Warm Blessings

Warm Blessings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shivers broke out, eliciting goose bumps as an old lady breathed in the cold morning air. Sighing she rubbed her palms thinking about the hard day ahead. She stared at the bleak road, wishing for someone to appear; she had been waiting by her hot bun stand wishing for at least one customer to visit her stand. She needed the money; she lived by herself, her children having abandoned her for richer, wealthier people. 

 

She raised her head as she heard loud footsteps and the singing of an adult and a child. She turned towards the main road searching for potential customers, straightening her posture when she saw the happy pair. A young man slightly on the shorter side held the hand of an adorable little boy, both slightly skipping as they sang cheerfully.  The pair appeared happier and warmer than she felt seeing that the both of them were bundled in large warm jackets, holding each other’s gloved hands and turning towards the bus stop.

 

She slumped, looking at her stall dejectedly when she realised the pair had no intention to visit her stall and she did not wish to call them and inject them with her negative emotions today. Sighing she closed her eyes, rubbing her hands with minimal effort for some warmth. Opening her eyes, she startled when she saw a little hand reach towards the displayed buns when a larger hand covered the smaller, pulling it away.

 

“Nuh uh, we don’t do that Yoogeunnie, what do we do first thing when we see an elder?” A soft melodious voice reached her ears. Looking up she noticed that the pair she had thought to have walked away were now standing in front of her stall. Now observing the pair closer, she noticed the similarities between the two quickly; the cute large puppy eyes and beaming smiles on both their faces as they shook their heads playfully, fluffy black hair dancing with the movement.

 

The little boy turned facing her, attacking her with a cute grin he said, “Goo’ mawing, gamma!”

 

The young man chuckled at the cute greeting, turning around himself as he bowed slightly, “Good morning! We haven’t had our breakfast yet, so we were gonna treat ourselves! What are our options?” The young man asked with a smile.

 

The old lady smiled back at the slightly shorter than average young man, warmed by the young man’s friendly greeting and handsome face. “I have sesame seed buns, custard filled buns, red bean buns, matcha buns and plain buns. What would you like young man?” She asked.

 

“Papa, papa! I wan’ red bun!” The little boy tugged at the young man’s sleeve.

 

“Alright, alright Yoogeunnie.” The young man laughed, picking up his son. “Could we have one red bean bun and a matcha bun please?”

 

“Yes of course!” The lady said contentedly as she packed their chosen items and received her payment. Watching them as they cheerfully walked back towards the bus stop, she sighed this time with contention, feeling that the father and son had sanctified her little stall with their warm luck. Noticing more people, she greeted them loudly, inviting them to her stall with a happy smile.

 

 

8.45am by Hello Baby Kindergarten

 

 

The father and son walked towards the gates as other children arrived with their parents. They bumped each other playfully, before the young man snatched up his son, lifting him up high as the little one squealed happily. Stopping just before the gate, he set down his son and kneeled in front of him.

 

“Yoogeunnie, baby, do well today! Eat well and play nice with the others alright baby?” The man asked softly, brushing his son’s hair into place. Kissing his forehead and cheek, he said “When you finish today, don’t run off ok? Wait inside for Uncle Taemin, he’ll come pick you as usual alright baby?”

 

“Mm! Ok papa, I be nice and wait for Unca Min!” Yoogeun replied with cute determination.

 

“Oh, my sweet baby! Papa loves you very much! Now give me a kiss!” He said as he pursed his lips at his son. The little boy grinned as he pecked his father’s lips before hugging the man tightly.

 

“Jonghyun-ssi?” A female voice called for their attention.

 

The young father turned his head noticing the young female teacher waiting to guide his son to his classroom. He picked up his son hugging him tighter, pressing a kiss to his son’s head, he whispered, “Love you baby.”

 

“Lub you too papa.” Yoogeun nuzzled his head under his father’s chin.

 

With another tight hug, Jonghyun set his son back on the ground and pushed him slightly towards his teacher. He watched waving silently as the pair walked into the kindergarten. Once they were out of sight, he walked towards the bus stop heading towards his own job.

 

 

Several hours later…

 

 

Jonghyun sat by the chair as he stared forlornly at the fresh flowers around him. He sighed thinking about the slow business they had today. No one seemed to need flowers purely for themselves or to gift a loved one.

 

He intermittently checked the wall clock as it neared 3pm, fingers slightly gripping his phone as it neared the closing time for the kindergarten. As per usual daily practice, his young friend Lee Taemin, a dance student would pick up his son from the kindergarten during his break and take him to his dance class, where his son would amuse himself until his arrival at 5pm. He knew that and yet he ached to call and just check up on his son quickly.  10 minutes slowly passed as he fidgeted by the cashier desk.

