March 24th '98

Our Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The boys had not slept the entire night, they had rehearsed the two pieces they were given over and over. They could now dance Eusha Eusha in their sleep. The 6 of them had decided to sleep together in the living room the night before, "Kids, we've worked hard for the past year. Let's give it all that we got tomorrow okay!?" Dongwan shouted to them in the dark. Eric then held his hand in the air, "Shinhwa!" he shouted and the rest followed, "San!"

The boys were now seated in the waiting room of Music Tank (later renamed Music Bank) the coordis had brought in the stage outfits, baggy gray cargo pants, red t-shirts, and the oversized leather overcoat with red and white strips down the left-hand side. Minwoo and Eric were seated to get their hair styled and makeup down. Lee soo man then stepped into the room, the boys immediately stood up,

"Please, take a seat. Todays the day that we've been working towards. Go out on stage and make a name for yourselves make Shinhwa known to the world" 

and there they had it, they performed on 3 different programs for the past week and it suddenly hit the nation, the infamous International Monetary Fund crisis. The lyrics of their debut song was a tad bit sensitive for the time,

How did society become like this? The life of being guaranteed by anyone is gone. 

The emptiness in my pockets leads to the emptiness in my heart. 

No one can be trusted, can't concede for anyone because it's hard enough trying to lead my own life successfully in this world. Everyone's overflowing with greed.

they were forced to change the promotion song to another track that was on the first album Eusha Eusha it was a more upbeat song about taking a break from the hectic world and having a break to play by the sea, the reception of this song was generally much better. Andy's and Minwoo's cute dandy boy images had won over the heart of many school girls and started a trend to braid beads into one's hair. A few weeks later on August 3rd, 1998 a flood had overtaken S Korea with a death toll of 250+ 

Their debut was a failure for lack of a better word. The company had sat them down to discuss compensation for the 6 month promotion period, but with the deduction of production cost, transportation, hair, makeup, and food, they had almost nothing left over, they had underestimated the amount of food they ate. It was normal, the six teenage boys were growing and while they care constantly dancing and singing they needed to replenish all the energy, each month they had spent roughly 80,000 to 110,000 won on food alone, each. They were then sent back to the dorms and have not heard much from the company afterwards. The few fans that they had constantly stood outside the company waiting for the members to appear, one night Eric and Dongwan went drinking at a tent bar, and when they headed back to the dormitory it had been around 2 am, and a few fans were sitting by the gate. Dongwan pulled Eric's hoodie over of his face and then proceeded to do the same for himself, they carefully snuck around the back, but Eric, being the low key rowdy drunk that he is decided it was now perfect timing to shout from the top oh his lungs, "JINNIE OPEN THE DOOR HYUNG IS HOME, IT'S COLD, HURRY!" The entire neighbourhood had been made aware that Eric is home. The girls shrieked and sped towards the boys who were now trying to hop the fence since the members had not yet buzzed them in. 

"OH MY GOSH ITS ERIC AND DONG WAN OPPA!" a fan shouted. 

"Nope nope, just uhm, uh- your neighbourhood ahjussies who just so happens to live in this building as well, haha, now girls, please go home before the cops come." Dongwan said as he pitched his voice 3 tones lower and fake coughed. 

"Ya Dongwan Oppa, we know it's you!", someone replied as they tried to get a photo with Eric using their Sony Ericsson flip phone. 

In the door the boys were watching everything from the balcony, they hid behind the pots of plants so the fans wouldn't notice, 

"Hyung? Should we go save them?" Andy asked as he hid behind Minwoo watching the catastrophe downstairs. 

"No, no, let them learn their lesson, I told them not to go out and drink in the middle of a Friday night, now look, see? I was right." Hyesung shook his head as he peered over Andys shoulders. 

"Here." Junjin handed a handful of sweets to Minwoo. Minwoo twisted his face in confusion. 

"Jin-ah, what do you want me to do with this?" 

Junjin chuckled and gathered the members in a circle, "We are going to pelt the girls with candy and buy Eric and Dongwan time to sneak through the gates." 

The rest all quietly laughed out loud at his genius plan and proceeded to take a handful and pelt it down the balcony, they were quick to hide as they didn't want to get noticed, they watched as the girls back off for a brief second as they were startled by the sudden hail of Chupa Chup lollipops.

"Eric! Wan! Quick, Now!" Minwoo shouted down, he watched as they barely managed to squeeze through the gate without a fan trespassing. 

"Hey Look! It's Minwoo and Junjin Oppa!!!" a girl shouted, at this point, the boys were pretty sure they woke up the entire block. 

The boys quickly ran back inside and closed the curtain. The room filled with laughter, they were laughing so hard that Minwoo fell on top of Andy. 

Eric and Dongwan then came into the apartment and quickly slammed the door behind them. 

"That was a close call", Dongwan panted as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter