Chapter 3

Growing up With You

Present day 

It’s been a week and Chanyeol’s proud to say he hasn’t tried to reach out to Baekhyun. There was a valid excuse. He was also really occupied with his music projects he’d been contracted to do. After his Dean collab, people were impressed. They were sending his entertainment company emails after emails and when that didn’t work they’d show up to his studio begging for a hit single. It had taken Chanyeol a long time to come this far in his career so he didn’t mind boasting about it.

Toben seemed to be getting better with the antibiotics. They would go out on more walks and he was joyful as can be.

Thought of Baekhyun slowly began to drift away, only to be brought back by small insignificant things. He remembered how much Baekhyun loved his music, his support was one of the reasons Chanyeol stood at this degree of success. He should thank him for that, atleast? 

 

No. He thought. 

 

I'm just justifying seeing someone who has been purposely ignoring me for five years. 

 

He didn’t care what Baekhyun did for him. It didn’t matter because the younger had thrown that all way in the span of five years. Chanyeol was an adult now with errands to run. Places to be. It wasn’t wise to dwell on the thought of Baekhyun who probably never thought about him.

 

He got a text from Kyungsoo.

 

Since you got #1 for an entire week, we’re eating out today, my treat. <3

 

Chanyeol smiled. He had been taking Toben for a little evening stroll. He answered.

 

From Chanyeol: I owe you that much for getting me in touch with Dean.

 

From Kyungsoo: See you tonight :)))

 

Chanyeol walked a whole round through the park until he felt that Toben had gotten enough air. He had suffered a lot taking those antibiotics but thankfully he pulled through. He was the happiest pup to exist. When they rounded to corner towards Chanyeol’s studio he felt Toben tug on his leash.

He turned, glaring at his dog for walking too slowly. 

Toben barked three times, and signalled his head behind him, towards a shrub.

Chanyeol broke through the bush, to reveal a small pomeranian, who looked to be sleeping. 

Toben whimpered, though.

On closer inspection it seems that the poor dog had a gash on his leg. Chanyeol carefully picked up the dog, who weighed no more than a sack of potatoes and made a tsk sound when he saw his injury.

 

“Good sense’s Toben, we gotta get this dog help. He’s really ill.” Chanyeol wrapped Toben’s leash tight around his wrist as he carried the faint dog in his other arm.

Chanyeol stopped midway when he realized what he had just signed himself up to.

God, is there any other way we can help this dog? Aren’t there any other dog clinics nearby? Why oh must why I had to find this dog?

He knew the cat clinic lady wouldn’t let him come in, besides the clinic wasn’t 24 hours like Puppy Love was. It seemed that he was going to meet Baekhyun again, involuntarily.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

But it’s not Baekhyun this time. He hates admitting that he’s relieved but also a little disappointed. The other vet who works in the clinic is really tall (taller than Chanyeol)  and has wispy blonde hair. His badge says the name: Kris 

 

“I think I saw you and the black poodle pop in the other day? How’d it go?” Kris asked.

 

Chanyeol smiled nervously, “Ah well...I had an emergency. So...me and Toben ended up going to another clinic nearby.” He lied.

 

Kris laughed, “Ah I see. Well, this dog is in serious need of operation. I know you’re not it’s guardian, but since you did bring it here it would be appreciated if you could stay until we’re done. It’s only minor. It seems to have gotten a piece of glass stuck into its leg.”

 

Chanyeol nodded, without hesitance. He sat down on the waiting seat near the operation table, letting Toben sit on his lap.

 

“Baekhyun!” Kris called.

 

Chanyeol tensed in his chair. He made Toben bark from fear. The effect that even a name had on him was alarming. 

Out from the door came Byun Baekhyun in his lab coat, wearing a mask over his face. He approached the dog who was injured, inspecting the gash on it’s leg. Somehow, he had missed Chanyeol’s glaring eyes.

 

“It’s gonna need a few stitches.” He said,

 

“Okay, I’ve got a late appointment right now, I’ll leave you to this?” Kris said.

 

“On it.” Baekhyun replied.

 

Chanyeol watched Baekhyun open up a huge light that hovered over the dog, he began to get out a bunch of metal instruments he wasn’t too familiar with. It was only ten minutes later when Chanyeol had almost forgotten he was in the room, Baekhyun spoke up.

 

“I’m happy you brought this dog here. It wouldn’t have survived another day.” Baekhyun told Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol noticed the slight falter in Baekhyun’s voice. He was different from last time. Didn’t have a poker face nor a distant way of talking. It felt like the old times, when they were together. 

 

“Yeah, it was the right thing to do." Chanyeol said.

 

         Having not seen the younger one in a long time, he's frustrated by the surgical mask that covers his face. He always remembered Baekhyun having a scar on his left cheek. It was from a fight Baekbeom had with him. The scar reminded Chanyeol of his connection with Baekhyun. He imagined for Baekhyun, the scar was a curse.

         Nothing else is uttered between them. 

 

        When Chanyeol walked out with the Pomeranian, he saw Kyungsoo sitting in the empty waiting room, tossing him a raised eyebrow. 

 

       "I called you multiple times and you didn't pick up." Kyungsoo whined.

 

        "Sorry, I just...I couldn't let this poor dog be left alone." He said, showing Kyungsoo the injured dog in his arms.

 

         "We'll be keeping this dog at the clinic until he is to be adopted." Baekhyun came out of the room, his mask and lab coat off.

 

         He was wearing normal people's clothes. A tight fitted cream cardigan and a t-shirt with hearts underneath. 

Baekhyun gazed at the interaction. His eyes shone with nervousness, but he had always been good with controlling his body language. The vet smiled at Chanyeol, bowing slightly.

 

“Thank you.” Said Chanyeol, glancing towards Kyungsoo.

 

His friend immediately straightened up, as he realized who was in front of him.

 

“Hello, I’m Do Kyungsoo nice to meet you. I apologize that he had to make you work so late.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled lightly, revealing a small dimple along the bottom of his chin.

 

“I’m Baekhyun, it’s no worries really. Chanyeol’s an old friend of mine.”

 

Chanyeol made a funny face before gently pulling on Toben’s leash to move him towards the exit. Old friend? Is that what Baekhyun thought their relationship was right now? From what he remembered after they parted five years ago, Baekhyun had not said such things. They had been much more. 

What was he to expect? Baekhyun to run back in his arms and willy-nilly?

No, this is what Baekhyun had become and maybe everyone had accepted it.

 

“We should get going,” Chanyeol said.

----------------------------------------------------------

 

“That was so rude.” Kyungsoo told him, “You’re a 26 year old man, Chanyeol. For god sakes, act like one.”

 

Chanyeol closed the door of the car and looked straight ahead. 

 

“Let's go eat burritos or something.” He said, ignoring the comment.

 

Kyungsoo, took the keys out of the car, and put the car in park. He crossed his arms over his chest, sneering at his friend.

 

“How do you ever expect to reconcile with him if you are going to be acting all stand-offish like this?” Kyungso asked.

 

“I don’t want to reconcile with him! I tried for five years! Dammit!”  Chanyeol kicks the floor of the car, earning a whimper from Toben in the back seat. 

 

“I know you do.” Kyungsoo said calmly, “This isn’t you. Chanyeol.”

 

“Well maybe this is me, now. Maybe he changed so much...I changed with him.” Said Chanyeol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 

May 2003- one month until highschool graduation 

 

Later that saturday evening, after being isolated in his bedroom for so long Baekbeom finally had the decency to invite him over. 

 

Chanyeol and Beom had grown so busy they barely saw each other. Their usual weekend video game hangouts were pretty much non-existent as a result of scramming to graduate this year.

Beom was stressed. His best friend could tell that much. Whenever they saw each other at school and Chanyeol attemped to make plans and relax from all the stress of senior year, Baekbeom would blow him off, say he had to do volunteer hours, write an application to Yale. 

It was very clear what type of family Baekbeom came from, so he couldn’t blame him. Their luxurious life style wasn’t free. His parents were basically millionaires but they were also highly successful dentists.They knew everything came with hard work. It was only natural they wanted their children to follow in their footsteps. Tiger parents like those, made Beom work his off all day, trying to get into the best college. 

 

They had both gotten new flip phones. Nokia ones. Chanyeols' wasn’t as nearly as good as Beom's, but he was happy none-theless. He got a text from his friend.

 

From Beom: Hey, come over I need a break from all this studying.

 

Chanyeol smiled at his phone, typing back quickly, he wrote, 

 

Basketball?

 

From Beom: Sure.

 

He brought his own scruffy looking ball remembering that one of the neighbours had stolen Beom's one and made his way to the front door, feeling his heart thump in his chest and his gut jitter. Anyone could tell by looking at Chanyeol’s face the real reason he wanted to come over to the Byun house.

Beom opened the door, letting him in doing a special handshake the two friends shared. Then he told him he needed to go change into more comfortable clothing to play.

Chanyeol was distracted, though. He saw near the closet an unopened luggage, and a familiar pair of shoes in the closet. 

 

Baekhyun was back.

 

Baekhyun had gone on a four month exchange to Germany. In that period of time, Chanyeol had realized how much he missed Baekhyun. Without him, the house felt empty. Besides, he had left without a true goodbye.

After Baekhyun had told him something so intimate about him, it was hard to admit that Baekhyun didn’t even call when he was abroad.

 

Chanyeol tried to down play his excitement when Baekhyun came jogging down the stairs.

 

For the very first time, Baekhyun seemed flustered to see Chanyeol.

 

“Oh...I didn’t know you were coming over.” Said Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat, stuffing his hands in his sweat pant pockets, making it seem like he was just dropping by, nonchalant. 

 

“Yeah, I-well me and Beom wanted to play basketball.” He shrugged. “I didn’t know you were going to be back today.”

 

Baekhyun was vibrant. He had on a simple black t-shirt and blue jeans. His eyes looked a little red and puffy like he had just woken up and he seemed a little timid. 

 

“Oh-” Baekhyun started.

 

“I'm glad you’re back.” Chanyeol said.

 

“Me too.” Baekhyun smiled.

 

Their little moment was broken as Beom came down the stairs, shoving his little brother to the side and snatching the basketball form Chanyeol.

 

Don’t even think about telling him to come play with us.” Beom was loud enough for Baekhyun to hear.

 

“I can hear you!” His brother came to slap his arm, but he missed.

 

“Anyways, whatever isn’t one of your friends coming over?” Beom reasoned. 

 

Baekhyun pursed his lips. He looked back at Chanyeol who was still standing in the same spot near the closet.

 

“I’ll talk to you later, I guess.” He said.

 

“Y-yeah, um...can I get your number?”

 

Baekhyun eased into a smile, taking out his phone so fast he could barely breathe. He grabbed Chanyeol’s phone and put in the contacts.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Chanyeol’s eyes flickered between his cell phone on his bed and his homework waiting to be completed. He hated himself for immediately reaching for his phone in the middle of the night.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Three rings, that’s all it took.

 

“Hello?” Baekhyun said on the other line.

 

Chanyeol swallowed hard. What was he doing? Was he insane? Why had he just called Beom’s little brother at 12 am? What was he thinking? Oh god he felt so embarrassed.

 

“Hey, I just wanted to catch up. I know you’re always busy and stuff, but I thought you probably would be free at this time?” Said Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun’s phone made a static sound on the other end, not something you’d expect from an expensive cell phone.

 

“I did too. I wanted to tell you how amazing Germany was. God, Chanyeol I met the most amazing people! Oh and I had this amazing German roast beef and I know how much you love cooking and would have loved to try it.”

 

Within thirty minutes, Baekhyun had spilled out his thoughts and adventures as an exchange student. Chanyeol sat there, listening to the melodic sound of Baekhyun’s happy voice, wondering why he couldn’t be like this all the time? Chanyeol was a good listener, especially when it came to Baekhyun.

 

“Seems like you had a lot of fun. I’ll cook that German food you like so much. How were the other students?” He asked.

 

Baekhyun responded, “They were nice -were very confused that Americans weren’t as stupid as they thought.”

