Chapter I

Gift of Life

I was working on a project when suddenly my phone rang

--UNKNOWN NUMBER--

I ignored it, of course. The caller gave up after a few rings, then silent. A few seconds later my phone rang again

--UNKNOWN NUMBER--

It’s the same number. I know because I have this habit of memorising unknown numbers in case it’s important.

I became a bit suspicious but still ignored it.

They’ll call again if it’s important. I always think that if it’s an important call, they’ll call at least three times.

The ringing stops. When I thought I finally had my peace and quiet, it rang again but this time I answered it thinking it must be important.

“Hello, Taeyeon Kim speaking,” I answered politely with a not-so-good english. Don’t want to be rude if it’s actually the president calling me. My english is actually not that bad, at least it’s enough for me to study abroad.

“What took you so long?!” the caller whined in fluent english. Now this is a surprise.

“What do you expect? This is an unknown number. What happened to your phone?”

“I forgot it at home. I was running late,”

“Whose phone are you using?”

“The immigrant officer’s. I need you to pick me up right now,”

“I beg your pardon?”

“I’m at Soetta Airport, still with the immigrant officer,”

“Are your managers not with you?”

“No, I left them back home,”

Sigh… I know it’s useless asking more over the phone.

“I’ll be there in an hour. Stay with the officer,”

“Can’t you come faster? I’m starving and I want to eat with you. I haven’t eaten anything since last night. Before you ask, no I can’t buy it myself, I left my card too,”

Aish this girl… When will she NOT give me a headache. But looking at the time, it is almost lunch time.

“Okay, I’ll try being there within 30 minutes.”

“Thanks Tae. Drive fast but drive safe, love you,”

“Love you too, stay safe Sica,”

With that I grab my keys and drive off to the airport.