Five

Counting Fireflies

Hayun woke up alone, buried under a pile of furs. The fireplace was roaring with a strong fire, and it seemed as though it had just been made. She slowly sat up, and placed her feet on the floor, surprised she felt no pain. Was it all just a bad dream? No, she realized. It was the work of Jimin. She felt fine, a little drained but that was all. The healer's abilities were truly those of a fae's...

She hurried into the passageway with the intention of finding the healing fae to thank him. Not knowing where he would be, she went in the opposite direction of where the passage led outside. Sure enough, she soon heard voices, and followed to them to find the three fae and the nymph seated around a large wooden table in a room that was obviously a kitchen.

They all turned their heads, maybe having heard her footsteps or sensing her presence. Only Jimin broke into a warm smile. "You're awake! How do you feel?"

"Thank you so much - I feel amazing," Hayun said. "Like nothing had been-"

"Let's go, Minmin," Taehyung cut in, glaring at her coldly. "We have been in here long enough, it's time for you to rest."

"Alright, Taetae." The little fae smiled at Taehyung and readily wrapped his arms around the taller fae to be carried out the room, his face resting on Taehyung's shoulder.

"He's just a little sensitive," Jungkook explained. "Healing is not an easy task, and Jimin outdid himself this time. Come, take a seat."

"Is he not feeling well?" Hayun asked, guilty.

"He's just drained and needs some rest."

"Yeah, and an extra-large dose of his Taetae," Seokjin added with a chuckle.

"Who needs Taetae?" a new voice said. Hayun knew right away he was also a fae - his voice was bright and energetic, and he had the same aura as the other three. Except his seemed brighter - it took her a second to realize there was actually a soft glow radiating off him.

"Jimin does," Jungkook replied.

"Oh, of course - why did I even ask?" The fae laughed, and it sounded so pure and joyful Hayun could not help but smile.

"Hello, human!" the fae exclaimed, taking seat opposite her. "I'm Hoseok, in charge of flowers! Finally we meet! I heard all about you and your mischief, Seokjin is still very upset you did not put away the soap and ignored him and-"

"I am not!" the nymph protested.

"I am sorry," said Hayun. "I am sorry for causing a mess."

"Next time put the soap away," Seokjin said. "And also let the dragon rinse you properly because I don't trust you to clean yourself enough to enter my pond."

Hayun was sorry and wanted to make it up, but that was going too far. She did not say anything for now, and just nodded, hoping Seokjin would let it slide when she rinsed herself.

"There are so many daisies now," Hoseok said happily. "Jimin loves daisies, you know. He loves wearing flower crowns made of daisies."

"Could I make him a flowe crown?" asked Hayun. "T-to thank him for healing me."

Hoseok smiled so brightly the soft glow he emitted increased, and it seemed infectious - everyone smiled now. "This human is bright, she takes a hint so well! Of course you can! Eat something and then I will show you where the daisies are."

Hayun followed him to the stove, and he urged her to take a very generous serving of stew and rice - to her surprise. She had expected them to eat something else...

"Joon finished all the meat," Seokjin said, washing up in the sink. "Rude creature."

"Why am I not surprised. That's all he eats!" Hoseok laughed.

"Don't blame him, he's a dragon, he can't help it," Jungkook said in what seemed to be an imitation of the dragon.

"Well at least he isn't setting things on fire anymore," Seokjin said.

"Oh, that was really something! Remember when he accidentally set Yoongi's tree caught fire? Seokjin had to do some quick nymph magic to set it out!" Jungkook banged his fist on the table at the hilarity of the memory.

"I had to follow him around for ages to put out the fires!" Seokjin tried to sound annoyed but he laughed.

Hayun laughed too, even though thinking about a dragon accidentally setting things on fire was terrifying. It was comical to imagine the nymph following and scolding him for it, though.

Seokjin and Jungkook excused themselves to go check up on Jimin, and Hoseok chatted away about the flowers and how he was going to ask Jungkook to get the bunnies away from a certain patch of flowers that haven't bloomed yet. "I want them to bloom first! Then maybe the bunnies can have a bite."

He chattered non stop as they washed and put away their bowls, and as they went through the passageway and outside. He led her through a thicket of bushes to a beautiful patch of daisies, larger and brighter than any she had ever seen before.

"See, they are sunshine kissed!" Hoseok explained proudly, plopping down in the velvety grass. "I don't mean to brag but I think I did a good job with these!"

Hayun sat down, and admired the bright yellow middles and snowy white petals. "They are beautiful," she said. "They are the most beautiful daisies I have ever seen."

The flower fae seemed to glow even more.

"Is this place all yours?" Hayun asked.

"Yes! I'm in charge of the flowers, and bushes. Yoongi  and I often work together because he is in charge of trees! So for things like apple trees, he especially needs my help to make the flowers bloom and then become apples!" Hoseok explained happily as Hayun picked daisies and started threading the stems together.

"Whoa! Jimin will love that crown!" Hoseok said enthousiastically. "Make me one too!"

Hayun laughed, and quickly finished the crown and plopped it on top of the fae's head, who clapped his hands and laughed in delight. "That was fast! You are so good at flower crowns!"

"My cousin taught me," said Hayun, picking more flowers to make another crown. "She loves flower crowns too, and it's one of the rare things I'm good at."

"Very good at! You are almost as good as Taehyung!"

"What kind of fae is Taehyung?"

"Oh, there isn't a word for it but he is a genius - he can build everything. He built our home! And he is the best at cooking, and he can invent anyting you want. He invented soap that's good for nymphs! And liquid soap that turns the water bubbly and sparkly! Joon especially likes that, he likes to gather all the bubbles and make shapes from them. So, Taehyung is a creative fae, I suppose we can say." Hoseok seemed only too happy to explain. "Oh, and Jungkook is an animal fae! He is especially good with rabbits - he was raised by rabbits, you know. So - oh, Joonie! You found us!"

Hayun stiffened, and turned around to see the dragon watching them with a smile on his face. "What are you doing?"

"She is making a flower crown for Jimin as a thank you present!" Hoseok announed, and pointed to the one on his head. "Look! She made this! Isn't it so pretty?"

"It is very pretty," Namjoon agreed, joining them on the grass. "And very nice of you to make him that."

"I was telling her that Kookie was raised by rabbits!" Hoseok informed him.

"Oh, yes, Kookie and rabbits." The dragon smiled fondly. "Maybe one day Kookie will tell the rabbits here about you and they will-"

"They will come and cuddle and snuggle!" Hoseok burst in, as though he could not contain his excitment. "And you could make the rabbits flower crowns, too!"

Hoseok was like a magnet of sunshine and happiness and excitment - he drew all of those things out of Hayun like a magnet and she was positively beaming as she finished the crown. She spotted the way the dragon was looking at it admiringly, and on impulse, and probably because of the flower fae's sunny influence, she held it out to him. "You can have this!"

"R-really?" he asked, violet eyes wide in surprise. "I can?"

"You deserve a thank you present too!" The flower fae cheered.

Yes. The dragon did deserve a thank you for bringing her from the mountain. And for not eating her and just being very kind in general.

"It's a thank you present," Hayun confirmed. "For everything."

"Oh, but... but... I did something bad." The dragon looked apologetic. "I changed your robes even though you told me not to. Because of the rain and your fever."

He looked so sorry it made her feel almost guilty. Hayun placed the flower crown on his head. "Well, thank you for saving me that night, and taking care of me."

"A-are you not angry?" The dragon gently brought his hand up to his head to touch the daisies. "I am sorry, but I did not want to leave you in wet clothes."

"Why??? What's the problem?" Hoseok demanded, confused.

"She does not like to be changed," the dragon explained. "But I did it anyway."

"Why???"

"Ask Yoongi. It's something about the mind and the type of human, he can tell you. Anyway, I am sorry, I won't do it again."

Hayun smiled. He looked so harmless right now, especially with a crown of daisies. "It's alright, I understand - it was an emergency."

