Keep painting me with more memories, so no one else but you can draw in my heart...

Paint Me

Inspired by Mamamoo's Paint Me

Enjoy ^^

 

 

 

 

One layer, two layers, getting painted

Here and there getting engraved

Keep painting me

 

A white canvas without a painter it’s just a plain white canvas; the painter adds colors, layers and layers of colors creating a beautiful masterpiece. But without the right colors you might end up with a ruined canvas instead.

 

White, me without you back then

I was white as a canvas

I was lonely

But it was peaceful, always…

 

Lee Chaeyeon was a loner. If she had to describe herself in one word that would be it. Don’t get her wrong, she had nice friends to hang out with, she kept in touch with her family as often as she could; but at the end of the day on her small dorm it would be only herself alone with her thoughts since her friend and roommate, Hyewon, was constantly hanging out with her girlfriend; she would often nag at Chaeyeon saying that she was always studying too much and she should go out with them, but being a third wheel for Hyewon and Sakura was not her idea of fun. “Well, get yourself a girlfriend then.” Hyewon would always say, but Chaeyeon never really cared about not having a girlfriend; she’d rather focus on her studies and become a famous choreographer; her life was good enough and peaceful, she would go to college, hang out with her friends, study a little more, and whenever her mind was full she would just let it all out by dancing; dance was her only passion and for her that was enough, at least that was what she always said to her friends… and to herself.

 

Yellow, when you suddenly came to me

Suddenly in my heart

Spring-like warmth

Came inside naturally

 

“You’re late.” Was the first thing Chaeyeon heard as soon as the door to Sakura’s apartment opened.

“Hello to you too Hyewon.” The said girl only glared at her. “I’m sorry okay! I had to finish this routine for class and its worth it like half of my grade so it was really important.” The older didn’t budge. “I’ve brought Takoyaki.” With that she stepped aside so Chaeyeon could go in. “Glutton! Hey Saku-chan.” Hyewon only rolled her eyes at her friend.

“Hey Chae!” The Japanese girl greeted back. “You know, Hye really thought you were going to ditch us this time.” She told her not looking up from the gaming equipment she was setting up in the living room.

“Well can you blame me? She’s done it before.” The older girl complained.

“Yeah, and you gave me silent treatment for two days; I admit I enjoyed the peace, but I think if I do that again you would lock me up outside the dorm or something.” Chaeyeon half joked, deep down she knew Hyewon could do that. “Where’s everyone else? And why are you complaining about me being late if there’s only the two of you here?” She eyed her roommate.

“Yujin is spending the weekend with her family and Yuri ditched us for her studies. Even ditched her girlfriend.” Hyewon explained laughing while going through the bags on the counter including the ones Chaeyeon just brought.

“Where is she by the way?” The dancer asked.

“I’m here!” A girl who looked too much like a duck popped out of nowhere. “Hello Chaeyeon-ah!” She greeted cheerfully.

“Hello Yena-yah! Where the hell did you came from?” The dancer asked still surprised by the girl’s appearance.

“Just in the bathroom. So Kkura unnie are you done with the equipment yet? We still want to play today you know.” Yena provoked the older girl.

“I’d be if someone was helping me.” Sakura complained glaring the girl. “Did you talk to Eunbi unnie yet? Is she still coming Duck?” That got Chaeyeon’s attention.

“Who? Someone else is joining us today?” She asked.

“Yes, and I told you.” Hyewon was eating already. “She’s Kkura and Yena’s friend. We’ve met a couple of times and she’s nice so why not invite her too.” She shrugged turning her attention back to her food.

“Eunbi unnie is still coming, she just got caught up in her canvases.” She joked. “She’s an arts major like me and we have this big project to finish.” She explained seeing the confusion on her friend’s face. “When Eunbi unnie starts with her canvases and her paints she losts track of time. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if she showed up with some paint across her face and clothes or something. But she’ll be here soon.”

“Okay losers all set up! Who wants to lose to me first?” Sakura had finally finished setting up the game equipment.

 

Three rounds of Mario Kart later Sakura indeed had defeated all of them and they were now going for the fourth round because Yena wanted a rematch. Hyewon was making popcorn to watch the two of them bicker while playing and Chaeyeon was thrown in the couch laughing at the pair she almost missed the doorbell ringing because of how loud they were being.

“Guys I think your friend arrived.” She warned.

“Busy!” The both answered too focused on the game.

“Sure guys, of course I can go get the door for you, no problem…” She mocked going towards the door. As soon as she opened she was greeted with a very pretty and very unusual sight. There stood a girl smaller than her carrying some bags with she assumed it was food in it wearing black sweatpants with a few ink stains and a yellow hoodie; her hair was black, except for a small part of it that was stained with some yellow paint; her pale skin was also stained with yellow right on her chin. “Cute” The dancer thought.

“Hello?” The girl snapped Chaeyeon out of her thoughts.

“Oh hello! You’re Eunbi right?” She asked just to be sure as if the amount of paint wasn’t enough to figure out who the girl was. “Come on in, Sakura and Yena are busy fighting each other because of Mario Kart.” She laughed.

“Sakura and Yena fighting? Now I’m sure I got the right address.” She joked getting inside the place.

“I’m Chaeyeon by the way.” The dancer introduced herself.

“I’m Eunbi… but you already know that.” She said giggling cutely making Chaeyeon smile.

“Yo Eunbi you have something yellow on your face.” Hyewon said passing by the two of them. “You too Chaeyeon, but is red… ” She smirked at her best friend before going to sit on the couch to enjoy Sakura and Yena’s bickering.

“Hello to you too Hyewon.” The arts major said sarcastic. “And what do you mean something yellow on my face?” She asked confused.

“Oh yeah about that…” Chaeyeon pulled out her cell phone showing it to the smaller girl. “See? It’s in your hair too…”

“Oh my God! I can’t believe I’ve been walking around like this again!” She said kinda frustrated. “That’s why the cashier at the convenience store was looking at me weirdly.” She tried rubbing off the paint and Chaeyeon just laughed.

 “Come on I can help you with that.” Eunbi put her bags on the counter and followed Chaeyeon to the bathroom.

Not so long after that Eunbi was free from the paint.

“Thank you Chaeyeon.” The brunette said drying her face.

“No problem. I couldn’t let you just go around covered in paint.” The taller girl joked.

“Oh come on it wasn’t even that much.” Eunbi protested.

“Say that to my hand.” The dancer showed her hand smudged with paint to the black haired girl.

“Sorry about that.” She smiled.

“No problem at all.” Chaeyeon smiled back and they spent a few good seconds just staring at each other but their little moment was broken.

“Chaeyeon-ah is your turn to have a rematch with Sakura!” An excited Yena came through the bathroom door. “Come on you too Eunbi unnie play with us.” She said while dragging Eunbi with her towards the living room.

Chaeyeon just stood there smiling after the black haired beauty, her hand stained with yellow ink and her cheeks painted with red.

 

One Layer, Two layers getting painted like watercolors

Here and there, getting engraved like a tattoo

Every spot you pass by gets colored with a different memory

Thicker and thicker like the black night

 

Since that day in Sakura’s apartment Eunbi became a part of Chaeyeon’s previously monotone routine. At first they were texting each other, soon they were hanging out together; it all felt too natural as if they already knew each other for years; the pair discovered they had a lot in common, starting from their mutual love for arts, especially dance; while Chaeyeon was a dance major in college Eunbi used to be part of a dance crew back in high school and even though the girl insisted that she was a bit rusty the dancer strongly disagrees. They both also liked to just sit in the park and watch all kinds of different people; Like the guy who would often show up in dates with a bunch of different girls, or the nice lady who liked to buy popcorn just to feed the birds, or the girl who would always be dragged around by her dog while taking a walk; Eunbi sometimes would bring her sketchbook with her and draw daily scenes and Chaeyeon would always find herself admiring the smaller girl, the cute frown on her face when she was sketching, or how attractive she looked when she was focused, every single detail about Eunbi made Chaeyeon admire her more and more; each day she found out something new about the girl, now for example, she had just discovered that the older girl knew how to play guitar.

“No way Eunbi! You do not play guitar!” She said as soon as she saw the small girl sitting on their usual bench at the park with a guitar next to her. “You dance, draw, paint and now you’re telling me you play guitar too?? That’s not fair it’s too many talent for just one person!” She pretended to complain being the loud mess she often was around the brunette; it was like Eunbi had this power to bring out a more carefree side of Chaeyeon.

“Oh shut up!” She was blushing now. “I just started learning as a hobby. I like bringing my guitar with me sometimes and just play feeling the cool breeze hit my face without a worry in the world.” She explained with a small smile. “You know there was this one time when I was just playing and I was just so immersed in the music that only when I finished I realized that some people had gathered around to hear, some of them even put some money in my case thinking I was a street artist or something.” She told the story with a chuckle and a nostalgic look while the dancer threw her head back letting out one of her contagious laughs that always made Eunbi smile.

“What did you do with the money? Did you take it?” The dance major asked curious.

“Well the crowd dispersed after I stopped playing and since I had no idea who gave me what I couldn’t really give it back.” She smiled mischievous. “But ever since then I only play with my guitar case closed so they have nowhere to put money.” She explained. “But… I think I could open an exception today.” She smirked at Chaeyeon opening her guitar case and putting it on the ground by her feet. “And I think you can help me with that Chae.” All her friends had this habit of calling her Chae by for some reason the nickname coming from Eunbi made her feel giddy inside.

“What do you mean?” The taller girl asked looking around hoping the arts major wouldn’t see her blushing.

“What if you dance while I play? I’m sure the both of us together can manage to attract quite a crowd and make some change for a few macaroons and ice cream later.” She suggested with a wink.

“Eunbi! We can’t take money out of people! We don’t need it.” She protested.

“Oh come on we’re college students Chaeyeon, we’re always broke!” Eunbi tried to convince the younger girl. “And besides, when did you ever think of performing in the middle of a park? It’s something you’ve never done before and it’s fun being spontaneous.” Chaeyeon had to admit she was tempted to accept. “Come on Chae it’ll be fun.” She even pouted this time and the taller girl knew that was nothing she could do anymore, the guitar player won.

As soon the familiar chords of the song filled her ears Chaeyeon smiled, Serendipity, it was one of the many songs they both loved; and now an acoustic version of it was being played skillfully by Eunbi. The dancer just closed her eyes and let the music guide her movements like she always did; usually when Chaeyeon danced to more calm songs like this one she would be alone in a room with only just the music, it was her personal way of venting, like some sort of therapy session, but this time was different, Eunbi was there with her watching every move in awe and Chaeyeon didn’t care to share this moment with her; as she closed her eyes and danced, even though there was quite the crowd around them now, for the dancer it was just the two of them.

