But even then, to her, she saw the wisps of Seungwan in Wendy’s eyes. Seeing it then, Joy had hope that Wendy’s old self would make a return. She just needed the right person to bring it out of her.

 

And she saw her when Wendy watched Irene. 

 

When she caught fragments of those small smirks, and light laughter whenever they talked.

 

When she heard the clumsy stutters and awkwardness that could only be Seungwan making an appearance.

 

She knew then that Irene would be the key to bringing Seungwan back.

 

And yet, Wendy had to stop her; had to draw back Seungwan in that cage and lock her in. 

 

Maybe because Wendy was that scared. She wanted to protect herself again, even if it meant hurting the one her two halves love in the process.

 

Wendy sighed, muttering curses under breath. She never liked thinking too deeply, because she would forever drown in her thoughts and worries until she felt safe enough to come out. And right now, she was far from safe.

 

Joy better get here soon to save her from herself.

 

Ding! Dong!

 

‘Well that was quick.’

 

Getting up from the sofa and making her way to the entrance, she spoke. “Joy, did you fly over here? How did you—” 

 

Her words died at . Her palms trickled with anxiety, while her heart hopelessly thrummed to escape, to run into the hands of the one who nourished it. 

 

“I-Irene,” she mumbled, her grip tightening at the door knob.

 

The raven looked like a mess. Or however messy a goddess could look like. 

 

“What are you doing here?” Wendy asked, wanting to break the silence between them.

 

Irene narrowed her eyes, infernos forming in her irises. “What am I doing here?!” 

 

On Wendy’s part, that was a pretty stupid question. Why wouldn’t someone come looking for a suddenly missing girl who had previously shown interest in said someone? Now that she thinks about it, it was a horrendously idiotic question. 

 

“I’m sorry. I meant to say, I didn’t expect you to be here.” Of course the latter had her reasons to visit and would take more than a few exchanged sentences to be resolved, so she moved to the side and gestured for Irene to enter. 

 

Irene sat herself on the couch—on which they made out on, which she has slept on and has weirdly grown to become very attached to—she glared at Wendy as the female sat down on the solo sofa. “Why did you quit?”

 

“I was offered another job.” 

 

Irene crossed her arms. “It has nothing to do with us?” she asked, her expression softening.

 

Wendy averted her gaze. “Yes.”

 

“Then why are you avoiding me? Not answering my texts and calls?” Irene never wanted to sound like a possessive girlfriend (if she was one), she always thought of herself to be understanding and considerate of others’ actions. But this is a different circumstance. She wasn’t even given a reason behind those actions. So her question is justified.

 

Wendy kept her eyes trained on the glass table, on the coffee she has long abandoned. “I was busy.”

 

Now Irene has heard this line before. It was in her scripts, usually followed by more excuses from the male protagonists who never admitted the truth, which in the end comes to bite them in the . But to hear it from Wendy was a new low. She at least deserves a bit of an explanation. “I’m not dumb, Wendy-ssi.”

 

The blonde raised her eyes at that statement. ‘I know you’re not.’ “I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.” She said, cold frost lacing her voice.

 

Irene stared deeply into Wendy’s soul, hoping to find vestiges of a love that should still be there. But Wendy doesn’t let her, in those eyes she’s shut off complete access to her heart. And that idea alone had Irene’s eyes turning away from the female’s scathing gaze. 

 

“Did I do something wrong for you to act this way towards me?” she asked, feeling a familiar sting in her eyes. 

 

‘No you didn’t.’ “Again, Irene-ssi. I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.” 

 

Tears were falling now and Seungwan wanted to desperately reach out and catch them; to hold the raven and gush out her strings of apologies. The sight was prickling Wendy’s chest but she wasn’t moving. 

 

She didn’t move when she watched Irene’s face twist into anguish, into that familiar feeling she was previously submerged in. 

 

But Seungwan was mercilessly clawing, and was pushing Wendy to do something. It was slowly working. The blonde moved her hand, but stopped when Irene stood.

 

“Okay. I understand. I’m sorry. I made a mistake.” Irene mumbled, hastily making her way to the exit, not once looking back at Seungwan who followed after, who missed her chance by the breadth of a hair. 

 

The door slammed shut, leaving Wendy by herself. Again.

 

Minutes after, came another series of dings and dongs.

 

Wendy (or Seungwan?) who hadn’t moved an inch from the door, pulled on the handle, letting it be pushed by Joy who let herself in. 

 

“Unnie?” she called out, failing to notice the bundled figure by the foot of the door. 

 

“Unnie!” she exclaimed, crawling down onto the ground to pull the girl into a hug.

 

Wendy leaned into her touch, finally letting out the tears she held in. “I think I made a mistake, Joy.” 

 

“You think?”

 

“I don’t know what to do. I want to be with her but I’m still so scared. I’m not ready.”

 

Joy hugged her tighter, at last letting out the words she should’ve said. “It’s alright Seungwan unnie. You’ll be fine. Both of you will.”

 

Wendy nods, truly taking Joy’s words to heart.

 

She wants to be fine.

 

This time she’s going to be fine.

 

But until when is she going to be truly fine?

 

-----

 

She stopped counting the days it took to fall in love with Irene. It was pointless, because she knew the girl already had her on Day 1. 

 

Now, she was counting the days it’ll take for Irene to love her again. 

 

Today, being Day 29.

 

She sat in her home office, phone in hand as she busied herself with Day 29 of winning Irene over.

 

“Yes, it’s the small bundle of lilacs wrapped with purple peonies.” Wendy confirmed, tracing the flowers on the blueprints of her extravagant surprise.

 

She mentally thanked Yeri for her help and bit her lip in excitement as she looked over the detailed illustration at hand. 

 

“Yes, she likes purple,” she counts the number of purple objects in the blueprint. “A lot.”

 

She knows she’s got it bad for Irene, which is why she’s putting one hundred and ten percent into winning her over. She made the revelation a few weeks ago once she’s finally overcome her slump. Something about Joy saying she’ll get through it made her believe that she will truly overcome it. If her friend can hope for a better future for her, then why can’t she?

 

“Please have them delivered at KBS Studio set five by...” she glanced at her wrist watch, an hour till go time. “4:50 and say it’s from Son PD. But please tell your men to be on standby until they see a black Audi roll in.” 

 

Wendy got up from her office chair, and picked up a set of keys by the front door. “Okay thank you for your hard work. It was a pleasure working with you.” 

 

She hung up the phone call and chanced a final look at the mirror before heading downstairs to her car.

 

She was on her way to Irene’s favourite bakery shop, to pick up a carrot cake she ordered. It was something Yeri mentioned, urging her to bring it to the studio on the 29th because Irene would totally gush over her crush bringing her favourite cake on her birthday. So she happily complied and shifted in her seat excitedly, enjoying the vision of Irene beaming at her, heart laid out to take. 

 

Hopefully today will be the day Irene will finally accept her courtship. It’s already plan ‘AC,’ or better yet, attempt twenty-nine of winning Irene over. She sent her chocolates, love letters and even paid for a food truck dedicated to her for the whole shooting of their reality show. 

 

Now that one was suggested by Yeri and Seulgi, presumably wanting free daily meals instead of the snacks they get at the set. She admitted she was conned but she wasn’t angry, she couldn’t be, not when they sent her a video of Irene happily munching on the tteokbokki cup the food truck served. Albeit, it still didn’t earn her a text message from the onyx-haired. But she wasn’t let down, she saw it as a challenge, saying “try harder.” And for Irene, she definitely will. 

 

She shut off her engine and crossed the asphalt road, pushing on the glass door with the light bell tinkling above her head. Eagerly, she strode towards the pastry case, bending down to analyze the cakes at the bottom shelf.

 

“Hello,” the baker greeted out of courtesy.

 

Wendy stood up with a smile on her face. A smile which quickly faded once she met the baker’s gaze. 

 

Those brown eyes. She remembers waking up to them and loving the way those orbs resembled a cat’s. It was those eyes that sent chills beneath her flesh, that crawled under her skin, making a home in its familiarity. Those eyes. 

 

Jennie’s eyes.

 

“Jennie,” Wendy uttered, trying to convince herself that this was real. 

 

The brown eyes hardened at the mention of her name. Her soft features going stoic under Wendy’s scrutiny. Her brown orbs flitting between Wendy and anything else. 

 

“Seungwan.”

 

That voice trickled in her ears. That honey vocal who used to call her to bed, to wake up, the dulcet tones bringing warmth to her heart. But now, all it brings is misery.

 

She’s never imagined being in this predicament. She thought it was a dream too good to be true. To have her questions answered and to have her mind at peace. Such a chance never occurred to her. Not until now.

 

“What are you doing here?” Wendy asked, the question implying much more than its face value.

 

Jennie trudged towards the counter, where her face was much visible. Wendy trailed after, her body moving in sync with the former, just like before. 

 

“I own this shop,” she said, her tone cordial and friendly.

 

Wendy kept her eyes on Jennie. “No. I mean here. Why are you here? You left.”

 

Jennie looked down, averting Wendy’s eyes, hands gripping tightly at the edges of the counter. “I had to, Wannie.”

 

‘Wannie.’ Wendy winced at the nickname. She hasn’t heard that in a long time. “Don’t.”

 

The brunette looked up with pleading eyes and leaned over to circle her fingers around Wendy’s wrist. “Seungwan, let me explain,” she requested but it fell on deaf ears as Wendy looked down at the soft fingers, the big diamond glimmering beneath the artificial light.

 

“There’s no need to,” she uttered, not sadly but disappointedly.

 

Jennie followed her line of sight and released her grip. “Wan—“

 

“Jennie please, I just came here for what I ordered.” 

 

Wendy wanted to forgive her. But those feelings returned and it came back with full force, reminding her of that pain, that loneliness she suffered through.

 

Realizing Wendy’s defenses, Jennie walked around the counter. She didn’t know how to come off genuinely without being denied the chance to explain herself. So she did the one thing that calmed her Seungwan, arms enclosing around Wendy’s thin figure. 

 

She felt Wendy scuffle under her embrace but she didn’t let go. Not this time. “Wan, I loved you. I truly did.”

 

Wendy stopped. 

 

“My parents, they would never approve of us,” she mumbled in the girl’s shoulder, her grip tightening, afraid that Wendy would slip beneath her grasp. “I was a coward, I ran—into the arms I felt safe in. In Kai’s.”

 

Tears began to trickle down Wendy’s cheek, the images vividly replaying in her head; of those moments she felt were sincere when in fact there was another story behind it. 

 

“You never loved me.” Wendy uttered, her voice cracking.

 

Jennie matched her sobs. “I did. It was there at one point.”

 

“But it wasn’t enough.”

 

Jennie shook her head, pulling it back and boring her eyes deeply into Wendy’s, hoping her sincerity could be felt and seen. “Every day, I lived in guilt of leaving you the way I did…”

 

Each word that escaped her lips brought back a piece of Wendy’s soul, her heart. 

 

“I loved you Seungwan. I’m sorry that I couldn’t do enough.”

 

It was a simple statement. And it did do enough. 

 

Wendy urged her hand to move, to return Jennie’s hug because she too wanted to make peace with herself. They didn’t want to say anything else, only reminiscing on the warmth they previously craved from one another. The hug implying the extinguished fire in their hearts. 

 

Wendy pulled back, taking a breath, a painful sting in her heart patching the pieces back together, making her whole again. 

 

“I forgive you,” she said, an honest smile gracing her lips. 

 

Jennie smiled back, relief washing over their bodies as they closed a chapter in both of their books.

 

For once, after a very long time, Wendy could comfortably breathe. 

 

And after their heartfelt moment, Wendy was more than happy to engage in light conversation with Jennie, the both of them catching each other up on the status of their lives. 

 

“So, you’re here to buy a carrot cake for your crush?” Jennie asked, icing the freshly baked cupcakes on the counter.

 

Wendy smiled. “Is that weird?”

 

“No, it just reminded me of how cute you were.”

 

The blonde didn’t know how to respond to that, choosing to remain silent than acknowledge it. 

 

“I’m sorry. Was that weird?”

 

“No,” Wendy quickly reassured. “Just unexpected. It’s been a long time you know.”

 

Jennie nodded, feeling the weight of Wendy’s words. 

 

Beep! Wendy glanced down at her watch ‘4:30.’

 

“Oh hey look, um I’ve got to go. Can you—“

 

Before Wendy could finish, Jennie wiped her hands on her apron and pulled out a boxed carrot cake from the fridge behind, pushing it to Wendy. “Here. It’s on the house. Take it as a token of friendship.”

 

Wendy looked up from the pastry. “Only if you let me take you out to dinner. As friends of course.”

 

“I’d like that.” Jennie smiled, wrapping the box with a neatly-tied bow before handing it over to Wendy but not before quickly analyzing her new appearance. “By the way, you look really good in blonde. Irene better not reject a beauty like you.”

 

Wendy didn’t know if she could get used to this type of banter between them, but regardless, she was thankful for it. It just meant that they were one step closer to a better friendship.

 

“Thanks,” she says, taking the box from Jennie’s hand along with the number written on a blank receipt.

 

If this was another dimension, then maybe Jennie and her would’ve had their forever. But sadly, this wasn't and that maybe her forever was meant to be with someone else. A dark-haired beauty perhaps.

 

She pushed on the door, bidding farewell to Jennie and made her way back to the car, feeling more resolute and encouraged than ever. 

 

Day 29 must be her lucky day.



 

 

Quickly, pulling in to the studio set, she surveyed the array of suited men each with an impassive face. She internally applauded them for their strict professionalism and mentally noted to write a really good review on their company’s website.

 

She passed by them, her jet black Audi R8 quickly catching the attention of men and the bystanders around. 

 

Maybe she should’ve chosen a subtler form of transportation.

 

Stepping out of her car, she firmly gripped onto the pastry and strode towards the center of the set. Just behind her she could feel that she was being followed by the suited men and she forcefully tried to ignore the giggles and squeals of excitement from her many peers. 

 

They all heard of the budding romance between the cold-hearted director and the beautiful actress, and all of them rooted for its success. In fact, a lot of them attempted to persuade Irene to at least send her gratitude, but the raven dismayed all of them, staying silent and not answering their suspicions. There was no one to persuade her, not unless she saw the girl herself. 

 

Of course, she wasn’t gonna deny that she missed Wendy, but she was also not gonna admit that out loud. 

 

So when she heard that Wendy was on set today, she admitted that she was excited but did her very best to contain it. Although it was very hard, especially when one of her staff members (specifically Yeri) was screaming in anticipation. She vowed to stay beside Irene, saying something about emotional support but truly she was there to watch the whole incident play out. 

 

And now that Wendy was on sight, holding her favourite flowers and her favourite cake with dozens of men holding her favourite flower, she was crumbling. Especially when Wendy looked so beautiful with her platinum gold hair, and that long brown coat, swaying slightly behind her, providing glimpses of her curvaceous figure. From then on, Irene knew she was in trouble. 

 

Yeri squealed, gripping tightly on Irene’s arm to contain her enthusiasm and effectively pulling the latter out of her daze.

 

“Yeri!” Irene gritted through her teeth, prompting the female to move behind her in silent glee. 

 

Wendy finally stood an arm’s width from Irene, her rose-tinted cheeks, and shy smile melting the thin ice in the latter’s heart. 

 

From the corner of Irene’s vision, she could see Joy and Seulgi pushing their way to the sidelines, holding each other giddily as they watched the exchange. But, Irene fixed her attention back on Wendy, a steely expression adorning her face while she watched the latter awkwardly fumble with the object in her hand. 

 

Oh how the tables have turned. 

 

If a month ago, someone told Irene that her crush, the frost-hearted tyrant of KBS studio would be ungracefully courting her in front of her staff members, she would laugh in their face and proceed to gawk at the director.

 

But now that it was her reality, she found it hard to reject the smile that made its way upon her lips. 

 

“So. Whatcha got there?” Irene let out, head nodding at the box.

 

Wendy glanced up, finally returning Irene’s stare, the corners of her lips twitching up. “It’s for you. Happy birthday!”

 

The raven’s eyebrows shot up. “Really? That’s it?”

 

Wendy comically rolled her eyes and let out a sigh. “You’re gonna make this hard on me, aren’t you?”

 

Irene shrugged and crossed her arms playfully. “Let’s see what you can do.”

 

“Alright then, anything for you princess.” Wendy smirked and got down on one knee, the action eliciting gasps and screeches from their spectators (excluding the suited men), each of them taken aback by the tyrant’s unexpected gesture. Irene included. 

 

She cleared . “Irene-ssi,” she began, inducing the spectators to inch closer. “Will you forgive me and give this lonely Olaf another chance?”

 

For a set so big, there was silence booming in each direction. All heads simultaneously turned in her direction, each spectator holding their breath in anticipation, all of them awaiting her response. 

 

She looked back on those chestnut brown eyes, so hopeful and full of sincerity. In it she saw happy mornings and promises of endless tomorrows and the idea gave her the right amount of encouragement to lean down and catch those plump lips in a passionate kiss. 

 

Wendy stood up, circling her arms around Irene’s waist and returning the kiss with the same fervor.

 

They heard cheers from all around them but all they could focus on was the beat of their hearts, thumping in sync, and the mixture of lavender and vanilla ambushing their nose, both of them wanting to capture this moment forever.

 

They pull back, foreheads grazing as they catch their breaths. 

 

“So, is that a yes?” Wendy asked.

 

Irene bit her lip and brushed it against the blonde’s ear. 

 

“I told you, you had me since Day 1.”


Thank you all for reading and supporting this story. I truly enjoyed reading everyone's comments, (Ya'll are too nice!) it helped me out a lot in wanting to finish this story. 

And if you want, please write down some AU's that I can maybe drabble on and post on my other (Miscellanea) one shot series.

So again, thank ya'll! I hope you liked it.