He nodded. "Yes, an emergency." He touched the flower crown again, a wide smile stretching his face, two deep dimples appearing on both his cheeks. "I like this thank you present."

"Now make Jimin's!" Hoseok exclaimed.

"Do you think Taehyung will want one?" the dragon asked. "They are so pretty."

"Hmm.... well maybe he would want one!" the flower fae said thoughtfully. "And Jungkook?"

"Yes, Jungkook will want one," the dragon agreed.

Hayun could not help but laugh. "Hey, this is not a flowershop!"

"Well Seokjin should have an apology present," Hoseok pointed out. "He was very upset you left the soap on the ground too close to his water. He turned purple in rage."

Hayun's eyes widened. "P-purple?"

"Purple," Namjoon confirmed.

"Well... I should make him one too then," Hayun said.

"And Yoongi? So he won't feel left out?" the dragon asked.

Hoseok nodded. "Oh, yes! He will be sad if we all have one and he doesn't."

"Alright, flower crowns for everyone," Hayun agreed, and the other two helped her find the six fairyfolk to deliver their presents.

Yoongi seemed a bit overwhelmed at receiving a gift out of the blue, and smiled shyly when Hoseok put it on him and exclaimed how pretty he was. Seokjin turned bright pink and spluttered about how everyone makes mistakes, and demanded to know who was prettier, the flowers or him (and of course, they all said the nymph was prettier. In Hayun's opinion, he really was). Jungkook was found helping birds build their nests, and when he put it on with a delighted smile that showed off teeth that looked very much like those of a bunny's, a bird immediately settled in the middle of the crown, probably thinking it would be a very good nest.

Taehyung was giving Jimin a piggy back ride to the pool, and the healing fae smiled so hard his eyes crinkled into two little lines of pure joy. "A flower crown!" he exclaimed. "This is so beautiful, thank you! Look, Taetae, isn't this pretty? And see, you have one too!"

"Yes, they are pretty." Taehyung smiled slightly at Hayun, and she was relieved - it was good to know the fae didn't dislike her.

"Everyone has flower crowns now!" Hoseok said in satisfaction.

"Wow, you made one for everyone?" Jimin said, and his eyes crinkled up in laughter as he studied the dragon. "Joonie, you look so cute! Flowers suit you!"

The dragon touched his ear shyly as everyone agreed and Hoseok poked his cheek. The two fae said goodbye, and as they disappeared slowly, the dragon pretended to shiver. "Their bond gives me chills."

"But they didn't do anything bond-y just now." Hoseok frowned.

"Yes but just thinking of the bond they have and the way they act is enough to give me chills."

"W-what bond do they have?" Hayun asked, slightly alarmed that it would give a dragon chills.

"Soulmates," said Namjoon. "They don't even need words to communicate and they can sense the other's feelings."

"And when Jimin is drained after healing," Hoseok explained. "Taehyung also feels a bit drained because he can sense it from Jimin. So he gets grumpy at the person Jimin healed."

"Should I go later on and, well, maybe take care of Jimin for a while?" Hayun asked; after all, it was her fault the fae was so drained and stressing out Taehyung.

"NO!" they both said at the same time.

"Leave him to Taehyung," said the dragon. "They are the happiest when they are alone together."

"And don't worry about Jimin, he will be fine tomorrow," Hoseok added. "Especially since he is spending time with the person he loves the most. That recharges his energy more than anything else."

"Alright," said Hayun, a tiny part of her feeling envious that such bonds exist, and also surprised.

"Oh, did Namjoon show you the library?" Hoseok asked excitedly. "It's full of books! And recently he found something that makes music! None of us know how to use it properly so just play about with it. But surely you would know!" He looked at her expectantly, and so did the dragon.

Hayun bit her lip, knowing they expected her to be delighted that there was a library and something to make music with.

"I cannot read the books," the dragon said. "I do not know how to read your language. But they are pretty so I kept them. I hope they are the kind you would enjoy reading."

Hayun's face flushed with shame; until now, her status of a lowly peasant had completely slipped her mind as they all treated her like an equal. This simple thing reminded her that she neither knew how to read, or play a musical instrument. What would a peasant do with that knowledge?

"I do not know how to read, either," she said, embarrassed.

"How come?" Hoseok was bewildered. "Yoongi said all humans learn to read! They get people as children to teach them things, and-"

"Did you not have the chance to learn?" asked Namjoon gently.

"Why would a peasant girl need to read or write? We just go in the fields and grow the Lord's crops."

"Well, I am sure the books are not that interesting, after all," said Namjoon. "But their covers are pretty, and they have pretty pictures inside."

Hayun smiled slightly. "Is that why you kept them? Because they are pretty?"

"Yes, I like collecting pretty things."

"Treasure is the prettiest to him, though," Hoseok added.

Hayun remembered the way Namjoon  had removed her jewelry that first day here with a mixture of greed and reverence, and the way he had held each piece carefully.

"Your jewelry is in a small box next to your bed," the dragon said, as though reading her mind. "They are very pretty."

"M-my jewelry?" she stammered. "I do not have any..."

"Yes, you do - you had a lot when you first came here."

"They are not mine, though - I thought they were for you. I thought you took them..."

"I am not a thief!" The dragon sounded insulted.

"No, no, of course not," Hayun said quickly. "I just thought you took them, because they were for you after all."

"For me?"

"Yes, because we all know dragons love treasure. It is a gift from them."


"Well that is true to a certain extent... I like all pretty things, including treasure. But they were given to you and I would not feel right taking them."

"Well, consider them a gift from me, then." That was a far more fitting gift than a flower crown, she thought to herself. A thank you gift for not eating her. And anyway, they were intended for him originially.

"But don't you want to wear them?" he asked.

"Not really... I am not used to it," she said truthfully.

"Oh. You look especially beautiful wearing pretty treasures, though, and with emeralds braided in your hair..." There was a hint of disappointment in the dragon's voice, but Hayun was sure she was just imagining that, or confusing it for something else.

"How about you keep the treasure, Namjoon, and she can wear it whenever she likes?" Hoseok proposed.

Namjoon nodded, his flower crown nearly falling off. "Yes, that is a good idea!"

When Hoseok left and she and the dragon went to her room to get the jewelry, Hayun realized she was still wary of him, even though she tried not to be. Without the flower fae's sunny and happy presence, there was a lot more room for thoughts of doubt and fears.

Later, during supper, she ate quietly, Hoseok still absent. Taehyung and Jimin - still wearing the flower crowns - were feeding each other, whispering, and giggling softly as though no one else was around, entirely in their own world. The dragon and Jungkook were silent as well. Towards the end of the meal, Hoseok appeared with Yoongi and Seokjin in tow, breathlessly explaining there had been an emergency water-lily situation.

Everything got a lot more noisy and excited, and they explained they all divided into teams to cook three meals. "You can join us," Seokjin said. "Jungkook and I are in charge of lunch. You do know how to cook, right?"

Hayun nodded, and Seokjin seemed relieved. "Well even if you did not, we would have found something for you to do. Take Namjoon, for example - he cannot cook to save his own life, but he is an excellent hunter so he sticks to that."

"Jin!" the dragon whined. "I can cook!"

He was met with a loud "No!" from everyone, and Jin then proceeded to nag him about not eating vegetables. "You cannot live off just meat, even if you are a dragon!"

"I can," he said sulkily. "And you're one to talk! You insist on soup everyday-"

"Because I am a nymph! I need liquids!"

"Well I am a dragon and I need meat."

"Oh, stop!" Taehyung cried. "Nearly every meal it's the same story! At least today stop, you are bothering Jimin's energies with your bickering!"

"Tae!" Jimin exclaimed, as Seokjin looked at him suspiciously. "I'm fine, don't mind Tae, Jinnie."


Hayun tried not to laugh, and instead focused on listening to Hoseok speak to Jungkook very seriously about keeping the bunnies out of his flowers.

She helped Taehyung and Jimin with the cleaning up - the healing fae of course being nagged by the taller fae to go and rest.