 

Chanyeol laughed, laying on the bed, squeezing a pillow over his chest. 

 

“Don’t tell me you like it so much you’re going back.”

 

“I would, but I love home.”

 

“Oh? Didn’t find any potential boyfriend’s there?” Chanyeol was being brave now.

 

He could envision  Baekhyun rolling his eyes.

 

“No…” His voice was heavy.

 

Chanyeol changed the subject. 

 

“Listen, we need to go out and go bowling or something. Heck- we can do anything you want.”

 

Two hours passed.Their conversation on the phone went on until 2:00 am in the morning. It was like everything in the universe had stopped around them and they were sitting in a bubble, just the two of them.

Baekhyun yawned.

 

“You should get some sleep. I’m sorry for taking up your time.” Chanyeoo said.

 

“You didn’t take any time from me. I liked this.”

“Okay, well...then I’ll call you again? Some time?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“Yeah, I’d like that.” Baekhyun’s face was pulled up into a smile.

 

“Bye, good night.”

 

“Good night, Chanyeol.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekbeom heaved a sigh, frustrated by the words written so far.

 

“It’s , complete .” He told Chanyeol.

 

His best friend shakes his head, reassuring him that the application is fine and that he should just get it over with and submit it. They were in the school library, taking a little bit of time after school to submit their finished college applications. Chanyeol had applied to local universities while Beom was adamant on striving in Ivy League schools. His best friend was smart, and he believed in him, but he always wondered if this is what Beom really wanted.

He knew Beom had a passion for things that didn’t require high education. He was worried this process could destroy his friend.

 

“How about, I come over today, and we play a little b-ball to get things off your mind?” Chanyeol suggested.

 

Baekbeom nodded, “Yeah, that would be good.” He said, “Come over at like six.”

 

Chanyeol, rings the doorbell, and when no one answered, he knocked on the door this time. He held his basketball on his hip.

A stranger opened the door.

 

He was expecting Beom, maybe even Baekhyun, but this came as a surprise.

 

His stance was confident, like he’d been here before and his almond shaped eyes looked straight into Chanyeol, before he turned back a heel and called for someone.

The guy pocketed his hands in his leather jacket and gave Chanyeol a look before walking back into the house as Beom came to the door.

 

“Hey, oh good, you brought the ball.” Beom pulled on his sneakers and made his way to the driveway, where the hoop was. 

 

Chanyeol walked behind him, a little confused.

 

“Who was the guy at the door?” He asked.

 

“Oh him, just a friend of Baek’s.” Baekbeom passed him the ball.

 

Chanyeol ended up playing a heated match of one-on-one basketball with Baekbeom. Since he had grown taller, he noticed how much easier it was to hold the ball higher up and make a shot. Eventually, they got tired and Chanyeol decided to cook something for his friend as they hadn’t done so in a long time. 

In the kitchen, Chanyeol whipped up a masterful strawberry shortcake as his friend sat in the family room playing video games. So far he had already cooked the cake part and cut and washed the juicy strawberries, all that was left was to top it off with icing and join the pieces together. 

As he mixed the buttercream, he heard the sound of feet thumping down the stairs.

 

“Tell mom and dad I’ll be back by 9:00.” Baekhyun came to tell his brother.

 

Chanyeol turned so quickly, he almost dropped his icing. 

Baekhyun perhaps hadn’t noticed Chanyeol’s presence as he rushed out the door with his ‘friend’ the tall-tan guy who had opened the door from before. 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

They hung out until night time, with Chanyeol yelling at the T.V because Baekbeom was beating him so bad in a game of super smash bros. 

 

“You’re so done this time.” Chanyeol started the game again, fired up.

 

“Hold on, I need to pee.” Baekbeom paused the game.

 

Chanyeol slumped down, anxiously tapping his foot for his friend to arrive. After five minutes or so it was clear that his friend wasn’t to arrive too soon.

 

“Are you doing number two, Beom?” Laughed Chanyeol.

 

“Shut up!” He yelled.

 

Chanyeol shook his head, realizing how much he missed hanging out with his best friend. How much he missed being at his home, cooking food for him and playing basketball. He sighed a sigh of relief, feeling like all his stress about university had been washed away. 

His eyes were getting a little tired from looking at the T.V screen so he decided to lounge in the living room, outlooking the other houses in the neighbourhood. 

Lurched on top of the sofa, he began playing with fingers bored.

And when he looked back up from the window he saw Baekhyun, strolling along the sidewalk with his friend, the no-name tan dude.

Chanyeol’s eyebrow quirked up, watching the two laugh about something.

 

In any other circumstance, he probably wouldn’t have been so suspicious, but Baekhyun seemed close to this man. Perhaps a boyfriend? No, Baekhyun would have told him. 

The tan guy came to a stop on the driveway in front of them. He reached into his pocket and handed Baekhyun a small item.

Chanyeol’s breath hitched. 

He watched in complete fury as the stranger began to light a match and casually hand Baekhyun a cigarette. 

After that, Chanyeol couldn’t think straight.

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

He burst out the front door, fists clenched.

 

Baekhyun was the first to notice him as he narrowed his eyes in confusion.

 

“What the f**k is wrong with you!” Chanyeol swatted the poison out of his hand.

 

“Chanyeol- stop!” Baekhyun held him back from pouncing on his friend.

 

They began to fight. His name was Kai, two years younger than him and yet, just as tall. Kai was trying to  block his punches. Chanyeol couldn’t stop thinking about how this dirty, slimy snake was trying to get Baekhyun to smoke. It made his head run wild, his eye’s bulged.

If someone doesn’t hold me back, I’m going to kill him. He remembered thinking. 


 

He threw him down, but then Kai took one of his legs and brought him down on the drive way. Chanyeol’s elbow grazed the cement, he couldn’t feel a thing. He threw a punch, then another. 

Baekhyun’s pleading voice was just background noise.

 

Beom came then. He was able to separate the two. He yelled at them to quit fighting. When the chaos finally died down, Kai had already left, cursing names at Chanyeol. Baekhyun had told him to go home for now.

Chanyeol could finally make sense of reality.

 

“I can’t believe you would do that! I didn’t think you could stoop this low.” Chanyeol spat.

 

Baekhyun’s jaw locked, “Excuse me?” He said.

 

Beom looked between the two confusion riddled his face.

 

“You’re just a kid and he was making you smoke!” Yelled Chanyeol.

 

“I’m not! I'm not just a kid. I’m sixteen! Stop acting like you’re my parent. Maybe if you actually understood that I’m just as mature as you- you-” Baekhyun’s eyes fill with tears.

 

The younger stormed off. 

 

“And there he goes again, crying.” Chanyeol sat on the pavement.

 

Beom came next to him, “Listen, I also saw Baekhyun smoking the other day, but  you can’t baby him into understanding it’s wrong. He’s older now, I stopped babying him a long time ago.”

 

Chanyeol didn’t feel like he was babying him. He felt that he was protecting Baekhyun, from all the harm that could come his way. He asked himself why? Why was he so insistent on keeping him safe? Was it because he was Baekbeom’s brother or was it something else? 

“I need to go home.”

 

He ignored Beom telling him to stay and ignore Baekhyun, ignore his stupid ways. But, this wasn’t something he could forget. For almost an hour straight when he arrived back home there were no sounds. He felt numb and empty inside. 

Chanyeol was stubborn. He was hard headed. And when something made him angry, he would do everything in his power to make things right. This was a fatal flaw of his, something that couldn’t end well. 

Chanyeol questioned himself, deeply. Was he in over his head? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Chanyeol was restless. 

Ring.Ring.Ring. 

 

The line that you are trying to reach is currently unavailable please try again later. 

Chanyeol threw his phone down.

 

At 1:00 am he heard his phone vibrate. He picked it up, answering it immediately.

 

“Hello?” Chanyeol said.

 

“Hi, um it’s Baekhyun.”

 

Chanyeol began apologizing. He poured his heart out, saying that he had never meant to hurt anyone. He apologized to that Kai guy even, making it out to be short and meaningful. He went on for about ten minutes before Baekhyun stopped him.

 

“I know, I know you’re sorry. And I am too.” Baekhyun said.

 

“For what?” Chanyeol asked. He pressed his phone closer to his ear.

 

“For being a stupid...kid. Like a dumb teenager. I know what I was doing wasn’t right and I was peer pressured. I felt that if I did it, than I wouldn’t be looked at like a kid all the time.”

“It’s not wrong to be perceived as a kid.” Chanyeol argued.

 

“I know, but when you want someone to see you as their equal it’s hard.” Baekhyun admitted. 

Chanyeol was unsure about the meaning on his words.

 

“I’m just glad I was there to stop you. Promise me you won’t do anything like that again.”

 

Baekhyun snorted, “Well promise me you won’t get into fights like that again.”

 

Chanyeol heard the competitiveness in his voice knowing that he wouldn’t win this fight. 

They talked for hours after that, until Baekhyun realized it was useless to speak on the phone when they could just meet in person.

 

“Hey, you can just come over, you know.” 

 

Chanyeol felt his heart skip a beat. 

 

“Uh, yeah sure.” Chanyeol stood from his bed.

 

“Okay, I’ll see you then, at five?” He said.

 

Chanyeol agreed. He turned off his cell and held a hand flat on his chest. He could almost feel his heart popping out. A drumming melody beating from just speaking to Baekhyun. How long was this going to last?

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

“Got a new game?” Chanyeol asked.

 

This was the second time he had been in Baekhyun’s bedroom and it hadn’t changed one bit. The same white sheets and light blue comforter. On the walls posters of bands he couldn’t name. And his huge safari animal calendar. Baekhyun was an animal lover of course. It’s too bad his parents were strict on pets in the house. 

Baekhyun shook his head, “No, not a game.” 

 

The younger ran to the end of his room, reached under the bed and took out a small green notebook. There were small music notes doodled on top of it. 

 

“Music.” Is all he had to say.

 

Chanyeol was back on his bed again. He held the acoustic guitar comfortably in his arms. The bottom resting on his thigh. He sat cross-legged and Baekhyun sat with his knees folded watching intently at the way Chanyeol played the musical instrument.

 

“So...did you want me to play all these songs?” Chanyeol squinted at the notebook that was provided to him.

 

“I researched all about guitar music sheets and I printed them out for you.” Said Baekhyun.

 

“Baekhyun, these are just chords to popular pop songs.” He said.

 

This wasn’t news to Baekhyun. He acknowledged and pointed at the one he wanted to hear. Lady Ga Ga’s Born This Way

Chanyeol smiled and found himself strumming to the song easily. He looked up to catch Baekhyun’s cute smile. His eyes light up as soon as he heard the melody. 

 

“You know you can learn these too right?” Chanyeol stopped.

 

Baekhyun forced Chanyeol's fingers back on the guitar, “I know...but I like when you play. You need to consider doing this in the future. I’m serious.” He said,

 

The last part, he strained as Chanyeol made a goofy face.

 

“Well...I’d love to pursue music...but-”

 

“But what?” Baekhyun asked.

 

It was hard to say. Especially because he had a little pride inside himself. He didn’t want to seem helpless and pitiful.

 

“I don’t know, I just- I’m not as well off as you Baekhyun. I wouldn’t even be able to afford something like this,” Chanyeol the strings of the guitar.

 

“Then take it.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“It’s yours.” 

 

Chanyeol does a double take. From the guitar to Baekhyun’s crazy grin, his dimple visible. His smile, that being of something so beautiful - much more than beautiful. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality etherealism. A smile you would come across maybe three times in your lifetime. Baekhyun’s was something to be valued- to be cherished and loved. He deserved the world.

To answer his request to keep the guitar, Chanyeol leaned forward and captured a kiss on Baekhyun’s open lips. 

They kissed softly at first, and then there was a mutual building of intensity.

It was dizzying, it was breathless, it was just right.

 

Baekhyun pulled back first. He held Chanyeol's shoulders away from himself. His ears were a blistering red. His cheeks were flushed.

 

“You should probably go home.” His voice cracked.

 

Chanyeol smirked in understanding, “Whatever you say, Tinkerbell.”