Me and a Penguin called Icy

Me and a Penguin called Icy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ah, my head,” Mina groaned as she awakened from her slumber, rubbing her forehead to try to ease the pain. “I really shouldn't have had that drink with Sana after work last night.” She rolled over from facing her wall to find a glass of water and two paracetamol pills on her bedside table. Throwing the duvet from over her, Mina sat up and took the medicine to ease her headache. ‘I wonder what time it is’ she thought as she picked up her phone. 09:25 . “! I’m late for work.” Mina quickly stood up from her bed and threw her work clothes on before rushing out into the living area.

 

“Happy birthday!” Mina heard two voices shout at the top of their lungs.

 

“Ahh, couldn't you have said it any quieter?” Mina asked as she held her hands over her sensitive ears and once again rubbed her head.

 

“Sorry, Mina!" Dahyun whispered, pulling an awkward face. "Happy birthday,” she added, smiling.

 

“Yeah, we just wanted to celebrate your birthday with you. How’s your head?” The other asked, also whispering.

 

“Sorry, I’d love to stop and chat, but I’m late for work. Thank you for th-” Mina tried to rush out of the house before being interrupted.

 

“You don’t have work today,” the woman with purple ombre hair informed Mina.

 

“What do you mean I don’t have work today, Dahyun?” Mina stood in the door frame, puzzled as to why Dahyun was saying what she was saying.

 

“We called Momo and she agreed that you could have the day off today,” a small, blonde woman replied, “besides, it’s your birthday, you should enjoy it!”

 

“You did that for me?” Mina grinned her head still spinning slightly from the hangover.

 

“We both did, we wanted you to have the best birthday ever,” Dahyun smiled sincerely.

 

“And we know exactly how to do that.” Chaeyoung turned to face Dahyun, with the latter meeting her eyes. “You ready bro?”

 

“Anything for you, bro.” Dahyun pecked Chaeyoung on the lips before turning to face Mina. “Why are you still standing there? Come on! Let’s go to the car.”

 

“The...car?” Mina was completely confused by what she had just been instructed to do.

 

“Yes, to the car Mina,” Chaeyoung giggled, “This is going to be the start of the best birthday, if not the best day, you have ever had.”

 

As the trio made their way out of the house they shared, with Mina leading the way, Dahyun turned to Chaeyoung. “Make sure you've grabbed the bag, we don't want to forget it,” she said, making sure that Mina couldn't hear her.

 

“Of course, I’ll grab it now.” Chaeyoung quickly ran back into the bedroom that she shared with Dahyun, picking up the carrier bag. She then turned and ran out of her bedroom, through the living room and out of the front door, making sure to shut and lock it, before throwing the bag in the boot of the car and getting in the passenger side.

 

“So...are you going to tell me where we are going?” Mina said from the backseat of the car.

 

The pair in the front giggled. “Now if we told you where we are going, that would ruin the surprise, wouldn’t it?” Dahyun said as she glanced up at the rear-view window, seeing Mina pouting.

 

Dahyun reached for the gear stick when her hand was met by another hand. She felt the hand slowly lock fingers over the top of hers. She managed to steal a glance at Chaeyoung for a split second before focusing back on the road, her cheeks slightly pink from the touch of her girlfriend. 

 

Mina could see all this happening and could feel something continuing to nag at her. ‘When will that happen to me?’ she thought. Mina wasn’t one to actively go out to find love, especially with her busy schedule. Being a dance teacher at Queen’s Dance Academy with Momo by day, and then a gamer by night, she just never had the chance to find love, she was waiting for love to find her.

 

After a short journey, or a long journey for Mina and her thoughts, they started to approach where they were going for Mina’s birthday surprise.

 

“Cover your eyes, Mina!” Chaeyoung said excitedly.

 

“Why do you want me to do that?” Mina asked.

 

“Because it’s for your surprise,” Chaeyoung replied.

 

“But I want to see where we're going,” Mina pouted.

 

“Please Mina,” Chaeyoung pleaded with her puppy eyes, “you will love this, I know you will. You do trust me, right?”

 

“Of course I trust you, It’s jus-” Mina started before being interrupted.

 

“Well then, cover your eyes so you can’t see where we're going!” Chaeyoung giggled.

 

“And no peeking either,” Dahyun added.

 

Mina sighed and did what she was told, covering her eyes. ‘This surprise better be worth it.’ Mina suppressed the thought; her friends were taking her somewhere, the least she could do was be thankful and enjoy it.

 

A few minutes later and the car came to a stop. They had arrived at their destination. “I’ll just go and, you know, deal with the ticket machine.” Dahyun said as she got out of the car, winking at Chaeyoung.

 

“Can I uncover my eyes now?” Mina requested.

 

“Not yet, we are nearly done though.” Chaeyoung said as she saw Dahyun walking back to the car, this time returning with someone alongside her. Chaeyoung pointed to the door where Mina was sitting next to, as Dahyun and the woman walked round to it.

 

Dahyun opened the door. “You can uncover your eyes now Mina.”

 

Mina did as she was told and removed her hands from in front of her eyes. She immediately looked to her left and found Dahyun holding the door open with a tall woman dressed in green coveralls.

 

“Hey Mina, my name is Tzuyu and I am the vet here at the Sea Life Centre, Busan, and with the help of your friends, you are going to help around the aquarium today.” Tzuyu smiled as she saw the shock on Mina’s face.

 

Mina was speechless. She looked perplexed as she saw the three women in front of her all grinning with immense happiness. “I- I’m gonna what?” was all that she was able to stutter out.

 

Tzuyu chuckled to herself, she turned to Dahyun. “This is an even better reaction than what I imagined it was going to be.”

 

Dahyun joined in the laughter. “I haven't seen Mina this speechless in ages.”

 

Tzuyu turned back to face Mina. “I said my name is Tzuyu, I'm the vet here at the Sea Life Centre Busan and today you are going to be helping me out around the aquarium.”

 

Mina started to pinch herself. ‘This must be a dream, this isn’t real.’  

 

“Mina!” a voice snapped Mina back into reality. “Stop pinching yourself before you hurt yourself.” Chaeyoung said.

 

“Come on, let’s go!” Dahyun exclaimed as she dragged Mina from the car as the quartet made their way towards the entrance of the aquarium.

 

Since Chaeyoung, Dahyun and Mina were at the aquarium before the opening time, they were given a guided tour by Tzuyu. Going section by section, Mina gasped multiple times at all the variety of fish and mammals that were on display at the attraction.

 

“And last but not least, we arrive at the Penguin exhibition.” Tzuyu stretched out her arm behind her and watched Mina’s face come alive with awe.

 

“Look at all the penguins!” Mina's gaze softened as she approached the glass. Watching them studiously as the penguins dived off the fake ice and started gliding through the water with elegance and ease, Mina beamed and did a tiny waddle in place, mimicking their movements. Dahyun and Chaeyoung watched from afar and smiled. Tzuyu tilted her head to the side: she had never seen someone so excited to see the penguins, and the tiny waddle was too adorable for words.

 

'She's cute.'

 

A couple of minutes passed before Dahyun and Chaeyoung turned to Tzuyu. "I think now is the time for us to say goodbye for the day!" Chaeyoung said, and Dahyun nodded once. "Thank you so much for doing this, Tzuyu."

 

Tzuyu bowed her head and smiled broadly as Mina turned around. "You leaving?"

 

"Of course, this is your birthday present from us!" Mina felt a tiny blush hit her cheeks as she wandered up to the two women and hugged them, thanking them both.

 

"Don't mention it, Minari," Dahyun grinned, then her eyes widened. "Wait! The bag!"

 

Pulling away, Mina knitted her eyebrows together, "Yeah, what's in the bag?"

 

"…" Chaeyoung looked up at Tzuyu. "Can I…?"

 

"I'll walk with you back to the entrance and allow you back in," she chuckled before the two of them began walking away from the exhibit rather quickly, leaving Dahyun and Mina to admire the penguins for a little while until they came back.

 

The duo looking at the exhibit turned to see Chaeyoung and Tzuyu walking down the hallway, the former smiling from ear to ear as she held the bag up to show Mina. She stopped and pulled out of the bag a penguin onesie, to which Mina chuckled, her eyes gleaming. "No way," she said, taking the onesie from Chaeyoung and holding it up to take a closer look at it. "Thank you so much."

 

Dahyun and Chaeyoung stood shoulder to shoulder. "You're welcome, Minari," Dahyun smiled. "Now go on! Put it on!"

 

A look of shock appeared on Mina's face, "What?"

 

"The onesie! You can wear it over your work clothes, right?" Chaeyoung asked, turning to Tzuyu, almost asking for permission. Tzuyu nodded in a way that said, if she wants to. Mina stared at the penguin onesie before searching for the nearest bathroom.

 

"Oh, there's one over there," Tzuyu directed her, and Mina bowed, thanking her before disappearing into the bathroom. She went into one of the cubicles and put on the onesie, before stepping out and staring at herself in the mirror.

 

Chuckling, she thought, 'This is so silly, but screw it, it's my birthday and it's a cute onesie!' Nodding once, she opened the door and began waddling out, making the trio laugh. Mina joined in, and Tzuyu tried to suppress her laughter as she eyed the floor, her cheeks going red.

 

'She's so cute.'

 

Mina briefly looked over at Tzuyu and they met eyes. The birthday girl blushed as she looked away. "Wow," Dahyun spoke, "you look incredible."

 

"Truly amazing," Chaeyoung agreed. Mina thanked the couple before they hugged. They bid one another goodbye and Dahyun and Chaeyoung waved before continuing to walk through the aquarium hand in hand, looking back and forth at the animals until they reached the exit.

 

Mina and Tzuyu were left standing a little awkwardly, before Tzuyu suddenly said, "You look adorable." Mina giggled as she walked up to Tzuyu, looking down at her outfit every so often, remembering that she was wearing a penguin onesie. Tzuyu gazed at her for a few seconds.

 

'She's too cute.'

 

"Um, shall we go and meet the person who you'll be helping out today?"

 

Mina glanced up. Blinked. She seemed a little disappointed that it wasn't going to be Tzuyu. "Is it not you?"

 

"Oh! No, I do work here, but not in this part of the aquarium." The pair began walking as Tzuyu explained, "You'll be helping out a woman named Jeongyeon. She's really kind and really friendly. And with the aquarium opening to the public soon, you'll be helping h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter