Forced to grow up

FORCED TO GROW UP

Siwon’s life is divided only between a job in his father’s company and clubbing. Siwon works hard and then also parties hard. He always finds a girl with who he can spend a night and he has never thought about starting adult life. Siwon is smart but out of his office, he still acts like a wild college student. Well, there was a girl who was really special for Siwon and he was ready to become a real man for her. He loved her and they dated for almost two years but then she disappeared without any explanation.

 

Her name was Mina and Siwon still misses her sometimes. She was so beautiful and kind but she also made Siwon bitter. It hurt him when she left without saying anything. If only he knew what is destiny going to bring him in the near future.

 

That brings us to this day. Siwon is sleeping in the bedroom in his luxury penthouse. The girl from yesterday left a while ago and he went back into his bed to get rid of his headache. After a while ringing on the doorbell woke him up. Siwon is trying to ignore the annoying sound but then has no other option than to get up. He staggers to the front door and opened them, ready to yell on the person who woke him up so early in the morning. It is Saturday, let him sleep longer!

 

Siwon opened the door but there is no one. The hallway is empty and Siwon wants to close the door again when he spotted that a small bag and a knitted Moses basket is standing on the carpeted floor. Siwon sees a bit of black hair peeking out from the white blanket and gulped. He looked around the empty hallway and then kneeled down next to the basket. On top of the blanket is laying an envelope and Siwon opened it with shaking hands. There are a letter and a photo of a baby with a young woman who is holding him. Siwon almost fainted because it is Mina! 

 

He quickly got up and started to run toward the elevators. It takes them too long to arrive so Siwon decided for the stairs. He is running like crazy and almost tripped few times. His neighbors are staring on him in shock but he doesn’t care. He is running through the lobby and then ran on the street.

 

“Mina!”

 

Few people turn around to see who is yelling but he can’t see Mina. Siwon is desperate and runs around for a while but she disappeared. Again. The baby! Siwon realized that he left the baby and runs back. Luckily the basket is still there and Siwon carefully picked it up. He carried it inside his apartment and went into the living room. He set the basket down on the coffee table and stares on it. After a while, he slowly reached his hand toward the corner of the crispy white blanket and pulled it aside a bit. 

Inside the Moses basket is sleeping a little baby from the photo. Siwon stares on the baby’s black hair and tiny button nose for a while before grabbing the letter.

 

Dear Siwon,

 

I know that my sudden disappearance hurt you but I had a very good reason. This is Yesung, our son. Do you remember what you said about having a family? That only stupid people without real dreams have a family and kids? I had to decide between keeping our baby or staying with you and Yesung won. I wasn’t sure if you would love him so I started a new life with him in Busan. Four months ago, doctors found out that I have a brain tumor and there is no way how to treat it. That's why I brought Yesung to you, I am begging you to give him lots of love. Please, tell him that mommy loved him but don’t tell him that I committed suicide. 

 

Love, Mina

 

Siwon dropped the letter and feels sick. What?! He needs to find her, but where should he start? Suddenly the baby wriggled a bit and woke up. The baby winks few times and then started to cry. Siwon froze and doesn’t know what to do so he also bursted into tears. Mina is gone, she is somewhere in Seoul and about to end her life. Or maybe she is already dead.

 

Siwon cries but the baby’s wailing is louder and woke up something inside him. It is some instinct to calm down the poor baby. Siwon carefully took off the blanket and slides his hand under the baby’s head and placed other hand under the baby’s bottom. He carefully scooped the baby up and brought him closer to his chest. Siwon is staring in awe on the small boy who resembles Mina so much. The baby has such a tiny nose but his eyes are huge. His small pink lips are wrapped around a baby blue pacifier and tears are streaming down his chubby cheeks.

 

“What should I do with you?”

