His Hands

His Hands

His hands were the strongest ones I had ever laid eyes upon.

They weren’t the hugest or the firmest, but they were the strongest ever. His hands looked as though they had gone through a lot just to get him where he was. How many microphones had those hands felt; how many autographs had they signed; how many scripts had they grasped? How many times had those hands held his head in frustration or weariness?

And yet, his hands were gentle and trustworthy enough to hold a baby with all the safety in the world. They were hands that seemed to be able to embrace a child’s playfulness, hands that looked perfect placed on top of a little kid’s head. They were hands that were always ready with a comforting hug.

His hands gave me a sense of security, as though nothing in this dreadful world could hurt me as long as those dependable hands were holding me.

To others, they were merely hands; but they conveyed so much about him to me. I had a strange obsession for them.

Slowly sipping my mango milkshake, I had my eyes fixed on those hands once again. He droned on and on about schedules and managers and dance moves and voice control... but I barely heard anything as I watched how those hands moved around animatedly as he talked.

“So... tomorrow’s Valentine’s Day,” Hyunseong said with a grin. “What would be the best Valentine’s gift anyone could ever give to you?”

“Your hands,” I absentmindedly replied.

“...my hands?”

The bewilderment in his voice brought me back to reality. I looked up to see him scrutinizing his hands amusedly. Quickly ducking my head down, I took gigantic gulps of my milkshake, trying hard to avoid his questioning gaze.

“Wait, did you really say—”

“No, I didn’t!” I interrupted hurriedly.

“—my hands?”

I mentally kicked myself for letting that slip. “Eh heh heh heh... I didn’t say hands,” I put a lot of emphasis on that word. “I said... uh, I said sands! You know! Like... the beach!” I kicked myself again for such a lame save.

“Really? ‘Cause I could’ve sworn you said hands.”

I sighed. “No, I didn’t, Hyunseong.”

He looked at his hands one last time before picking up his Oreos donut and taking a bite. I heaved a sigh of relief, glad that he was going to let it go.

“So... why did you say my hands?” Hyunseong asked with a glimmer of mischievousness in his eyes.

I wrinkled my nose. “I didn’t.”

“Yes, you did.”

“No...”

“Yes!”

“...can we just drop the hands topic now?”

Noticing that I was annoyed, Hyunseong laughed. “You look so cute when you’re mad.”

“Thanks,” I muttered and continued drinking my milkshake.

I was never gonna live past this day if he remembered what I had said.

 

*** (the next day) ***



“Hello?”

“Hey! If you’re free, want to meet again at that cafe we were in yesterday?” Hyunseong said cheerfully.

“Um... sure,” I replied slowly. “What’s up though? Don’t you have a schedule today?”

There was a pause. “Well... that mango milkshake you had yesterday looked really good. I just can’t resist going and having a try.”

...really, Hyunseong?

“Okayyy...?” I said skeptically. I totally did not believe this crazy thing he called a reason.

“Okay! I’ll meet you outside your house at 3!”

Before I could reply, Hyunseong had already hung up.

What did this boy have in mind now...

At 2:55, I walked out the front door only to find him already standing there.

“You’re early,” I said.

Hyunseong turned around and smiled. I took a quick glance at his hands. There were two huge silver rings on each hand, like those that he usually wore when he was performing. Quickly looking up, I noticed that my already-short glance was too long. He too was staring at his hands with that same amused look on his face from yesterday.

I coughed to get his attention. “Let’s go?”

Hyunseong nodded.

Then it all happened too fast. One second my hand was empty; the next his hand was in mine, his fingers entwined with mine.

My heart stopped as I felt those strong hands that I had come to adore so much grasping my own. “What are you—?”

He had that stupid grin on his face as he walked on casually, nearly dragging me along. “Hm?”

I sighed and tried again. “...why are you holding my hand?”

Hyunseong stopped and turned to face me. ...while still grabbing onto my hand. “Didn’t you say yesterday that my hands would be the best Valentine’s Day gift to you?”

...he hadn’t forgotten that?

“Well then...” Hyunseong smiled. I felt his hand grow closer as he lightly squeezed my hand. “Happy Valentine’s Day.”