One Time

YunRi: Classic One-Shots (February - March)

One Time


 

 

He looked up at the sky before closing his Audi 5.  He could see the stars up above him though most of the sky is covered by the high skyscrapers around him.  He could feel that his night is going to be his lucky night again.  He walked confidently through the sliding doors of one of the most expensive high rise in the city.  He was expectedly greeted by the staff.  He got on to the elevator and Katy Perry's voice filled his ear.  He chuckled and pushed the button for the nineteenth floor where Changmin's new place was.

"Wait!"

Yunho's hand instantly pushed the open button to let the woman get in the elevator.  The first thing that he noticed was the sweet scent of lavender.

"Thanks," said the woman.  He looked up and saw her smiling at him through their reflection.  He found her smile very cute.  It was an impish little smile, her eyes stretched a little downwards that seemed to smile themselves.

He returned the smile before she turned to her bag and started to rummage for something.  He noticed the almost straight brows even as they scrunched to a frown.  He noticed her long black hair.  It was her most attractive feature.  He wanted to burrow his head in that softness and try to see if that sweet lavender scent came from that wonder.

"Hello, Sica.  I'm on my way," she talked to her phone.  Her voice was sweet.  There was a hint of child-like innocence in her voice that made him smile.  He looked at her face through her reflection.  She was one of the people whose face are like open books.  One look at her face and he could tell what she was feeling.

That whole time while she was talking to her phone, he took the time to study what he could see.  It was surprising that she could pull his attention to her without even trying.  Her hair cascaded gracefully at her back and bounced whenever she moved.  He noticed the smile lines that get deeper as her smile widens.  He loved the simplicity in her.  In fact, he was blown away at how beautiful she looked at her simple ensemble.  She wore a pair of stone-washed jeans and a black blouse.  The simple ensemble revealed her figure.  She has a very tiny waist that highlighted her wide hips.  His eyes traveled down to her long legs.

Ding!

Before his eyes could go on further, the elevator already stopped on his floor.  When she also got out, his hope of getting to know her rose. She could be one of Changmin's friends.  But he was disappointed when she stopped at the door beside Changmin's door.  Regret flooded when she finally got inside the door and he didn't even got her name.


 

Yunho never considered himself as a party animal.  He was just your regular party goer who drinks and talks to random people like what he was doing.  He was watching Junsu who was talked by Changmin to go chug a beer bong.  He was sure Yoochun wouldn't be happy to take a drunken Junsu home again.

"Hey, you okay?" Jaejoong nudged him.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he said.  He knew Jaejoong didn't believe him.  The girl he met on the elevator wouldn't leave his mind.  Actually, the lavender scent seemed to still linger in his nose.  If he could just see her one more time this night...

"You know, you could lie to anyone but not to me," Jaejoong said.  "It's not you to ignore the girls that were hitting on you.  This is Changmin's party.  The girls are all hot."

"I know.  It's just that... We're not in college anymore."

At that instant, he saw the girl walked in.  She was with a bubbly blond girl and seemed to be unsure if she should be there.  The jeans and the blouse were gone.  Instead she was wearing a black skin tight pants and a silver sleeveless top.  She looked taller than earlier so she might be wearing high heels.  He looked at Jaejoong who was also looking at the same girl with an open mouth.

"Mine," He called on the dibs.  She has caught more than his attention now and he wants to make sure that he'd get her name tonight.  Jaejoong laughed.

"Sure.  If she's the only one who could make your off that counter."

He just shook his head and stood up anyway.  He made his way to the elevator girl who was being introduced by the blond to Changmin.  He could tell that Changmin has a thing for the blond.

"Changmin, this is Yuri.  She is the friend I was telling you about yesterday," said the blond.

"Hi, Yuri.  I'm Jessica's new neighbor.  Please do enjoy the party," Changmin was playing the part of the good host.

Yunho didn't know how to enter the scene.  What if she won't recognize him?  But his question was answered when their eyes met.  The world just stopped turning.  The people around them turned into gray and she was the only colored thing he could see.  Her eyes shone with recognition and parted as if in awe that they met again.  He wanted to keep that moment stashed somewhere in his memory for some reason.

