Stuck With You

Stuck With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NEWS BREAK playing on television

// -because of the fast-spreading Corona Virus or what we call COVID-19, the President ordered a total lockdown, advising every citizen to cooperate and stay inside their home, to effectively contain the spread of the corona disease //

 

“Seulgi-ah the food is ready, come and eat with me" Mrs. Kang softly called her daughter as she placed the bowls of ramen for them to eat.

 

Seulgi, who is busy fixing her poorly ironed button up, brushing her long blonde hair, getting ready for work, took a second to look at herself in the mirror with a complete poker face thinking how will she get through the day.

She is very much aware that it will be very hard for her to go to work since there will be limited public transportation available in the city.

 

She then at least forced a smile and motivate herself with “I can do this, I have to do this" and made her way to the living area

 

NEWS BREAK playing on television

// The public is advised not to leave their houses; workers must provide their company ID in order to pass through the checkpoints set by the authority. Anyone who fails to cooperate shall be arrested by the authority even without warrant-- //

 

“Tsk. What a stupid government” says Mrs. Kang as she slurps her bowl of ramen. “Are you sure that you’re still going to work Seulgi-ah?”

 

Seulgi took a sit beside her mother. “I have no choice mom, we don’t have anything but ramen. We need money, we need food” then grabbed her chopsticks and began savoring the ramen that they call lunch.

 

“I’m sorry that you have to go through all of this my dear" with so much disappointment, she gently grabbed Seulgi’s hand and squeezed it as to apologize, thinking that it’s her fault

 

“Yah, mom..” The blonde chuckled as she cupped her mother’s cheek with warm smile “Don’t worry about me, when I come back, I will buy the whole grocery store for you, so that you can cook whatever you want and we can eat whatever we want”

 

Mrs. Kang laugh at her daughter’s silliness, continuing to share a laugh as they enjoy their meal. Despite the unlimited number of bills and debts, Seulgi can still manage to joke around and make her mother smile.

 

 

The scene in the city is very unusual, there are a lot of checkpoints everywhere, inspecting every vehicle, lot of police officers roaming around, checking the temperature of every citizen who passes by

 

“What a ing clown" she scoffs and chuckled rather bitterly as she observes how the police officers use thermometers that is supposed to be used for mechanical works only.

 

She inhaled the remaining cigarette laying comfortably in those long and slender fingers of hers, like where they are supposed to be, letting the nicotine cloud her entire system. She slowly blows the smoke out of with a sigh and threw the cigarette in the trashcan.

When did she get addicted by cigarettes? She doesn’t know, she lost track of it. All she knows is that her headache went away that she didn’t even knew she had. It was relaxing – clarifying.

 

 

The pile of papers hits the office desk with a loud thud, surprising Seulgi who is busy rummaging through the leaning tower of paperwork already present in her table.

 

“Finish all of these, by the end of the day" The manager obliges her rather than asking her

 

The sitting blonde looked up to where the sound came from. Much to her dismay, it is Irene who is currently standing in front of her with crossed arms. She instantly draws her attention to the pile of paperwork

 

She couldn’t stand the sight of her

 

“What?! How am I supposed to do all of these?” Seulgi’s eyebrows automatically creased, as she takes a look to the additional files, confused by the sudden addition of work load.

 

“Is that my problem Ms. Kang?” Irene raised an eyebrow as she lowers herself, bringing her face closer to Seulgi’s to catch the latter’s attention

 “If you should have been more responsible of managing your time, instead of wasting it to your ‘cigarette sesh', then I guess you won’t be late for work almost every day Ms. Kang"

 

The blonde suddenly gasps for air as she hits the backrest of the cheap leather of her swivel chair. Because how can she breathe if Irene is dangerously close to her, only a few inches away. She brought her palm to her chest as her heart gone wild, pounding and pounding, like it was about to burst out anytime soon.

She didn’t mind it back then when Irene is this close to hers, but instead she loves it, she longs for it. But this time it is different, everything is different

It’s not easy to work with your ex, especially when she is your boss. Working at the same field may be wonderful at first, but when love is replaced by hate, every day is a nightmare.

 

“So I’m going to ask you again, Ms. Kang" never breaking the eye contact, Irene leaned closer than they already are “IS. THAT. MY. PROBLEM?” asking again, emphasizing each word

 

“N-no Ma'am" the sitting girl stuttered, wishing this one hell of a torture to be over already.

 

When did they start addressing each other formally? She doesn’t know, she lost track of it.

She lost track of everything when they broke up. She lost track of her health, she lost track of time, she lost track of herself.

 

“Very well,” the manager retreated, still with crossed arms “I want it in my office by the end of the day" smirking as she descends through the busy hallway

 

“As far as I know you’re only doing this to get a revenge, Bae" She muttered to herself, a bit bitter by the surname, as she glares to the descending manager

 

Frustration and irritation building up as she forced herself to continue her work, she could only sigh at the moment because how can she possibly refuse? She’s just a regular employee.

 

 

The time flies faster than the speed of lightning, or what Seulgi believed because there she is, still doing all the paperwork, feeling drained and thirsty. The tiredness is visible all over her, from the drowsy half closed eyes, to the pale and chapped lips.

 

She noticed that it is already dark outside. Half of the team already went home, finished with their assigned tasks.

 

“Are you really finishing that? You know it’s hard to commute at this time" Sooyoung worriedly asked

 

“Yeah I know, but Irene-sunbaenim told me to finish all of these before I go home" Seulgi could only sigh

 

“Hmm, why does she always make you do the hard work? It’s like she’s dead mad at you or something,”

 

Sooyoung doesn’t know, everybody in their office doesn’t know. The blonde will just be randomly called to the manager's office, with the blinds purposely shut. The entire team has no clue of what’s going inside, little did they know that the two always secretly makes out, and sometimes even more.

 

“Anyways, I’m gonna go home now Seul, good luck with that" They both exchanged smiles and goodbyes.

 

The blonde extended her arms up in the air, stretching every sore muscles, revealing a tiny part of her abs. She’s not even doing it on purpose, it’s just because of the knitted cropped button up that she’s wearing.

 

Her clothes are to blame

 

And this doesn’t go unnoticed by the manager, peeking through the glass wall of her office like a tiger stalking its prey.

 

 

// 10:06pm //

 

“WHOO! FINALLY!” Seulgi cheerfully exclaimed, tiredness long forgotten as she happily arrange the pile of already finished paperwork. “IN YOUR FACE YOU STUPID... P-pieces of paper! Ha!”

 

She looked at her surroundings and noticed that she’s the only one left. Everything is dark except the light from her computer and desk lamp, the hallways, and “the manager’s office?”

She thought to herself that maybe Irene left it on purpose, after all she’s the one who asked Seulgi to place the finished paperwork in her office.

 

Seulgi made her way to the said office with the files on her hand. She was shocked when she saw a figure, and almost thought that it was a ghost. She was more surprised when she realized that it was Irene, with her head resting comfortably above her table, sleeping peacefully.

The blonde likes to fool herself when she saw Irene’s laptop, with ‘Minesweeper’ displayed on the laptop’s monitor, long forgotten by the sleeping player.

Was she waiting for her? Seulgi doesn’t know.

 

She purposely retreated from where she’s standing, and made loud footsteps for the sleeping manager to hear. And it did work, as she sees Irene panicking to fix her hair and blouse, grabbing the laptop as if she’s working onto something.

 

Seulgi would be lying if she denies that she finds it cute whenever Irene panics. It melts her heart in the right places.

She miss her. Seulgi misses her.

But then she will remember why they can’t be how they used to be. If Irene haven’t broken her heart, maybe things will be like they were before.

 

“Here are the files you asked Ma’am, complete, and arranged alphabetically” she gently explained and placed it to empty space beside Irene’s laptop.

 

She sees Irene looked up to her, as if she will be scolded or will be asked to get something for her, but then she was surprised again when the manager replied with a mere “Thank you, you may now go home" the latter reverted her gaze back to her laptop

 

Seulgi looked at her for a little while, thinking if she should advise Irene to go home as well. ‘No, just go’ she told herself and made her way to the glass door. But then her body and mind just couldn’t get along, because the words smoothly came out of before she even realize.

 

“How about you? Aren’t you going home yet?”

 

“I will, I’m just finishing some…” lost for words as she pretends to do something in her laptop “s-stuff”

 

“Umm, okay then. Goodbye Irene-sunbaenim" Seulgi ended and quickly made her way out, heart beating too fast for her liking

 

‘Ugh what’s wrong with you Kang. Tsk' she muttered to herself as she grumpily entered the elevator door.

 

 

“Whaat? You’re stranded?”

 

“Yeah Seungwan. I didn’t know that the government suspended all the public transpo. There is no available bus or cab at the moment, and even if I do get a cab, the police won’t let me get through the checkpoint" Seulgi sighed, with her phone in the left hand, and a cigarette in the right hand as she waits at the bus stop.

 

“I just got off from work, Irene made me do a lot of paperwork. I just saw the news” She exclaimed as she inhaled the freshly lit cigarette “They should’ve made sure that all the people here in Seoul got home safely! They didn’t even warn the public, my god"

 

“Yah, that ex of yours is too much, why does she have to be so bitter? It’s almost a year since you two broke up. Anyways, I would be happy to help you and let you stay in my apartment there, but I am out of town and my keys are with me. I will try to contact my neig-"

 

“H-hello? Seungwan? Are you still there? Hello!” Seulgi didn’t know why the line got disconnected until she gets a full view of her deadbatt phone.

 

“! Could this day get any better?” puffing the cigarette again waiting for something to happen

 

But then maybe the odds chose to be with her as a familiar car stopped in front of her making her throw the cigarette she’s currently engaged with, hiding it in the process by stepping on it.

She doesn’t have to do that, not anymore.

Does she still consider what Irene may think?

Does she still consider what Irene may say?

She doesn’t know, Seulgi doesn’t know. All she knows is that like a programmed machine, her body automatically responds that way whenever Irene is near. Maybe a part of her still considers Irene’s feelings toward her bad habit.

 

She just stands there wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter