Stand By Me

Stand By Me

STAND BY ME

 

 

“Grandma!”

Five-year-old Taemin yelled and ran towards the tall man who immediately bent low to scoop up the little boy in his arms. Minho tried to keep his smile in place and not scowl at his husband who was snickering by his side.

Minho placed a loud kiss on Taemin’s cheek and grumbled, “Don’t call me grandma. Call me grandpa or harabeoji.” His loud kisses took the sting out of his words.

“I can’t do that Grandma. Mom said if I call you grandma all day today, she will bake my favorite pie for dinner,” Taemin placed sloppy kisses on Minho’s cheek as he explained his gender-bending greeting.

“Why don’t you call him Granny, Tae? If you do that, I will ask your mother to make you a pie for dinner tomorrow also,” Jinki mischievously winked at his grandson.

Minho groaned at the suggestion of his husband for 42 years, and screamed for their daughter, “Boonie! Stop hiding in the kitchen!”

Taemin patted Minho’s silver hair as if soothing his younger grandfather’s ruffled feathers and made cooing sounds that made both his grandfathers gaze at him adoringly, “Don’t worry, Granny. It’s for a few hours only. I promise to call you grandpa again tomorrow.”

“Gwiboonie says she is busy cooking in the kitchen and not hiding from you,” Jonghyun informed his much taller but younger father-in-law. “She also says that she is not afraid of you, and you will gracefully allow Taemin whatever he wants to call you today,” He tacked on an apologetic smile to appease the visibly irate older man. “And may I suggest not to go to her at the moment. She is ready with her favorite weapon in hand – her largest spatula.” Jonghyun shuddered for visual effect, remembering the last time he was on the receiving end of the said weapon. His nose also twitched in remembered pain.

Jinki laughed loudly and patted Jonghyun’s back as if that would take away the younger man’s long-gone pain. With his other hand on Minho’s lower back, he guided his husband to move deeper into their daughter’s home. He kissed Minho’s shoulder and smiled on receiving a kiss on his hair. No matter how long they were married, he still loved the flush of red on Minho’s face.