1 - Illusion

Life's Silver Lining

 

1 - ILLUSION 

 

 

"Thank you for applying to KQ College," the interviewer smiled at San and extended a hand to shake. As San returned the handshake confidently, he knew the interviewer was going to accept him - not necessarily because the interview well, but because he saw it.

As San left the interview room, he accidentally bumped into a student, and knew that she would fail her next test.

As San walked home, he nudged shoulders with quite a few people, the most notable being one who was going to get fired next month, one whose best friend was going to die in a week from cancer, and one who would cheat on his wife of 13 years.

San knew he wasn't able to stop any of this from happening, so San ran home. 

He could see the future, the future that was never meant to be seen. A future that he couldn't change, though he tried so hard. It wasn't always a bad future, but what was the point of living in the present if the future was already known? And more often that not, he saw a tragic event that he was helpless in stopping. He was cursed to see what was meant for tomorrow, not today. And, ever so cruelly, he saw the future through what was meant to give comfort - the touch of another person. 

 

 

--- 3 months later ---

The door clicked to unlock, and Wooyoung jumped up from the couch. It was about time he had a roommate - he was so bored of doing his homework without someone to annoy, needing to bring someone over to his dorm to watch his favourite shows together, and having to clean the entire dorm on his own. Most people enjoyed the space, and his friends told him he was lucky, but Wooyoung disagreed. Sprinting to the door, he greeted his new roommate.

"Hello! I'm your new roommate, Wooyoung! It's nice to meet you!" he chirped before the door even opened, waving enthusiastically.

A apathetic face with piercing eyes stared back at him. "I'm... San."

"San? That's a pretty name. Welcome!"

San sighed, grabbed his luggage, and walked in the dorm. Wooyoung frowned at San's coldness, but decided to give it another shot.

"Here, I'll help you out with your luggage," he said as he reached for a bag that San was holding. Startled, San jerked his hand back, dropping the bag on the ground. 

"Hey, is something wrong?" Wooyoung asked with concern. San shook his head, and Wooyoung reached down to grab the bag. He couldn't help but be a little worried, and he watched San unpack slowly. He didn't really get a good look at his roommate who was too intimidating to look at, but now he couldn't stop himself from looking at San: his deep-set, piercing eyes; his black hair framing his perfectly sculpted face, his chiseled jaw, his angled cheekbones -

"What are you looking at?" San's comment made Wooyoung snap out of his thoughts.

"Uhhh... your face is nice?" He responded honestly. San narrowed his eyes, grabbing a pile of clothes from his suitcase.

Wooyoung tried again. "Uhhh... your face isn't nice?" San narrowed his eyes even more.

Wooyoung tried yet again, nervously. "Ummm... your face is scary but it's still nice?"

San ignored Wooyoung, sinking onto the bed opposite of Wooyoung's and turning on his phone. This is going to be a long day. 

 

 

--- 

When San came to KQ College, all he wanted was to get decent marks and graduate. He was looking for a quiet life, a life where he wasn't surrounded by people. But lucky him - as soon as he stepped into his dorm room, he ended up with an annoying chatterbox as a roommate. Perfect, just what I need. When Wooyoung tried to help him with his luggage and their hands almost grazed, San knew this wasn't going to turn out well. 

San's little gift of being able to see the future was not helpful in any way. He once thought he could change the world because of it, but he was proved wrong time and time again.

So, San gave up.

Why should he take responsibility for others' problems? Everything he saw was set into stone, and he was helpless about it. People were awful, and he was just stuck in this world. Damn, if he could see his own future, he'd hate himself too.

San decided that it was too much of a pain to involve himself with others. But - lucky him - Wooyoung wasn't very happy about that.

 

 

---

"SAN! SAAAAN! HI! IT'S ME!" shrieked Wooyoung, sliding into the seat next to San.

San leaned away. "What the hell are you doing? Why are you screaming?"

"Because I'm happy to see you! I can't believe we're taking the same music theory class!" Wooyoung exclaimed.

San frowned and turned away. What the is with this guy? 

Wooyoung grinned. "Wait right here," he said cheekily, and ran off. Great. What's he up to now?