 

Keep painting me with more memories

Hurry and paint me with only your scent

So it can’t be erased

So no one else but you can draw in my heart

 

Another thing they had in common was the habit of watching the stars. Chaeyeon would always do it from her dorm window, while Eunbi would simply go to the Han River and just lay there on the grass; at first Chaeyeon though she was nuts, who on their right mind would just lay around on the ground in at night in a public space? And yet here she was lying beside the nuts person and enjoying every second of it.

“This is peaceful.” The dancer broke the silence. “But not in a lonely way.” She said the last part almost in a whisper.

“It is…” Eunbi agreed not taking her eyes off of the sky. “It’s nice not watching them alone.” Chaeyeon looked back at her but she was still looking up. “At least now I’m not the only one failing at finding the constellations.” She let out a giggle finally looking back at the younger girl smiling softly at her.

“Constellations are frustrating.” The dancer groaned. “Whoever mapped them was either drunk or high.” That made Eunbi laugh. “I’m serious! Like that one called Leo, where in the world that looks like a lion? And how about Taurus? That’s definitely not a bull! And they are not easy to find at all!” Eunbi could only laugh at Chaeyeon’s ranting. “Even I can point to a random set of stars and name them a constellation of my own.”

“Good idea. How about we map our own constellations then?” The arts major suggested. “Like those over there! They’re going to be called The Dancer.” She pointed to some random stars near the moon. “The moon will be The Dancer’s eternal spotlight. Your turn.” She finished proud.

“Okay… over there near The Dancer.” Chaeyeon pointed to another group of stars that didn’t even make sense. “That will be The Painter constellation; The Painter plays guitar while The Dancer dances around the moon.” They both laughed at their own ideas pointing at random stars and giving them names getting ten more brand new constellations to keep company to The Dancer and The Painter: ‘The Duck’ ‘The Gamer’ ‘The Glutton’ ‘The Fairy’ ‘The Giant Baby’ ‘The Puppy’ ‘The Cheeky’ ‘The Radish’ ‘The Angel’ and ‘The Beauty’.

“Okay okay I think we have enough constellations towards the whole sky now.” Eunbi said when they finally stopped laughing. “It’s getting late we should go.” She got up and offered her hand to the dancer and noticed how the girl shivered a little. “Here” She took off her hoodie and offered to Chaeyeon; the same yellow one with a few paint stains she was wearing when they met. Before the girl could even think of denying Eunbi passed the hoodie through her head and suddenly Chaeyeon found herself engulfed by the older girl’s scent; she smelled like a strange combination of lavender and fresh paint; that warm feeling in her chest spreading like never before.

“You really don’t have to give me this.” The dancer was thankful for the darkness of the night hiding her flushed face.

“I know but I want to; I like taking care of you.” There it was that smile that often made the younger girl melt. “Come on I’ll walk you back to your dorm.” She offered her hand and Chaeyeon did not hesitated in holding it tight

 

Red, the moment you hotly hugged me

My heart exploded like a volcano

A red mark is left in my heart

It’s still warm

 

Chaeyeon was in love with Eunbi. That’s it, no doubts, no denial, no fear; she was simply in love with the arts major, she’d been for a while but only now she got the courage to actually do something about it. They’ve known each other for a few months now and they’ve been inseparable, Eunbi never failed to make the dancer smile and make her feel like she was floating; she was fun, kind, caring, smart and every good thing Chaeyeon could think of to describe the older girl. Said girl that was waiting for her right outside the locker room so they can go have lunch and then proceed to their daily ‘ice cream date’; it was a habit for Eunbi now to wait for Chaeyeon after her classes so they can hang out together; the dance major couldn’t contain her smile every time she’d see the smaller girl outside her classroom, or the locker room, or the dance room, just waiting there until Chaeyeon came out to meet her; from anyone else perspective  they looked like girlfriends and if it was up to the younger girl that would be true soon.

“I’m ready!” A freshly showered Chaeyeon after an intense dance class came out.

“Let’s go then.” The older girl said grabbing her hand, another habit of them was walking around hand in hand; Chaeyeon remembers the first time Eunbi held her hand; she felt so awkward and blushed so hard that the brunette thought she had done something wrong and even apologized for it; eventually she got used to having Eunbi’s hand on hers, it just felt right.

 

“Chaeyeon you’re okay?” Eunbi asked after they were seated comfortably inside a really nice restaurant near the campus they used to go. “You’ve been spacing out a lot lately.” She was slightly worried about the taller girl.

“Oh yeah I’m fine, just thinking.” She explained. “So Eun… Do you want to meet at the Han River tonight?” The taller girl asked hoping Eunbi wasn’t busy tonight with some project.

“Sure! I kinda miss our constellations.” She agreed happily.

“Great! I’ll pick you up tonight then.” With that their turned their attention to the food that had just arrived; both of them anticipating their meeting later.

 

The night was warm and so was Chaeyeon. She was laying down on the grass in an red towel they’ve brought with them and Eunbi’s head was resting on her shoulder; they’ve been in this position many times before, but this time it was different; she had something to say but her courage was failing her right now.

“Okay what’s wrong?” The older girl asked sitting up. “You’ve been weird ever since we got here, and awfully quiet too; what’s going on?” That made the dancer sit up too.

“Well… it’s just that… I have something to say to you, but I suddenly don’t know how to speak.” She joked to lift some of the tension within her body.

“You know you can tell me everything Chae; just calm down and say it. It’s me Eunbi.” She tried soothing the younger girl.

“Okay then…” She took a deep breath and held both of the smaller girl’s hands. “Eunbi… ever since I’ve met you I’ve felt something different… something strong that I’ve never felt before…” Another deep breath. “You’re everything I’ve never knew I needed in my life.” She was staring right into her eyes now. “You are all the colors that had been missing in me; before you I used to feel alone and sometimes lost, but ever since you entered my life there was not a day I’ve felt lonely or unhappy.” Eunbi squeezed her hands for her to keep talking, a small reassurance she needed right now. “What I’m trying to say here is that I’m completely in love with you Kwon Eunbi, and I love being your friend but, I would love even more being your girlfriend instead.” With that she let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding; it felt good having finally being honest about her feelings for the brunette. “Please say something… anything even if you’re just going to reject me, just say something Eunbi.” The girl was simply staring at her without actually speaking. Her answer came when she threw herself on Chaeyeon’s arms and hugged her tightly.

“I’d be really stupid to reject you.” She said on her ear.

“So that means…?” The dancer asked dumb folded while the older girl separated their hug rolling her eyes at how slow the taller girl could be sometimes. She decided then to be more forward with her answer and leaned in kissing her lips.

“Is that a good answer?” She asked smirking as she pulled away from the kiss.

“I… I think you’ll have to answer again for me to fully understand.” She smiled meeting the smaller girl halfway this time and kissing her again sweetly. She felt like she could explode at any moment from the rush of sensations inside of her. The warmth she felt on her cheeks when she met Eunbi had now fully spread to her heart.

 

Blue, the first time I cried because of you

Like an ocean with an unknown depth

It was drawn so blue

Do you remember?

 

“Chaeyeon please open this door!” Eunbi called from outside the dancer’s dorm. “Just let me explain.” She tried softer.

“Go away!” Was the answer.

“No! I’m not leaving until you open this door and talk to me.” The door busted open and instead of her girlfriend Eunbi met Hyewon’s glare.

“What the hell did you do Kwon? Why is she crying?” She inquired.

“I did nothing Hyewon! It was a misunderstanding but she doesn’t let me explain!” She was desperate and Hyewon could see that.

“Okay look, I’m gonna let you in so you two can talk. Whatever it was that happened just fix it.” She told the smaller girl.

“Thank you Hye.” She let out a sigh. “Thank you so much.” She was hugging Hyewon now almost crying from relief.

“Yeah yeah okay. Just go in there and fix this. I’ll be at Sakura’s.” She said before making her way out. Eunbi took a deep breath before entering the place.

“Chae?” The place was dark but she could make out her girlfriend’s shadow on her bed and she could hear her sniffing.

“Go away! I don’t want to talk to you right now.” She said from under her covers.

“Chaeyeon please let me explain! You’re being unfair!” Eunbi pleaded with the younger girl.

“Well you were unfair to me when you kissed that girl!” The dancer was soon on her feet and Eunbi could see her puffy face.

“I did not kiss her! She was the one who kissed me but I pushed her away.” She tried to explain for the hundredth time.

“That wasn’t what I saw.” Chaeyeon insisted, the vision of her girlfriend with her lips attached to some other girl still fresh on her mind.

“You clearly didn’t saw all of it then.” A bit of sarcasm laced her tone.

“I saw enough.” The same sarcasm was thrown back at her.

“Chaeyeon look I didn’t kiss Yeonwoo okay? She tried flirting with me I cut her off, she didn’t take the hint; when I was about to tell her once again to back off she suddenly jumped onto me and kissed me!” The older girl tried to be as patient as she could. “I pushed her way a soon as I realized the situation you just happened to get there at the wrong time.” The dancer scoffed.

“Yeah I’m sure it was the wrong time.” She replied sarcastic. “Maybe I should’ve just got there later.” Eunbi did not like the insinuation on Chaeyeon’s tone.

“Are you insinuating I was cheating on you? Do you seriously lack trust on me that much to actually believe I would cheat on you?” She was angry now.

“I go to your classroom to pick you up and when I get there I see some girl wrapped around your neck kissing you.” The tears were back now. “What do you want me to think Eunbi?” She was frustrated and angry at this whole situation.

“We’ve been dating for a month now Chaeyeon; the least I expect from you is to trust me!” The arts major was the one tearing up now. “When did I ever give you any reasons to doubt my feelings for you?” In a whole month of their relationship this was the first time they fought.

“I don’t doubt your feelings!” She countered. “It’s just that… it’s hard going against something that I saw so clearly! What did you want me to think!?” The younger girl felt lost.

“I simply wanted you to trust me! Hell you didn’t even gave me time to explain; you simply ran off and locked yourself in here. If it wasn’t for Hyewon I would still be outside.” She raised her voice. “My feelings should be clear for you… most important, who I am should be clear for you. I would never do that to you Chaeyeon, never.” A few tears were running down her face now but she didn’t care.

“Eunbi…” Guilt was starting to make her way inside of taller girl.

“No!” She interrupted. “Just don’t say anything. I’m the one who doesn’t want to hear now.” She turned around ready to leave.

“Where are you going!? Let’s talk.” The sobbing girl asked.

“As you said earlier I don’t want to talk to you right now.” She said going towards the door; right before opening she continued. “If you really don’t trust me that much ask Yena, she was there and she saw everything; maybe on her you’ll believe.” With that she left the dorm leaving behind a crying Chaeyeon wrapped around her blankets and Eunbi’s blue Hoodie.

 

One Layer, Two layers getting painted like watercolors

Here and there, getting engraved like a tattoo

Every spot you pass by gets colored with a different memory

Thicker and thicker like the black night

 

It’s been two days. Two days since Chaeyeon saw Eunbi storm off her dorm after their fight. The worst two days Chaeyeon ever lived. She missed her girlfriend; well she hoped she could still address the older girl like that. After the arts major left she doesn’t know how long she cried; When Hyewon came back to the dorm the dancer could barely explain what happened and her friend tried her best to comfort her and she ended up crying herself to sleep. The next day she didn’t felt like getting out of bed at all; her eyes were red and puffy, her hair a mess, her head hurt and she felt like she was too weak to even walk properly. The only reason she dragged herself to college was because she needed to see Yena and ask her about the whole situation, and just maybe she had some hope in seeing Eunbi at the campus; she didn’t. When she asked Yena about her she just said that the older girl weren’t at the campus today; that made her feel worse and she didn’t show up to the rest of her classes opting to just go back to her dorm and sulk forgetting to even speak to Yena about what happened in that classroom. But sulking wasn’t all she did though; she took that time to think; think about their relationship and about how great Eunbi was. She was sure she had never felt a happy as she did this past month they’ve been together; Eunbi always made her smile, she was caring always making sure she was okay, she would always listen to Chaeyeon and make sure she felt loved and taken care of. She simply made her happy. The dancer never saw the older girl look at any other girl but her, she made her feel special like she was the only girl in the world. She couldn’t say the same for the others; she noticed that many girls and boys would look at her girlfriend; Eunbi was such a head turner, everywhere she’d go she’d attract attention and that would make the younger girl jealous but the brunette would always tell her that she had nothing to worry about. The world might have their eyes on her but; she only had her eyes on Chaeyeon. Eunbi was the best thing that happened in her life and she would not lose that. The next day she was determinate to talk to Yena and go find Eunbi to solve this whole mess.

“Chaeyeon-ah!” She heard as soon as she appeared at Yena’s classroom door; she was about to answer the duck lookalike when she noticed the short brunette staring at her. Chaeyeon wasn’t stupid, she knew she there was a huge possibility of meeting Eunbi since her and Yena were both on the graphic design course. She just wasn’t prepared to face her; she wasn’t really sure of what to expect to see from Eunbi when she looked into her eyes; sadness, maybe anger, hopefully love; but she what she saw was different, she looked disappointed. All she could see on her eyes was disappointment and hurt; that made her confused. As soon as she opened to talk to the older girl she went pass her and stormed off the classroom leaving her and a stunned Yena behind. “You’re two still fighting I see.” Yena said uncomfortable. “Did you came here to see her?” She asked feeling bad for her friend.

“Actually no.” She answered still looking back at Eunbi’s retreating form. “I’m here to talk to you, to ask you something.” She finally looked back at Yena.

“What is it?” She asked curious while Chaeyeon once again looked back at where Eunbi was.

“Well…” She started. ‘Maybe on her you’ll believe.’ Eunbi’s words from that night suddenly popped on her head making her freeze on the spot.

“I’m waiting…” The duck girl said trying to get the dancer’s attention. The tall dancer just sighed making her decision.

“You know what Yena? Nevermind; it doesn’t matter.” She looked back at Yena and smiled at her friend. “I need to do something really important right now so I’ll catch up with you later.” She shouted running out the classroom leaving a confused girl with pouty lips behind.

 

Eunbi was nowhere in sight. Chaeyeon looked for her at the arts room, the cafeteria, the music lounge and any other place she knew Eunbi liked to hang out; no luck. She sat down at a bench and sighed. The dancer smiled to herself remembering the day Eunbi made her dance at the park while she played guitar. ‘Of course!’ She had an idea of where the girl might be now so she ran towards the park.

Chaeyeon sighed in relief when she found the arts major sitting at their usual bench. She looked distressed and deep in thought but still beautiful with the afternoon sun hitting her face; the dancer smiled walking towards her.

“Is this seat taken?” She asked from beside the older girl. Eunbi simply shook her head and motioned with her hand for Chaeyeon to sit.

“So Yena told you the truth?” The short girl asked as soon as the dancer sat down.

“No” She simply answered.

“No?” The older girl was confused.

“I didn’t ask her” She explained.

“You didn’t?” The taller shook her head. “Why not?” She asked again.

“Because I don’t need it coming from her to believe.” Eunbi looked at her this time and Chaeyeon held her hand feeling relieved when the artist didn’t pull away. “And to answer the question you made me that night… never.” The brunette jut looked at her confused. “You never gave me reasons to doubt you or your feelings.” She said looking into Eunbi’s eyes. “I’m sorry. I was just insecure I guess.” She sighed looking at the ground.

“It’s okay to be insecure sometimes Chae.” She reassured her girlfriend like she would always do. “But talk to me; don’t push me away or runaway from me.” She pleaded. “Tell me when something bothers you, or if I’m the reason to any insecurity you might have; tell me so I can fix it and be a better girlfriend to you.” Chaeyeon just nodded and looked back at Eunbi both teary eyed.

“Can I kiss you now? Cause I missed you like crazy this past two days.” The dancer asked still hesitant.

“Of course you can idiot.” With that she closed the space between the two of them.

“We’re okay now right?” Chaeyeon asked breaking the kiss.

“We are.” Eunbi reassured.

“I never want to fight with you again.” The tall girl whined hugging her girlfriend.

“We will fight again Chae, that’s part of any relationship.” The painter said caressing her hair. “But we have to learn how to work things out.”

“As long as we go back to each other I’m fine with it then.” She stared lovingly into Eunbi’s eyes before kissing her again none of them caring about anything else at the moment but each other.

