C.1 Meeting

Do Sweets & Flowers Go Together?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moon Byulyi.

Yongsun grits her teeth while the customer in front of her chatters that name for the nth time, carefully wrapping up another bouquet of gorgeous white carnations and red chrysanthemums.

 "She's sooo pretty," one of them gushes to their girlfriend, who's smiling with amusement. Both girls are decked out in trendy wear, holding iced lattes and distinctive pink candy bags. "Honestly, Jungmi, you should have seen her! I've never met someone so attractive when they're scooping up pink licorice and taffy."

The other girl raises an sleek eyebrow, giggling. "Really? Goodness, I must visit that shop someday so I can at least get an idea on what you're going on about. The way you're talking about her makes her sound like she's a goddess or something."

"She is," the other replies, nearly swooning at the mere memory of crossing paths with Moon Byulyi. Yongsun discreetly rolls her eyes as she finishes off the flowers with a red bow. "God, I wonder if she's taken? Someone like that has to be."

Yongsun's heard enough for today. "Here's your bouquet," she interrupts politely, propping up the meticulous arrangement of sweet-smelling flowers on the counter. A corner of her lip quirks up. "One of you has a special someone?"

The second girl nods, taking the bouquet gratefully. "That's me," she chirps, digging into her purse for the money. "Thanks for this, Ms Kim. This will be perfect for my boyfriend."

"Yeah," the other adds in. "Guys like, totally need flowers too. It's not a girl thing." She elbows her friend playfully. "It's their one-year lovey dovey couple anniversary, so she wanted to get him something extra for this date."

Yongsun smiles wider. "Oh, that's so sweet! I'm glad you girls trust me to make up your bouquet for you," she says as she returns the extra change. "Have a good day and enjoy your special anniversary, okay?"

"Will do!" they call over their shoulder as the bell by the door chimes, and she's left alone in the shop again. Once both girls are out of sight, Yongsun's smile fades and she slumps back down in her seat tiredly.

It's been a blur of the last few days. Between handling the movers, setting up the shop, making arrangements with her supplier and settling the rent of her apartment, Yongsun is pretty much burned out. 

She hasn't had a spot of rest since last week, so any respite given is a much needed blessing for her. Yongsun supposed she could hire someone, but until her florist business proved to be stable she didn't want to risk anything and besides, she could manage everything alone. 

Yongsun absent-mindedly chews on her lower lip, her mind wandering to her block and the street her little shop's currently occupying. Everyone's been so nice to her since she's moved in.

The bakery's owner has always set aside a few buns for her while the grocery's ahjumma would always ask about her day. Mr Cho has offered to cut and style her hair for free should she ever need one. It was always nice to drop in for lunch with them. She considered herself lucky for having such considerate neighbours.

Yongsun's eyes flits to her beloved flowers, gardenias, freesias, hydrangea and lilies, honeysuckles and marigolds, grinning wanly at them in their pots and vases. She's always had a love of flowers and gardening ever since she could walk, and finally being able to realise her dream was more than enough for a reason for her to smile.

Lazily, her gaze continues to flicker towards the right of the storefront, just next to the bakery opposite the street if you leaned a lot to the left.

Her eyes crinkle at the cheesy pinks and muted maroons of that candy shop, white, curly bold lettering proclaiming Sugar Rush Shoppe at the top.

That's the only shop she hasn't visited, and for good reason: Yongsun already has enough problems maintaining her diet and sweet tooth.

Of course, she rolls her eyes as she thinks, that's what she wants to tell herself. 

For some reason, Yongsun is not keen on meeting the shop owner's daughter. Ever since she moved in last week, the name kept popping up countless times, between her customers and the owners of the businesses on the street. 

At first, this had struck her as strange that so many people had been talking about Moon Byulyi. Yongsun initially had written off the name as a celebrity, but that took a very quick turn when Mr Cho commented on Byulyi's absence.

"It's not like her to miss them," he said at one lunch last week as Yongsun fed another spoon of kimchi fried rice into , the aroma mouthwatering. She had been glad to take a break from filing her taxes, and it was a reprieve for her sore eyes.

The grocery's ahjumma, Mrs Jung, shrugs amicably. "Maybe she's just busy. Her business is doing well, and she's currently managing it alone which must be hard for her, poor thing."

"Who?" Yongsun asked curiously, spoon hovering in the air.

Both of them turn to her in surprise, before Mrs Jung visibly relaxes. "Oh yes dear, I forgot you just moved in. Moon Byulyi. She's Mr Moon's daughter. She helps him with the candy shop."

"Eh?" Yongsun raises an eyebrow as she digests the fact that Moon Byulyi's a real person. "She's not an idol?"

The both of them stare at her like she's gone crazy before they burst out laughing.

"Oh no, Ms Kim," Mr Cho says between breaths as he struggles to sip his tea. "She looks like one though. Got lots of my clients asking me about her when I'm doing their hair. Haven't you gone into the candy store to say hi?"

"I-uhh- yes," Yongsun lies as she picks up another spoonful of rice, deciding not to tell them how she had been avoiding the shop in fear of unleashing her sweet tooth and  impulsively buying out their whole inventory.

"Mr Park's doing well these days," Mrs Jung comments, changing the subject as she spools the glass noodles around her chopsticks expertly. "I met him the other day and he's happy in retirement. Says it's good for him to rest."

Once again, Yongsun has to politely inquire about him while she's still trying to wrap her head about the new revelation of Byulyi. "Who is Mr Park?"

Both set of eyes turn onto her again. "Oh, darling," Mrs Jung quips sympathetically, "he was the previous owner of the shoplot you're currently renting. He used to sell jewelry of all shapes and sizes." She holds up an arm with a white bracelet circling her wrist.

Yongsun can see the interior speckled with small stones, lovingly made with care."He's good at what he does, that's for sure."

"Yes," Mr Cho confirms with a wan smile. "Ms Moon was close to him, you know. She used to go over there every week to have tea with him."

"Ah, I see." Yongsun blinks warily at this fact. Maybe that was why Byulyi didn't show up at the owners' lunches? After all, she had a right to be upset at Yongsun for replacing the jewelry store with her flower shop, and essentially, the older, kind gentleman. 

She mentally adds another reason not to go to the candy store. She doesn't trust herself not to fall over her feet and screw up their meeting.

Yongsun huffs irritably at herself as she returns to the present, scrubbing the counters with a single-minded obsessiveness.

 She doesn't get what's the big deal with the girl. So what if Moon Byulyi was not only apparently really cute, but single too?

 No, Yongsun has enough in her life as it is. She certainly has no interest of checking out someone like that, no matter how much she's heard about them.

Heck, she doesn't even know how the other girl looks like. The girl hasn't even come over to say hi, much less come to the daily lunches.

Maybe she's avoiding me? Yongsun's eyebrows shoot up in consternation, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter