Try to find the Cadogan's pony in this

The Erumpent in the Room

AN: A bit later than I hoped, but I had a busy weekend (two B-day parties). I hope you enjoy this, even if there is no Leeteuk this time...
Also, this fic is supposed to be Heechul-centric,. but for some reason I keep writing in Yesung's pov???
And because I am lazy, I shortened the subject names, so for example Care of Magical Creatures will be called Creatures by students, who are all as lazy as me, definitely lol


Yesung sighed deeply, already feeling emotionally drained even though it was only morning on a lovely Monday. He had trouble waking up Heechul, who for some reason slept like the ing dead instead of shooting wide awake at the barest touch like usual. Technically, he could have left him asleep and gone down to breakfast by himself, but he was a better friend than that. And also just the thought of Heechul’s hysterics if he was late to Creatures had been enough to make Yesung try harder. 

Then Matilda, his pet corn snake, had once again escaped from her warm enclosure under his bed. The room was quite cold, and in search for warmth instead of going back to her enclosure she decided to cuddle with Heebum, Heechul’s cat, which did not take kindly to it. Yesung couldn’t really blame Heebum, Matilda had once tried to eat his tail thinking it was a wiggling mouse, and since then the cat had been avoiding the snake, with various success. The resulting yowl and mad dash across the whole dorm room woke up not only Heechul, but also their other roommates. No one left the dorm happy that morning, least of all Heechul, who yelled at Yesung for not being careful enough as he tried to pry Heebum from the curtain rail. Which would be understandable, if only he didn’t turn right around and coo at Matilda that she was the bestest snake ever, and it was not her fault her keeper was such an idiot who didn’t know how to care for her properly.

Yesung had been greatly offended, but accepted the Heechul-made sandwich at the breakfast table as the conciliatory gesture it was, hoping that was the last of the dramatics for the day, only to be greatly mistaken as a half-dead Kyuhyun plopped right beside him with a mumbled greeting. As much as Yesung liked the kid, all it meant was that he was now in charge of making sure the fifth year didn’t drown in his own cereal trying to eat while dozing off.

“Why, for the love of Siwon’s God, why can’t you go to sleep at a normal hour? Are the OWL preparations that bad?” sighed Yesung again in Kyuhyun’s general direction, not really expecting an answer.

“It’s not the OWLs, it’s all the gaming,” Heechul snorted from his other side. “Shindong really shouldn’t have tweaked his computer to work at Hogwarts.”

“He knew it was no use. Kyu was practically brought up by you since he arrived at Hogwarts, it was obvious he would just stalk and pester Shindong Heechul-style until he got what he wanted,” Yesung answered nonchalantly, quite done with his friends for the day. He had no s left to give. 

His hand shot out to his right to stop Kyuhyun from landing face-first in cereal for the fourth time that morning, and nth time since the year started. Yesung’s palm landed right on his forehead, resulting in a loud smack that was ignored by everyone, Kyuhyun included. He pushed the kid back upright and continued his conversation with Heechul.

“I might have taken him under my wings, but that’s only because he was such a lost nerd as a little first year. And then he went and chose Leeteuk as his favorite hyung, the nerve of that kid,” grumbled Heechul.

Yesung smiled in recollection of their third year and the horde of new friends they gained.

“It is quite funny, isn’t it? You take in Kyu, and he likes Leeteuk more. Leeteuk takes in Ryeowook, and he likes you more,” he mused. He wondered if Kyu’s perception of Leeteuk had been influenced by Heechul’s own and that was the reason why the kid liked him so much. And if the same could be said for Ryeowook, only in reverse. After all, both Leeteuk and Heechul bantered and quarreled a lot, but behind their backs they spoke nothing but the best things about each other. 

Still, he knew better than to speak his thoughts. Heechul was too dense to understand, and would only misinterpret what he wanted to say. It would not improve the situation. Leeteuk, on the other hand… Yesung suspected that the Slytherin boy was beginning to get the right idea of his feelings, although it seemed like he tried very hard to pretend otherwise.

