CHAPTER 2

If You Met Me First

CHAPTER 2

 

“This is where I live.” Irene says when they reached the gate of their house

The stranger nodded “Go inside then. I’ll take my leave as soon you set your foot inside and I’m sure that you’re safe.”

Irene sighed in concerned “Seriously, you should go. It’s really getting too late.”

“I will as soon as you go inside.” The stranger says simply.

“Me standing here is already a hundred times safer than you so why don’t you make your way and I’ll look at you from here.”

“What if the bad guys suddenly jump on you as soon as I leave?”

“Do you hear or see any bad guys lurking around?” Irene asked looking around “I’m sure they’re not stupid enough to jump on me in front of my own house.”

The stranger made a deep sighed “Okay. Goodbye then” she said as she pulled her hand up and wave Irene a goodbye

“Oh my God!” Irene screamed when she saw blood on the strangers arm “You’re bleeding!”

“I must’ve scratched it earlier.” She shrugged looking at her arm.

Irene immediately opens her bag and took out her handkerchief as she wipes the strangers arm like it was a life and death situation.

The stranger grab her arm as she look at her reassuring her with a smile under the mask “I’ll live.”

“B-but you’re—“

The stranger took the handkerchief from Irene as she wiped her arm and showed her arm to Irene after “See, it’s just a small scratch. I’m really fine. But I can’t say the same for my shirt though.” She said seeing the ripped on her clothes “I must’ve ripped it on something when I pulled you but you don’t have to worry, we’ll both live.” She joked seeing the worried expression of Irene

“I better go now before you even think of calling cops.” The stranger said “Goodnight, Ms. Worrywart.”

“I-I’m Joohyun. Bae Joohyun.” Irene says awkwardly “And you?”

“You shouldn’t give out your name like that, especially to a stranger like me, it’s dangerous.”

“I don’t usually give it but I’m safe with you, right? That’s what you said.” Irene said repeating the strangers’ words from earlier “I feel safe with you.”

The stranger couldn’t help breaking into a smile “Yeah, you’re safe with me.” She said, making Irene smile too.

“Take care.” The stranger said as she starts walking away

“Y-You, what’s your name?” Irene asked

 

The stranger turns to look at her “I’d tell you when we meet again.”

//

 

 

\\

After 1 year

“Irene, will you be my date on Valentines ball?” A man asked while holding a bouquet of flower standing in front of Irene.

“I’m sorry.” Irene politely turned the man down in front of her and she walks pass him.

 

“That’s the third time today.” Joy said while walking beside Irene

“No, that’s the fourth.” Jennie replied

“Really?”

“Yeah, there’s one at the library too, you weren’t there.” Jennie told her as they reached the cafeteria

“They just keep coming these days.” Joy says as she sits down

“Ball is in what, three weeks so I’m not really that surprise.” Jennie shrugged

“But really Irene unnie, some of them are cute, why don’t you have fun a little?” Joy asked looking at Irene

“I don’t need to date cute boys to have fun Joy.” Irene answered simply “And you know me, I’m not really interested in dating right now, instead of wasting my time having fun with cute boys, I’d rather focus all of my energy in studying.”

Joy groaned “You’re so going to lose your mind if you don’t take your eyes off in your book even a little, I’m telling you.”

“I’m doing just fine, how about you dating those cute boys then?” She asked crossing her arm

“Nah, they’re too cute to be my type.”

Irene uncrossed her arm and takes out her notebooks from her bag and start writing.

“Are you sure you weren’t really just interested in dating or you’re still hung up about that woman you met a year ago?” Jennie asked, making Irene stopped from writing.

“What did you say about her again, a light in the dark night.” Joy smirk, teasing “That’s your word not mine.” She said in defense when Irene glared at her.

“Are you sure she really exists?” Jennie asked teasing “Because I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s just product of your wild imagination from reading too much book.”

“Exactly!” Joy beamed “That’s why I keep telling you to stop reading for a while and breathe a fresh air, have fun with someone whose here and real.”

“She’s real, okay.” Irene said firmly “She’s real.”

Joy and Jennie both sighed in frustration.

“I am so thankful for her for what she did for you that night and I already like her for you even if I haven’t met her yet, but she’s not here.” Joy said looking at Irene sympathetically “You’ve been keeping on coming back on that convenience store almost every day ever since that night, still nothing.”

“Maybe I already met her there and I just couldn’t recognize her because of her mask and cap that night and she’s just too shy to say hi because she doesn’t want to scare me out or anything.” Irene reasoned to Joy but more like to herself.

“Unnie, she saved you…” Jennie stated “Do you really think she’d feel like a creep if she’s going to say hi to a woman whose life she practically preserved? She’d be damn proud and rub it on your face.”

Irene couldn’t answer at that. She hates to admit it but Jennie was right.

“You know how I hate romance and all but I’m willing to all of this, Knight in shining armor and Damsel in distress you got in your life because I love you and I want you to be happy, but you don’t even know if you’re going to meet her again.” Jennie told her “You can’t just turn down everyone who shows affection and interest in you because of a woman who probably forgot you already or what happen that night.”

Irene laughed dryly masking the affliction it did to her heart “You two are reading too much into this, I’m not interested in dating or even if I am, I just haven’t met the right person to go on a date with, okay, not because of her or whatever idea you got running on your two beautiful head. I just want to tha—“

“Thank her for what she did, right?”

“Right! That’s what I’ve been telling you.” Irene said “I just want to thank her properly, like what you said, in preserving my life.”

“I wish that sounded more convincing unnie.” Joy said as she and Jennie walk towards the counter to buy a food.

Irene sighed “Yeah, me too.”

//

 

\\

Irene looked at her wristwatch, 9:15PM; it’s been three hours since she got at the convenience store, sitting on a chair that she’s been sitting on for a year now, looking at every person who’s stepping inside at the store.

Tomorrow marks a year when she was saved by that woman on that cold night and after that night she would come and wait here with a hope of meeting her again but all goes in vain. She sighed dejectedly when the last person who entered is an old man.

 

“Here…” A woman approached Irene and handed her an orange juice

Irene looked at the woman surprised “Jeongyeon-ssi…”

The woman smile as she sits beside Irene “To cheer you up… I could hear your disappointment from here to the counter.” She’s the daughter of the owner of the store, who is also the cashier for tonight and became close with Irene after coming at the store almost every day.

“Maybe she comes here in the morning.” Jeongyeon trying to lift Irene’s mood

“Thank you.” Irene smile, appreciating the gesture “Maybe.”

“I know it’s not my place and I admire your patience for waiting here like this but you’re throwing a punch blindly here.” Jeongyeon said “You don’t even know what she actually looks like.”

“I know… I just… I have a feeling that I’d recognize her once I meet her.” Irene said softly “I know, I would.”

//

 

\\

“Good morning.” Joy greeted when she saw Irene’s walks the gate of the school

“Morning.” Irene greeted back weakly. If it was a typical day Joy would make a speech about Irene’s lack of enthusiasm after seeing Joy’s pretty face in the morning but Joy knew it’s not the day for that. She’s aware that today marked a year of Irene meeting that mysterious woman and she could tell how sad Irene is.

“There’s a new open coffee shop two blocks from here, want to check it out with me? I know you’re not a coffee person but I heard the food is great too.”

“I’m not sure. I have something to do later.” Yeah, probably wait at that convenience store again and mope around after. Joy thought to herself.

“Come on, it’s Friday.” Joy urged and before Irene could say something Jennie came.

“Thank God, you’re here.” Joy said “Why don’t you help me convince unnie here that her books wouldn’t go anywhere if she takes a night off from reading them.”

“I didn’t say anything about reading a book.” Irene protested

“That’s make it worst unnie, you’re probably going to go at that convenience store again only to be disappointed” Jennie finishes before Joy could stop her and when she realizes what she had said she looked at Irene with now dishearten expression.

“I’m sorry unnie, I didn’t mean it that way.” Jennie quickly apologizes but already too late because Irene looks like she’s about to cry already.

“How about we go and celebrate the anniversary of your fateful meeting with her?” Joy suggests to lighten the mood

“No, its fine you guys didn’t have to go all the trouble and take your time for something ridiculous.” Irene said bitterly

“It’s not ridiculous unnie, why would you think that?” It was Joy

“Because it is Joy, you guys think so too. I mean, I can’t really blame you because it’s really crazy to go in that convenience store every day to see someone who may not even remember me.”

 

Guilt flickers both Joy and Jennie’s face.

 

“Maybe it’s really the time for me stop coming back there. I can’t believe it took me a year to do that.” Irene said, shadow of sadness on her voice and eyes “See you two later.”

//

 

\\

“Stop pushing me!” Jennie mumbles through gritted while glaring at Joy.

They are now in front of Irene’s room after what happen earlier at the school they both knew they needed to apologize to Irene but was too embarrass to do so and if it wasn’t for Irene’s Father who saw them at the front gate arguing on who will press the door bell they would still be there.

“I bought the cake.” Joy said

“And I bought the beer and the pizza.” Jennie argues

“And you were the one who brought out about her going to convenience stor—“

“Alright, alright.” Jennie cutting her off, she clearly remembers what she said. She took a breath before she knocks. Three of them were friends since high school and they rarely get into fights and even if they did it was over some petty stuff that they would just make up within seconds. But they both knew that this time it was different, they didn’t fight but they’re both aware that they hurt Irene.

 

 Surprised flickers on Irene’s face as soon as she opens her door and saw Joy and Jennie both smiling awkwardly at her.

 

“Hi.” It was Jennie, with the most awkward hi she probably ever said to her.

Irene looked at them confusedly “What are you doing here?”

“We would like to apologize for earlier.” It’s Joy this time

“There’s nothing to apologize and I—“

“There is unnie.” Joy told her “We know how important it is to you no matter how much you deny it. I’m sorry for being insensitive about it.”

“You d—“

“And we are also here to celebrate with you.” Jennie said smiling broadly at her

“I told you, you don’t have to. And there’s no need to.”

“We want to unnie and what do you mean there’s no need to, of course there is. It’s worth celebrating. It’s your second life we are talking about here.” Jennie said dramatically “Please?”

 

Irene sighed as she opens her door widely. She knows she can’t win to both of them combined.

 

After drinking, eating, laughing and chatting for a while, it’s evident that they’re all a little tipsy especially Irene who’s never good at handling alcohol.

 

Joy raised her can as if making a toast “Wherever you are, I hope that you have a very, very good reason on why you would not come back on that convenience store and make Irene unnie wait in agony for you every day.”

 

Irene wanted to protest but there’s no use in denying it.

 

“I would never accept your reason it if it’s not a life or death situation.” Jennie added “How dare you sweep Irene unnie on her feet and then disappears.”

“How dare you take her heart with you and then leaving her with nothing but empty chest and longing for you?” Joy added dramatically

 

In usual days, Irene would argue with them on how wrong they are and that they’re exaggerating and looking too much into this but there’s no use doing that now not when everything’s to obvious that even herself can’t deny it anymore.

 

They were right, the stranger did swept her of her feet that night and that she left her with nothing but empty chest and longing she never thought she would feel for someone let alone to a stranger,

 

They probably have just one mistake, Irene thought. The stranger didn’t take her heart, she gave it to her. As absurd and ridiculous as it sound even for herself, if there’s one thing she’s sure happens that night is, she willingly gave her heart to her that night.

 

 “You have no idea what you’re missing you idiot!” Joy yells making Jennie and Irene laughs.

“Definitely a lot.” Jennie added nodding “Like spending your whole day reading a chemistry book.”

“Yah!” Irene whine hitting her arm lightly

“Or eats a messy and unrecognizable fried egg.” Joy added laughing.

“That was one time!”

“Maybe she could smell the pitiful egg from where she’s standing and the need to save her life arises.” Jennie said

Joy laughs “A valid reason and totally understandable.”

“I am never going to cook for you two again.”

“Thank you.” Joy and Jennie said in unison laughing

 

“But seriously…” Jennie said as she raises her can of beer “Whoever you are, wherever you are, I hope you meet Irene unnie again sooner because you’re seriously missing a lot of things and trust me you’ll regret it all your life if you keep missing it.”

 

Irene smile at Jennie’s sweet words.

 

It’s Joy who raises her can this time “Irene unnie has a lot of love to give and she’s just waiting for you to show yourself again and receive it. I promise you, you are never going to regret any of it.”

 

Irene smile grew wider and softer as she raises her can of beer 

 

“And that in any case you dare to forget our lovely Irene unnie, I hope you choke to death.”

 

//