1. Am I A Joke To You?

What A Life

''I screwed up man. Big time.''

Junmyeon really imagined his morning to look different. It was his first free day in a month where he wasn’t drowning in sea of assignments and homework or he didn’t felt his life was being out of him during lectures. That's what you have for choosing Business Management as your college study, especially when your father is the CEO of the biggest marketing company in South Korea.

Now, he would rather stay in his dorm, dressed in sweatpants, cuddled to his girlfriend with some noodles and Midnight Runners playing on a laptop screen.

Anything would be much better than sitting in this cafe and listening to Chanyeol feeling sorry for himself after meeting with his possible in-laws.

"If I say you did, will you let me go home?" He asked staring blindly at the wall , bringing mug of coffee to his lips.

"I never feared death until I looked into this man’s eyes." Chanyeol was now looking at his fused fingers with teary eyes.

"I'm sure you did, but I would really appreciate if you’d stop sinking in despair righ-"

"George Michael was right. I’m never gonna dance again.”

Junmyeon put roughly his mug on the table almost spilling its content. He turned to his friend and gave him the most sarcastic smile. So much for being friend with a drama queen.

"I see you can’t think straight so I’ll summarize your recent actions so maybe we can go back to the normal conversation." Junmyeon’s veins was this close to popping out of his hands.

Chanyeol looked at him like a kicked puppy.

"You met Seungwan’s parents and during the first 4 hours of knowing them you managed to” He started to count on his hand "1.Fall over while opening door for Seungwan. 2. Got so nervous that instead of telling her mom that she has pretty eyes you said 'You have eyes' and 3. Baked her dad your apple cinnamon turnovers when he’s allergic to cinnamon. And gluten."

"I arranged them all nicely in a cute basket, and brought it so he’ll know that I was being serious." Chanyeol voice was now tiny and cracked. Junmyeon only sighed at put his hand hard on Chanyeol’s knee.

’’I get it. Tell me, were you trying to tell him you hate him? Here’s an idea; use your goddamn words to tell him instead of poisoning him.”

Chanyeol grabbed his head and ruffed his hair leaving him looking like a madman who haven’t slept for the last 3 days.

"What am I going to do know? She was so excited about her parents coming from Canada so I wanted to make a good first impression. Turns out, I just embarrassed myself and blew up my chance of them liking me."

"You’re being overdramatic. First meeting with in-laws is always nerve-wrecking so don’t think so highly of yourself. You’re not the first and not the last either." Junmyeon stated bluntly. He didn't want to sound harsh when his friend was clearly worried but at the same time this is the man who once cried over music box after one bottle of champagne.

"Easy for you to say. Joohyun’s parents loved you before you even opened your mouth. So much for having church-going-boy face."

"First of all, it’s not my fault that my face is like a love magnet for elders. Second of all, no, her parents didn’t love me from the first meeting."

The glimpse of hope lit in Chanyeol’s eyes.

"Really?”

"Nah, just kidding. They adored me!” Junmyeon laughed, slapping his friend's knee. He, on the other hand, looked less enthusiastic. "Turns out all you have to do is go to college, not have a neck tattoo or a baby on the side and you get access to the Bae household.” He said as he took a sip of his drink.

Seeing Chanyeol sinking into the cushion, he felt a wave of guilt for not giving any closure to the giant so he calmed down and pressed his lips into thin line.

Seungwan was Chanyeol’s first serious girlfriend since high school. Seeing how she was all he could talk about, reminded him of the day he met Joohyun.

He will never forget that day she accidentally spilled chemicals on his lab robe during Chemistry the first day she was transferred to a new school from Daegu.

Truly a prefect way to meet the love of your life.

Remembering that, he looked apologetic toward his sorrowed friend. He shifted next to him and swung his arm onto giant’s shoulder.

"Yeol, listen. I know you might think that what happened will cross you out of Wannie’s life or that her parents will spite you for your clumsiness” as he was naming the scenarios, the color slowly left Chanyeol’s face "but I wouldn’t worry too much. I know that I can’t speak from experience, but believe me- one meeting won’t change anything. Even if the first impression wasn’t the best, you think that Wannie would easily let you mop around and refuse to meet her parents again?”

"I guess she wouldn't. She's quite stubborn.” Chanyeol smiled a little.

" Do you REALLY think she would let her parents misjudge you just because you were nervous, which by the way is totally normal?”

"Now that you mention it-”

"Exactly!” A loud slap to the head. Chanyeol groaned in pain. "So stop living in despair and tell your girl to arrange another meeting while they are still in Korea.” Junmyeon sat proudly on the cafe’s sofa ready to take victorious sip of his Americano.

"Ok, you're right. I will. There’s only one thing left.”

"And what's that?” As soon as liquor reached his throat, he instantly regretted it.

"For the time being, what should I do now with the ring?”

Chanyeol took out a small black box and stared at it intensely. He was so focused on it so he didn't even pay attention to his friend who was now choking from shock on his drink. People around them eyed him weirdly as he coughed.

"A RING?! You’re already thinking of proposing? When did you buy it!?”

"A month ago.” He said as if the statement wasn’t anything serious.

"A MONTH AGO?! You met her parents yesterday but have a ring already?”

"I bought it just in case.”

Junmyeon stared at him in something mixed between shock and disbelief. Sure, he was an adult with a 4 year old relationship but... does this guy knows anything about rational order of actions?

Flipping his eyes from Chanyeol to the box, he fully turned to him.

"How much you did you spend?”

Shamefully, Chanyeol hid the box in the sleeves of his hoodie and looked away. "13 000.” Now it was Junmyeon’s turn to turn pale. But in his case, from anger.

"What!? It’s even more expensive than your Iron Man suit you bought for the last Halloween!” Did this guy kill somebody?! How does he have so much money!?

Junmyeon took a deep breath and proceed to collect his stuff and head out before he won't manage and whoops his friend’s .

"I’m leaving.”

"Noooo! Don’t leave me with this!" Chanyeol grabbed Junmyeon’s wrist and brought it to his forehead. He might actually try to beg.

Junmyeon turned around. Aura around him darkened.

"Last week you could barely pay for a student loan and mopped around the dorm eating ramen for three days. Last month you were complaining about paying extra money at the car wash. You know who had to listen to that? Me. Now you have spend over 10 000 dollars... "just in case”?

He might support his friend's love life. But him being pain in the is something Junmyeon has enough of.

"My friend, when you get back to the dorm I will give you serious lesson about money management.It's gonna be long and very painful for you.” From his mouth, it sounded like a threat.

Junmyeon took his wrist out of Chanyeol’s large hands and dramatically threw his jacket over his shoulder.

"And now excuse me. I left my Joohyun alone in my room this morning so I could listen to your lament and now I would love to go back. Have a nice existential crisis.”

And with that he exited cafe leaving the boy with a pout on his face. He took out his phone and dialed Seungwan’s number.

"Honey, it’s me. Can you tell me what kind of flowers your mom likes? And also, does your dad like fishing? Cause if they don’t like me, I’ll have to sell my kidney.”