 

Keep painting me with more memories

Hurry and paint me with only your scent

So it can’t be erased

So no one else but you can draw in my heart

 

Two months. That’s how long they’ve been dating. They’ve been inseparable.

“You two are gross!” Came the protest from Eunbi’s friend Nako. “Feeding each other? Really? And right in front of me.” She leaned back into her chair with a disgusted face.

“Oh please is it that all jealousy of your precious Eunbi unnie?” Teased Chaeyeon.

“What if it is?” The small girl said defying.

“Don’t start the two of you.” Eunbi said rolling her eyes; it was always like that when Nako and Chaeyeon were together.

“She started!” They both protested at the same time.

“Big babies.” The painter said annoyed.

“Don’t tell me they’re bickering again.” The newcomer said before sitting down next to Nako.

“Unnie they’re being gross in front of me!” The small girl complained hugging her friend’s arm.

“Ew! I’m glad I missed that.” She scrunched her face in disgust. “Poor Nako had to witness that. It’s okay Chaewon unnie is here to protect you.” The redhead said patting Nako’s head.

“You say that until Minju gets here.” Eunbi friend. “Where’s she by the way?” She asked curious.

“Her mom asked her to pick up Wonyoung from school and drop her off at home, she’ll be here soon.” She explained.

“I’ll be stuck with two couples? Great.” The short girl said pouting.

“Don’t be so pouty Nako-yah, I’ll buy you ice cream later.” Eunbi promised and the girl’s eyes lit up.

“I want it too!” Chaeyeon whined.

“Anything for you baby.” The brunette responded giving her girlfriend a peck; that made the pair across from them let out a loud ‘eeew’.

“What’s so gross?” Asked a puzzled Minju joining the group.

“Them!” Nako and Chaewon answered together.

“But I think they’re cute” The pretty girl said dreamily.

“But we’re cuter right?” Her girlfriend asked.

“I’m seriously thinking about going home right now!” The short girl complained defeated.

“Sorry Nako-yah, I promise we’ll behave.” Minju said patting her head. “Right guys?” She turned to the other couple only to find them whispering and giggling to each other. “Guys!” She called their attention startling them and bursting their little bubble.

“Yeah yeah Minju is right!” Eunbi said in a hurry.

“Totally!” Chaeyeon agreed. Nako and Chaewon just rolled their eyes at them while Minju just giggled.

“So are you guys coming to Nayeon’s hang out at her house next Saturday?” Chaewon asked curious.

“Hang out? She’s throwing a huge party; almost half of the campus has been invited already.” Chaeyeon said.

“Whatever as long as there’s drinks.” Nako said looking at her phone bored making everyone look at her. “What? Just because I’m small doesn’t mean I’m actually a child!” She complained making them laugh.

“So you guys coming or what?” Chaewon asked again.

“Sure!” “No” The couple answered at the same time.

“You don’t want to go?” Eunbi asked turning to her girlfriend.

“You know I’m not really into those wild college parties baby.” Chaeyeon answered frowning.

“Oh I guess we’re not coming then.” The artist said turning her attention back to Chaewon.

“Oh come on Eunbi! We haven’t been to a party since forever!” The redhead complained to her friend.

“True” Nako said without looking up from her phone.

“Babe It’s fine you can go I’ll just sleep early.” The dancer said.

“No it’s fine.” She reassured. “Besides, it’ll be boring without you.” She said pouting.

“Ouch” Chaewon complained.

“Whipped” Nako teased.

“Oh come on guys it will be fun!” Minju tried to convince them. “We can all meet up at Sakura’s and go together with the whole gang.” She said excited.

“Nah, we’ll pass this time.” Eunbi said convicted. “Next time though.” She reassured.

“Lies” Nako said without looking at them. “You guys really need to work on this glue between you.”

“And how about you and your glue on your phone?” The painter teased back.

“Yeah who are you talking to anyway?” Minju asked curious.

“Hitomi” Eunbi answered for her. “She’s my roommate and they’ve been texting non stop ever since I gave her Nako’s number.”

“Yeah she’s nice; I think I’ll trade you for her as best friend.” She provoked.

“You wouldn’t dare Yabuki!” The brunette said shocked.

“Watch” the small girl teased again making everyone laugh and Eunbi sulk.

 

 

A few hours later the couple were at Eunbi’s dorm room. The older was sketching something and the blond was texting Hyewon.

“Hey Eun.” Chaeyeon called receiving a hum as an answer. “Hyewon wants to know if we’re up to hang out at Sakura’s”

“Sorry babe I can’t I have to finish a few sketches for tomorrow.” She apologized.

“Okay I’ll tell her we’ll be there next time.” She said immediately texting back her friend.

“You should go if you want to.” The painter said turning her attention towards her girlfriend.

“No I rather stay here and watch you draw.” The dancer said resting her chin on her hands having her attention on the older girl.

“Oh am I that interesting?” Eunbi asked raising an eyebrow.

“You have no idea.” Chaeyeon answered with a wink making Eunbi smile and go back to her drawing; both of them simply enjoying each others presence.

 

It’s alright if it turns blacker and blacker

Our memories

It’s getting thicker and thicker like espresso

Still, keep painting me

Don’t stop

Without you it’s pointless

 

Just as Eunbi said they’ve fought again, many times actually; but they always manage to set things straight between them. Sometimes they would fight for silly things…

 

“All I’m saying is that I just want to hang out with you at home today.” Chaeyeon’s voice came from the small dorm kitchen. “We always go out, I thought it would be nice to just stay in today; maybe watch a movie.” The dancer said trying to convince the older girl.

“But it’s a beautiful day outside how can we miss that.” Eunbi countered. “So many things to do outside, and inside is just… boring…” She finished.

“Boring? I like staying in, am I boring too Eunbi?” The blonde asked crossing her arms.

“You know that’s not what I meant Chaeyeon.” She sighed.

“If you want to go out so much then go, do as you want I don’t care.” She said clearly irritated turning her back and going back to the kitchen.

“Oh come on you seriously going to fight me because of something I didn’t even do?” Eunbi followed her.

“Who’s fighting? I’m just saying that if you think being here with me is so boring you should go and do what you want.” She said nonchalantly while looking inside the cabinets.

“I don’t think staying with you is boring okay? I just prefer staying with you outside doing something fun rather than being confined inside the dorm the whole day.” The painter answered leaning against the counter.

“Well I like to be ‘confined’ sometimes you know?” She was getting frustrated. “And also I just want to watch a movie and cuddle with my girlfriend is that too much to ask?” She finally turned to Eunbi.

“Okay fine! We stay in and watch as many movies as you want.” The shorter girl said throwing up her hands in surrender; she really didn’t wanted to turn this into a serious argument. “Happy now? You better have Sprite.” She said grumpily walking towards the room while the blonde just smiled victorious. “And make popcorn!” She yelled back. Chaeyeon knew she would have to deal with grumpy Eunbi the whole afternoon but nothing that a few kisses and some cans of sprite couldn’t solve.

 

 

Sometimes for more serious reasons…

 

“Who the hell is Changbin?” Eunbi asked trying to control her anger.

“Changbin?” She asked confused.

“Yeah, the guy that was messaging you calling you ‘babe’ and asking when were you guys going to meet up.” The painter said sarcastic.

“He’s just a friend from my class okay” The blonde explained.

“A friend that calls you ‘babe’?” The anger on the older girl’s voice was evident now.

“He calls everyone like that Eunbi.” The dancer tried to convince her girlfriend. “He’s just a very friendly guy.” She said.

“Very friendly indeed…” Was the sarcastic answer.

“Wait a minute… were you going through my phone?” The taller asked incredulous.

“No! Your phone lit up with a new message and I simply looked at it; now imagine my surprise when I saw ‘Changbinie’ being all ‘Hey babe, when are we meeting up?’ to my girlfriend?” She was beyond mad now. “So of course I had to check.”

“And you simply unlocked my phone and went through it without my permission?” Now Chaeyeon snapped.

“What you wanted me to do?” Eunbi snapped back at her.

“Ask me before making your own conclusions?” The dancer couldn’t believe the situation they were in, was Eunbi really thinking she had something with Changbin? “He’s a friend from dance class and yes we’re supposed to meet up because I’m tutoring him!”

“Still no need for him to be calling you ‘babe’.” She insisted.

“Oh for God’s sake Eunbi It means nothing! As I said before he’s like that to everyone.” The blonde explained again.

“Well I don’t like knowing that some guy is calling my girlfriend in such an intimate way okay?” She snapped again.

“Look, I’ll overlook the fact that you totally violated my privacy and are freaking out because of a simple nickname; Can’t we just leave that behind?” Chaeyeon asked with a tired sigh. “I’m tired and I don’t want to fight.” She pleaded.

“Oh so I’m simply freaking out because of a nickname?” She asked sarcastic. “Yes I’m jealous and yes I shouldn’t have gone through your phone without permission but you are simply disregarding my feelings right now.” The shorter girl had to admit that seeing Chaeyeon being so nonchalant about the situation hurt her a little.

“Well Eunbi we’re yelling at each other because of a misunderstood message a friend sent me and I really don’t see the point in keep this going.”

“Fine then!” She said getting up from the bed. And looking for her backpack.

“Where are you going?” Chaeyeon asked alarmed.

“Back to my dorm.” She said angry.

“Eunbi let’s just sleep okay? We’re both tired right now and we can deal with this tomorrow.” The dancer tried to convince the fuming girl.

“Message Changbinie maybe he wants to sleep with you!” With that she just slammed the door shut while Chaeyeon simply stared at it incredulous.

 

Or even more serious reasons…

 

‘The number you have dialed…’ Chaeyeon sighed for the hundredth time that night. It was already pretty late and she’d been trying to reach Eunbi but got no answer on her phone; she tried calling Hitomi to see if her girlfriend was hanging with her roommate but the Japanese girl was hanging with Nako tonight and was sleeping at her house; she tried Yena but she was out with Yuri, same thing with Hyewon.

It was Friday night and like every other Friday night Eunbi would come over and sleep at Chaeyeon’s dorm. But she had arrived from class a few hours ago and still no sign of the artist; she was worried and frustrated. Many different scenarios started playing in her head but stopped when she heard someone knock at her door.

“Chae I’m so sorry!” Was the first thing she heard when the door was opened. There stand her girlfriend unharmed and with a guilty look on her face. “My phone died and I ended up loosing track of time, I’m sorry.” She said in a hurry passing by Chaeyeon while entering the dorm.

“Okay slow down.” The dancer said closing the door behind her. “I was worried Eunbi! Where the hell have you been?” She asked.

“Well, you know that big project me and my group were working on? So we’ve finally finished and decided to celebrate, so we went to a bar near the campus.” She explained tossing her backpack on the ground near Chaeyeon’s bed.

“I can’t believe this.” The blonde said pinching the bridge of her nose in a clear sign of irritation. “And here I was worried about you when you ditched me.” She scoffed crossing her arms.

