Perfect

YunRi: Classic One-Shots (February - March)

 

 



Perfect

 

 


 

 

Four thirty-seven.

She still got time.

Yuri checked herself in the mirror once more and checked how she looked like.  Many people would say that she is already as it is.  What do they know?  She is actually plagued with imperfections.  She could make a long list of how sadly imperfect she is.  She smiled.  It’s amusing how her pessimism is showing right now.  She looked at the mirror and her two imperfections were already showing: she is a pessimist and she’s got this pair of deep smile lines that ruin her smile.  Only her freak of an ex-boyfriend loves her smile lines.

The smile on her reflection’s face faded at the thought of her ex-boyfriend, Jung Yunho.  It’s been what, three weeks and two days already?  Yes, three weeks and two days   since her biggest pessimistic deed.  Back before that span of said period, she was totally happy with Yunho.  It was six months of happiness and imperfection was not even in her vocabulary.  Yunho was sweet, dependable, strong, smart, rich and handsome.  He was the perfect guy everyone dreams of and he was in love with her.

Her ideal guy got a name when she met Yunho.  It was easy to fall in love with him.  From the day that they were together, he kept giving her surprises even with just the smallest things.  Her roommate, Victoria, would always gush at how perfect the look together.  She would just smile.  Of course, she thought.  She wouldn’t entertain him at all if she saw a single flaw in him from her list.  She’s got the list of qualities that a guy should have to be perfect.  So it made sense that at twenty, Yunho was her first boyfriend.  You can call her picky or whatever term that might fancy you but she was a romantic girl.  She wants the perfect guy for herself.

And she almost had him, the perfect guy until that Thursday night she decided to surprise him and dropped by on his apartment.  She was greeted by a drunken Changmin who was talking gibberish.  She found Yunho on their cozy couch with a cigarette in hand and a bottle of Budweiser in front of him.  She didn’t mind Junsu who was on the floor already passed out.  Yunho instantly stood up upon seeing her, his drunken stupor washing away.  She was sure that she could hear Jaejoong laughing excessively somewhere in the house.  She was even tempted to look and find out if rumors about him running when drunk was true but she was rooted to her spot while staring back her disappointment to Yunho.  He knew that he ruined her trust and their relationship.  It was fine if he was just drinking but the cancer stick in his hand ruined his perfect image.  She hated smokers and her boyfriend was one.  She her heel and went out.

She heard him call out her name but she just kept on going.  She bumped into Yoochun who had more bottles of drinks in the plastic bag he was carrying.  She just bowed to him and hurriedly walked away.  And just like that, their relationship was over.  She wanted to avoid him like the plague but he was already doing that for her.  Every time she would see his other buffoon friends but never him.  Every passing day she was hoping that he would come and see her but he didn’t.  She was starting to question what she did.

Her phone started ringing.  It was Yoona.

“Hello.”

“Yah, where are you?  Tiffany’s on her limits.  You should be here soon before she snaps at me,” Yoona on the other line said.

Their sorority is having their yearly fund raising event for their charity.  She and Yoona were two of the organizers and Tiffany is the head organizer.  There’s be an auction where nine of their best sisters would be up for the bidding.  The bidders will get to date them.  They would be sure to be packed since their sorority is known to house the bests of the best: the best singer, the best dancer, the most intelligent, the most beautiful and lots more.

“I’ll be there.  What about Jessica?”       

”She won’t be here until the event begins.  You’d know she’d still be sleeping by now.”

“Yoona, are you sure this thing works?  You need to test this first,” she heard Tiffany saying on the other line.

“Uh.  Okay,” Yoona answered Tiffany and went back to her, “I have to go.  You should hurry before she gets me.  And get me some food.  I am starving already.”


 


 

 

“Are you sure this thing will work?” Yunho eyed Junsu, the dork has a plan to bring Yuri back to him.

“I told you, this will work.  Even Changmin agrees with me,” Junsu said and ribbed Changmin who seemed to be spacing out.

“What?  Oh, yes.  I think you look great with that hair,” he answered absent-mindedly.

“Yah!  What’s wrong with you?  You are messing this up, you know,” Junsu yelled.

“Fine!  I heard Kyuhyun’s going to bid for someone.  What if it’s Sooyoung?  I don’t think I have enough cash with me.”

“Changmin, for a straight A student, you are extremely stupid.  We are up to Yunho so he’d lend us the money to bid for Sooyoung and Taeyeon.”