"Hi!"  He knew where he would enter after that wonderful momentarily glimpse of paradise.  He almost laughed at the crimson tinge that her light make up couldn't hide.

"Hey," she said, flustered.  He saw her right hand tapping her thigh.  It must be a habit when she was nervous.  The reaction somehow made him happy. 

"You know each other?" Changmin asked.  His friend seemed delighted with that piece of notion while the blond looked at him defiantly.

"Not really."  He decided to stay on the friend's good side.  "We met on the elevator earlier."  The blond's mouth formed an 'o' with and looked at Yuri.  "I am Yunho."  She looked at the blond first before accepting his waiting hand.

"Yuri.  Nice to meet you," she smiled showing a perfect set of white teeth.  "This is Jessica.  She just lives next door."

Yunho didn't know how but he ended spending the rest of the night with her.  She was so fun to be with and the more time he spent with her, the more he wanted to know more about her.  He learned that she just finished studying Korean Literature in Chung Ang University.  She was very much interested in poetry but there was no indication that she was until she told him so.  She recited a prose from an ancient writer he could barely remember.  He would have laughed if it was anyone else but it was different when she did it.

He smiled.  Nobody has ever affected him like Kwon Yuri did.  As he watched her recite, he knew he should do everything not to let her go.  He just knew.


 

Yunho ran his fingers on the hood of his Audi 5.  He was almost tempted to buy a new one when Yuri said she preferred red Ferrari.  Someone who could see him now might think that he was crazy.  Who in their right mind would stay on a high place alone enduring the night's chill.  But he didn't care at all.  Like that night two years ago, he could feel that it was his lucky night.

After a few while, a red customized Nissan pickup parked beside his car.  His heart started pounding hard.  After this night, everything would change again.  He watched as the driver of the car got out and gracefully walked over to him.  She was still as beautiful as ever.  Even the dim light from his car is enough to see her unfading beauty.

"It was hard finding you," she chided him lightly before she kissed him.

"But I was sure to put a tracking device on me," he grinned.  He hugged her.  Three years have passed and he had never let her go.  He had fallen deeply in love with her.  Everytime he would see her smile, her face and hear her laughter, her voice, feel her touch, there's always a reason why he lived.  He simply found the reason of his existence.  He buried his head in her hair.

Lavender.

It was that same scent she had the first time he met her.  They stayed like that for a moment or two.  He then pulled away gently and bent on his one knee.  He opened the velvet box that had been on his hand for a while.

"Kwon Yuri, you are the reason why my life became more meaningful.  I would love to spend the rest of my life with you.  I want to see your eyes smiling when you smile or laugh.  I want to hear you laugh at my jokes.  I want to hear you singing out of tune and reciting Song of Yellow Birds.  I want to feel your touch and taste your cooked dishes.  Forever.  Please marry me."

He could feel his knees weaken and his outstretched arms shaking.  He knew even two years ago that Yuri would be the one he'd ask this question.  Three years, he spent his life letting her feel how much she changed him and how much he loved her.

She hesitated on taking the ring, her eyes watery with emotions.  It was the perfect night.  They were under the sky full of shining promises.  Was she ready to commit her life with him?

"Yes!" she breathed.  Yunho suddenly stood up and hugged her again.  She just made him the happiest man that night.

"You just made my life complete," he said while he grabbed the champagne that he brought.  Champagne for celebration.

"Are you crazy?  I would've said yes when you asked me at the elevator three years ago!"

Yunho laughed heartily.  And he would've asked her right back then.  Maybe fate gave them time so that they would always have three years of wonderful memories together.  Looking back, they have gone through so much and their love grew.

"Do you think Jessica would be happy to see Changmin again?"

"She has no choice.  I am her bestfriend and she should come to my wedding."

"But Sooyoung and Changmin would be there, too."

"I don't know why it didn't work out for them."

"But you know, we shouldn't be talking about them.  Why don't we talk about baby Yunho and baby Yuri?"

Yuri giggled.  Somewhere in the sky, a star or two fell.  But Yunho needed no wishing stars.  He got his wish.  Kwon Yuri would be with him.  Forever. 


 

A/N:  Always grab that one chance.