“Wait a second. I did not ditched you!” Eunbi said

“You were with them and not with me on our Friday night. Yeah you ditched me.” The taller said sarcastic.

“Oh so I can’t hang out with my friends that I’m suddenly ditching you?” The artist was frustrated.

“Do you know how long I was waiting for you? Do you know how worried I was when you didn’t show up?” The dancer was irritated.

“I’ve lost track of time!” The shorter girl raised her voice.

“You could’ve just called!” Chaeyeon snapped.

“My phone died! I’ve told you already but you just refuse to listen to me as always!” Eunbi was beyond frustrated now.

“Well this could have been avoided if you just had come home on time!”

“Well maybe I wanted to hang out with my friends!”

“It’s our Friday night we were supposed to be together!”

 “Well maybe that’s the problem Chaeyeon!” She snapped. “We are always together! When was the last time you hang out with Hyewon? Or Sakura? Or Yena? The last time you visited your sister?” She let out a frustrated sigh. “I just don’t feel like an individual anymore.” Chaeyeon was taken back by this.

“W-What do you mean?” A million things were going through her mind right now.

“I mean that I miss my friends. Most important, I miss myself. I miss having time for me.” She spoke softer this time.

“You’re saying that I don’t give you enough space? Do I make you feel suffocated?” The younger girl’s voice trembled.

“It’s not that… it’s just…” The arts major let out a tired breath. “It’s the both of us; we’ve been so engrossed with each other this past months we’ve been dating that we’ve forgot how to live outside our relationship.” She tried to explain as best as she could. “The only people we hang out with it’s each other, even when our friends are with us we stay in our own bubble and that’s just not healthy.”

“Y-You want to break up with me?” The dancer was in the verge of tears now.

“No Chaeyeon that’s not what I’m saying. We just need to tone it down a little I guess… give each other more space.” They both fell silent at that.

“Where are you going? I thought you were sleeping here.” The taller asked seeing the brunette getting her backpack going past by her towards the door.

“I just need some time and space right now. I think we both do.” With that she got out. Chaeyeon just let out a frustrated sigh sitting on her bed; soon the tears came and she couldn’t help but think she had messed up and lost Eunbi, all kinds of bad thoughts were running through her mind right now.

 

 

Fill me up so there are no empty spaces

 

“So you’re coming over tonight?” Chaeyeon asked hopeful.

“I don’t know… This end of semester is killing me.” The voice on the other side of the phone said tired. “But I’ll try to make it okay?”

“Okay Eun. I understand.” The dancer said.

 

It’s been a month since they fought, one month since it was decided they would give each other more space; one whole month full of awkward texts and calls; one whole month full of distance and uncertainty.

In the first week after the fight they barely spoke; Eunbi wanted space and Chaeyeon tried to give it to her. They decided to meet up to talk things through; they made up but things weren’t the same as before; there was a certain hesitation in the air and something as simple as holding Eunbi’s hand felt awkward for Chaeyeon; the girl didn’t knew when was too much. They both agreed on not spending so much time together like they did before and they wouldn’t sleep over the other’s dorm room so often anymore. Eunbi spent more time with her friends from her art class and Chaeyeon would hang out with some new friends from her dance class.

They still did couple things of course; Eunbi still took her on dates by the lake and Chaeyeon still surprised her with some macarons when she finished class. They’d hold hands when walking at the park, they’d kiss under the stars, they’d cuddle while watching movies, they would do everything they did before; but now the walks in the park were shorter and so were the surprise visits at the artist’s class, the dates were filled with silence, the hand holding felt awkward sometimes, the kisses not as sweet and passionate as before, the cuddles not as warm.

Suddenly there was a line that both of them were afraid to cross. The feelings were still there, they both knew that, but it was not the same, they both knew that too. Two months had passed like this but still they’ve danced around each other in a constant push and pull.

Eunbi was free spirit; she liked to go out and meet see people, she liked to discover new places, she had a big circle of friends and she loved to hang out with all of them; Eunbi was an artist ready to pour out all of her colors. Chaeyeon was a simple girl; she liked staying at home, she liked watching movies, she liked staying in her room while listening to some music; Chaeyeon was a simple white canvas. Only now they started to realize they differences.

 

“You’re going already?” The dancer asked when her girlfriend got up from her comfortable position on her bed.

“Yeah I promised Hitomi I would go out with her to have some dinner, she needs some advice from me.” Eunbi answered simply.

“Is everything okay with her?” The taller asked worried.

“It doesn’t seem too bad, I hope I’m right.” She said putting on her backpack.

“I see. Well, see you tomorrow on campus then.” The dancer said trying to sound cheerful.

“You better bring me some macarons.” The artist joked leaning down to press a kiss on her girlfriend’s lips. A kiss as short as the time they’ve spent together that day.

 

Why they still tried? When they knew they were so different; when there was no in between for them; they were either too hot or too cold. So why try? Eunbi was an artist, Chaeyeon was a canvas; they needed each other.

 

“Do you still love me?” The question filled the silence that had become routine for them.

“Of course I do.” Was the almost automatic answer. Almost.

 

But was love enough?

 

“I love you Chae.” Eunbi whispered in her ear sleepily and safely tucked on the dancer’s arms.

“I love you too Eun.” Chaeyeon answered kissing her head and closing her eyes.

 

No, it wasn’t. But Chaeyeon needed Eunbi’s colors; she needed her vibrant yellow; she needed her intense red; she needed her soft blue; she even needed her cold black. She just needed colors and she had her painter to give them to her.

 

Only you are my painter…