 

He startled with a full body tremor when the back door opened suddenly. He turned around to see a tall, thin young man walk out of the back room carrying more fresh bouquets. He walked over quickly to help carry the bundles of prepared bouquets. The other man smiled gratefully as he deposited half his burden with Jonghyun.

 

“Teukie hyung, why are the flowers prepared into bouquets already? We only do them one by one as a customer requests them right? And we haven’t had any customers in the last 3 hours hyung!” Jonghyun exclaimed looking confusedly at the fourteen exquisitely wrapped bouquets.

 

Leeteuk grinned, highlighting his dimple as he ruffled Jonghyun’s hair, “I know Jjong-ah, I was the one who told you this when I hired you, little brat!” He said laughing when Jonghyun pouted, “Heechul called last night and asked for these bouquets for his sister’s reception today. Apparently, they wanted to give special bouquets to close friends and family.”

 

Jonghyun perked up, eyes brightening “Chullie-hyung? But he didn’t invite us! I thought we were friends!” He pouted again slumping.

 

“Yah! She’s his cousin sister not his actual sister! He would have invited us if it was.” Leeteuk laughed at the cute display before him.

 

“Hehehe and I bet you sat there working on the bouquets all by yourself because Chullie-hyung asked you!” Jonghyun teased cheekily. Laughingly turning away when Leeteuk tried to swat him as a blush grew on his face.

 

“Yah! We’re just friends!” Leeteuk protested half-heartedly, a grin trembling on his lips.

 

“If you say so hyung~~” The younger man singsong, “When are you delivering them hyung? Or is Heechul hyung picking them up?”

 

“No, I was going to go over to his place to deliver them, but he said he’ll pick me up from here.” Leeteuk answered, avoiding the eyes of the other who had started grinning impishly. “I’m gonna close the shop though Jjong-ah, so you can head home early today.”

 

Jonghyun perked up again, excited at the prospect of seeing his son early. “Really hyung? You don’t need any help?”

 

“No, I’ll be fine Jonghyunnie. Heechul will be here to help me in a bit anyway. Go home and play with your little cutie.” Leeteuk smiled, looking at the younger man fondly.

 

“Thank you hyung!!” Jonghyun hugged the other happily. Grabbing his things, he shouted cheekily as he left the store, “Enjoy your date hyung!”  He giggled running out the door before Leeteuk could say anything.

 

Coming to a stop by the bus stop, he excitedly took out his phone to call his friend. Slightly hopping, he fumbled with the sleeves of his hoodie as the phone continued to ring. Perking up, he grinned as his call was answered, “Taeminnie~~” He called sweetly.

 

“Hyung~~ Are you finished with work?” Taemin responded in kind, laughing.

 

“Yes! Teukie hyung let me leave early so that he can go on his date with Heechullie hyung. Are you with my Yoogeunnie?” He asked excited at the prospect of seeing his cute baby early.

 

“Yes hyung, of course! I’m with Yoogeunnie at Onew’s Chickens!”

 

“Yah! Again? You always go there! Are you making my baby fat?” Jonghyun asked mock indignantly.

 

“Hyung~~ Jinki hyung makes healthy chicken for babies too!” Taemin huffed.

 

“Jinki hyung?” Jonghyun asked frowning.

 

“You know? The hyung that Yoogeunnie has been scouting for you? Your potential husband?” Taemin laughed over the phone already imagining Jonghyun’s blushing and pouting face.

 

As expected Jonghyun blushed as he pouted in mock anger, “Yaaahh~ What potential husband? I know I haven’t dated in a while but if you’re approving a kindly old man for me just because Yoogeunnie likes him I’m never gonna let you babysit him again!”

 

Taemin hummed thoughtfully as he said with laughter in his voice, “Your description is quite accurate hyung; Key hyung and I call him Youngam.”

 

“Bummie knows him too?” Jonghyun asked surprised as he climbed into the bus.

 

“Of course! We all know him hyung! You’re the only one who hasn’t met him yet! And you haven’t even tried his chicken still! Come hyung, I promise you’ll like it and then you’ll never complain that I take Yoogeunnie here!” Taemin laughed.

 

“Alright, alright you brat! I just got in the bus; I should be there in about another 20 minutes.” Jonghyun rolled his eyes. Smiling he bid goodbye as he stared out the window, watching the scenery pass by he shook his legs, giddy with happiness at his son

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter