From Up Above [final]

From Up Above
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The bell from the elevator gave a relief to Seulgi, a sign that she was about to step out of her misery, not because the elevator was crowded that she couldn't breathe indeed they were only four people in the elevator including her but being around men and a woman in suit inside a huge grand elevator- if there was such thing, made Seulgi uncomfortable. She was glad that she was only on the seventh floor and the very first one to step out. The ride was quick thanks to the not just grand but fast elevator. 

 

But just when Seulgi thought that she was already spared out, she was mistaken. She stood in the middle of the lobby, confused if she got off the right floor because there was no way that she in SM Finance Corp. She was sure she was in a hotel, but then again how could a hotel be inside a business building in Gangnam district?

 

Seulgi massaged her temple and decided to approach the receptionist area where another group of men in business attire was sitting comfortably on the couch across.

 

"Hello, good afternoon. I have a two o'clock appointment." Seulgi said to the receptionist, it was only 1:58.

 

"May I know your name, Miss?"

 

"Kang Seulgi."

 

The lady typed on her desktop and displayed a smile before turning again to her.

 

"You have an appointment with Miss Bae Joohyun, please have seat first while I inform her." 

 

Seulgi bowed her head and sat on the couch where two men in suit were seated, one busy on his phone while the other one was reading a business magazine.

 

The overall atmosphere was making her uncomfortable, she felt out of place with her attire and her status in life. Seulgi prepared for that day as she would like to think, but no matter how much you prepared but still didn't know about the war you're going to then there's no point at all, but she's in no war. Seulgi reminded herself that she was a client here and clients were treated equally, one thing she learned from working in the service industry.

 

"Miss Kang, kindly follow me." Seulgi didn't notice that the receptionist was already in front of her as she was too deep in her thoughts. She was lead in a small conference room that could fit five people inside, the room was well lit due to the huge glass window overseeing the city from above.

 

"Have a seat first, Miss Kang. Miss Bae is already on her way. Do you want anything?"

 

Seulgi politely declined the offer of the receptionist. It was too silent that she could hear her breathing. There was no reason to be nervous at all but Seulgi couldn't help it, she was in a different realm far from what she was used to.

 

The glass door swung open that caught her attention again. Many times today that Seulgi's head was up on space but it might have been too much that she thought she had already reached heaven because she was seeing an angel now.

 

"Good afternoon Miss Kang, I'm Bae Joohyun." The angel offered her hand to her that Seulgi was hesitant to shake but still did so.  

 

The meeting started but only half or even less than an hour Seulgi understood for the reason that she really couldn't understand money matter talk and the angel also known as Joohyun was distracting her, not that Joohyun was deliberately doing anything to distract her but the financial adviser's visual was unbelievable. 

 

"If ever you decide to take our service then we needed to check all of your assets and liabilities. Do you have any questions, Miss Kang?" Joohyun gave her a polite smile. Seulgi shook her head.

 

"Ah, no. I don't have any questions." Seulgi said despite not understand what Joohyun had said. "Just call me Seulgi." 

 

Joohyun gave her another smile. "Okay, Seulgi, I hope to hear from you this week? Thank you so much for your time." Joohyun stood and shook Seulgi's hand again. 

 

"Will you  be my financial adviser? Seulgi asked Joohyun in the midst of shaking her hand.

 

"Yes, absolutely." Joohyun said. 

 

"Okay, then I'm up to it." Seulgi said.


 

Who would have thought that a lax woman but indeed talented artist Seulgi would become one day known and successful? Even her thought she only got lucky because never she had ever imagined her paintings to gain attention from the upper. Most people thought and even her parents that Seulgi didn't have a dream or she was not aspiring well, taking up fine arts in school because she wanted to draw even believing that there was a grain of salt chance that she'd be able to make a living by selling her paintings. Seulgi was not born with a golden spoon in but she was fortunate enough that her parents supported her passion, for her life was not about material things thus never dreaming of becoming ultra-rich but she did know the importance of money. She was only used to having enough budget to carry on every month with a little bit of savings in the bank from her part-time jobs and some commissioned job but she couldn't remember having more than enough, that was why when that time came she didn't know what to do or more like she didn't care about it until her friend and her art dealer--Seungwan forced her to seek help of a financial adviser and even scheduling her for a meeting before she could agree. Seulgi was still wondering what brought Seungwan to do so, she only said that she hadn't used the money she got from paintings to buy anything nor a plan yet. Even an investment or a vacation, Seungwan asked. No, nothing yet. Seulgi said.

 

It was not the lack of planning that made Seungwan recommend a financial adviser to Seulgi, it was her friend's lack of care that she now could be considered as a millionaire. Her friend, of course, appreciates how simple she was but dull and needed some help for Seulgi to realize what she was missing.

 

Seulgi put down a plate of cake in Joohyun's table and smiled at the adviser. "Just tell me if you want anything, Miss Bae."

 

The financial adviser shook her head. "No, I'm totally fine." She replied with a smile.

 

"I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, Miss Bae. I forgot to put our appointment on my calendar." Seulgi bowed her head to apologize. 

 

"No, it's fine. It's more convenient for me to have the meeting here in the cafe since I came from another meeting nearby."

 

"Is that so? My shift will end fifteen minutes from now, I'd go back to my post now." Seulgi bowed and headed back to the cashier.

 

Seulgi was still embarrassed that she almost forgot about their meeting for today, good thing Joohyun was around the area of the cafe where she was working and asked if they could have the meeting there. Joohyun politely obliged.

 

Seulgi was observing Joohyun from across the room and she couldn't help but feel giddy inside. The butterflies in her stomach had gone wild again like the first time when she first held Joohyun's hand. For Seulgi, Joohyun's profession suited her in so many ways-- Joohyun looked intelligent perfect for her profession, her emotionless but warm demeanor gave an impression that she was trustworthy and knows what she was doing. Despite that Seulgi still didn't think that a financial adviser would be much in use for her.

 

"I apologize for keeping you waiting, Miss Bae." 

Seulgi said. They were now sitting across each other. Her shift ended minutes ago and she was all rushed to change and get her bad from her locker inside.

 

"No, worries Seulgi. And just call me Joohyun." The corner of Joohyun's mouth lifted up.

 

"Do you own the place?" Joohyun asked.

 

Seulgi was baffled.

 

"Do you own this cafe?" Joohyun asked again that made it clearer for Seulgi.

 

"This cafe? Ah no, no. This is where I work part-time, regularly." Seulgi chuckled. "I've been working part-time here for a long time that I considered myself a regular part-timer."

 

Now, Joohyun was baffled but she didn't say anything and instead nodded.

 

"Is this your statement account?" Joohyun pointed at the brown envelop on the table.

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

"Do you mind if I look into it?"

 

"No, no. You can do whatever you like with that. I couldn't even understand that thing." Seulgi laughed at her innocence.

 

Their meeting started and Joohyun was even more shocked to know that Seulgi had more money in her bank account than what she expected but aside from that Seulgi didn't have any more assets or even liabilities, the young artist was debt-free. And as what her job required her, she asked Seulgi about an important matter like, when do you want to retire? What kind of lifestyle do you have or plan after the retirement, do you have a business venture in mind or any investment to do? 

 

"I'd be really honest with you, Seulgi, I don't think that you need me here. You don't have a desire to put up a business or to invest your money or -- that I highly suggest. You're debt-free, and basically, with the lifestyle you have you can already retire right at this moment." Joohyun told Seulgi with the same calm and just-a-matter-of-fact tone.

 

Seulgi's mouth was agape. "What does that mean?" 

 

The financial adviser would like to crack up a laugh if only she wouldn't look unprofessional. It amazed her how the young artist was too naive that she found cute even from the first time they met and talked. She's been working as a financial adviser for years now, and she thought she was good at her job and for that, she already knows what was going on her client's head. She knew if her clients were nervous, frightened for their future, happy, anything. but for Seulgi she didn't know what was going on the artist's head. No matter how Joohyun tried to read Seulgi's expression she couldn't get any with her next to nothing expression, she could compare to talking to a child--Yes! That's it, it was like teaching a child the concept of something they couldn't relate to and Joohyun finds it adorable or maybe finds Seulgi adorable, after all Joohyun understood that numbers weren't everyone's cup of tea, and Seulgi was an artist and it was her job to guide her through it.

 

"I don't think that my service would be needed, meaning, I don't think you need a financial adviser. You're doing fine, Seulgi, if you keep your lifestyle of yours and money is still coming, you'll leave plenty of inheritance to your future children. What you need most is an accountant for your taxes." Joohyun smiled at Seulgi.

 

"Is that so?" Seulgi asked again. The artist had more questions now than the first she had met the adviser.

 

Joohyun nodded at her.

 

"Does that mean if I agree then I am not going to see you again?"

