Honest to Goodness

Moao
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There isn't much activity in the university as it's after exams, and students have eased back into their routines and extra-curriculars to keep them sane. 

Mina had stayed behind at the music hall to practice a piece for the honors banquet she's been invited to play at. She's also there to receive awards for her academic excellence the past semester. 

Her phone rings, and it's Momo, to her surprise. 

"Hello?" 

"Hi, are you still practicing?"

"Yes, I am." 

"Could you take a break with me here at the common room?" 

***

Momo has not let Mina live down her "prodigious" status, despite Mina's efforts to "keep it lowkey." 

"Why do you not like it when people talk about your achievements?" Momo jests, while eating a bagel. 

Mina sits across Momo, watching him scarf down his breakfast with ease without stopping. She sips her coffee, then contemplates. "Because that's all people will know about me? I don't want that to be me, you know? Mina the nerd; Mina the valedictorian; intimidating Mina who is good at everything; Mina is the top pianist in this school." 

Momo nods at every instance, agreeing wholeheartedly. "That is all true, your Honor. No objections." 

Mina laughs. "You're missing the point. What if nobody wants to know me as Mina the gamer?" 

The orange-haired boy leans back in his cafeteria chair. "Are you?" 

"Wrong question, Hirai. I'm the gamer." Mina quickly taps on her phone and shows Momo a whole folder of online multiplayer games, smirking triumphantly at her repertoire. 

"Competitive games. Here I thought you had things like Candy Crush and Wordscapes." Momo lingers on the games, reading each one, increasingly looking impressed. 

Mina throws Momo an offended look as she angrily pressed her screen to load an RPG, with the screen displaying Mina's profile and stats.

Momo finishes the remnants of her bagel, looking exaggeratedly impressed. "Damn, Myoui. You wanna play a game one time?" 

"Sure, but you gotta be on the opposing team." 

Momo grimaces. "I don't think you can do that? It's either I'm on your team or I'm in a completely different game." 

"We can always play a PC game, duh." 

"Okay, nerd. Sure, let's do it. PCBang date." 

"You're paying. Because you'll be losing." 

"So this is a bet now? And you're so sure you'll lose?" 

"Kicking your is already what I see in my mind. How 'bout we do it after school?" 

Momo pauses for a moment, caught off guard at how decided Mina is to do this. "You're so competitive, Myoui." 

"You're not ready, are you?" Mina's smirk plastered on her face has come so alive, Momo feels the intimidation. 

"Look, Mina." Momo readjusts himself in his chair in a more dignified manner to save face. "I'm a gentleman." 

"The fact that you had to say that makes you nowhere near one, Momo." Mina is now laughing and clapping in her seat, unable to contain her amusement at how uncomfortable she had made the most charismatic student in her university. 

Momo's cheeks turn a shade of pink, and he is unable to recover. "Okay, okay, fine. I really wasn't ready for that. But yeah, sure, let's do that later today. I look forward to try and not die. What are we playing?"

"Let's play something easy like Counter-Strike Source. That good?" 

Momo pales and swallows hard. "Uh, sure?" 

"You don't seem too sure of yourself." Mina laughs, just as the bell rings. "Anyway, I'll see you after school." 

She waves at Momo and walks off witho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter