First Love

First Love

“Hey, Heechul hyung… why don’t you try to be quiet?” Hangeng calmly asked his older roommate. “Sshh! Can’t you see I’m talking to someone? Just shut up there!” Heechul whisper then continue his business on the telephone.

 

“How did I end up staying with this guy?” he secretly thought and just let out a deep sigh to help him take out his irritations. Hangeng waited for more than half an hour before the self- renounce lover boy bid goodbye to his newest target. He felt peaceful as the older man went to the bathroom to take a bath so he went back in arranging some files on the laptop his superior asked him to finish. “Half way done! I can take a rest now, finally”, he quietly murmured until his roommate come out from the bathroom.

 

“Hey! Job again?” Heechul cheerfully asked continuously checking his face on the mirror. “I don’t have anything to do, hyung”, he replied still focused on his work.

 

Heechul walked near him then tap his shoulder, “There are so many things to do out there Geng.”

 

“Like what? Flirting with girls?”

 

“Flirting is not the word Geng, it’s showing my love. You know, you should take a break. Why don’t you come with me?”

 

“Where?”

 

“We will have a boy’s night out… come on! Work can make you haggard.”

 

Heechul pulled Hangeng outside then drive their way to a city- known club. He was forced to go outside because of the girls seductively looking at him making him shivers all over. While inside the club, Heechul noticed that his roommate was gone so he searched until finally decided to go out.

 

“Hey, what are you doing there?” Heechul asked when he saw his friend inside the car. “Let’s just go somewhere Heechul hyung… I… I’m not comfortable inside”, Hangeng honestly replied. “Aish! Okay… where do you want us to go?” the older man asked in annoyance. “No need hyung… I don’t want to disturb your showing of love habit so I will just go home”, he kindly asked.

 

“If that’s what you want then go. Take the car, too…”

 

“No need… I will take a bus.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes I am.”

Hangeng went down the car after giving his hyung the car keys then rode the bus waiting for him. He sat on the bus’ end seat until he noticed that the girl beside him was crying because of her soft sobs.

 

“Are you okay, miss?” he softly asked trying not to scare her.

 

The girl didn’t mind him until she went down the bus making Hangeng smile, “I never knew I would be as curious as this to see a certain girl’s face. Uh! Hangeng, you’re just wondering because she did not let you see her face… that’s all!”

 

 

 

“Good morning!”

 

“How was your boy’s night out last night, Heechul hyung?” Hangeng sit down to sip on his cup of hot coffee. “Well… I’m a bit disappointed that girls did not even dare to approach me but I met some friends and we will go out this night. Do you want to join?” Heechul invited in between bites.

 

“I can’t hyung… its weekdays and I have…”

 

“I know… jobs to do”, Heechul finished.

 

“Yes that’s right. By the way Heechul hyung, about last night…”

 

“It’s okay Geng. I know you’re really not that kind of a party- goer.”

 

“Thank you Heechul hyung… bye!” Hangeng get his work bag then hurriedly made his way out the apartment. He rode a bus but it was sandwich in a major traffic jam, “I can’t be late”, he irritably whispered.

 

“What happened?” a medium- sized guy with his attractive but irritated small face asked him.

 

“I don’t know”, he replied.

 

“There was an accident in the intersection area and I think it will take too long before they fix it”, a tall and slim guy with a fashionista look stated.

 

Hangeng was shocked. He doesn’t want to see another bad happening like that which also caused his parents to die leaving him alone forever in his life. His eyes start to water so he decided to go down and just walk to their building since it can be already seen from his position. “I must forget that”, he calmed himself and do his greatest effort to pull his tears inwards. He continues his fast walk until he spots a certain view which petrified him on his position. It was simple girl wearing a plain diamond headband letting her long, brownish and straight hair play with the air with her white and elegnt cocktail dress which suits her charming and innocent facial features. She was walking a safe distance away from him and he can’t explain why but his feet suddenly move to follow her not minding the time and the busy people roaming between them. Hangeng run when he lost sight on her making him look around repeatedly though he still hope that she will walk in front of  him again. He just gave up when he received a message alert from his supervisor.

 

 

 

“Bro!” a guy called him.

 

A masculine guy hardly taps Hangeng on his shoulder when he heard no response after repeating it for three times.

 

“What are you thinking?”

 

“Won… you’re there!” he said obviously distracted.

