Chapter 2

The Bird of Happiness Flew By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Here we are!”

Junho pushes the truck door open and alight. Before him stood a modest 2-floor cottage. From the wide-open entrance, he could see a general store setup on the first level; the topmost level must be living quarters then. The house may look old but the owner has given it some serious TLC. Dark green shutters and door stood open, letting in the breeze unabashedly. A wind chime made with seashells hung at the entrance, pealing gently as the breeze it playfully. On the outer ledge of the second floor windows sat full of potted flowers of every imaginable color. And on the red clay roof tiles a copper wind vane in the shape of an ambiguous bird dances in the wind.

It’s so peaceful.

Not only has the house, the whole village given off such strong peaceful vibes. The ancient streets and rustic buildings are the embodiment of time stand still. Nothing is in a rush.

Junho took a deep breath. There is the salty scent of the sea in the air, and the clean wisps of pine forest in the air too. How uplifiting it feels for his tired soul!

“Taecyeon-hyung! I brought him! Taecyeon-hyung!” Chansung calls at the top of his voice as he enters the cottage carrying Junho’s backpack. The wind chime tinkle as if to announce a guest’s arrival.

Junho observes the interior of the store. The décor is simple and practical, clean and uncluttered. Seems like this Taecyeon person is the owner of the store. But why did he send someone to welcome him?

The cottage is quite small; Junho can distinctively hear Chansung’s shouting in every corner before returning to his side at the foyer of the store.

“Looks like Taecyeon-hyung have to attend to some urgent matters.” Chansung explains while his large eyes search between the shelves as if the missing man will somehow pop out from within. “Something must have happened for him to leave in such a hurry.”

“Something happened?”

“Let me tell you, Taecyeon-hyung is very popular in this village! He is always helping with this and that. Even though he looks way too fierce most of the time, I’m sure you two will get along just fine.”

Get along? What?

“Oh no! My rest hour is up! I need to get back to class! I left your backpack in your room upstairs, you can just wait for Taecyeon-hyung here. He won’t be long, I’m sure. I’ll come back and visit you later! Bye!”

Chansung ran off as soon as he finishes his monologue without waiting for Junho’s response. Within a few seconds, the lone man hears the truck outside starts up and drove off. Thick silence settles again around Junho, cocooning him like a warm blanket. He stood at the door looking out for a while, hesitates for another while then finds a wicket stool to sit down by the door and wait for the owner to return.

 

That short wait stretches into a whole afternoon. To make things worse, random villagers wander in to make their purchases. In the beginning , Junho could only stared as customers heap their purchases before him waiting to pay. No matter how he tries to explain, they simply would not accept that he is just a clueless guest. By the end of the hectic hour, he found himself dashing around the store looking for items the customers are asking for and ringing up purchases like a true professional.

For this unfortunate predicament that he is forced into, Junho could not help secretly cussing at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter