How To Get Her Number Without Asking Her

Penché 101

Lisa tried to act as casually as possible while she and her friend/classmate Jennie walked through the hallways of the school to their next class. However, her cool façade started breaking down like a fragile wall as they neared the dance class’ studio where a group of ballerinas were having their rehearsals.

Her eyes were instinctively drawn to the rectangular piece of transparent glass on the studio’s door which offered a glimpse of the ballet students practicing inside.

She wasn’t really interested in them.

Just this one particular girl.

“Oh my god,” Jennie rolled her eyes for the nth time when she noticed Lisa has slowed down. “Just ask her out, dude.”

“No,” Lisa shook her head for the equally nth time and resumed her pace. “I don’t want to.”

“Yes, you do.”

“Nope, I don’t.”

“Liar.”

“I’m not lying!” she insisted as they entered their classroom half-filled with students.

“You are the worst liar in the world.”

Lisa sighed as she sat down on her seat and dropped her bag to the floor. “What if she said no?”

“What if she said yes?” Jennie argued, taking the chair next to her. “There might be a chance, you know.”

“I don’t know that, and I want to spare my feelings-”

“Oh, we talking about feelings now?” Jennie grinned, mischief all over her features.

“Please stop…” Lisa groaned and briefly closed her eyes to block Jennie’s teasing smile.

“At the very least, get her name.”

“I know her name.”

“…get her number?”

Lisa reluctantly opened her eyes and whipped her head to look at Jennie.

“I need like, a believable reason why I need to get her number.”

“Okay, forget the number,” Jennie shrugged. “But maybe you can slide in her DMs?”

“Again, I’ll need a reason.”

Jennie’s eyebrow slightly arched. “Why do you need a reason?”

“To not make it seem like I’m hitting on her,” Lisa patiently explained.

“But isn’t that the point, though?” Jennie asked incredulously. “That you’re hitting on her?”

“Yeah, but-” Lisa racked her brain for an answer. “I don’t want to scare her? It’s complicated.”

Jennie sighed in defeat and leaned back on her seat. “I swear you never run out of excuses.”

“I’ll get to it,” Lisa muttered as their teacher came in the room. “…eventually.”

_

Lisa first saw Park Chaeyoung approximately a year ago, when she transferred to their school – a large high school specializing in performing arts – and saw her dancing for a ballet recital. Now a senior, she has never once spoken to the girl, though sometimes few of her mates from the hip-hop class mingle with the ballet students, they haven’t really formally met.

But Jennie, thru her careful deductions and investigative skills, found out that Lisa likes Chaeyoung, and has been bugging her to talk to the latter ever since.

And today was no exception.

“Where are you?” Lisa hissed to the phone as soon as Jennie picked up her call. “I’ve been waiting by the lockers for like fifteen minutes!”

“Yeah, I had to do something-”

“Well, did it occur to you to at least text me before making me wait?”

“Jeez,” she heard Jennie sighed from the other line. “Calm down, girl. Also, I’m in the dance studio, come here.”

Several beats passed before Lisa spoke again. “The gym?”

“The dance studio, you dork.”

“The- the dance studio? Where the- they dance?”

“No, the dance studio where they sing,” Jennie replied sarcastically. “Yes, the dance studio where they dance! Oh my god! Just come here, you know exactly where it is. Don’t play dumb.”

“But why?”

“I have to show you something, will you just come here, please?”

Lisa bit her lip, contemplating. It honestly sounds like a trap. “Specifically in the dance studio? Can’t it be somewhere else?”

Jennie let out a looooong impatient sigh. “Lalisa, I swear if you don’t come here I will drag you by your bangs.”

“Are you- is that a threat!?”

“No, it’s a warning. Now, you bringing your here or not?”

“Fine,” Lisa finally conceded though halfheartedly. “I’m coming.”

_

Jennie was nonchalantly leaning by the door of the dance studio and browsing on her phone when Lisa finally came to view.

“What’s up?”

Her friend pocketed the phone and tilted her head towards the door. “I need you to go inside.”

Lisa’s eyes narrowed as she stared at her friend curiously. “Why?”

“Don’t worry, they don’t have a class right now,” Jennie said coolly, but there was something suspicious about the smirk on her face.

Lisa stilled for a minute, straining to listen for the usual music coming from the studio. Jennie was right, there wasn’t a sound.

“Why don’t you go in yourself?”

“Because I’m tired of you making excuses after excuses.”

“What?”

Jennie opened the door and unceremoniously pushed Lisa inside. “You can thank me later.”

“Jennie! What the fu-”

Lisa fumbled for the doorknob but her friend was faster in shutting the door again and hold it in place.

“Jennie Kim! Let me out-”

“Um, hello?”

Oh, .

Park Chaeyoung was sitting in the corner of the room, alone and seemingly small against the expansive space. She took out one of the airpods from her ear and stood up.

“Uh,” Lisa didn’t know what to say or do, her eyes flitted from the floor to the walls and even up to the ceiling. Jennie really did it this time, she just succeeded trapping Lisa in the same room with Chaeyoung.

“You’re Lisa, right?” Chaeyoung smiled and took a step towards her.

“You-” was suddenly parched that her voice came out weird. “You know me?”

“Yeah,” Chaeyoung nodded, smiling shyly. “You’re kinda popular.”

Oh my god, she’s so pretty.

Chaeyoung’s smile was so infectious that Lisa couldn’t fight her own. “Really?”

“Uh-huh,” the ballerina nodded again. “It’s cute that you didn’t know.”

Lisa just gave a small laugh to release some of the pressure gathering in her stomach. She looked around the dance studio, just seeing it fully for the first time.

“It’s really cool in here.”

“You’ve never been here before?” Chaeyoung asked. “You also have dance classes, right?”

“Yep,” Lisa agreed. “But this room has mirrors and my hip-hop classes can get really wild sometimes, the students I mean. Our instructors are wary that we might break something so we aren’t allowed in here, we usually dance in the gym.”

“I see. I sometimes go here to practice alone,” Chaeyoung said, then she offered her hand. “By the way, I’m Chaeyoung.”

I know.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Lisa took her hand and hoped that her palm wasn’t so cold. “I’ve seen you dance before, you’re really good.”

“Thank you,” Chaeyoung grinned widely. “I’ve also seen you dance, you’re amazing.”

They both let out an awkward laugh but Lisa was already congratulating herself for being able to converse with Chaeyoung without making a fool of herself. Though to be honest, she was actually screaming inside.

They stood there for a least a minute, just nervously shifting on their feet until Lisa managed to squeak out a question.

“What’s the name of the move where one of your feet is like pointing up and one hand is pointing down the floor?”

“Oh,” Chaeyoung paused for a moment as she conjured the mental image of what Lisa was describing. “It’s probably the penché?” she backed down a few steps to show Lisa the position.

“Yeah, that’s it,” Lisa agreed. “How hard is it?”

Chaeyoung giggled. “It takes a lot of practice, and I mean a lot. But do you wanna try it?”

“Will I be able to do it?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll help you,” Chaeyoung led her to the front of the room where a long wooden bar is installed.

Lisa grabbed the bar with one hand and slowly exhaled to relax but Chaeyoung’s close proximity wasn’t really helping her to. She kept her eyes glued to the floor as the other dancer looked over her stance.

“You have to be straight.”

Too late, already gay.

“What?”

“I mean, you have to stand straight,” Chaeyoung instructed, giggling again. “Sorry.”

Was that a blush on her cheeks?

“Oh, okay,” Lisa chuckled. “Is this good?”

“It’s fine,” Chaeyoung replied, briefly catching her eyes. “Can you face just a bit this way? Okay, your right foot needs to be in this position- like this, and your left like this.. that’s good. Put your left arm out, keep it level. It’s um,” she paused for a bit, hesitant.

“Can I touch you?”

Lisa just grunted her assent, not trusting herself to speak. She was so aware of the distance between them, and she could hear a loud heartbeat in her ears – whether it’s hers or Chaeyoung’s, nobody knows – she’s also starting to sweat a little despite of the cold air coming from the AC.

“Alright,” Chaeyoung lightly put both hands on either side of Lisa’s waist. “Let go of the bar, keep your right arm straight in front of you, and slowly raise your left foot up- keep it straight, slowly… don’t worry, I got you.”

Lisa didn’t even know that she was holding her breath until Chaeyoung told her.

“If you don’t breathe, you will pass out.”

“Sorry,” Lisa laughed, trying to hide the fact that she’s all nerves. “But this is seriously challenging my balance.”

“I know,” Chaeyoung joined in laughter. “Let’s get you back on your feet.”

“Wow, that was really something,” Lisa finally was able to inhale freely once Chaeyoung released her hold.

“You’ve done really well for a first-timer,” Chaeyoung told her and Lisa smiled bashfully at the compliment. “But I really need to go, my other class started like five minutes ago.”

“Oh,” Lisa blinked. “I’m so sorry for keeping you.”

“Not at all,” Chaeyoung waved a hand and went to pick up her things. “It was really fun and I hope to see you again soon.”

“Of course.”

They both started for the door and reached for the knob then both also hesitated.

Chaeyoung stared at her until Lisa looked away in discomfort, reddening.

“Um, is it too forward if I ask for your number?” Chaeyoung asked quietly after awhile.

Lisa’s jaw literally dropped.

For real???

“It’s fine if it’s not okay-” Chaeyoung hurriedly said when she didn’t reply right away.

“No!” Lisa answered quickly. “I mean yes, it’s fine, I was just- you can have my number.”

“Oh,” relief flooded Chaeyoung’s veins as Lisa typed the digits on her phone and handed it back to her. “Thank you.”

Lisa’s phone suddenly rang and she hastily took it out from her bag. An unregistered number was on the screen.

“Hello?”

“Hi,” Chaeyoung’s voice floated from the other end and when she turned to look at the girl, she was also holding her phone up to her ear, beaming brightly.

“Hey,” Lisa smiled back, still conversing with her thru the mobile despite of the fact that they’re only three feet apart. “It’s so great meeting you.”

“Same here,” Chaeyoung nodded. “I really meant it when I said that you’re an amazing dancer.”

“Yeah, me too,” Lisa replied. “I really like you—r dancing…”

Welp, she almost slipped.

Chaeyoung laughed shyly, a faint color rising beneath her cheeks. “I have to go now because I’m already so late to my class, see you around?”

“Um, wait-” Lisa cleared . “There’s, um, we have this benefit dance for a charity this coming weekend, and I, uh, I’m wondering if you’d like to go with me?”

 “Are you asking me out?”

Lisa was momentarily lost for words. “Well…”

“I’m kidding,” Chaeyoung’s teasing grin widened. “You’re kinda panicking, but yeah, I’d love to go.”

“Oh,” Lisa exhaled all the air from her lungs, she did kinda panic. “Great, I’ll see you there.”

“Just text me the details,” Chaeyoung has started to step out the room but they’re still talking thru their phones.

“Thank you for the lesson.”

“Anytime,” Chaeyoung waved goodbye and then- “You’re cute.”

Lisa was dumbstruck and just stared when Chaeyoung literally ran away after saying that she’s cute and cut the call.

She glanced at her phone in disbelief.

“Wow.”

_