Need To Cry

Need To Cry
Please log in to read the full chapter

Maybe she shouldn't be practically stalking someone she suspected was her best friend. Her best friend who had moved away over a year ago that Haseul was still hung up about. They'd kept in touch with one another, messaging fairly often and calling when they had the free time. She couldn't deny that their hometown had been boring without the other girls presence. She also couldn't deny how stupid she was for walking right into the person she'd been following.

"Oh, I..." Haseul paused, pretending she didn't know exactly who it was she'd clumsily walked into, "Jungeun! I didn't think I'd see you around here?" Haseul was just curious, she swears that was the only reason she'd followed Jungeun into the cafe near the park they used to hang out at, swears that she didn't miss the girl like crazy.

Jungeun froze. This is exactly what she'd been trying to avoid. It's not that she didn't enjoy talking to Haseul - she adored the older girl - but now was not the time for the two of them to catch-up. Especially considering Jungeun had avoided telling Haseul she'd be coming back home. So when she went to answer the question she stuttered, then stumbled over her words in a mad rush to legitimize her being here. Not just in the café next to their hang-out spot but in their hometown after she had abruptly departed sometime last year, never to return until now.

"Ah... Ha-Haseul, uh yeah... I'm, I'm here. Right..?"

Jungeun wanted to run from her situation immediately but Haseul only smiled, somehow understanding how sudden their reunion was.

"I thought you moved to the city? You always hated it here." Haseul teased, gently bumping her shoulder against the young girl, afraid of scaring her away. Jungeun scoffed, a light blush rising on her cheeks as she tightened her ponytail hastily.

"I didn't hate it here, it just wasn't..."

"Enough?"

Haseul hadn't meant the comment to sound pointed but she couldn't take it back now. Jungeun looked at her full of anguish and wished she could go back in time.

"You know that's not why I... left."

Haseul chuckled bitterly before breaking eye contact and Jungeun felt guilt creep up . She checked her watch for the time, glad that Jinsoul had convinced her to wear it.

"Would you, maybe, wanna get some coffee?" Jungeun almost pleaded as she looked at Haseul. She'd barely been confident enough to ask.

Haseul's eyes visibly widened in surprise before a bright grin spread across her face. "Sure! Yes, excellent!"

Jungeung couldn't fight the grin that grew on her face or the comfortable feeling that washed over her when Haseul linked their arms to join the queue.

"You could go find a seat? I can get our drinks for us, if you still take the same?"

Jungeun froze. Did Haseul really remember her coffee order?

"Yeah my order's the same."

"Great! Go find us a cosy place to sit!" Haseul practically pushed Jungeun out the queue just before she had to order. Jungeun was remiss about the loss of contact and Haseul jasmine perfune that she still wore. It felt like nothing had changed between them, that Jungeun had never left.

She found them a table in a little corner, the café was quiet inside, not many people choosing to sit in. Jungeun looked back to the counter to catch Haseul's attention but the older girl was engrossed in a conversation with the barista.

"Oh! Oh my gosh!"

A bright bubbly, voice broke Jungeun's stupor and she turned to face her best friend Jiwoo.

"Jiwoo?"

"It IS you! Oh my gosh why didn't you tell you'd be arriving today!?" Jiwoo's loud voice filled the café and Jungeun could only hope that Haseul hadn't heard.

"Surprise?" Jungeun awkwardly playes it off and Jiwoo wrapped her best friend in the tightest hug.

"You said you'd let me know! You said you'd message me the time and date! I was waiting all night Jungeunie~"

Jiwoo playfully pushed her friend and smiled brightly before putting on a frown, accompanied by a cute little pout.

"Hey, don't pull that face Chuu, I just lost track of time plus Jinsoul practically launched us out the door last night."

"Ah so it's Jinsoul I have to yell at..." Jiwoo pressed a finger to her temple as if it would help her remember the information. Jungeun laughed before shaking her head with her hands on Jiwoo's shoulders.

"Jiwoo please don't yell at Soul." She looked at Jiwoo seriously before both friends burst out laughing.

"Who are you talking to?"

A tall, slender woman with short hair rounded the corner, taking Jiwoo's hand in hers before addressing Jungeun.

"Oh! You guys haven't met! This is Sooyoung! I got to know her through Haseul, they're close friends and she knows Jinsoul!"

Sooyoung smiled warmly and offered her other hand for Jungeun to shake, which she took gladly. Jiwoo almost exploded with joy at that point.

"Ahhhh my two favourite people finally meeting each other." She beamed at Sooyoung and the taller girl beamed back. Sooyoung suddenly looked behind Jungeun, letting go of Jiwoo's hand to grab something.

"Haseul you should've let Jiwoo go with you." Sooyoung scolded as Haseul appeared juggling various treats and coffee's in her arms. She brushed off Sooyoung to put everything on the table Sooyoung steadying the drinks.

"Are we changing tables Haseul?" Jiwoo asked as she brought two handbags and a jacket from the table they must have been sat at before.

Haseul blushed and opened to explain but Jungeun touches her forearm to halt her.

"It's kind of my fault for showing up out of nowhere. I should've let you know." Jungeun made sure to look at Haseul as she said it, their earlier encounter stillplaying in her mind.

"It's fine!" Jiwoo noted the tension, Sooyoung checking on Haseul silently as the bubbly girl tried to smooth over the tension. "We can all sit and eat and chat together! Don't worry Jungeun."

She smiled at her best friend comfortingly before scooting into a seat, pulling Sooyoung down next to her. Haseul took her coffee and sat across from Jiwoo, purposefully avoiding Sooyoung's piercing gaze. Jungeun sat awkwardly at the table, tracing the handle of her mug.

"Sorry I took so long, I know you guys don't have long... Oh! I haven't introduced you guys!" Haseul pointed between Sooyoung and Jungeun.

"I already did that~" Jiwoo teased, a pout forming on Haseul's face that made Jungeun smile unconsciously.

"No, you introduced me to your best friend. You never even tokd me her name." Sooyoung pointed out, Jiwoo whining cutely at the tall girl who pinched her cheek with a smile.

"It's Jungeun. Though I think you picked that up already." She introduced herself coolly, Haseul grinning beside her.

Sooyoung pondered for a moment. "So that's who you're always talking to when you ignore me..." She twisted her short hair round a finger, feigning upset.

"I never ignore you!" Jiwoo started before Haseul reached across the table.

"Jiwoo, we know. She's just teasing."

Jiwoo frowned at Sooyoung who was holding back laughter, Jungeun giggling at the two. Jiwoo looked at her friend with a sense of betrayal.

"How could you Jungeun! I trusted you!" The girl pouted, crossing her arms. "Haseul's my only friend now."

Everyone laughed at the girl's silly antics, Sooyoung hugging her tightly, whispering into her ear. Jungeun frowned at the interaction, looking at Haseul to gauge her reaction. She wasn't even phased.

"Are they always like that?" She asked.

"Those two? This is the least PDA they've shown in front of me." Haseul leaned into Jungeun as she lowered her voice, jasmine filling Jungeun's senses. "It's probably because Sooyoung doesn't really know you." She pulls away, patting Jungeun's thigh making the young girl stiffen. Haseul didn't notice.

 

 

They spent the next hour or so just talking, catching up with each other and avoiding certain topics. They'd long since finished their drinks and sweets before Sooyoung announced they had to get going.

"Aw I better hear from you later! Don't be too wild, please." Haseul begged, Sooyoung laughing.

"You know I'm always wild." She clicked her tongue, winking

Please log in to read the full chapter