Final

You Shouldn't Love Me (Oneshot)

 

Dara pushed the cart around the school library and put the books back in their proper places. Every Friday, Dara stays after school to help out the librarian with organizing the books that students had borrowed throughout the week. Truthfully, she would much rather do this than go to the mall with her friends or go on dates with guys who beg her to go out with them as she is the most popular girl in school. Dara is not only beautiful, but smart, talented and a very kind person. Dara hates it when girls follow her around, act like her and dress like her because she believes that they are all unique in their own way, so they should just be themselves. She is also known around the school for rejecting every guy who tries to ask her out. It's not that she has high standards, it's just that she knows that they only like her because she's pretty and not because of how she is as a person. Dara once tried going out with a guy from her school and it ended horribly. He tried to kiss her and force himself on her even though she said no multiple times. She ended up kicking him in the crotch and taking the bus home. From then on, she made a promise to herself that she wouldn't date until she was out of high school. 

After putting the last book on the shelf, she said goodbye to the librarian and headed out. She walked down the hallway and greeted all of the teachers who were still there. When she got to the front doors, she was about to go out when she heard someone curse. 

". Ah ."

Dara looked around for the source and found a guy sitting on the floor with his hands on his head.

"Hey, are you okay?" Dara asked. The guy looked up and gave her a weak smile.

"Yeah, I'm good," he replied, but Dara thought otherwise.

"You don't look so good. Do you want me to call the nurse? I think she's still--"

"I said I'm fine. I don't need your help," he growled. Dara could only nod because his sudden outburst took her by surprise. She didn't say another word, nor looked at him, and started to walk away. She hated it when people yell at her for no good reason, so if this guy didn't want any help, she won't press any further.

"Hey wait," he called out as Dara was about to leave. She didn't turn around, but she stopped. "I'm sorry for yelling like that. I didn't mean to, it's just that I'm not feeling well due to the cold weather, so I'm a bit cranky."

Dara smiled and walked back to him. "It's alright, I understand. If you don't want me to call the nurse, at least let me help you up."

"That'd be great," he said. Dara extended her hand out and he didn't hesitate to grab it. She pulled him up and picked up his bag from the ground, handing it to him. "Thank you."

"Your welcome. I'm Sandara, by the way, but you can call me Dara. I've seen you around school before. You take the music composition course right?" 

"Oh, so you're Sandara. I've heard about you before. Something about rejecting all the guys who ask you out?" Dara sighed. Of course he'd know about that. "And yes, I do take music composition. How did you know? Oh yeah, I'm Junhyung by the way."

"It's sounds really bad when you put it like that, but I guess it's true." Junhyung chuckled. "I know because I'm good friends with Jiyong and I sometimes see you two going in that class together." 

"Oh. Jiyong's a cool dude," he said and Dara nodded. "Well, I think I should get going. I still need to take the bus home and I live kind of far."

"Hey, why don't I drive you home? My car's just outside and I don't want you to get more sick," she offered, but Junhyung shook his head.

"No, no, it's okay. I'm used to bussing home."

"I insist, Junhyung. Plus, I don't feel like going home yet anyway and I usually just drive around town at times like these, so it's no big deal." Junhyung hesitated for a moment, but eventually sighed and nodded. 

Junhyung lived about 30 minutes from the school, but Dara didn't mind. She usually spends her time alone on Fridays, so she was glad that she had company even for a short while. Even if they only met an hour ago, they already feel comfortable around each other and feel like they could talk about anything. When Dara pulled up in front of Junhyung's house, his parents were waiting for him outside. 

"My parents still treat me like I'm 7. After school, they're always outside, waiting for me to come home." Dara smiled and waved at them. They grinned and waved back at her.

"Don't worry about it, my parents are the same. I guess they just have a hard time letting go of the fact that we're not babies anymore."

"I guess. Well, thank you for the ride, Dara. I hope it wasn't much trouble," Junhyung said as he got out of her car.

"Oh no, it was no trouble at all. I'm actually glad because I gained a new friend today." Junhyung smiled at the word 'friend'. He was happy that she considered him as a friend.

"Me too." They grinned at each other and said their goodbyes. 

 

 

From then on, Junhyung and Dara started spending more and more time with each other. It came to a point where they were inseparable, hanging out everyday during school breaks, after school and even on weekends. 

One day, Junhyung didn't show up at school and Dara thought that he probably didn't feel well. But when he didn't come to school the day after, Dara started to worry. She tried calling her best friend's phone, but no one answered. She waited for him to come back, but it's been 6 days and she was starting to get angry at him for not contacting her at all.

On the 7th day, she couldn't stand it any longer and rushed to his house right after school. When his parents answered the door, they were surprised to see her there, almost on the brink of tears. 

"Dara, honey, what brings you here?" his mom asked.

"Mrs. Yong, is Junhyung sick or something? He's been away from school since last week." Dara said.

"Didn't he tell you? His aunt stayed over last week and he managed to catch her cold, so he's been quite sick." Dara was relieved that it wasn't something bad.

"He didn't tell me. Can I go and see him?" Mrs. Yong nodded and showed her where his room was. 

Dara went up and slowly opened his door, careful not to wake him up. She found him curled up under his sheets and she couldn't resist the urge to lay down and cuddle up beside him. Junhyung stirred a bit and slowly started to wake up. 

"Hey," she whispered. He turned around so that he was facing Dara and smiled upon seeing her face.

"Hello there. What are you doing here?" he asked, lightly pinching her cheek.

"You've been a very bad best friend. You didn't tell me that you caught your aunt's cold. I could've brought you soup or something. I was so worried." Dara moved closer to him and hugged him tightly, burying her face in his chest. Junhyung chuckled and her hair.

"I'm sorry, Dara. I was going to call you today because I feel a lot better, but you came here before I could."

"I forgive you, but next time, have your mom message me or something. I was going crazy at school," she mumbled against his shirt. 

"I will."

 

 

For the next few months, Junhyung's been constantly taking weeks off school and Dara was getting really worried. Mrs. Yong assured her that he's fine and that he always gets sick at this time of year. Dara told herself that since it was his mother who said that, it must be true. 

On the days when he stayed home, she sometimes skips school to spend time with him. Junhyung would get mad at her and tell her to go back, but Dara insists that she's ahead anyway, so she won't be missing anything. He knows that he won't win when it comes to arguing with Dara, so he reluctantly lets her stay. 

"Junhyung, my dad is a doctor. Why don't I take him with me here one time, so that he could see what's wrong with you? Maybe he could give you some medicine that could help with all these sicknesses," Dara said one day when they were on the couch, watching some TV. Junhyung was lying down with his head on Dara's lap. It was a Friday evening and Dara's parents allowed her to sleep over at his house.

"That's not necessary. I'll get better soon, I promise."

"I know, but--"

"I think we should change into our pajamas now, just in case we fall asleep while watching the movie that you rented." Dara nodded; a bit disappointed that Junhyung changed the subject so quickly. 

 

 

Dara started feeling different around Junhyung. Nowadays, the slightest of touch will get her heart racing and she doesn't know why. She found herself blushing more often when he compliments her and she gets frustrated because she was never like this. She asked her mom about it and she simply said, "Darling, you're falling in love with Junhyung."

It took her some time to accept the fact that she might like Junhyung as more than a friend. At first, she denied it, telling her mom that she was crazy, but when she found herself admiring him as he walked towards her in the hallway, she knew that her mother's right.

Dara decided to tell him because she wasn't the type of person to keep her feelings hidden, oh no. If she was feeling a certain emotion towards a person, she won't hesitate in telling them because that's just how she is. So when they were in her car outside his house, she told him.

"I love you." Junhyung just stared at her.

"Um...I love you too?" Dara knew that he didn't understand what she meant.

"No, Junhyung. I don't just love you as a friend, but as more than that."

"Oh." They sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Say something, Jun." Junhyung looked at her and sighed.

"I'm sorry Dara, but I...I...I don't love you in that w-way."

Now it was Dara's turn to say, "Oh."

"I'm sorry." Junhyung looked away, not wanting to see the hurt in her eyes.

"Don't worry, it's okay. I understand." She gave him the best smile that she could, holding back the tears that wanted to spill from her eyes.

"I'm glad you do."

"Um, I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, sure."

But Junhyung avoids her for the next couple of weeks. She tried contacting him several times, but his phone's always off and no one answers his home phone. Dara tried asking Jiyong if he could talk to Junhyung, but he said that Junhyung hasn't attended class in a really long time. She cried herself to sleep for almost two weeks, regretting her decision of telling him how she feels because it pushed him away. 

 

 

It's been two and a half months since the last time they talked to each other and Dara has officially given up on trying to talk to Junhyung. He hasn't gone to school for months, so she figures that he probably transferred or something. She tried asking the office once, but they told her that it was confidential.

Dara didn't want to think about him anymore. She wanted to forget and just move on with her life. She busied herself with schoolwork, extra curricular activities and volunteering at the hospital her dad works at. 

One Saturday afternoon, Dara was walking around the hospital to see if any of the staff needed help with anything, since pretty much everyone knew her. She stopped, however, when she heard familiar voices around the corner.

"Doctor, what did my son say?" Dara hid behind a pillar and watched as Junhyung's parents talked to the doctor.

"He has asked to stop the treatments for his leukemia." Junhyung's father put an arm around his mother as she cried.

Dara couldn't believe what she was hearing. She walked towards them and when his parents saw her, their eyes widened. "J-Junhyung can't have leukemia. He said...he said t-that he'll get b-better!"

"Oh, Dara..."

"Where is he?! I need to see him!" Dara begged, tears now streaming down her face. Mr. Yong pointed to the room at the end of the hall and Dara sprinted towards it. She slammed the door open, surprising Junhyung, who was lying down on his bed, staring the ceiling.

"Dara..."

"I ing hate you," she hissed. 

"I'm...I..."

"I hate you, you ing jerk. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you..." Dara yelled as she stomped towards him. 

"You have every right to," he whispered, avoiding her glare.

"I hate that I love you so ing much," she said, then leaned down to press her lips on his. Without hesitation, he cupped her face in his hands and deepened the kiss, tasting the saltiness of her tears as it spilled from her eyes. When she pulled away, she rested her forehead on his chest and started sobbing. "W-Why didn't you t-tell m-me?"

"Because I thought that it would be easier for you if you didn't know," Junhyung replied, pulling her to lay down beside him.

"Easier? How would that be easier for me? For three months, I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, and couldn’t concentrate because I had no Idea what was going on with you. Do you really think that it's easier that way? Because I sure as hell don't."

"I know, I'm sorry. I love you, Dara, so much and I'm sorry for putting you through all this. I just...I just don't want to put you through more pain when I'm...gone..." he whispered against her hair.

"Don't say that. You're not going to d-die. If...If you just continue with the treatments--"

"It's too late for me now, Dara. All the treatment will do is make me more tired and weak, and I don't want that." Dara buried her face in the crook of his neck and sobbed.

"H-How long...?"

"1 to 2 years max, if I'm lucky. Maybe earlier, there's really no way of knowing."

"Then let's make the best of it. You and I, we'll do everything that you want to do. I'll be by your side through it all." Dara hugged him tighter, feeling like he could be taken away at any moment.

"Dara, you don't have to do that. You have more important things to worry about."

"No, I want to. I love you and I want to be with you no matter what. I'm never going to leave you, Junhyung." He smiled and kissed the top of her head. 

"I love you too. Thank you." 

 

 

Junhyung was discharged from the hospital, but the doctor made him promise that if he ever felt unwell, he would immediately go to the hospital. Dara spoke to the principal and made arrangements with her teachers to shorten the remainder schoolwork that she has and just give her a reduced mark. Her marks were high anyway, so it won't do much damage. Just as long as she's able to graduate, she's happy. 

For the first three months, they spent most of their time going to different countries. So far, they've gone to France, America, Cuba and Thailand. After a few days in Thailand, Junhyung started to feel sick, so they immediately took a flight back to Korea to get him checked out. He keeps on telling her that he's perfectly fine but she knew better. He was getting worse by the day, and she's terrified.

Two months later, they decide to live together. With the help of their parents and money that Dara's saved, they were able to get an apartment not too far from the hospital. Her heart breaks every time he winces in pain as he tries to find a comfortable sleeping position, but she doesn't say anything about it. He tries to look strong in front of her, but she knows that he's suffering inside. Every morning, the first thing Dara would do is watch Junhyung's chest as it rises and falls because as long as he's breathing, she knows that she hasn't lost him yet.

"You know, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me," Junhyung tells Dara as they cuddled in bed one Sunday afternoon.

"You're the best thing that has ever happened to me too. What's with the sudden compliment?" she asked, placing a soft kiss on his shoulder. 

"I don't know, I just felt like it. Oh and Dara?"

"Hmm?" 

"I love you." 

"I love you too. Now, how about we use that beautiful, soft lips of yours for something else..."

 

 

4 years later...

"Yong Jaesoon! Come here!" Dara yelled from the living room. Soon footsteps were heard coming out from the bedroom.

"Yah?"

"What did I tell you about leaving your toys on the ground?" 

"Sorry, Umma. Won't do it again," Jaesoon said, and then ran to Dara to give her a hug. 

"Okay, baby. Next time, put them back in your treasure chest, alright?"

"Okay, Umma. Are we going to visit Appa today?" he asked, tugging on Dara's shirt.

"Yes we are. Would you like to pick out the flowers?" Dara sat down on the couch and gestured for Jaesoon to sit on his lap. He smiled, climbing on to her lap.

"Really? What should I choose?"

"It's up to you. I bet he'll be very happy with whatever you choose." Jaesoon's face brightened up, then he clapped his hands.

"Do you think Appa will show my flowers to everyone in heaven?" Dara smiled and hugged her son.

"He sure will, baby,"

"Then, I'll pick the prettiest flowers," he said excitedly. Then he thought about something. "Umma, when will Appa come home?"

"Oh sweetie, your appa is always with us. No matter where we are, he'll always be here," she said, pointing at his chest. Jaesoon grinned and put his tiny hands on his chest and on Dara's.

"Appa hearts us."

"He does and we love him too, always will."