Final

face to face
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minji was always shy of her eyes. At the age of five, she didn't understand why her parents and ordinary passers-by looked at her as if she was the weirdest thing in the world. But, when time came, her own reflection in the mirror somehow seemed shameful to her.

 

She acted freely on the streets, but she didn't stop fixing a cap: her eyes attracted too much attention. Their colors, to be exact. Of course, people didn't run to her to look carefully, but they never forgot to point their fingers at her. Judge for yourself, who the hell would have blue eyes in Korea? And no matter how often she used lenses with a deep brown (her natural color) shade, she couldn't hide the sky blue of her right eye.

 

At the age of nineteen, she first had a crush. It was a guy from a successful college music band. She was young and foolish, just like half the girls of the corpus. She chanted his name louder than anyone in the crowd, hoping that attachment to her soulmate would vanish on its own. But this didn't happen. Even when they accidentally bumped into each other at the gate and Minji decided to take a chance to confess, she felt a burning pain in the right eye. It knocked the air out of her lungs. The girl just murmured a goodbye over her shoulder and ran away, crying and cursing the ing soulmate thing. She'd already known her life wasn't going to be calm. 

 

                                          ///

 

Minji met her twenty sixth birthday with a glass of vine and some stupid tv show. Her parents have gone to the USA to visit other relatives, giving her birthday wishes by a video call. She didn't complain. Moreover, she didn't want to go out. Well, she would bear with Bora, her best friend and concurrently the loudest girl in the Galaxy, if she came with her girlfriend, Siyeon, and Minji's favorite food from a restaurant at the corner. 

 

She wasn't envy. Maybe a little bit. Minji adored the dorky girls with her entire heart. They always were ready to listen and help if she needed, which she was very grateful for. It's just something unpleasantly stabbed her under the ribs while she was watching them, kissing or cooing. Over all the years, meeting millions of people on her way, Minji's still not found the one that was destined for her. And she gave up, accepting the possibility of being alone for the rest of her life, accepting that rooting pain. 

 

Soulmates don't always find each other, do they?

 

                                          /// 

 

After a Saturday shift, she finally went to a nearby park. The sun was going down, disappearing between scarlet clouds. Noises around were typical for a huge metropolis in such a late hour. Even so, Minji liked silence. Likely because it's been one of her first listeners these months. 

 

T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter