CHAPTER 1

If You Met Me First

Chapter 1

 

Irene fasten her pace as she walks at  the empty street on her way home, she doesn’t usually stay this late outside but due to their thesis deadline she had no choice but to stayed and finish the thesis with her team today.

Her hearts starts beating rapidly as her body starts to tremble when she realize the two men she walked pass at the convenience store earlier is following her. Whatever it is they want, it is not good.

She put her bag in front of her as she ready herself to run, she’s still three blocks away from their house and she’s not really on top when it comes to running department but who cares, it’s life and death situation.

She took a deep breath and then starts running as fast as she could as the two men also runs following her.

She passed one block without a hitch, there’s only two block now the only problem is she could feel her thigh and feet collapsing any moment, running isn’t her forte and her stamina is close to worst if it’s not already.

And it’s not helping that the street light broke down at this part of the street, she barely see anything but could feel the men following her is getting closer and she knew that they would reached her sooner unless she suddenly get super power that would make her disappear in an instant or run like flash but this isn’t a movie, this is real and unless something miracle happens, there’s only one outcome for her. And she’s not really a miracle believer so she gathers all the strength she has left to run faster.

But before she could put all the strength she works hard to muster into work, someone had grabbed her and pulled her into the corner of the dark alley.

 

Irene was about to scream but before she could do so, a hand covered from behind and an arm wrapped around her, restricting her to make any movement.

She tried to get away but the strangers hold to her is too strong and she’s too weak to move and the only thing she can do is tear up helplessly.

 

“Pshhhh.” The stranger whispered to her, Irene immediately felt a goose bumps all over her body, she’s scared to death, is this how she die?

 

At that moment, Irene had given up the miracle of coming out of this alive, but she hopes that whoever this person is, she’d kill her fast.

 

“I’m not going to hurt you.” The stranger whispered again.

Is this what happens when you’re in the verge of dying? You’re mind playing with you? Irene thought

“Those men won’t know we are here unless you make unnecessary noise.” The stranger added “I am going to take my hands off in your mouth, just please trust me.”

 

Irene unconsciously nodded.

Irene felt the strangers released a breath as she slowly took her hand off on .

Irene’s never a miracle believer but if God wanted to make her believe then this incident will definitely do. She swallowed as she slowly, nervously turns to face this miracle that God has sent her.

She wasn’t lying when she said those men following her won’t know they’re here, she could feel the warmth this person in front of her is radiating but she cannot make out of this strangers face clearly. But her eyes, her eyes are a different story.

 

Though Irene can’t see her eyes clearly, she knows that she’s staring right back at her, she could also tell that they were the same height. Every breath this person is taking is touching her lips, they were so close she could feel this person’s hearts beat too.

 

“You’re safe with me.” The stranger whispered and Irene believed her. And truth is, a part of her trusted her the moment she told her, she’s not going to hurt her.

Was it the way she says it that calms Irene? Was it because she’s on the edge and this stranger came into her giving her hope when she already gave up? Was it the way this stranger’s hearts beat calmly, making her heart calms too in this dangerous situation? Or was it the warmth she’s giving her on this dark cold night that’s making her trust her?

She doesn’t know.

All she knows is that, she feels safe with her.

 

After a minute or maybe hour standing on the dark, the stranger breaks the silence.

“I think they’re gone but just to be safe…” She said as took Irene’s hand and pulled her on a darker side of the street “It’s way darker but it’s a shortcut on the next block.”

Irene knows this shortcut, she’s using this too but definitely not this late at night.

Irene was supposed to question, to fight, to struggle because she doesn’t know her and for all she knows she’s luring her into a trap but she didn’t. She just let herself pulled and led by this stranger.

 

Irene was pulled on her trance when the person she’s with stops as she coughs continuously

“A-are you okay?” Irene asked, they were now on the lighter part of the street and she’s one block away from her house.

“Y-yeah.” She answered when she stops coughing. And that’s when Irene realizes that after spending time with this person, this is the first time that she sees her face clearly or maybe not.

She’s wearing a mask that’s covering everything on her face besides her eyes that Irene’s having a hard time seeing clearly because she’s wearing a cap too. If this was any other situation and Irene saw her on the street, her outfit screams ‘I’m dangerous’ and would definitely avoid her.

“Sore throat.” She added, it was evident but Irene was too occupied earlier to notice it.

“Did I scare you?” She asked again when Irene stood there in silent.

“N-no…” She answered “Maybe a little.”

“I wouldn’t blame you if you’re scared to death though.” She chuckles, due to her sore throat Irene cannot tell what her voice really sounds like but she could tell that she has a deep voice.

“I am, actually.” Irene admitted

“I could tell.” She said “I thought your heart will burst out of your chest when I pulled you earlier.”

“That’s highly understandable when you’re in a very dangerous situation.” Irene said

“Agreed.” She said, Irene cannot see her face but she could tell that she smile when she said those words “Thank God I followed my gut. I was inside the convenience store when you walk pass it and saw the two men too.”

“Thank you so much.” Irene told her “I don’t know what would happen if you weren’t there. It may sound dramatic but I guess I owe you my life.”

 

The strangers’ chuckles “That is indeed dramatic. Maybe I’m just at the right place at the right time.”

Irene stares at her “You are.” The smile “Or maybe it was me?”

The stranger chuckles again “Cracking a joke after a near death situation, I’d say you’re handling it just fine.”

 

But it wasn’t a joke to Irene.

It may sound crazy, it does sound crazy. Irene feels like she lost it too because who’s in their right mind to actually think that experiencing a near death situation is just her being in the right place at the right time, to have met this person, to have met her.

 

“Do you live around here?”

“Y-yeah.” Irene answered “You?”

“No.” She answered “I get hungry on the way home so I stopped at the store to grab something.”

“Maybe it was your pet inside the stomach that I should be thanking.” Irene said smiling

“Maybe.” She smiles in return “You should go, before those bad guys come running again.”

“What if those bad guys are still searching for me and instead they’d find you?” Irene asked concerned

“Don’t worry about me, I’m quite good at running.”

Concerned not leaving Irene’s face “I’m serious, maybe we should call a cops.”

The stranger smile under that masks as she pulled her hand up and ruffled Irene’s hair softly as if they knew each other for a long time now “I’ll be fine.”

“But it’—“ Irene stops when the stranger suddenly holds both her shoulder from behind and pushes her to walk

 

“Go home now Ms. Worrywart.” She said as she pushed Irene again, distancing four feet at least

 

Irene turns to her and was going to retort back but the person in front of her is already waving her hand. Irene sighed in defeat and turns to their house direction, as she starts to walk.

After taking a few steps Irene turns to look at her and she’s standing still looking at her.

Irene waved at her to go and she answered her by nodding.

Irene sighed again then continues walking, after a few steps she turns to look behind again and she’s still on her spot looking at her.

Irene stops and turns to fully face her. The stranger then runs towards her. She has long dark hair that falls perfectly as she runs towards her.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to creep you out but I can’t help but worry.” She said when she reaches Irene

“My house is literally around that corner.”

“Exactly, what if they suddenly jump on you while you open the gate of your home?”

“You watch too much horror movies.”

“Better to be safe than sorry, right?”

 “If there’s something you should be worry about, it’s you.” Irene said

“Don’t get me wrong but I do worry about myself, too much to be honest.” She said “It’s just that, I worry about myself not feeling at ease if I don’t see you get in your house safely.”

Irene stares at her.

“I told you, I worry about myself too much.” She said “I swear I’m not a bad person.”

“I know.” Irene replied “But you’re too nice to be true.”

“Do I need to be bad to be true?” She asked her cheekily “It’s a secret but I once killed a cockroach to feed it to a chick.”

Irene couldn’t help but laugh

“Am I too funny to be true now?” She asked chuckling

“Whatever.” Irene said as she starts walking

“Wait.” She said as she follows Irene

“I thought you weren’t a creep, why do you keep on following me?” Irene asked

“Who says I’m following you?” She asked back

Irene cocked her brows. The stranger then stops as she looks at her, Irene couldn’t see it but she felt her smile under the mask.

 

“I’m walking you home.”