 

The baby’s wailing slowed down a bit and Siwon feels so weird. The baby is so tiny in his hands, he almost can’t feel his weight. Siwon tries to sway Yesung in his arms and the baby grew silent. Siwon smiled a bit on the baby who is cutely blinking while hiccuping. Suddenly the baby’s face twisted and a disgusting smell filled the air. The baby boy whines and he is like a ticking bomb ready to explode. Siwon put the baby back in the basket and quickly grabs the bag. Inside is few pieces of clothing, one stuffed toy and few diapers with a package of wet wipes. Siwon grabs one diaper and the wet wipes and then turned back to the baby who is crying while flailing his short arms around. 

 

Siwon grabs hem of the tiny pants and pulled them down. Underneath is an onesie with few button in the crotch (https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0750476002.html). Siwon finally managed to get to the messy diaper and opened it. He gags but knows that the baby can’t lie in his own mess. He grabs few wet wipes and started to clean his bottom. This is a disgusting process but then the tiny tush of his son is clean and Siwon can start to fight with putting on the diaper. He unfolded it and then placed it under Yesung. He hopes that he is bring the right part up to his stomach and then fastened the tabs. It doesn’t look bad, at least it is holding on Yesung’s waist. 

 

The baby on his pacifier and squirms in his basket. Siwon grabs the stuffed toy - it is a polar bear - and handed it to Yesung. The baby looks around and holds his toy while Siwon is sitting in front of the basket and stares on him. This is his son? He searched through the bag again and finds few documents. There is a birth certificate which says that Yesung was born on August 24 so it means that he is six months old. He looks on the photo again and remembers when Mina left him. Yes, if he is counting right then it is possible that Yesung is his son. 

 

The door bell rings again and Siwon silently cursed. He forgot about a brunch with  his older brother Heechul who is a fashion designer. Siwon is trying to find some good and quick lie before he opens the door. Mad Heechul is standing there with his hands on his hips.

 

“I was waiting for you! Almost one hour!”

 

Before Heechul can lament more a loud crying disturbed them. Heechul glares on his brother and forced his way into the apartment. He gasped after spotting the tiny baby crying there. 

 

“What does this mean?”

 

Siwon kneeled down next to the basket to calm down his son. Yesung’s diaper isn’t messy and he has his pacifier but cries so much. Finally Siwon realized that he is crying because his stuffed bear fell out from the basket. Siwon handed the toy to him and Yesung giggled a bit. Now he can explain everything. 

 

Heechul remembers Mina and he was thinking that Siwon cheated on her or something and that’s why she left. Now he knows the truth, his brother got the girl pregnant. Heechul the baby’s hair and smiles. This baby boy is really cute. However it doesn’t change the fact that Siwon isn’t able to take care of a baby.

 

“You know who we need to call.”

 

Siwon paled a bit but nodded. Heechul is right, they don’t know how to take care of a baby and only one person can help them. Their mother.

 

Siwon is thinking hard about a good lie but unfortunately his brain is completely empty when Heechul opened the front door. The elegant woman glares on her son who supposedly got a girl pregnant. 

 

“Choi Siwon, I raised you better.”

 

Siwon lifted the basket with his alleged son. Yesung is asleep again and the new grandma cooed while pressing her palm over to not wake him up. 

 

“So this is Mina’s son? Where is she?”

 

Siwon needs to tell her the sad news which forced her to cry. Siwon tried to find her, even called the police so they are looking for her but without results yet. Siwon’s mom gently picked up the small baby and smiled.

 

“He must be around six months old.”

 

She is gently cradling the boy and looked on her sons.

 

“You two can’t take care of a fragile baby. My help is necessary.”

 

She takes a piece of paper and a pen and started to write a list of things which are crucial like diapers and formula. She sends Heechul to buy the things and then glared on Siwon who is uncontrollably sweating under her stern glare.

 

“I can’t believe it Siwon. Why did she leave and didn’t tell you about your son?”

 

Siwon shakes his head no but he knows the reason. Few days before she disappeared, they had a huge fight. They were in a restaurant and there were a couple with a baby. The child was crying for the whole time and Siwon was mad because he wanted to have a nice dinner with her girlfriend. Mina was soft because of the cute baby and she was ready to tell him about her pregnancy. Unfortunately before she could have said it to him, Siwon’s anger exploded and he told to the couple to take the annoying thing away. After his outburst she wasn’t able to tell him the news. Mina wanted to keep the baby, and if Siwon doesn’t want to have family with her, then she is going to be a single mother. 

 

Siwon gulped and feels so ashamed. He isn’t going to tell the truth to no one. Heechul is back with the diapers and formula so their mom goes in the kitchen to prepare a bottle of formula for her little grandson. She put the baby in Siwon’s arms and put the bottle in his hand. She is teaching him how to feed the baby and then showed him how to burp him. Yesung is feeling good with full tummy and giggles on the people around him. He is babbling something and rolled on his belly. Yesung smiled widely and shows his four teeth, two upper teeth and two lower teeth. He doesn’t seem like he is missing his mother, who knows if they are going to see her ever again. 

 

They are sitting on the ground around the little boy and make silly faces on him. The baby is perfect, his tiny nose, pink lips and big eyes. Everything on him is so cute and beautiful but Siwon’s heart aches because the baby is reminding him Mina. It is almost evening when their mom left and after a while, Heechul left too. Siwon is alone with his son and sighed. 

 

“Let's have a bath.”

He picked up the baby and carried him in the bathroom. The sink is big enough to fit Yesung inside and the warm water is warm just right for him. Siwon is splashing the water on Yesung’s small body and uses his hands to wash him with the finest soap he was able to find. After the bath Siwon diapered him and then looked for some clothes in his bag. He found a tiny bodysuit and put it on Yesung (https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0525563026.html). He goes in his bedroom and slowly put the baby in the Moses basket. He covered him with the small white blanket and pushed his pacifier between the baby’s lips. 

 

“Tomorrow I will buy you a crib but tonight you have to sleep here.”

 

The baby only looks on his daddy and on his pacifier while wriggling around in the soft blanket. Siwon is his tiny hands until the baby fell asleep and then takes a shower too. He went to watch the TV for a while to give his brain something different to think about but unfortunately there are TV news.

 

“This morning a young woman committed suicide by jumping off the Banpo bridge. Her body was found few hours later. According to found documents, police revealed her identity - Myoui Mina.”

 

The report continues but Siwon doesn’t listen to it anymore. He feels sick and runs in the bathroom. He vomits and then started to cry. He hoped that the police will find Mina alive, that they will be able to stop her from killing himself. Siwon cries for few minutes before feeling too exhausted to squeeze more tears out of his eyes. He got up and goes in his bedroom where is sleeping his son. He kneeled down next to the basket and Yesung’s hair.

 

“I promise to God and Mina that I am going to take care of you, I am going to give you all my love.”

 

Siwon lay down and curled into a small ball while watching the sleeping baby. He sobs few times and then fell asleep too. 

 

The next morning his father called him, of course that his wife told him the news but he hasn’t had time to see his grandson. He told to his son that he can take one week off so he can arrange his new life as a father. Siwon diapered and dressed his son and then went in the kitchen. He is holding Yesung on his hip and looks around to find some food for him. He isn’t sure what can a little baby eat so he ends with preparing the formula. Yesung is on his bottle while his daddy eats a toast with cheese. In a while they are ready to go shopping. Siwon doesn’t have a car seat for Yesung so he called a taxi and holds the baby in his lap. He paid to the driver and walked in a huge mall. He looks on the map of the mall and finds out that there are many shops with baby things. In moment when the handsome man stepped inside the first shop, every saleswoman runs to him. They showed him the long row of strollers and Siwon has no idea which one to choose. They all looked almost the same but then he decided to buy a simple silver one. He immediately sat Yesung inside so he won’t need to carry him around. Then he heads to the section with tons of clothes. It would be better to send Heechul to shop for clothes but then he chose few items and goes in section with baby toiletries. Soon he has full arms and pushes the stroller out of the store. He sat down at a coffee shop and ordered a coffee while holding bottle of formula for Yesung. He is scrolling through offer of a furniture store and ordered a crib and a changing table. Siwon put his phone back in his pocket and smiles on Yesung who is babbling something. Siwon smiled and kissed his cute chubby cheek. 

 

“Soon you will be able to munch on a cupcake.”

 

Yesung only claps his hands and giggles on his daddy. Siwon finished his coffee and then wants to leave the mall until he spotted a bookstore. He pushed the stroller inside and finds tons of books about babies. He bought few of them so now he can find out what a baby eats. They finally head home and Yesung is asleep in his stroller. Siwon put all the things down and sighed. It is going to be hard. He needs to grow up and become an adult. He is responsible for one tiny human. The crib arrived and Siwon started to put it together. The crib is pretty and Siwon put the ordered bedding inside. Yesung is resting on his tummy on the huge bed of his daddy and Siwon picked him up. He laid his son in the new crib and smiles.

 

“Do you like it?”

 

Yesung looks up on the crib mobile and laughed. Siwon unpacked his new clothes and toys and then started to read the books about being a parent. It sounds terrible but Siwon can do this. Yesung is his son and he is his dad. They belong together. 

 

Siwon is studying and Yesung sleeps in his crib. His mind keeps running away to Mina and he tries to forget about the fact that he acted like a and ruined everything. But now he isn’t going to ruin his second chance. He is highlighting parts which looks important and sees that there are many things he can ed up and hurt the six month old baby. Soon it is time to feed Yesung a bottle of formula and then he burped him. Siwon holds him in his hands and sighed.

 

“What we can do now?”

 

He bought some toys so he handed a rattle to him and chuckled because everything the baby does is cute. He also has to do one not very nice thing - his father told him to pay for a DNA test. Siwon grabs a cotton swab and takes a sample of Yesung’s saliva. In two days he will know if this baby is his real son. Siwon doesn’t think that negative results could make him put the baby away. Maybe that it sounds weird but he loved Mina and a bit of her is living in the baby. The baby is shaking the colorful rattle and laughs on his daddy. Siwon can’t help it and his small hands. He didn’t think that watching a baby can be entertaining but it can be! Siwon eats ramen for dinner and feeds Yesung spoons of mashed broccoli with brown rice. Then it is time to bath him which is quite hard. Siwon is scared that he will accidentally drown him or something like that. However Yesung is having fun and splashes the water around. Siwon dried his tiny body and then feeds him a bottle of formula. The baby must be sleepy because he is yawning and showing his tiny pink tongue. Siwon laid him down in the crib and watches him falling asleep. A weird feeling is filling his stomach and Siwon can’t get rid of it. It is fear mixed with love and he might not know that this feels every parent.

 

He believed that babies cry a lot but Yesung didn’t wake up during the night. On the other hand loud Heechul came. Siwon opened the door for his brother who has hands full of bags. Siwon peeked inside and sees many clothes.

 

“Heechul, do you know that babies grow up fast? Why did you buy so much clothes?”

 

Heechul rolled his eyes in disgust over his brother’s protest against his fashion sense. He knows that a baby doesn’t need so much clothes but Heechul simply loved all the cute outfits. Heechul silently giggled like a lunatic and creeps in the bedroom and dances around the crib. He loves babies! Yesung doesn’t care about his uncle who would die for his little nephew. Heechul is staring on the baby for a while but he doesn’t wake up so he goes in the kitchen where is Siwon creating breakfast for his baby boy. Heechul drinks a coffee and hopes that the baby will be more lively - he wants to be a funny uncle who will play with him and pamper him. Finally the baby started to cry and Siwon hurries to change his diaper and carried him in the kitchen. Heechul is cooing and immediately grabs a spoon and the bowl with Yesung’s breakfast. He started to feed him and makes funny faces.

 

“What about a walk?”

 

Heechul picked up the baby and dressed him (https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0842365001.html). Siwon is going to stay home because he has to baby proof the apartment, there are many dangerous things. Heechul sat the baby in his stroller and went out. He is walking around a near park while Siwon prepared everything. He built a portable crib in the living room, put the baby walker in a corner and folded all the clothes before putting it in a chest of drawers. He also covered every electrical outlet and secure furniture which could fall down on Yesung to walls. Heechul is back soon and has to leave so Yesung is alone with his daddy. He is laid in the portable crib and Siwon swaddles him in a blanket. The baby is asleep in few seconds because of his daddy’s hands massaging his feet. Siwon has to do some work so he started to work on his computer and hopes that his dad isn’t mad at him for having a break. He will need to visit them soon but for now he needs to settle in. Yesung is a little angel who sleeps a lot during nights and eats without making a fuss but taking care of a baby is still exhausting. Yesung woke up after an hour and sat up in his crib. He is on his pacifier and reaches his small hands toward the crib mobile. Yesung isn’t speaking yet but he can make plenty of sounds. Siwon heard him so he goes in the bedroom and he still has to finish some work so he sat Yesung in the baby walker. The baby watches his daddy who is working and stretched his short legs but can’t touch the floor. He is watching his daddy who is working and then Siwon got up to feed him lunch and then grabs few toys. He doesn’t know how to play with a baby but has to entertain him. Luckily for him Yesung is laughing and doesn’t mind that his daddy isn’t so funny. Siwon doesn’t even realize that time is flying so fast because he is having fun with his son. Even Yesung’s laugh sounds similar to Mina’s. The baby is tired again so Siwon sat him down in a baby bouncer and let him to have another nap. The baby is sleeping and his daddy watches him. Siwon loves him so much, from the tips of his tiny fingers to his black hair. They spend rest of the day playing and cuddling and Siwon is feeling like a better dad with every passing day. 

 

The next morning Siwon packed a diaper bag and sat his son in his car seat for babies. His parents want to see their grandson and Siwon’s mom is immediately cuddling with Yesung while the grandpa is hesitating.

 

“Is he really your son?”

 

Siwon only nodded because the DNA test is a clear evidence that Siwon is his father. Of course that Mina wouldn’t have given him child of another man but now he is sure with that. Siwon’s father takes the small baby and looks at him. Yesung is calm but still whines a bit because he wants his daddy to hold him. Yesung doesn’t know it yet but he is going to be the most spoiled boy in South Korea. Siwon is chatting with his parents while bouncing Yesung on his knees. Everything is fine until his mother dropped a serious question. 

 

“Did you pay a visit to her grave?”

 

Siwon thought about it for rest of the day and then decided that he has to see Mina’s grave. In the morning he got dressed in a black suit but decided to go without a tie, then he dressed Yesung (https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0735412002.html). The baby is sitting in his stroller and plays with a rattle while Siwon heads to the graveyard where is resting Mina. He doesn’t want to go there because he is still mad at himself for chasing her away but at least he can say sorry to her dead body. He found her grave and put down a bouquet of flowers on the headstone.

 

“I know that saying sorry won’t bring you back to life but here I am. I am sorry Mina.”

 

Siwon cries and hangs his head in shame. Only if Mina said that she is pregnant.

 

“Mommy should also have your picture.”

 

Siwon crouched down and put a silver photo frame with Yesung’s picture on the headstone. The baby in his stroller has no idea where is he or who is lying under the grey headstone. Siwon stands there for a while and thinks about Mina but then he feels tears in his eyes and decided to leave. He is pushing the stroller and keeps speaking with Yesung. They are walking around a coffee shop and Siwon suddenly wants to have a cup of coffee. He pushed the stroller in the small shop and sat down to an empty desk. He stopped the stroller next to him and Yesung is curiously looking around the busy place which has such a weird scent. Siwon ordered a coffee and slowly drinks while speaking with his son. Siwon must look crazy because a girl came to him and asked him why is he speaking with the baby when he doesn’t understand him. Siwon only chuckled and answered her that his son can understand him. It is true, because sometimes Siwon feels that the baby can understand him very well. Something in his eyes makes him believe that Yesung understands him and knows that his daddy is going to love him forever, despite the way they got together.

 

THE END