Prom

Shorts

 

 

"what are you doing out here wonyoung-ah?"

"oh, hi there chaewon unnie. just stargazing, that's all"

chaewon sits beside the girl and  looked at the her  increduously

"yah, unnie. what's with that look?" wonyoung chuckles a bit.

chaewon shakes her head slightly.

 

"Nothing. i didn't expect you, of all people to not have a date for prom."

"what? like it's impossible?" wonyoung scoffs. Faint cheers and music could be heard from where they were.

"i mean, just look at you. who wouldn't want to go out with you?"

"i can choose who i want to go with, unnie. in case that wasn't obvious"

"look, I -- nevermind. this won't go anywhere." Chaewon gives up with a sigh.

"But still, out here alone in the cold? we should probably head back."

She stands up to leave, but her hand was quickly pulled back  by the younger girl, making her land back with a thud.

"Seriously? and that hurt"  the older girl said with a pout.

Wonyoung chuckled at the older girl.

"Let's just stay here for awhile, unnie. please?" wonyoung pleaded.

'i don't want to go back there and see them together'

Chaewon eyed the younger girl, sadness evident in her tone and eyes. She then agreed with a sigh. 

"Okay. Just because I know you don't want to see them both together too." Chaewon says, eyes locked at the stars twinkling above them. 

The younger girl looked at her with a shocked expression at first, then settled with a grimace. "You're really observant unnie."

Chaewon just chuckles at that. "it's okay. you're not the only one though." the older girl admits.

This caught the full attention of the younger girl. " So you really are in love with Minjoo unnie" wonyoung says, mouth agape.

Chaewon just smiles sadly. "'Were'. i've been trying to move on for quite some time now." 

Wonyoung snorts "'trying'. you're tone betrays you, unnie". the older just chuckles, then ruffles her hair.

"Yah! unnie! why'd you have to do that? ugh, i can't believe this. i'll look like a mess!" the younger girl whined, rearranging her hair back.

"you don't have to. it's not like you're goin in there anyway. you don't have a date remember? Got no one to show off to you 'Yujinnie'"

"Haha. thank you for your concern and for pointing out the obvious." the younger replied, sarcasm evident in her tone as she rolled her eyes at the older girl.

"it's not like you have one too."

"well, too bad for us then." the older just shrugs, amusement in her eyes as she eyed the younger girl. 

"but personally, it's not that bad. being here and all."

"Yeah. i guess you're right" Wonyoung smiles sadly.

"D-Do you think we, i don't know, will move on from whatever we are feeling right now?" she asks the older, slbeit she didn't look at her, just far ahead.

Chaewon does the same, then sighs.
"I guess. i mean, it won't be soon. but we'll get there, eventually. that's what i hope." 

"But.. when will that be? can't it come sooner?" the younger girl asks, almost in a whisper.

Desperation, pain, and sadness evident in her tone as her lips tremboe to keep her emotions at bay.

 

Chaewon looks at the other girl. to be honest, she's speechless. because she too, doesn't know the answer to that. and so she does what she could think of as of the moment.

She just hugs the girl, awkwardly at first , since she wasn't used to skinship, but both came to a comfortable position, as the younger girl buries her head on the older's neck, silent tears streaming down her face.

Chaewon rubs then pats her back softly. she couldn't offer her anything more than just be her shoulder to cry on.

 

Yes, she was hurting too. they both are. But they could only wish to already get over the pain of loving someone who wouldn't be able to love you back.

 

 

-------------------------------------

 

 

"it's your first prom, right?"

"Yeah. what are thinking of, unnie?"

"nothing. just -- instead of a dance, should i just, um"

"just what?" the younger looks at her with amusement, and perhaps curiosity.

"what are you planning for?"

"well, we both don't have, um, dates. and i was just thinking, you know. i don't really dance, but i could sing. and well, i thought maybe i'll just sing for you?" the older scratches her cheek, which was flaming just like her ears.

The younger girl laughs at her.

"H-Hey. look i'm seriously trying  here okay?"

"I know."

Wonyoung says after she has composed herself. A bright smile on her face as she clutches on the jacket draped on her shoulders and looks at the girl in front of her.

 

"Okay. let's do that."

 

 

---end---