Luah

Puppy
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taemin remembers in his childhood reading books that talked about a certain Prince Charming. Then all his friends would talk on and on about how they would find their own Prince Charming and how they couldn’t wait until they could live happily ever after, like the little tales his teachers would always narrate said.

However, that idea never made sense to a small Taemin.

Was it a literal Prince they wanted, or someone named Prince? Because if its either of those two, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack. And why was this Prince Charming always linked with baby blue? It just- it made no sense to Taemin at all.

Then, when Taemin got into university, that idea finally clicked.

Maybe he missed the point where the Prince Charming was meant to be found by his female friends, but nobody told him that when he was little – and that’s fine, really, it is irrelevant.

But the idea of a Prince Charming is to find someone that is handsome and romantic and that saves you when you are in distress. It’s someone that will love you unconditionally, someone that would hug you when you feel cold and lift you when you feel down. It is someone that would kiss your forehead and hold your hand and love you tremendously as you love them back.

That being linked with blue… well, it might be related with the feeling of security and cringy love this Prince Charming is supposed to give you, or it is just the color assigned to a Prince by this heteronormative society we live in – who knows?

Definitely not Taemin, who already challenged the norm in which a prince is supposed to find a princess – definitely not him, who would rather have a man that, although bearer of those qualities, is nothing like blue. He (his man) is more like red and black and a little bit of gold, a man that would have no fear in their intimacy of bending him over, mark his skin a purple-ish red and call him a ing sl-

Yes, nothing close to baby blue, not at all.

Minho was the total opposite to what one would think of a Prince Charming, stereotypically speaking, because he was a gentleman fore and foremost.

He was a beauty, handsome like no other and had the body of a God, arms nicely shaped and inked with art that was delicate and yet robust. His fashion style was rather minimalist, he wasn’t one to dress flashy, but he dressed sleek and everything he wore, he did with class and with ease. Taemin has lost count of how many times Minho has been mistaken with a model of high fashion brands.

What really unsettled people and drove them away from the Prince Charming label for Minho was that… he wasn’t one to smile often – to anyone, which made perfect sense to Taemin because why does he have to smile at everyone if he doesn’t know them? Nobody does that, so why does everyone expect that from his boyfriend? Anyhow, it was something that people found intimidating, and it enabled Minho’s lack of smiles a lot because if there is no one willing to approach him, then there is no need to give random smiles.

Actually, when Taemin met Minho he did knowing what people used to whisper about him, that he was scary and intimidating, that he didn’t have any friends, that he was an outcast, that we was cold – and just with one meeting all those theories made by strangers were debunked. There was nothing cold or evil about Minho, he was just a private person.

Minho’s thoughtfulness was perhaps Taemin’s favorite trait of him, because he hasn’t met anyone as caring and as sweet as Minho. He would sometimes visit when he has rehearsals, which made no sense because Taemin would look disgusting while he looks like a high fashion model, and he wouldn’t miss a day of his presentations. He always knows when something is bothering him and he would cook Taemin’s favorite meal just to make him feel better, he’d drive him places and hold his hand, he’d kiss his temple three times – three ing times, Taemin has counted them – when he sees him after a long day and he just particularly missed him.

Minho is a ball of warmth and it makes Taemin’s heart do things.

Another thing that does things is the very reason why Taemin says a big, fat NO to baby blue. Minho is not baby blue; he cannot be baby blue – there is NOTHING about his man that is baby blue. Red. That is the color; red, black and gold.

So yes, the idea of a Prince Charming finally clicked with Taemin, but it’s not like the ones in the children’s book. And so what? Taemin knows what he needs and Taemin knows what he wants, and that’s what he wants. He wants Minho, and the best part of it all?

Minho is all his.

And the worst part?

 

“So, what will you get Mr. Quiet for your anniversary?”

 

Minho has given him the best four years of his life and he doesn’t know what to give him for their 4th anniversary. That’s the worse.

 

Taemin’s eyes found a leaf on the floor, moving as the wind blew on it – an unimportant and unimpressive thing to focus on as his mind whirled with ideas that were not organized. Jonghyun’s right eyebrow went up seeing his younger friend space out by the mention of their anniversary. “You don’t know yet?”

“Nope.”

Jonghyun did a face, biting his lip and wondered if he should just say it and humor himself or be considerate and actually be of help to his friend. He did not choose the latter. “You have like, a week and a half—”

“Shut up, Jjong. This is harder than you think.” Taemin complained, passing his hands over his face and then over his hair, messing up the already undone strands of dirty blonde under his snapback.

They were sitting in the patio of their campus as it was a free period for Taemin and a skip period for Jonghyun – a skip of a class in the name of friendship, because Jonghyun knew his friend needed help and with the difference of schedules, this was the only way they could see each other. Still, Jonghyun thought Taemin would at least have a vague idea of what he’d like to give Minho. It didn’t look like it, though.

Taemin leaned back in his chair, taking his snapback off and putting it backwards. He moved his hands around, as if trying to explain himself with movement, but nothing.

Jonghyun talked first. “Why don’t you fund his next tatt? Maybe choose one completely.”

Taemin’s gaze, that was once curiously looking up for divine inspiration, suddenly turned dark as he considered what quality art would look nice on the piece of godly canvas that is Minho, and where. He had a few exquisite ideas and suddenly he was in the m-

“Do not make that face.” Jonghyun begs, regretting the train of thought he started.

Taemin sighed, crossing his arms over his chest. “Minho doesn’t like me paying for his tattoos, he is too picky.” He was a little frustrated, he has been thinking about it for months and yet he has no idea what to give him. It’s not as if Minho is someone difficult to give gifts to, because he isn’t – he is only picky with ink and that he chooses and pays for himself. “I just want to give him something that lasts for a long time.”

“A tattoo is forever.”

Taemin gasped, sitting up on his chair and slamming a hand on the table. “A PUPPY.”

Jonghyun did not hesitate. “A WHAT?”

 

 

-

 

 

No matter how many times Jonghyun advised against the idea of getting a puppy for Minho as an anniversary gift, Taemin was set on the idea.

It was a wonderful idea. Puppies are adorable and they are loyal and playful and cute and small and cuddly. They are small balls of fur and happiness. They are ing perfect.

And that is what Taemin told Jonghyun, but the older only said-

“Yeah, of course. And does ‘adorable and playful and cute and small’ go with CHOI MINHO?”

And that might have made Taemin feel a little insecure about his idea.

But Minho is sometimes his source of security, because even though he is an independent person that really doesn’t need anyone to live, he likes knowing that Minho can sometimes be his comfort and support. So, he does the most logical thing he can think of.

He asks.

 

 

“A puppy?” Minho says, voice a tinge higher than usual as curiosity took over him. They were at their apartment, Taemin was picking a movie to watch because the regular programming of the television was not to his taste, while Minho put down the groceries they just bought.

Minho put one of the paper bags on the kitchen counter and squinted his eyes at Taemin. He knew something was up the minute they got home and Taemin got awfully quiet and decided to pick a

Please log in to read the full chapter