"Nooo," Jimin whined. "I can't let my Taetae do all the work."

"The human is here," Taehyung said, hugging him. "And you are still tired! Don't lie that you are not because I can feel you are!"

Jimin pouted and protested some more, and as they stood there hugging each other and arguing, Hayun hurried up to finish so they could leave. It seemed as though they forgot she was even in the room with them, cleaning up! She was finished soon, and followed them out, shaking her head at the pair who were clinging to each other and now arguing about who loved the other the most.

It was only when she said goodbye to them that she realized her room was not even in this direction. The passageway was confusing... she turned around and headed in the direction she thought was the right one. Ah, it was, there was her door!

She froze, hearing the dragon's voice behind the door - he sounded distressed. This was not her door after all, she realized.

"Come and bathe in the stream, it will make you feel better," Seokjin's words were slightly muffled by the door. "Let's get that liquid fairy soap that makes bubbles that you like to play with, and I will make the water bubble up more than it ever has before."

"Will that be enough to wash the blood from me?"

"Oh, Namjoon..."

"What water will make it wash away, Seokjin? "

Hayun took a step backwards, knowing she shouldn't be eavesdropping like this - it felt wrong to intrude when the dragon seemed to be in a vulnerable state.

"They keep calling me a monster. All the humans, they all view me as a monster to kill. The human here does too, I know she does." The dragon's voice was shaky. "Till now I could comfort myself by knowing I have never harmed anyone, but soon I cannot do that. B-because.... because ... if I don't kill them, they will kill me - they will kill me and destroy this place and kill you all, too."

"You are just protecting your home, Joonie, it's-"

"I just want to collect pretty things and fly and explore but why are they making me turn into a monster? I will be turning into a monster for real and I hate it! I hate it, I hate it, I don't want to do this..." The dragon's words ended with a sob, and Hayun could hear the nymph murmur words of comfort as the dragon sobbed.

Although she was suddenly filled with an ache to comfort the dragon, she did not - she left to go outside in the bright moonlight. She did not know him well enough to be of any help, and his vulnerability took her completely by surprise.

Hayun never thought a dragon would sob for killing humans. Then again, everything she had ever heard about dragons was dead wrong - at least when it came to this dragon. She had never met anyone like him before.

"What are you doing?" Yoongi suddenly materialized in front of one of the large trees, and she jumped in shock.

"Oh! Um... I just wanted some fresh air..."

"Not running away, are you?" The dryad narrowed his eyes.

"No, I'm not!"

"I hope you don't cause any more trouble. Joon has enough on his plate, and Jimin is drained and needs to get his energy back up to heal the dragon if he needs it some time in the future. I doubt Taehyung will tolerate or allow Jimin to heal you another time if you run away and fall down the mountain again."

"I said I'm not running away!" Hayun said angrily.

"Let's trust her a bit, shall we?" a voice behind her said. Hayun spun around to see Hoseok lying down, in a bed of soft flowers, watching them peacefully. "Come here, dryad, the petals are very soft."

Yoongi frowned. "I-"

"Good night, human, please don't cause any mischief!" the fae said. "Why don't you go inside and sleep?"

He had a point. Hayun was dreadfully tired - she had not realized how tired she was after the fae reminded her. "That's a good idea... good night, you two."

Hoseok smiled and nodded, and beckoned Yoongi to come lie beside him. Just as Hayun was entering the dark passageway, she thought she heard Hoseok say "Yoongi- boongi, tickle monster attack!" in a high pitched voice.

Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks. How come she hadn't noticed how sleepy she was before Hoseok pointed it out? Had he put some spell on her to go and sleep? Hayun gulped. Spell or not, it was probably better to go inside unless she wanted a grumpy dryad on her case.

As she passed the dragon's room; neither Seokjin or the dragon's voices could be heard. She hesitated. Was... was the dragon all right now? It was oddly distressing to remember the way he had sobbed...

She heard footsteps approaching, and she hurried away, not wanting to be caught lurking outside someone's door.