Yunho watched his two friends in amusement.  He didn’t know if he’d be pissed or laugh.  He knew that bidding for Yuri doesn’t guarantee that they’d be together again but there’s no harm in trying.  But watching these two, he already doubted Junsu’s plan.

“I’m sure you’d use up all his money on Taeyeon alone.  Leeteuk and Wooyoung have got mean cash withdrawn yesterday for Taeyeon,” Changmin reasoned to Junsu.

“Go borrow some money from Jaejoong then.  That guy’s filthy rich and he’s got some mean liking to you,” Junsu said. 

“He bought a new camera yesterday because you broke his DSLR.  And don’t ask me to go to Yoochun.”

“Aish.  Just ask Sooyoung to back out then,” Junsu said unhelpfully.  The two of them looked hilarious already.

“Fine.  I will lend you two the money.  You look pitiful already.  Just promise me that you’ll truly help me with this,” Yunho said.

“Yunho, you will thank us after this.  This will work.  Taeyeon and Sunny already said that they’re going to help you,” Junsu said, grinning like a cat.

Yunho just grimaced.  Of course, he still got doubts but he has to take his chances.  He knew that he’s not perfect but he would prove to Yuri that his love for her is greater than her list on a piece of paper.


 


 

 

Yuri looked at the dress Sunny shoved into her face.  One of their sisters couldn’t come so they needed someone to replace her. And Taeyeon decided that it should be her.  She couldn’t voice out her objection as others already agreed and Sunny exclaimed that she had the perfect dress for her.  And true enough, Sunny brought out a purple dress her size.

“Sunny, I don’t want to accuse you with anything but what are you doing with a dress that’s not your size?” she asked.

“That’s supposed to be for Sooyoung but it’s rather loose on the chest area, it looks like a plunging neckline to her.”

“Yah!  You little runt!  I have a slim figure and that doesn’t include a big chest,” Sooyoung defended.

“Shut up, you giraffe!  It’s your turn next, Eunhyuk already got Hyoyeon,”Taeyeon interjected.  Height issues bring the two together.

“I’ll let this pass for now.  If only I don’t owe this to Minnie’s stupid plan…” Sooyoung grumbled as she made her way to their makeshift stage.  Yuri watched as Sooyoung cat-walked on the stage like a pro.

“Yuri, it’s your turn after me,” Seohyun said.  The two of them were the ones left.  Taeyeon almost jumped off the stage to Junsu when he secured their date.  Sungmin got Sunny, Taeceyeon’s teeth were once again exposed when he won the Jessica over Jonghyun, Wooyoung who originally aimed for Taeyeon, bid for Tiffany and Donghae outbid almost all guys for Yoona.

“Right,” she went to change into Sunny’s dress.  When she was done, she saw Sooyoung grinning from ear to ear.

“Yuri, are you ready?  You’re the last one up!” she said excitedly.

 “Uh.  I think so.  So, who’s the unlucky guy?”

“Changmin!  I can’t wait,” she gushed.  Then her eyebrows shot up.  Changmin and Junsu were at the event.  She wondered whether Yunho was also there and if he did perhaps try to bid on her sisters.

“Kyuhyun bids Seohyun for six hundred dollars!” Shinyoung, their MC, announced.  Six hundred dollars?  Her eyes widened.  Could her price be even near that?

“Yuri, you’re next!” Taeyeon exclaimed.  She and Sunny pushed Yuri to the stage.

“Our last present for today, Kwon Yuri!” Shinyoung’s voice deafened her.  She walked to the center of the stage as the men from the audience “oooh’ed” and “aah’ed”.  She looked through the crowd and saw Yesung who waved at her like a fanboy and her seatmate in her Inferential Calculus class.  She could see familiar faces among the crowd.

“Since Yuri is the last one up for bidding, we will start at three hundred dollars,” Shinyoung announced.  Everyone in the crowd applauded.  “Bidding starts now!”

“Three hundred dollars!” someone shouted.  Yuri couldn’t believe it.  She never thought she was even worth one hundred dollars but the bids just kept on going higher and higher.

“C’mon guys, is that all you’ve got?”  It was Taeyeon’s voice.  Yuri looked at where Shinyoung was supposed to be but she was already gone.  Taeyeon and Sunny already got the microphones while walking towards her.

“You are seeing one of SNSD Sorority’s finest,” Sunny exclaimed and she slapped Yuri’s which sent the guys clapping and howling like animals.  Yuri gritted her teeth.  The little duo are hard selling her.  She should join Sooyoung to her rally against these two.  “You could do better than that,” Sunny continued.