“Well, I prefer Ryeong anyway,” sniffed Heechul in fake offense.

“Isn’t it because he gives you food?” joked Yesung, then had a realization. “Wait a moment, Geng is your best friend and also cooks. And so does Leeteuk, your childhood friend. Are you so inept at cooking that you are amassing an army of chefs around you?”

“Gotta make sure I survive, and all without having to lift a finger for my own sustenance,” winked Heechul. “Come on, wake the nerd up, classes start soon.”

They got up, Yesung thankfully having to only half-support Kyuhyun. They frog marched the kid to the main hall where they found Siwon already waiting for them.

“Hey hyungs!” he shot them a blinding smile. “Here, let me take him off you. I will get him to class and make sure he wakes up properly.”

“Thanks, Siwon. Your muscles are life-savers.” Yesung grunted as he arranged the still sleeping Kyuhyun on Siwon’s back. “Well, have a nice day and see you during lunch?”

“Yeah, today we’re eating outside. Don’t forget to bring food for yourself,” reminded him Heechul, then turned to Yesung. “See you later, then?”

“Yeah, have fun with your ugly creatures.” Yesung turned around on his foot and left for his own class, History.

“They’re not ugly!” He heard Heechul gasp just as he was rounding the corner.


Honestly, grumbled Heechul to himself. Some people just didn’t understand the beauty of these magical beings.

“Hey, Chul-ah! Wait up!” he heard a familiar, lightly accented voice. Slowing down and looking right, he saw a disheveled Geng running with a dumpling hanging half out of his mouth.

“There’s still a bit of time left before class, you could have eaten properly at the table,” he scolded the other boy. “What if you choke?”

“Wanted to walk with you, we have Creatures together anyway,” replied Geng while chewing food.

“Merlin, swallow first before you talk,” grimaced Heechul. All he received in response was an eye roll.

“Stop nagging. Honestly, between you and Leeteuk we never get to live. You deprive us of the joy of living in a boarding school outside parental supervision.” Geng caught up to him quickly and they walked together to the grounds near the Forbidden Forest.

“That’s not what you were saying when I befriended you last year, when you were sad and alone,” pointed Heechul out. “In fact, if I remember correctly - and I do, because my memory is impeccable - you were so grateful when you joined our group you cried.”

“That was last year, before I realized you’re all nutcases and you and Leeteuk have joint custody.”

Suddenly, Heechul noticed that during their walk Geng had hardly looked in his direction - on the contrary, he seemed to be looking everywhere but at him, as if he was searching for something.

“What are you looking for?” he asked confused.

“What?” Geng’s head snapped in his direction so quickly it must have hurt. “Nothing, what? I’m not looking for anything.”

“Then why are you looking literally everywhere like your head is a rollercoaster?” Heechul started getting suspicious, especially after the feeble defense. “What’s going on? Don’t lie.”

“I’m not lying. Look, we’re almost there,” denied Geng and walked faster to reach the group of students already waiting for the lesson to begin.

Heechul huffed, not convinced in the least, but there was nothing he could do for now. He will have to wait for the class to end, and then he will corner his best friend.

“A’ight, class! ‘S the last year for yah, so I prepared a special lesson. Got permission from the Headmistress to bring the little ‘un, I did.” Hagrid beamed at them all. 

There was some uneasy shuffling in between the students, but as it was their seventh year, most of them chose the class because they wanted to be there. Although it was better safe than sorry, as sometimes Hagrid could surprise even the most hardened of students with his ideas about interesting lessons. Heechul, however, was excited. Permission from Mcgonagall! That meant a more exotic creature than usual, and so early in the semester, too. It was only October, but if Hagrid already started to bring in rarer creatures, this year will be thrilling.

“These creatures are safe as cats, and as docile, too.”

Now Heechul was having doubts. He met many cats, but very few he would call docile.

“Before we meet ‘er, remember to stay away and keep quiet. Easy to spook, poor thin’. Now, follow meh!” 

Hagrid turned around and started walking down a narrow path along the forest. The students all looked at each other, then slowly trudged behind the half giant. They walked around ten minutes until they arrived at a flat meadow surrounded by a half invisible shield. In the middle stood an enormous, magnificent Erumpent. It was bigger than average - at least six times the size of a hippo instead of the usual five. The horn was long and slim, with a very sharp, very pointed tip. The creature was grazing lazily at the grass at its feet.

“See what it is? An Erumpent! The Headmistress asked the South African Erumpent Habitat Institute for collaboration, an’ they let the li’l missus come here for a lesson!” Hagrid shot them a beaming smile again. “Who can tell me how do we care for these creatures?”

Heechul shot his hand up. “We don’t, they generally take good care of themselves. But if found injured, one needs to provide it with a large open space in a warm climate. They are herbivorous, so many trees and other greenery is necessary. Better approach only when it is sated and resting.”

“Great job! Ten points to Ravenclaw,” Hagrid looked at Heechul proudly. “An’ how are they useful for wizards?”

“The horn, tail, and exploding fluid contained in the horn are used in some potions,” answered Geng, eyeing the creature with great interest.

Heechul elbowed him in the side. “Stop thinking about it, Hagrid will never let you harvest from the Erumpent, and neither will I,” he hissed.

“Ow! I know, I know,” grumbled Geng. “Such a waste. Can’t get the tail or horn, obviously, but the li’l missus could part with a little bit of the fluid, no? With consent.”

“This is Care of Magical Creatures class, not Harvesting Potions Ingredients class.”

“Seriously, for such a laid-back guy you sure have a thick stick up your when it comes to creatures,” murmured Geng as Hagrid continued with the lesson. “You should ask Leeteuk to help you with that.”

“I have, like, literally, no idea what you’re talking about?” Heechul informed him thoroughly confused, and his whole being resembled a big question mark.

“Talk about the Erumpent in the room,” snorted Geng and refused to talk to Heechul for the rest of the class no matter how much he pestered him about what he meant, come on Geng, I just need to knoooow.


“What do you have next?” inquired Geng as they were walking back to the school after Creatures.

“Hmm… Arithmancy. You?”

“Free until lunch,” answered Geng happily. “Though I will be spending the time in the library for my Astronomy research.”

“Ah, so lucky!” bemoaned Heechul. “I wish I was so carefree…”

“Should not have taken so many electives, then. Who takes seven classes for their NEWTs?” scolded Geng.

“You know I couldn’t have chosen less… The only one I would be allowed to drop is Creatures and that’s my favorite,” Heechul grimaced just thinking about his schedule.

“You could drop it. Just keep it as a hobby, or pick it up again after graduating,” suggested Geng.

“Um, no?” Heechul looked at his friend incredulously. “I am not letting my family win. I want to work with creatures, and I will. I don’t care what they say.”

“You are kind of letting them win by taking Arithmancy, and Runes, and Potions…”

“I am not letting anyone win,” insisted Heechul. “I am just keeping them off my back for the time being. And you never know, it could be useful.”

“To a Creatures Caretaker?” Geng asked skeptically, looking around.

“Yeah, maybe I will need to calculate… wait, what are you searching for again?” Watching his friend’s head swiveling like a merry-go-round, Heechul realized he forgot to continue the interrogation from before.

“Nothing,” Geng blinked with an innocent expression, continuing to look around them, all the while walking Heechul to his next class.

“This is not nothing. You are behaving like someone might jump out at us at any…” he trailed off, stopping in his tracks. “Wait a minute. Leeteuk talked to you, didn’t he?”

“Maybe…” Geng studiously kept his eyes everywhere but on Heechul. “He might have asked me to you to classes. And the toilet. And the hall. And anywhere else you need to go.”

“Why the heck would you agree? And I told him that I have more classes with him or Yesung,” complained Heechul. He was exasperated with his childhood friend, but at the same time he couldn’t deny the warm feeling coursing through him at the thought of Leeteuk looking after his well-being and taking his concerns yesterday seriously.

“You should take that up with him. He looked like he swallowed a lemon when he asked me,” added Geng with an amused smirk hiding in the corners of his mouth.

“I did tell him that. But I didn’t expect him to talk to you himself, and not so quickly, either! I only told him yesterday…” Heechul mused. “Did he tell you everything?”

“Only that someone is stealing your things, and since we don’t know why, you should be careful and I should keep an eye on you at. All. Times.”

Heechul blanched. “Please don’t, I seriously don’t mind walking together if we have classes, but if you follow me everywhere I will go mad. You won’t like me when I’m mad.”

“I’ve seen you mad, and I survived,” Geng rolled his eyes at his melodramatic friend. “Like I said, if you have problems, take it up with Leeteuk. As much as I pick fights with him over cooking, the guy is seriously scary about things that matter to him.”

The implication of things that matter, as clear as it was to Geng, flew right over Heechul’s head.

“I know. But he won’t be angry with you if I am the one who asked you to stop being a bodyguard,” Heechul put air quotes around the word ‘bodyguard’.

Geng side-eyed him. “Yeah, no. If you want me to stop that bad, you talk to him. This ridiculous situation wouldn’t even have happened it if you two stopped being so stupid.”

“Excuse me, we are the best students in our year. Stupid is the last thing you should call us,” Heechul disagreed vehemently.

Geng just snorted right in Heechul’s face. “Riiight. Anyway, here’s your next class, princess. I will come pick you up like the loyal guard dog I am when it ends, so don’t run off anywhere.”

He gestured with his hand toward the open classroom door in a deep bow, like a servant from the middle ages. Heechul rolled his eyes at him, but judged the conversation over. It would be hopeless to continue it, Geng always deferred to Leeteuk in all matters related to Heechul. 

...And didn’t that last bit sound weird, or was that just in Heechul’s head? Heechul-related matters should be discussed with Heechul, no? Why would Geng and Leeteuk just decide between themselves?

Choosing to talk about the matter with Leeteuk the next time he sees him, Heechul tried to concentrate on the lesson at hand. It was difficult, however. Different problems and issues ran around his head, not even staying long enough for him to work on their solutions. It could be because of his mostly sleepless night, but it was impossible to focus on anything specific for more than five minutes. His mind wandered, from his new but deep friendship with Geng, to his NEWTs and dream job; to his family, professors and even friends trying to talk him into a ‘better’ profession; to his new and unwanted responsibilities as Head Boy; to the fact that someone has been entering his bedroom and stealing his things; to his friends, who kept making inside jokes clearly about him yet didn’t explain themselves; to Jungsoo, who had started avoiding him at the start of the school year. 

Thankfully, it seemed that the thief-situation was serious enough for him to cease the silliness, but the truth was that Heechul still had no idea what could have prompted his longest friend to act like that, which meant that it could start happening again. Heechul couldn’t have that. True, he had many friends - but all of them were precious to him in a different way. And although Geng might have usurped the best friend position since they met last year, Jungsoo was no less important to him than before. They may not spend a lot of time together outside of classes, but their relationship was one of a kind, and much deeper than the rest of the student body could imagine. To them, Heechul and Leeteuk were polar opposites, forced to interact by attending socialite events from an early age, and becoming rivals once they started attending Hogwarts. The truth was, during those pureblood elite events they have forged a deep bond which continued regardless of their academic rivalry - or maybe it was even strengthened by it. Anyway, by their sixth year at Hogwarts the rivalry was non-existent, as they both chose different paths in their lives. Still, the other students and sometimes even teachers couldn’t let go of their fantasy of two best students being anything other than enemies in constant competition against each other. 

Heechul could only laugh silently, thinking of the faces everyone would make if they had ever realized that the person he confides the most in was Jungsoo. That it was Jungsoo who supported him the most when he found what he wanted to be doing in his life, who kept supporting and consoling him when he decided to pursue his dreams and found only disapproval from his own family. That it was Jungsoo who gave him a safe haven to hide whenever life became too much, never asking for anything in return. 

Their bond was precious. Jungsoo was precious, not only to Heechul, but a precious person in general. It wasn’t an instantaneous realization when they first met, no. It was a slow awareness culminated by months of spending time together. But once Heechul knew, he tried to treasure his dearest friend in any way he could. He always tried to make time when Leeteuk needed, and lended an ear for matters that to him might have seemed the most inconsequential, but he could see were important to his friend. He always tried to ease the burden Leeteuk felt in being the perfect son, the perfect student, the perfect prefect, Quidditch captain, friend, tutor, cook, potioneer… the list was unending.

Because of this quiet, intimate understanding of each other they quarreled often but rarely argued seriously. That Jungsoo started avoiding him without any previous squabble, without any logical explanation… Heechul wasn’t willing to sacrifice their friendship over any imagined wrongdoing. And if it wasn’t imagined, then, well... He will just have to patch everything up and set their relationship straight again. Giving up wasn’t in Kim Heechul’s dictionary. And if there was anyone he won’t ever let go of, it was Jungsoo.


Lunch was supposed to be a relaxing and happy affair. All of their friend group was supposed to meet together near the lake for a picnic, to catch up and have some fun. Usually Heechul would observe and make fun of the blossoming relationship between Qmi, and part-console and part-laugh at Siwon for his one-sided crush. He might try to reign in Hyukhae for the sake of Leeteuk’s sanity, and avoid becoming a victim of another one of Geng and Leeteuk’s cooking competitions. He would definitely ask Kibum for some new interesting gossip, and talk with him and Sungmin about their friends’ complicated love lives. He would laugh himself silly at Kangin pretending he wasn’t babying Ryeong, who in turn babied Henry. Then he would settle down next to Shindong only so he could steal his camera, roping Geng into taking ridiculous pictures of their friends. All in all, always a blast.

Unfortunately, Heechul had to be absent, and not because he had a hot date.

“You wanted to see me, Professor McGonagall?” he asked in a flat tone, entering the Headmistress’ office. Gryffindor Luisa Kendrick, the Head Girl, was already there. Which meant that...

...perhaps there was an actual, serious reason why he was summoned, and maybe no one wanted to spite him, and possibly he shouldn’t be sulking in front of the school’s Headmistress. Right. Heechul cleared his throat and straightened his shoulders.

“How may I help you, Professor McGonagall?” he tried again, with a brighter and definitely more polite tone.

Mcgonagall, for all that she was nearing three digits in her age, was still a formidable woman that hadn’t lost the sharpness that comes from dealing with unruly schoolchildren. The look she levelled Heechul clearly read try this with me one more time mister and you will be wishing you were cleaning the trophies with your toothbrush without her uttering even one syllable or moving a muscle.

Luisa desperately tried to maintain the professionalism that was part of her Head Girl persona, but couldn’t help releasing a small snort. McGonagall sighed.

“Can the two of you please act like the responsible students you are? I have chosen you two personally, don’t make me regret my decision,” she gestured for Heechul to stand next to Luisa.

Don’t make me regret the decision, Heechul mocked inside his head. And who was the person who coerced him into accepting the position when he rejected it at first? McGonagall, that was who. Any regrets should be her own.

“Finished, Mister Kim? Let us continue on with the business, no need to waste a perfectly good lunch break for dilly-dallying.”

Heechul would have screamed if it were anyone else. Who was the one to call them during the lunch break, exactly? But he kept quiet. If the old witch quickly informed them of what she wanted, maybe he will still get to meet his friends and steal some spring rolls off Leeteuk.

McGonagall straightened in her chair and sighed again. “Honestly, it feels silly to involve the students in the professors’ matters, but the situation has been going on long enough.”

Heechul and Luisa exchanged looks. Well, whatever it was, at least it promised to be more interesting than them promoting safe by providing students with condoms. Never again, Heechul shuddered.

“As the school rumor mill is very well fed, especially with the establishment of our newspaper and its gossip column, I am sure both of you are aware of the relentless pranks against Professor Travers?”

“But, Professor,” interjected Luisa, “as far as I know none of those pranks were in any way harmful?” she trailed off uncertainty, trying to remember all of the pranks. It was quickly apparent that there were too many to remember them all.

“Yes, I am sure you understand, now,” McGonagall answered. “It is not that they are physically harmful, or even mentally… theoretically. However, the sheer number of them is enough to leave anyone a bit intimidated. Considering the fact that we still haven’t been able to find the culprit despite our faculty’s best efforts, and Professor Traver’s…” here she hesitated over her wording, “interesting family history, it may be prudent to widen our resources.”

“You mean you’re worried that someone is targeting Professor Travers because her father was a Death Eater,” Heechul remarked seriously. “But if that was the case, why would the pranks be so harmless? The last one I heard of was that the first years’ homework got charmed to spell everything backwards. Hardly something I would use against someone I hated.”

“I understand, Mister Kim. But although the war has been over for a few decades, this kind of situation still causes unrest, and we should treat it with utmost seriousness. We wouldn't want it to escalate, or to show the general public - or worse, the students - that we condone this type of discriminating behavior." 

“We understand, Professor. But what is it you want us to do?” asked Luisa briskly, ready to fulfill her Head Girl duties. Heechul nodded in agreement. Pesky or unwanted the Head Boy status may be, but he will perform well, as always.

McGonagall bestowed them with a rare smile, the wrinkles around her eyes crinkling and making her wizened face more friendly.

“Please inform the prefects of the situation. Patrolling hours will be extended by two hours, until one am. I want them to inspect the corridors and classrooms with the pranks in mind rather than the simply adventurous students. Make sure to tell them to look not just for suspicious people, but also anything that seems out of place, no matter how insignificant. By now all of you should be well acquainted with what belongs where in this castle. Anything unusual should be noted down in their reports.

“They should also question all the school's inhabitants discreetly, if the situation allows it. That includes not only the students, but also ghosts, portraits, house elves... anything sentient. I will leave it to the two of you to assign these tasks to specific prefects, as well as scheduling the patrol duties.” McGonagall shot them a commiserating smile, knowing well how logistically difficult the task will be. “I know this is a lot to ask of you, but I promise once the culprit is caught all the prefects will get extended homework deadlines and a Friday off to fully rest after the longer patrols.”

“Yes, Professor,” Heechul and Luisa chorused, biding the Headmistress goodbye and leaving the office.

As the door closed and they descended down the staircase, Luisa glanced at Heechul hesitantly.

“What is it,” sighed Heechul, not having the energy to put more feeling into his voice. They hadn’t done anything yet, but he was already tired just thinking of the tasks before them. 

“Well… There is still some time before lunch break ends, but…” she trailed off with a grimace, not wanting to voice what they both were thinking of.

Heechul kept quiet, hoping that a solution will appear before them out of thin air, but as nothing happened after a while, he sighed.

“Yeah… But I guess we know what we will be doing instead of eating.”

“If we manage to schedule the patrolling at least, we can have a meeting after dinner and start right away.” Luisa released a deep breath, half relieved that Heechul was on the same page as her, half disappointed that he did not postpone the work. “We can think over the specific assignments during the rest of the day, and discuss our ideas after the meeting.”

“Hmm… we could also ask some of the prefects to volunteer, they will know best what they are good at,” Heechul suggested.

“Yeah, let’s do it like that,” Luisa agreed. Suddenly she smiled at him. “You know, when I first saw you were a Head Boy during the train ride at the beginning of term, I thought it must have been a mistake. But you’re actually quite good at this responsibility thing. I’m glad I’m working with you.”

Heechul blushed. “Shut up, for Salazar’s sake. I don’t like compliments. And this one is as far from the truth as possible,” he added. “Now let’s go to our common room, better get this over with.”

Honestly, this day just kept getting worse and worse. The only highlight would be the prefects' meeting where he would be able to see Jungsoo, Heechul bemoaned.


AN: Honestly, this fic was supposed to be 5-7 chapters long, but I keep adding unnecessary situations or details. It will defo be longer, maybe 10 chapters.
Please give some feedback? My relationship hit a ty patch and I am a bit affection-starved... 🙃