[1]

The Magical & Ordinary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Magical & Ordinary

[1]

The twelve year old girl blinked at the stone-wall in front of her, a puzzled expression on her face, it’s just a wall…She thought to herself, what am I supposed to do? Run towards it? She snorted at the absurdity of the idea.

Her father gave her shoulder a gentle nudge, “Well, go on then.”

Ivy’s eyes widened at her father’s words, “W-what?”

The man sighed, “The only way to get to platform 9 and ¾ is through this wall.”

Ivy let out a nervous chuckle, “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Her father shook his head, an amused glint in his eye, “I kid you not.”

The black-haired girl stared at the wall, “What if I end-up head-banging the wall, that wouldn’t be pretty…” She said in an anxious voice.

Her father gave her a light push, “You won’t. Just go or you’ll be late.”

Ivy took a deep breath, I can do it! She was about to start running but images of her face-planting into the wall made her freeze in her steps, no I can’t.

She turned to her father, a sheepish look on her face, “How about a raincheck?”

Her father let out an exasperated sigh, “Why couldn’t it have been your brother instead?” He whispered under his breath but Ivy heard him loud and clear. Her shoulders slumped in dejection.

 

“All I have to do is run towards the wall?”

Ivy glanced at the newcomer, a girl her age, with honey-colored hair and a bright smile. She was accompanied by both her parents.

“At full speed,” The girl’s father said with a grin.

The girl excitedly nodded her head, “Okay!”

This is it, she thought to herself, a new beginning awaits.

She then looked at her parents, gaze softening at the proud smiles they both wore.

“I’m going to miss you both,” her lower lip quivered and her hazel eyes gleamed with unshed tears, “so much.”

“Oh darling,” her mother exclaimed before engulfing her in a tight hug that her father soon joined.

“Take good care of yourself, okay.” Her mother whispered against her hair.

“I will. I promise.”

“Good luck kiddo,” Her father planted a gentle kiss on her forehead, “You better write us every week.”

The girl pulled away and grinned, “Will do.”

She took this moment to look at them, to really look at them and to take in all of the small details that made them, well, them, wanting to ingrain their image into her memory.

With one last smile, she turned to face the wall that stood between platforms 9 and 10. Here it goes. She tightened her grip on her luggage trolley and was about to start running when she glanced to her side and took notice of the small girl who stood a few meters away, looking at the wall with anxious filled eyes.

“Hey,” Rei called out to her, “It’s going to be fine.”

Ivy blinked, “Yeah?” She asked in a small voice.

Rei nodded with a smile, “Yeah.”

Ivy took a deep breath, “Okay.”

“It’s your first time, isn’t it?” At Ivy’s nod, Rei’s smile widened, “Mine too! I’m Rei by the way.”

The corners of Ivy’s lips lifted up into a smile, “I’m Ivy.”

“Well Ivy,” Rei glanced at the wall, “All you’ve got to do is walk straight to the wall,” She then looked at the black-haired girl and added with a smile, “But it’s best do it with a bit of a run if you are nervous.”

Ivy nodded.

Rei nudged her arm, “You can do it.”

She then positioned herself directly in front of the wall, “See you on the other side!” She said before bidding her parents goodbye and rushing towards the wall.

Ivy’s mouth fell open as Rei’s figure went through the wall, whoa.

She positioned herself in front of the wall.

“Good luck.” Her father gave her an encouraging smile that she mirrored.

Here goes nothing.

She then sprinted towards the wall.

“Aren’t you excited?” Rei asked the girl who was sitting in front of her.

Ivy bit her lip, “I am. I’m just a bit…”

“Nervous?”

Ivy smiled, “Yeah.”

Rei mirrored her smile, “It’s okay to be nervous.” She then leaned in and said in a low whisper, “I’ll even let you in on a secret,” Ivy held her breath in anticipation, “I am too.”

The black-haired girl’s eyebrows furrowed, “You are? You don’t look like you are.”

Rei leaned her head against the couch and smiled, “Change is scary. Stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things is scary,” Ivy couldn’t agree more, “But it’s the best way to grow.”

Ivy mulled over her words, it is.

“Besides, trying new things is always more fun than just doing the same things over and over again.” She added with a knowing look on her face, “Of course it can be scary but it’s always more fun in the end.”

Her words somehow managed to ease Ivy’s worries, “You’re really wise, you know.”

Rei gave her a smug look, “So I’ve been told.”

“How old are you again?”

Rei clicked her tongue in mock disapproval, “A lady never discloses her age, you should know better than to ask.”

“Really?” Ivy asked, amusement in her voice.

Rei chuckled, “Not really, I never get why women are so adamant on keeping their age a secret. I mean, it’s just a number.”

Ivy shrugged, “They probably just don’t want to be reminded that they are getting old.”

Rei pursed her lips, “Growing old is a part of life though,” She then shrugged, “Adults are weird.”

Ivy nodded, “Amen to that.”

“ Yeah!” Someone exclaimed before sliding open the door to their carriage.

“I made it! on that mom! I told her 5 minutes of sleep never hurt anyone.” The curly-haired girl pumped her fist in the air, jumping up and down in excitement.

Ivy winced at her blasphemous language while Rei chuckled in amusement.

“Sorry for the sudden entrance guys, I’m just excited I got here on time.”

“Well it’s more last minute than on time…But hey! At least you made it!” Rei gave her a thumbs up.

Alex smiled, “Indeed! So can I join you?”

Ivy scoffed, “What’s the point of asking when you’re already inside?”

Alex’s eyes narrowed, “Got a problem Shorty?”

Ivy frowned, “Hey! I’m not short!”

Alex snorted, “Sure.”

A pout made its way onto Ivy’s face, “I’m not…” She looked at Rei with pleading eyes, urging her to come to her defense.

“You kind of are.” Rei said with a smirk, making Alex laugh.

Ivy glared at her.

Rei patted the seat next to her and looked at Alex, “Come sit.”

Alex grinned and planted herself next to Rei.

“Are you guys excited or what? Apparently we have magic in us and ! I had no ing clue. I’ve lived my whole life thinking I was just an ordinary girl, well not that ordinary but still…Then one day I get a ing letter from Hogwarts and here I am!”

“Here you are!” Rei smiled, the girl’s excitement was cont

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter