Daughter of the Moon&Sun

The Immortal's Promise

 

Aglaia was born the night of the eclipse. But not just any eclipse. The ancient, most powerful of all the eclipses that cycled through the heavens. It was known as the night of the Uniting. Aglaia’s mother told her the stories when she was small, at bedtime, that it was the night when two worlds, two realms aligned. It was when the world of the immortals and fantastic creatures of legend meshed with that of the mortal world and the veil between them lifted...allowing them to walk among us.

 

The first Uniting eclipse happened many, many millennia ago...before the dawn of time immemorial and ever since then, humans have had to share their world with the immortals who also have decided to take up residence there. 

 

However, most mortals do not know there are other ancient beings living among them. The ancient ones use their power to disguise themselves, living behind magic, portals, and glamours so that most humans never even suspect they exist. 

 

But Aglaia was a girl born to a loving set of parents who knew. They told her the tales of merfolk that lived in sparkling coves and amongst beautiful waterfalls and relaxing lagoons; their glowing cities nestled leagues under waters that had yet to be chartered by humans. They told her of fairies, and water sprites that danced under the glow of the full moon and resided in gorgeous, flower covered meadows. They told of the elegant, beautiful Fey that lived in the unexplored, uninhabited realms of the woodlands and the nymphs and tree spirits that lived there too. They told her of beautiful tales that made her eyes shine and her imagination swirl with delight.

 

Aglaia’s parents lived with her in a small home that her father had built deep, deep in the woods where no one ever came. It was the home she was born in. That house and the woods outside it were the only world she knew. 

 

Sometimes her father would take her on a long journey to the edge of the forest. From there, he would point out in the distance a human settlement that was nestled in the hillside further on. Further past the settlement, across a lake and about twenty miles further, rose towering mountains. Larger than life, the cliffs and spires of the mountains seemed to dwarf the small city despite the distance between them. Aglaia’s father never took her beyond the border of the woods to explore the city or the mountains beyond, but Aglaia would sometimes dream that one day she would be able to cross the invisible line and leave the sanctuary of the woods to see the world and the incredible people, mortal and immortals alike, beyond it.

 

Aglaia’s favorite pastimes were wandering her favorite haunts in the woods. At a young age, she’d made friends with a pair of water nymph sisters, Aylin and Aysun. They would take turns telling each other stories and going on adventures to find new treasures and hideouts. The young tree nymph, Narin, she played with was the one who had taught her how to weave flower crowns and would braid her hair with blossoms. But one of Aglaia’s favorite things to do when she wasn’t roaming the land with her friends was when she would sit in the gardens her mother had tenderly cultivated behind the house that was filled with not only growing food, but wildflowers that would grow to the size of a large grapefruit. During those times, she would watch contentedly as fairies, no bigger than her little finger would dance through the blossoms making them grow big and strong, or zip around playing with each other. Occasionally once in awhile, one would come and nestle itself contentedly in her hair or on her knee.

 

Aglaia’s friends were never visible to her parents. Their glamors were too strong for her parent’s eyes to penetrate. This had really bothered her. She had wanted to share with her parents the friends she made and help them see the beings from the stories they told her before their eyes. Once, when she was a young girl, she had asked her parents why she could see immortals when they couldn’t.

 

“My darling, most humans cannot see immortals.” her mother had lovingly reassured, “But you are special. You were born during the Uniting Eclipse. When you were born, your energy and aura was transformed from the energy that comes only during the night of the Uniting. Your spirit was immersed in the dual energies both mortal and immortal that night. Therefore, it is easier for you to penetrate the veil. Of course the very ancient immortals are so powerful they would even be able to fool you. But for simple glamors and magic, you can penetrate those and see them for what they really are.”

 

“That’s right princess,” smiled her father as he scooped her up in his arms making her squeal in delight. “Sometimes humans can use potions or even magic to penetrate the glamor, but you’re special. You don’t need that.”

 

And Aglaia was content with their answers.

 

 

It was the day of Aglaia’s sixteenth birthday. That morning, she awoke to the smell of warm, sticky, cinnamon buns coming from her mother’s oven. Her father had laughed as she had scurried into the kitchen, still bleary eyed with sleep, but beaming as she watched her mom pulling the first batch from the oven.

 

“Good morning princess,” he smiled standing up to give her a hug, “Happy birthday!”

 

“Thanks dad!” she tried but was unsuccessful in suppressing a yawn.

 

“I might have to steal one of these for the road,” her father reached for a bun and wrapped one in a handkerchief.

 

“You’re not eating with us?” Aglaia frowned, her brow furrowing.

 

“I wish I could sweetie but I need to go to the human settlement to pick up some provisions. We’re running low on flour and oil, and a few other things. The sooner I leave, the sooner I’ll be back.”

 

“You’ll be gone forever though,” whined Aglaia, “I want to come with you! Can I go into the settlement with you? I have never been there yet, and it’s my birthday.”

 

“I’m afraid this is a trip I need to do myself. Besides we can’t leave your mother all alone here.”

 

Aglaia shook her head. “But I want to go. What if I never ever get another chance to leave this forest? What if I have to stay here my whole life and this is my only chance to meet other human beings?”

 

“There there dear, let’s not be dramatic,” laughed her mother. “Besides, your dad is going to be bringing you back something to celebrate your birthday.”

 

Aglaia perked up at that. “Really?” she demanded, her eyes sparkling with anticipation.

 

“Of course. But before you ask,” he said seeing that she was about to, “I’m not telling what it is. It’s going to be a surprise. That’s another reason you can’t come. We can’t ruin the surprise. If you really want to know what it is, go dream about it.”

 

Aglaia rolled her eyes at her father’s remark. Her whole family knew that Aglaia was a seer. Her visions were drawn from the realm of dreams. This was just another effect from having been born during a Uniting Eclipse. Whenever she slept, there would be times when she would see places or people that were too lifelike to not be real. Sometimes, she’d catch glimpses of small things that would happen in the future. 

 

She had dreamt of Narin before she’d met her; a gorgeous tree nymph girl with fiery, curly hair, pale as an aspen trunk with deep brown eyes that glinted gold. Her covering was dark and rough like tree bark and she smiled at Aglaia before turning into a spirit of leaves, twigs, and wind. When Aglaia had been rambling through the forest one day, she had stumbled upon that very girl from her vision. Instead of being afraid of the tree-girl, she had been excited. The two had been dear friends ever since.

 

 With a little pout that just couldn’t stay in place for long, Aglaia ran up to her father and gave him a hug. “Travel safely.”

 

He scooped her up in his arms like he had done when she was smaller and hugged her to him. “I will. You have a wonderful birthday, princess.” He then gently set her back on her bare feet, walked around the table to give his wife a hug and a deep kiss (Aglaia closed her eyes at that), and slung his bag over his shoulder.

 

“Goodbye to the two most wonderful women in my life.” he smiled as he headed out the door.

 

“Goodbye,” Aglaia and her mother called. They watched him until he disappeared down the path.

 

“Alright Aglaia.” her mother called her daughter’s attention to her, her eyes sparkling. “It’s time to eat your favorite breakfast. After that, the day is yours. How would you like to spend it?”

 

“Well if I can’t go into town, can I take some of those buns to my friends? Aylin and Aysun have never had these before. I’ll bet they love them and maybe we can put one in the garden for the fairies.”

 

“Alright my little adventuress,” her mother smiled. I’ll pack you a bag with cinnamon buns and some food for lunch too. Have fun playing today. Go find new places to explore and more friends to meet. But remember to be careful and don’t go to Dark Edge. We are the only humans in this part of the wood, but there are dangers past that point.” As she said this, she also put a knife in Aglaia’s bag. Just in case.

 

When she was finished with her breakfast, Aglaia threw her arms around her mother and gave her a kiss on her cheek. “I love you mama. I’ll see you later tonight.” She slung the bag over her shoulder and hurried out into the woods to find the lake a few miles away where Aylin and Aysun lived.

 

The water nymphs squealed in delight as they savored the cinnamon buns that were still warm and delectably sweet.

 

“A thousand blessings upon you and your mother Laia. This is simply...beyond description.” Aysun’s deep blue eyes fluttered closed as she savored the taste of cinnamon and sugar. Her wet blonde hair was plastered down her back and over her shoulders. The loose, gauzy blue dress she wore clung delicately to her curvy figure leaving little to the imagination. Aglaia grinned at her friend. Legends called creatures like them evil seductresses and murderers; sirens who lured men with their irresistible call to their watery deaths. But watching the childlike joy that shone from Aysun’s eyes and smile, Aglaia never understood where those legends had even come from.

 

“Thank you Laia,” agreed Aylin. Her blue eyes were the same shade and shape as her sister’s and they changed color like the different waves of the sea. But her hair was as black as a raven’s wing. She wore a dress that perfectly mirrored her sister’s both in style and color. Aglaia had never worn a dress before. She had always worn a simple tunic and breeches. Those were far more practical than those light-weight scraps of clothes the nymphs wore. Aglaia didn’t know how they didn’t catch a cold when they sat around in the water all the time. But then again, they were immortals and while they could come up onto the land if they chose, water was the sisters’ natural habitat.

 

“So what will you do to celebrate your birthday?” Aylin asked the last of the treat off her slender, white fingers.

 

“I’m going to go exploring out on the eastern hills. Would you two care to join me?”

 

The sisters shared a sad look. “We’d love to,” Aysun began.

 

“But we already promised Narin we’d help her tend to some of her brothers and sisters. Some of their trees aren’t getting access to enough water. We’re going to help draw out moisture for them so they don’t fall even more ill than they are.”

 

“Oh. Do you need any help?” Aglaia asked disappointed. But she quickly hid her disappointment, “I don’t want Narin’s family sick from dehydration.”

 

“It’s alright.” Aysun smiled, “There’s really nothing you can do. You can’t draw moisture out of the ground or make it rain, right? Why don’t you go and explore and we’ll explore with you another day?”

 

“Yes. Go explore and have fun. We know you love it and we wouldn’t deprive you of that on your birthday.” Aylin agreed nodding, “Just let us know how it goes and any new stories you have.”

 

“Sure.” Aglaia smiled and stood up dusting the bits of dirt and grass off her hands. She slung her bag over her shoulder and waved. The nymphs waved back before wading back out into the middle of the huge lake that spanned around eight miles. They moved through the resistance of the water as if it didn’t exist. The speed with which they glided forward was graceful and utterly inhuman and soon their heads disappeared beneath the surface. The only indication that something had disturbed the surface of that calm lake being the small ripples that spiderwebbed across the water.

 

Aglaia shook her hair out of her eyes and sighed. Well she could still have an adventure even if her friends couldn’t come with her. She began striding forward into the trees heading to the area of the forest where, for a moment, the trees thinned and the sun shone through the canopies. The light was a soft golden green as it shone down on a beautiful little hill covered with soft grass and forget-me-nots. It took her awhile to get there and as she walked, she found herself thinking how very much alone she was.


It is a little bit lonely. Lonely. The word triggered a memory pulling her back to a time she had almost forgotten.