A few minutes later, Wooyoung had brought 6 of his friends to bother sit next to San. 

"Hey, are you Wooyoung's new roommate? I'm Hongjoong, it's nice to meet you." San nodded, slightly irritated.

The rest of Wooyoung's friends introduced themselves to San - Seonghwa, Yunho, Yeosang, Mingi, and Jongho. San rubbed his head in frustration. "Wooyoung, what are you doing? Go sit somewhere else with your friends."

Wooyoung pouted and stuck his face in front of his attractive roommate. "Nice try, but I'm not leaving."

"Why not?"

"I want to sit next to you!"

San gritted his teeth and stuck his earphones in his ears, turning up his volume to the loudest it could get, and wishing that class would start soon.

 

 

---

"That's all for today, and don't forget to find a partner to start working on this assignment with," the teacher said.

That was the moment San knew he was going to kill Wooyoung.

"San! Looks like we're partners," Wooyoung sang. 

San glared at him and turned to the girl sitting on the other side of him hoping that he could partner with anyone other than Wooyoung, but she'd already found someone to work with. Great.

"Do you want to start to work on it today?" Wooyoung suggested.

"Never thought you were the responsible type," San remarked snidely, "but alright."

Wooyoung smiled. "I can show you around. Do you want to go to the library, or should we get drinks first?"

San shrugged. "Drinks, I guess." Being around Wooyoung was exhausting, and some coffee would really help the situation.

Wooyoung clapped. "Perfect!"

 

 

---

The library was silent, aside from the sounds of Wooyoung flipping pages and scribbling notes, the clicking noises of San typing away on his laptop across from him, and the occasional sips on their drinks - Wooyoung's cheerful raspberry lemonade, and San's large cup of coffee to help him ignore Wooyoung. After what was probably hours of working on the assignment, Wooyoung put down his pencil. Geez, does San never get tired? He looked at San, who was now deep in thought, staring intensely at his computer.

That's, like, low-key hot, Wooyoung thought and almost laughed at himself.

San glanced up, meeting eyes with Wooyoung for a second, and looked back down at his screen. "Hey. Wooyoung."

"H - huh? Yeah?" Wooyoung's face turned pink.

"Do you know what this means?"

Wooyoung, relieved that he didn't say anything out loud, scooched his chair over right next to San and took a look at San's notes. "Wow, you ," he remarked and stuck out his tongue.

San glared at him.

"Fine, fine," Wooyoung said as he explained it carefully to San. When he'd finished going through every last detail, he realized that San hadn't said a word.

"Uh... San? Hello?"

Wooyoung looked over at San - who had now dozed off, leaning uncomfortably against his chair. "Seriously, I explain all of that to you and you've been sleeping?" Wooyoung complained.

San only snored in response.

Wooyoung snorted. "What a workaholic. I thought we'd be here for 1 or 2 hours, and we end up being here so long that you fall asleep even after drinking coffee." Nudging the laptop away, he moved San to a more comfortable position, his head and arms resting on the table.

He looked at what San had worked on for the past few hours. Geez, that's a lot. Glancing back at San, Wooyoung felt rather tired himself, and decided that that was enough work for today.

Wooyoung mirrored San's position, and watched his cold roommate snore softly.  

I wonder what San will think when he wakes up, Wooyoung thought as he inched his face closer to San's, and purposely placed his hands over the other's gently as he dozed off.

 

 

---

BONUS: short poem from wooyoung to san :)

beautiful shards of ice

wear your piercing cold wings 

and come to the sunlight

melt away into a lovely pool

or stay the way you are

but join me in the sunlight

where the shadows don't fall

and if you fear the fire

i will take the burn

so join me where the sun rays dance

and never let me go

 

 

---

Afterword: Hi! Is anyone reading this? Hopefully I get at least 2 subscribers ;))) 

Anyways, I hope you've enjoyed my first chapter of my first fanfic, because fanfiction is kind of new to me--but I don't think it's that bad ^^

Thank you for reading~ It would make me really happy if you subscribed to my story. My next chapter will come out within 1-2 weeks. Wait for me until then, and have a great day!