 

Joohyun was puzzled with the artist's question, some might find Seulgi's question offensive but knowing her client's innocence she didn't take it the hard way. The financial adviser chuckled and nodded.

 

Seulgi's mouth almost dropped. "Can't you be my accountant as well?" She innocently asked.

 

Joohyun now couldn't contain her chuckle. "No, financial advising and accounting are two different things. But if you want I can recommend an accountant."

 

Seulgi tilted her head. "B-but, I might change my mind and do some investing in time."

 

"Yes, that might happen sooner or later you can call me anytime so we can plan it ahead but for the moment you're doing fine." Joohyun smiled.

 

"Then, I would see you again?" 

 

Joohyun nodded again. "Yes, that's right. We'll see each other again."

 

"So if I decide to do something on my money you'd help me plan it and help me with my investments? Then we have to see each other more often?" Seulgi asked again.

 

"Yes, as long as you need my assistance."

 

Seulgi nodded with understanding while Joohyun could only smile that the child in Seulgi was finally getting it.

 

"Okay, I'd like to make some investments then?" Seulgi blurted.

 

Joohyun's eyes widened with a sudden decision of Seulgi. "Are you certain? That's too quick for you to decide, not that I don't want you to do it but aren't you going to think about it first? or think about where you want to put your money first?"

 

"Maybe you could help me with that, help me understand these things." Seulgi smiled at her.

 

"Alright, then."

 

It took them another hour discussing investments, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc.

It was like a super crash course for Seulgi-- who was certainly a total beginner. And Joohyun was more than happy to explain it to the artist that seemed really interested to learn. She also made suggestions for future business ideas and some company to invest her money in.

 

"If you don't mind me asking, I'd notice that it was only more than a year ago since your income went up like this. What happened at that time? You don't have to answer, of course, it is not that I suspect you doing illegal or anything."

 

Of course, Joohyun was sure that Seulgi's money came clean and she knew that it was from the sales of her paintings. SM Financial corp. was conducting a minor background check with their potential clients to avoid getting in trouble in the long run.

 

"No, I don't mind at all." Seulgi shook her head started how it all began.

 

"It's all because of Seungwan. Son Seungwan if you know her?" 

 

Joohyun nodded. "Their family is our client for a long time now and I met her a couple of times at some company events."

 

"Well, we studied in the same high school. I got a scholarship for my skills in drawing that's why I was able to study in private school. We became friends throughout high school but she needed to go back to Canada with her family, we lost contact after then she came back a year ago and asked me to meet up. It was like we only saw each other yesterday, then after some catching up she told me that her mom, who is a known art dealer was having this mini art exhibition for young and new artists then she asked me if I want to submit a work of mine. Of course, I grabbed the chance it was not every day that someone would offer that kind of opportunity and not everyone in the industry was given a chance to join."

 

Joohyun was seeing the bigger picture now. "And that's it all started?"

 

"Yes, that's it. I submit three artworks. I didn't actually expect that to sell a single piece, I'm already happy to see my paintings hanging on the exhibition wall. We were all seven artists in the exhibit each had a maximum of three paintings to display so it never occurred to me that mine would get notice. Then, as luck was generous to me that day all my paintings were bought by only one person that a known art collector. Then that's it! Kang Seulgi's career began." Seulgi said with her hands imitating a blow-up action.

 

Joohyun chuckled, she finds her client adorable.

 

"Do you have anything to do on Saturday night?" Seulgi all of the sudden asked.

 

Joohyun tilted her head and checked her schedule on her phone. "I do have dinner with friends on Saturday." She replied to Seulgi.

 

"Oh, is that so?" Seulgi scratched the back of her ear with her lythe finger. 

 

"Why?" Joohyun asked.

 

"I am having my solo exhibit this coming Saturday night, I would like to invite you but since you have a prior engagement it's fine I'd still put your name in my guest list if ever you want to drop by. You can bring your friends if you want to. It'd be at the Conrad Hotel, I'll message you the details. "

 

It was a simple invitation but it made Joohyun feel giddy inside. She was used to her clients both men and women inviting her over dinner or to some events but most of them were only wanted to make a move on her and she wasn't comfortable being with her clients outside work the work premise but with Seulgi she felt safe and it feels natural to be around her but still Joohyun didn't make any promises at all.

 

Seulgi walked Joohyun to her car parked across the coffee shop, the young artist was impressed with Joohyun's black Mercedez Benz sedan when she saw it, the car suited its owner's elegance. Right then, Seulgi thought that everything about Joohyun shouts money even the profession she chose proved it.

 

Saturday night cam and Seulgi was wandering around talking and entertaining her exhibit's guests. With a champagne in hand that she almost dropped seeing Joohyun looking around, Seulgi hastily but calmly went to Joohyun. Seulgi didn't let her hopes up to see Joohyun that night.

 

"I didn't think you can make it." Seulgi said to Joohyun with a bright smile. Too happy to see the adviser there.

 

"Dinner was cut short than expected, so I decided to drop by." Well, Joohyun cut her stay short. After dinner, her friends decided that the night was young so they wanted to spend some time in a bar but Joohyun made an excused and bid them goodbye.

 

The original plan was to really drop by and just to see the exhibit for a while since she didn't come with anyone to spend time with and most probably Seulgi was busy that night but as the night went both of them didn't notice the time and it was almost midnight and the venue was about to close.

 

From time to time Seulgi would wander around but it wouldn't take long until she gets back to Joohyun and they would talk about almost everything, from Seulgi's inspiration to her exhibit's theme which was ink on paper to Seulgi's early influence in her art. Joohyun basically dissected Seulgi's mind and no matter how deep she had gotten the young artist still fascinates her. 

 

Their chat didn't end after the venue closed down, instead, the two continued it at the hotel's restaurant on the ground floor.

 

"That's enough talking about myself, how about you? Tell me something about you." Seulgi said.

 

Joohyun thought for a while, she was rummaging her brain about her that was not boring.

 

"To make it easier for you, I'll ask questions."

 

"Okay, that's better." Joohyun agreed.

 

"Let start with the easy one. Why did you become a financial adviser?"

 

"Why?" Joohyun muttered and tilted her head. "I thought that was an easy one." She joked about it.

 

Seulgi patiently wait for Joohyun to speak up, it was taking a while but she didn't mind she was enjoying the moment and it's buying her more time to look at Joohyun's angelic appearance. The adviser didn't seem to notice it since she was deep in her thought.

 

"Well, I didn't much think of it. I always enjoy numbers and mathematics so when my Suneung exam result came out and it said that I am fit to be a financial adviser I went along with it and luckily I enjoyed it."

 

"I just realized that you and I are the same. We already know what we like at a very young age and we were lucky enough to have pursued a career on it." 

 

Joohyun looked deeply into Seulgi's monolid eyes and realized how the latter was a true artist. Deep within Seulgi's gaze, she was lost but at the same time found a profound feeling that was pounding on her. Withing Seulgi's eyes she was falling, endlessly.

 

"Yes, in that aspect we were very much the same." Joohyun replied.

 

It had been a long-short night they spent together, both of them didn't want to say goodbye but the didn't say it to one another. Seulgi insisted on paying for their bill that Joohyun said she didn't have to but Seulgi was adamant of doing so since she was the one who invited her. The younger artist walked Joohyun to the car park, the financial adviser even offered to drive her home but she said she had a room in the hotel.

 

That night was well spent for both of them.

 

Seulgi was enjoying the fruit of her labor now, after months of letting her money sit in the bank she finally had the use of it. For the first time, Seulgi felt glad that she was making money now not that she was not generating money before but a little extra (a lot of extra) wasn't bad for a bit of splurging. Dinners with Joohyun became frequent and most of the time or all of the time Seulgi was insisting to pay for it even though she didn't have to, Joohyun would say, then she would insist of driving Seulgi home. Her apartment was actually out of Joohyun's way the adviser also insist on doing so.


 

"I'm kind of thinking that getting a financial adviser didn't make it better for you." Joohyun said on the driver's seat. Her eyes were focused on the road.

 

Seulgi's eyes furrowed looking at Joohyun's side profile for the passenger's seat. "So you're saying that you're not doing you're job well?" 

 

Joohyun chuckled. "No, that's not what I mean." she paused for a while focusing on the turn she made.

 

"It is just that I noticed that ever since you got my service you were also spending more than ever." Joohyun continued.

 

"But you said before that money should be spent or invested because it's good for the economy." Seulgi said.

 

"Yes, that right." Joohyun grinned, it was a major ego boost to know that Seulgi learned a thing or two from their crash course.

 

"Then, what's the matter? Am I spending too much lately?"

 

"Yes, you're spending a bit much than usual but it isn't that bad for

Please log in to read the full chapter