“I’m sorry Yuri!  This is sure money so we have to raise your price.  Someone promised to double the highest bid,” Taeyeon whispered.  She wanted to ask what taeyeon was talking about but somebody already shouted an outrageous amount.

“Seven hundred dollars!”  It was Junsu.  She was beyond confused right now.

“Six hundred ten!” It was Nichkhun, another resident rich kid of their university.

“Six hundred twenty!” And the bids went higher again.  It was ridiculous for Yuri.  Who would spend their money to have a date with her when she could see her bidders to be gorgeous men in their own right?  There were Siwon, Nichkhun and Minho.  She was starting to wonder if this turned into a battle of pride between the three.

“One thousand dollars!” Siwon shouted victoriously.  Nichkhun already stopped at nine hundred dollars  and the rich Chois were the only ones left.

 “One thousand dollars from Choi Siwon.  Can any bidder top it?  What about Choi Minho?” Taeyeon asked.  Minho shook his head and smiled sadly at Yuri.  Taeyeon and Sunny looked at each other.

“Ah.  Should we call Choi Seung Hyun to continue bidding?” Sunny quipped as the audience laughed at the mention of T.O.P’s name.  He was the one who bid for Yuri last year.

“Seems that the Chois have something for our Kwon Yuri,” Sunny quipped again which drew delighted response from the audience.  “Will another Choi bag Yuri this year?”

“Three.”

“Two.”

“On-“

“Two thousand dollars!” Somebody shouted out of nowhere.

Everyone looked around to see who was the guy aside from the Chois who would stash cold money for a date with Kwon Yuri.

“Pardon?” Sunny said.

“Two thousand dollars!” came again.  Yuri’s heart lurched.  She knew that voice even from the first call.  She would know that deep and throaty voice anywhere.

“Higher than two thousand dollars?” Taeyeon’s voice also went up an octave higher.  Even Siwon couldn’t speak.  He didn’t expect anyone to bring that much money.  “No?  Okay.  Whoever bid for two thousand dollars, please come up the stage.”

Yuri’s heart stopped beating when Yunho removed his cap and moved towards them.  He was looking straight at her.  Deep longing, apology and love were in his eyes, hoping that Yuri would accept him again and his flaws with him.  Yuri didn’t hear Taeyeon announcing that Yunho finally bid her.

“Jung Yunho, is there something you want to say say to Yuri?” Sunny asked.  Yunho took the microphone from her.

“Yes,” he said and turned to her again.  “I am sorry but I love you.”

“I know that you want the perfect guy.  And I won’t argue because I also want a perfect guy for you.  You deserve it.  But what’s perfect?  Should he be strong, rich, smart, gentleman and tall?  I could be those for you.  He shouldn’t be a smoker?  I will give cigarettes.  I know it wouldn’t be easy but you’re more than the nicotine in my system.  I could be the perfect guy.  But let me tell you what the perfect guy for you is.  He should love you more than anything in this world.  He should be able to make you happy.  He should be able to make you feel contented.  He should be ready to sacrifice everything for you.”

Yuri was already crying.  Her heart would burst for so much happiness for Yunho’s speech.  No one has declared so much love to her like this.  She was so bent up in finding the perfect guy and she turned her back on him when she saw just one flaw in him.

“The perfect guy for you would prove that his love for you is greater than your list of what a perfect guy should be.  You would be worth more two thousand dollars for him.  Kwon Yuri, I am the perfect guy for you.”

Yuri heard a sigh from her back and there was a total silence.  Everyone was waiting for her answer.  This is her chance to make a dream come true; to find the perfect guy, the one who would turn her world upside down; the one that she loves.

“I know,” she croaked.  “I know.  You, Jung Yunho, are the perfect guy for me.”

Yunho pulled her to him as his signature gorgeous smile appeared.  There was a loud cheer from the crowd and her sisters.

“YunRi are back together!” Taeyeon announced.

“And because of that, Yunho’s bid is raised to ten thousand dollars,” Sunny said.

“Hey, that’s too much!” Yuri said as she tried to break free from Yunho but he only hugged her tighter.

“Don’t worry.  I already told you, you’re worth more than two thousand dollars,” Yunho whispered.  “You’re worth more than the most expensive thing on Earth.”

Yuri smiled.  She was contented to be in his embrace.  They fit together.  They’re perfect for each other.


 


 

 

AN: We always try to find the perfect guy and we forget to see the pefect ones for us.