 

“10 minutes ago. Why are you late for the first time ever? Huh, Mr. Workaholic?”

 

“… nothing…”

 

“Bro, I met this very special girl in my life yesterday. Well, we’re together again… I told you she will come back.”

 

“That’s good.”

 

“Hangeng… I think you should really take a rest. You will not forget that accident even how many years you buried yourself in work. I know you don’t believe in love but… try to find the girl who can understand you, that helps a lot.”

 

“Love… I’m okay Choi Siwon and I don’t need to rest.”

 

“If that’s what you think but take my word… I promise it will help.”

 

Siwon went back to his office leaving Hangeng back on his own world again. His mind and thoughts were all clouded by the image of the girl he saw that he cannot focus on a single work though he never really tried to do one.

 

“Maybe I should really take a rest now… Hangeng, you don’t believe in love and that includes love at sight so that girl… that very beautiful girl was just a mere imagination.” he said as he continues writing his letter of absence. After a few hours, his supervisor eventhough in a state of pure shock approved his one week leave. That was obviously his first time ever to act like that though he knew deep inside that its because of that girl, he still don’t want to admit it. He again went back to that place then sits on a metal bench and examines every girl who passes his way.

 

 

 

“Noona… aren’t we going home?” a tall guy with a broad shoulder asked.

 

“You can go home on your own Kyuhyun.” the girl with a diamond headband and wearing a white elegant cocktail dress irritably answer.

“You’re not going to see that Donghae again… I bet on that noona!” Kyuhyun teasingly said.

 

“Will you shut up? I’m not searching for a guy…” her words were cut by her brother’s another bullying strike, “That’s right noona! Make that Donghae regret his choice of leaving you.”

 

“Uh? What are you saying?! I hate him and for your information, I’m finding that guy because he had my handkerchief”, she said riding on another bus.

 

Kyuhyun followed and sit beside his noona, “Handkerchief? Uh… the one that Donghae gave you?”

 

She nods.

 

“I thought you hate him? But why are you finding that handkerchief?”

 

“That’s my favorite… I’m comfortable using that and… I just don’t want to lose that, okay? Now, keep silent and just follow me!” she commanded trying to touch the younger’s hair but the latter manage to stop her.

 

 

 

Hangeng helplessly walk his way home from the street which made him act weirdly. He don’t want to ride a bus because he thinks that he might crossed path with that girl again, “Why am I like this?” he asked himself, “I want to see that girl and when I saw her, I wish that she’s already married or in a relationship so I can be back on my old self.”

 

 

 

“Wait! I think that’s him!” she loudly announced.

 

“I thought you didn’t saw his face? How come you knew that that was him? You’re slowly becoming delusional noona”, he replied in a teasing tone.

 

“I knew by his bag… I made that!”

 

“Are you sure? Maybe that’s not him… he looked… wait!”

 

Kyuhyun followed his noona as it swiftly run down the bus. They easily approach the tall guy wearing decent office attire because he walks too slowly.

 

“Sir! Excuse me… uhm, do you… have you seen a white handkerchief with a “Donghae and Jaja” print?” the girl shyly asked.

 

The guy surprisely looks at her and was stunned for a moment before the girl taps his shoulder, “Sir?”

 

“Uh? Sorry… I will check on it.”

 

They went on a bench as the guy search the handkerchief on his bag and after a few minutes, he saw it then give it to her making the girl hug him in happiness.

 

“Ehem…” Kyuhyun interrupted.

 

“Sorry…” the girl broke the hug leaving the guy mesmerized, “Thank you for bringing this back… super thank you! By the way, I’m Cho Jaja and you’re?”

 

“Han… Hangeng…” he nervously replied.

 

“Oohh… you’re a Chinese?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Nice to meet you Hangeng and… thank you again.”

 

“You’re welcome Jaja… nice to meet you too.”

 

“Bye!”

 

Jaja drag her bored brother while Hangeng was left behind as he still can’t believe that the one he was finding found him, unexpectedly. Her beauty, way of speaking, cheerful and shy attitude made him finally admits to himself that he’s falling in love with her. Jaja and Kyuhyun rode a bus until the younger noticed his sister’s weird smiling as the latter stare at the handkerchief but on the plain side not on the printed one.

 

“Hey! Already insane?” he sarcastically asked distracting his sister.

 

“Isn’t he cute?” she replied still on her own world.

 

“Who? The Hangeng guy?”

 

Jaja nod and stay on her own world while her brother didn’t mind her.

 

 

 

The other morning, Hangeng woke up early and prepare himself before going to the street to wait for his unexpected love. He waited for a few hours but all of it was worth it when suddenly the same cheerful girl offered him a lollipop.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“What are you doing here, Hangeng oppa?”

 

“Me? Uhm… I’m just… hanging around…”

 

“Ooh… okay. How old are you? Where do you live? And… uhm… you’re working on a office here somewhere?”

 

Hangeng can’t believe on what he hears, she’s more talkative but entertaining that he thought but he grab the opportunity  to know her more that just her name.

 

“I’m 28 years old. I live at the apartment bus away from here and I’m an office worker but I filed my one week leave yesterday…”

 

“Why?”

 

“Uhm… I just never had one.”

 

“Workaholic… actually that was the reason why… my boyfriend break up with me. Back on our topic! Do you like Korea?” her mood turned sad then suddenly turned cheerful making her more unique and special.

 

“Yes… I like it a lot. The truth is I was born here and never had the chance to go and see China for once but its okay because I’m happy here.”

 

“That’s great! Well, I know I’ve asked too much and I should also introduce myself. I’m Cho Jaja, 24 years of age and I’m a designer especially in bags… I made the one you had yesterday night.”

 

“You made that?”

 

“Shameful but yes. I think you liked it, right?”

 

“It has a sentimental value for me because that was the last gift that I received from my parents before they passed away.”

 

“… I’m sorry I didn’t mean to…”

 

“It’s okay! I’ve already moved on from it… the guy yesterday, is he your brother?”

 

Hangeng was shocked on the question that come out from his mouth so he took another glance at her wishing that she will not mind him asking and that they only share kin not love relationship.

 

“Aah… the guy… he’s my younger brother Cho Kyuhyun. He works at the Sapphire Blue Primeholdings, Inc., if ever that company exists.”

 

“Okay… I think he’s nice…”

 

“That’s what you think! That man is so irritating… by the way he speaks, stare and smile. Sorry, am I too loud?”

 

“No, actually it’s cute…”

 

Jaja was surprised making her look at him. She finally catch his eyes as he look at her and for the first time they stare at each other’s glistening eyes while an increasing number of butterflies flew on their stomach. They were just distracted when Hangeng suddenly remembered the girl that he saw crying on the bus last few days.

 

“You’re the crying girl I saw on the bus…”, he was stopped because Jaja immediately answer him, “Yes… that’s me.”

 

Hangeng almost drop his phone when he heard her quick response, deeply thinking to himself how playful the destiny must been to do this to him who never believed that true love do really exist in this unfair and boring world.

 

“Is it okay if I ask why you cried?” he nervously asked.

 

“Were already friends now, right? And if I tell you that we will be close friends.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Don’t you want to?”

 

“It’s not like that but isn’t it too fast? We just meet and knew each other today although… okay we are close friends now.”

 

“Okay then I will tell you why I am crying that time. It was all because of my boyfriend Donghae. He broke up with me on that bus because I didn’t have time to spent and take care of him… I was hurt that time until you ride and ask me why I’m crying… that’s the moment I realized that it was also my fault because I only focused myself on my job and took him for granted but I know that he did the good thing to make me realize all my mistakes…”, she stopped when she felt tears fall down from her charming eyes. She started sobbing and as a man, Hangeng give her a friendly hug to comfort her, “Some things really happen like that, some can make us smile, cry and anger but it teaches us only one thing after overcoming all of that and that is to bloom into a much more better person that what we were yesterday.”

 

 

 

Hangeng spent his six days like that and as days passed by, they grew much closer to each other and became true bestfriends. Hangeng told Jaja all about him and she also do the same to him. They spent most of their time exchanging thoughts about anything they want to talk about and it always shock them because they always had the same thoughts. The last day of his vacation came and he decided that he would make it special for himself. He quickly walk his way to their meeting place which is at the same street and bench but to his surprise, Jaja was already there, patiently waiting for him. She saw him asking her stand up then pulled him to ride a bus.

 

“Where are we going?” he asked curiously.

 

“Just follow me.” she demanded.

 

Hangeng do as was told and just sit down as he examine as Jaja still on her cheerful attitude seems so fidget that she keeps looking at her wristwatch.

 

“Are you okay?” he worriedly asked.

 

“Jaja looked at him obviously surprised then nos. Hangeng could really feel something is wrong because Jaja didn’t tell any stories to him like what he used to do the last 6 days until she stand up then pulled Hangeng down the bus and entered the seaside bay. It was so beautiful since it was the rising of the sun, its radiant rays reflected through the blue sea and the sound of the waves and cool breeze synchronized as it reach their ears.

 

“Can we always stay here? Look at the sea… its so cute, right?” Jaja asked admiring the scenery.

 

“This is the last day of my leave Jaja… but of course… whenever I have time.” Hangeng answered admiring her beauty.

 

Jaja tilted her head to look at him then hold his hand making him stunned, “Ja…”

 

“Don’t speak! I just want to thank you because you helped me forget the guy I loved so much.”

 

Hangeng could feel her sadness because of the break- up that she was hiding enough to make her act cheerful despite her broken heart. He want to control the moment so he hugged her wishing she won’t feel his fast heartbeat, “I know you’re hurt but never forget that I’m always here… loving and protecting you and I’m ready to wait for you to heal.”

 

“ I hope you do oppa. I want to remember the day we met… it was so special form e. I’m flattered that I’ve changed your personal view on love, being your first love was the thing I will always hold on to. I like you Hangeng oppa.” Jaja smile then kiss Hangeng’s cheek then stay hugging each other before they went back to their busy work world.

 

 

 

“Now, what’s with those tears?” Kyuhyun asked half worried and teasing.

 

Jaja wipe her tears then face her brother as the latter give her a photo album, “Omma wants you to have this… noona take care out there, okay?”

 

“I will… always. Take care of yourself also and just tell Hangeng oppa where I went… thank you!” Jaja went to hug her brother then get her valise which she personally made for herself. She went out their house with a heavy heart but still continue her way out.

 

 

 

“Hello… you’re Jaja’s younger brother, right?” Hangeng asked when he saw the younger sitting on the same bench they always sit down.

 

“Yes… that’s me.”

 

“Nice to meet you! Where’s your noona?”

 

Kyuhyun look at him and didn’t answer for awhile until, “She went away.”

 

Hangeng was surprised… now he understands why she acted like that the last time the two of them met, “Why?” the only thing he could say.

 

“She had a job opportunity there and to also clear some things on her mind but… she wants you to know that she will come back when she’s already healed.”

 

“Did she tell you to tell this to me?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Where did she go?”

 

“I can’t tell you right now but I’m sure she’s okay there.” Kyuhyun immediately walked away leaving Hangeng like a lifeless statue sitting on a bench, “She left….”

 

 

 

Two years passed, Hangeng went back to his workaholic self but never forgot to went to their place hoping that he will see her sitting on the bench smiling brightly at him again. Monday, Hangeng went up early and do his daily routine until he was again sandwich on a major traffic jam so he decided to go down the bus and just felt relief when he realized that he was standing on the place he first met Jaja. The people went around passing on Hangeng until a missed view catch his eyes, “Jaja?” He walked forward then grabs the girl on his arms while the girl just smiled.

 

“You missed me?”

 

“No… I missed you so much!”

 

They broke the hug then went and sit down on their favorite bench.

 

“Where did you go?”

 

“Did Cho Kyuhyun tell you everything?!”

 

“I just need the exact location.”

 

“Okay… I went to Australia.”

 

“You asked help to the kangaroos there?”

 

“Yes… they helped a lot! They told me I should go home immediately because my special close friend might marry his job.”

 

Jaja gave Hangeng a childish smile which suddenly turned into a serious glare, “You’re not still married with them, right?”

 

“I’m so sorry but I’m already committed.”

 

“Mwo? To whom? Yah! You told me that you will wait until…” Jaja was stopped when she felt a gentle and sincere lips touch hers.

 

“I’m committed to you.”

 

“That was my first kiss!”

 

“Better, for you stole my first love.” Hangeng replied.

 

“So… were a couple now?” she confidently asked.

 

“That should happen two years ago if you didn’t leave.”

 

“I’m sorry… but atleast I’m healed now and I come back for you.”

 

Hangeng covered her in his arms.

 

“No promises?” she teasingly asked.

 

“I don’t need to, do I?”

 

They laugh together and treasure their moments together.