FINAL

Firefly's Love

They say that butterfly can live up to seven days while fireflies only live up to five days. Butterfly is a pretty existence that bring color to the world. While fireflies only shine in the dark night, shy away of light. People scared of the butterfly’s love that last as long as the person stay pretty. But I’m scared of firefly’s love, the one who only shine on night and no one pay attention during daylight.

 

She looked at the mirror, getting ready for that night. Her hair, her makeup, her cloth and her accessory all already taken account by her. She need to look good as she is one of the best courtesan in the place called the Spring Boudoir. But takes account, she doesn’t serve drink or in bed. What she offer is her talent in arts. People pay for her to dance, sing or play instrument.

The door to her place is opened and the madam comes to meet her. Without looking as she still perfecting her makeup, she asked “Who I’m serving tonight?”

“The host is the Third Prince to greet the Ninth Prince that just coming back. All of them will be princes. Today there shouldn’t be any mistake and most of all, you need to make an exception”

“There will be no exception. If I did, others will want it too and my value will be dropped. You know it. Remember the last one before me? She did an exception for the son of the revenue minister and now she is just a cheap courtesan that hardy anyone want”

“But those guys are princes”

“No matter who, they need to follow the rules of this place. The best courtesan only offer their skill and that how you mold me” she says strictly, getting up from her sitting position.

While leaving she says “That before me serve son of the revenue minister as promise to be his concubine and leave here. But me, I prefer stay here and perform rather than be someone casted away when bored”

The madam totally understand her. She used to go thru that phase and that is why she advice all courtesan under her. None actually take it to heart and she expect the one in front of her will also one day ignore it.

 

“Third brother, why did you bring me to this kind of place? If we really doing some reunion things, why we need it to be in Spring Boudoir?” asked the 9th prince who totally not used to this. He the rough type of guy who spend most of his time in army among men. Interaction to female for him is below zero as he already gone when he still a kid.

“You don’t know anything Ninth brother. This is the place in this whole capital where we can get great drink, performance and ladies” says the 3rd prince with a smirk.

“Yes, Ninth brother. Today your Third brother already book the best courtesan for you” smiled the 7th prince and he then added “Not even me got this chance”

At that time the madam comes and start to bring girls into the room. “Your Highnesses, please choose any lady to accompany while watching the performance. Today, special, the best courtesan will perform in the lotus lake”

“Owh” there a change in eyes on 3rd prince. “Madam usually won’t do this”

“Not like I don’t want. It depend on the lady. If she think it is better for that, it will be that. Since this is in middle of summer, she think today is the best day to perform like this. She also says, there will be surprise”

“Surprise? This makes this prince interested” comes from the 1st prince.

“Interested is interested. After choosing the ladies, we need to blow some candle since the performance will be great when the light is low” inform the madam. They don’t think much before agreeing on this. Most of them wishes to see something new that can blow their mind.

Impatient to see the performance, the 3rd prince do the job assigning the ladies to the sibling as their taste. When that done, the workers start to blow some candle; just enough to makes it darker than before.

“Please Your Highnesses wait for a while” says the madam before her leaving.

Slowly for someone with better ears, they can hear the sound of small boat rowed to the middle of the lake. It slowly stopped and then they see a small light being lighted. One by one around 7 candle in the boat ignite. It catch the attention of the princes with their attention on it.

Hand on the gayageum, she start to play. The spectator is in awe and become more when the small twinkling light suddenly lit up. The ethereal music with the breathtaking scene etched in everyone eyes and memory.

The song lasted for quite a while before the final note ended and everyone in trance suddenly woken up. Before everyone eyes, she blow the candle one by one and slowly the fireflies that come to accompany her hide.

“What kind of performance is this? It is so breathtaking” says the 9th prince. This is the first time something different that war itself interest him. No one can answer as that is the first time they see the show even though they been living in the capital all this long.

The madam enter the room and start to say “Do all Your Highnesses like the performance?”

“Yes. Very much like it. What kind of performance it is, why before this prince didn’t see this one?” ask the 3rd prince that always come to the Spring Boudoir.

“This is a new series performance called Firefly” they heard coming from behind the madam. When the approaching female can be seen, they know she is the one who perform before.

She greet the princes “Your Highnesses” with a smile. After getting acknowledgement, she explain. “I will perform a series of this performance of five days starting today. Each day will be a different performance. If Your Highnesses interested, please book this same room for another four days”

“Must be this five days?” asked the 1st prince and she nodded. “Like firefly that only last for five days before dying, my performance will last for five days too. If missed, Your Highness need to wait for another year. That also depend on if I’m still performing”

The madam totally love the arrangement that without her known. This just makes her business grow. Not only this room can see the performance, there a lot of other room. But this particular one get the best view of it.

Looking at each other and give glances, all of them show they want it. The particular room is pricy for normal people but for those princes, it is merely excess money. “We will book this place another four days” says the 3rd prince. He outmost won’t miss this special performance.

She glance to the madam and the madam nodded. Looking back at the princes she says “Count that this room is booked by Your Highness for another four days. As a thanks, this girl will play another song for Your Highnesses”

Her gayageum enter the room and she start to sit. Getting ready she start to play with all eyes on her. And one pair of them all is piercing.

 

Back in her room, she sit and takes a breather. The madam comes and says “This idea of you’re is great” she didn’t reply on line to the madam and ask “I know all of the princes except one. Who is he?”

“That is the ninth prince. He just come back from the border after the war ended. Today celebration is for him”

She sigh and says “I see…” There somehow a hit of red on her cheek. This is the first time for her to feel this way just by people watching her. She feel like she stark as her outside and inside being known by him.

“Will he be different than other?” she shake her head “No. The creature of male is all the same”

 

The next day she perform another song with different instrument. There different feel than yesterday but the same boat and the same scene. However, even for the second time, it is still breathtaking for the princes.

“She really deserve the name the best courtesan. Her skill is above others” comment the 3rd prince.

Looking around, that day the amount of people is shocking. After the performance yesterday, the news broke the capital and the room near the lake is booked by auction. This is exception from the main room that already booked by the princes. But that room price is way higher than normal room.

“This kind of woman makes me want to bring back and keep for myself” says the 1st prince. But there no way he can do as he said. He is just under one and his moves need to be carefully threaded.

“With this performance, not only you want to keep her. I think all those master and young master think the same” comment the 2nd prince.

“But someone like her definitely own high pride. She never agree to serve drink or serve in bed. She will only perform and anyone who try to do anything more will be banned from Spring Boudoir”

“To be said, this is the rule over here. This is due to a lot of main courtesan fall into money temptation and decide to be concubine”

“No matter what, if they didn’t say it, no one know. But she, she will say it outright. I kind of admire her braveness”

At that time, watching the performance ended the 9th prince somehow decide that he wish to own that woman. He doesn’t care how much pride she own as long as he didn’t try to destroy it and thread properly, she will be his.

While her, after leaving, she stay in her room. Today there too many people and there no need for her to do more than what it is. However, she is distracted.

“What with that Ninth Prince? He keep watching me as I’m his prey. If he try to do anything more than just that, I need to tell him to madam”

The third day and the fourth day, she play different instrument. Something that didn’t change the eyes on her from that someone. It still piercing as he can see her inside out. She also didn’t expect one the last day, the fifth day, while the day still shining, she would receive a present from him.

“From Ninth Prince?” she asked the madam and she nod. “I don’t know him. Why would he give me a gift?” opening it, she see a nice crafted jade ring. The quality is above all that she ever seen.

“Wow” comes from the madam who blinded by the beautiful jade ring. “Just accept it. There no way someone like us can afford something this exquisite. And beside the ninth prince, there other princes also give you gift. That not counted from the master and young master in this capital”

Sighing she then says “I will accept all of it. If I select and return some, this will create bad atmosphere toward Spring Boudoir”

The madam agree on that. She then want to leave to handle all the present when she remember something. “I heard from the rumor that the Ninth Prince want you as his princess. I don’t know if this rumor is credible or not. But you should be careful”

“I will. Thanks madam”

 

“Ninth Prince…” She mumble. Her body shakes and she hear someone calls her name that later turned into shout. Shocked she quickly stand up as everyone watched her. “Seulgi, are you sleeping in my class?” asked the lecturer and she blanked on the spot.

The lecturer sigh and says “Stop sleeping and listen to this presentation. This is the topic of your last performance and the best of all will be performing in upcoming program in a museum”

“But we been listening and this is all traditional music. It is not on our scoop” says one of the student and like been waiting the lecturer answer “Of course not. But if I say so, you need to do it. All music department get this subject as their last performance. And the best will be performing in front of audient”

Seulgi get closer to Irene and ask “What are we learning today?”

“The lecturer brief us about the topic of our last performance. It is based on the newest cultural archeology found. The archeologist found a new tomb of Ninth Prince and in it buried with him a lot of others. But what worth mentioning is the journal about a woman. From it they found that the Ninth Prince didn’t married due to his love to a courtesan. With the journal, they found the music book that written by that woman and others instrument and the cloth she used to perform”

“So, our last performance need to be inspired from this?”

“Yes. And the main title of the performance is Firefly” explain Irene that makes Seulgi eyes changed. She thinks “What? This is just like what I dream of?”

“Silence!” shout the lecturer. “I know this topic is quite hard. The Firefly series of performance is performed for five days. The first four will be the topic for different major, while all of you, will be taking the last performance. This performance is the alma mater of you guys. The dance performance”

There a cheer when they heard it is a dance performance and not others that not their major. “With this, the main topic and the inspiration, is firefly. Now watch the slide carefully as I will show a few picture of the dance routine that the archeologist manage to preserve”

She watch the pictures and with that imagine to move of the dance. When the pictures ended, the lecturer says “Me with a few other lecturer already materialize this pictures into a dance. For your next class, another lecturer will show and teach the dance. Makes sure to learn it well as you need to include this routine into your performance. Minor change is allowed but we must be able to see the gist of these routine in your performance”

 

He looks at the music instrument that clearly didn’t change over the time. “I heard that you give the change to perform to some university student?”

Looking at the owner of the voice he nod. “Rather than giving this change to professional, I think giving it to those student is better. From the record, that prince’s woman is around the same age as them. They might be able to perform better”

“Well… I don’t mind about your decision, but we also inform professional for the performance. There will be a team lead by professional for the show”

“I’m okay with that but, those student need their slot too”

“Don’t worry. I will arrange as you wish for” he says before ready to leave. But when he did so, his name is being called “Doyoung” He hear and look back.

“No drink allowed in here” says him and Doyoung looked at his hand. “Yeah. Yeah. I’m out” he says before leaving for real this time.

Looking back at the historical artifact, he says “I hope this time it last longer”

 

There a sound of glass breaking and he just stay there unmoved. “You! You!” the sound of someone angry banter can be heard.

“Forgive your son. All this life, your son never ask for anything. Just this time I wish Father Emperor can fulfill my wish” he still kneel near the broken glass. The throw of the glass just a few centimeter away from him.

“We don’t mind if she is a princess from another country or any noble ladies no matter where she is. But she is a mere courtesan. You want someone as low as that as your princess?”

“Father Emperor, I, your son have been living near the border since I’m six. I know the different between statuses that people spoke of, but in military, everyone is the same. It is mere like or dislike. Friend or enemy”

“Does this mean you detest us from sending you to the border? Does this is we mistake sending you away?”

“No. It is not. If father did not send me to the border, there will no longer me. I know at that time that my life is in threat. All thanks to Father Emperor from sending me that I can retain my life”

“No matter what you think, we didn’t agree. Go away” the Emperor give a signal to shove him away. As a son, he did as told and leave the palace.

 

“It is always my foolishness and my fault. The first time bring domino effect to your life. I just hope this will be the last time” In front of him at that time is an opened scroll of a woman. The scroll is one found from the tomb.

“I’m scared of the meeting that will only last for five days. That’s why I haven’t met you this life. That day we will met and this time I will makes sure it will last forever…” leaving the room he then says “The five days of the life of a firefly…”

 

“Is everyone here?” asked the lecturer who teaching the traditional dance to them. “As you already know, I will be teaching a set of routine from the firefly series. You guys will follow me first and after we practice for 50 set, anyone who already master it can go home early”

Hearing that they can go home early, most of them cheer. The lecturer laugh a little as she know it. Getting ready, all of them warmed up.

After all of them warmed up properly, the lecturer start to teach them move by move. The set of routine is not that long since most of the record still aren’t properly managed. The one that already retrieved is moved into a routine that last for around 10 second.

Everyone learn quickly is within prediction. Before the 50 set hit the mark, all of them already manage to remember it beautifully. And with this all of them leave after 50 set ended.

She practically already forgot the dream she got before due to the practice that last more than 3 hours. Eating dinner with her friend, leaving home to takes a shower and then hit the bed. That night another dream come to her.

 

Wearing nice outfit she looked at the mirror and then her eyes catch the jade ring on the box. “Just let me be willful this one” She takes it and wear it on her ring finger.

The time approaching and she leave her room, headed toward the lake. For today, there a huge floating stage set up in middle of the lake. She sit on the boat and head toward the middle of the lake. There a two maid that as soon as she stand on the middle, they light the candle around the stage.

As the first candle being lighten, she start to dance. All eyes on her and she notice that certain piercing eyes also on her. She notice it right away even before the light lightened up. It is like he can see her in midst of the darkness.

From the start of the dance she shining brightly as the candle lighten up and then fireflies comes to grace. When there a great amount of them, the maid start to blow the light one by one. She still dancing unfazed by everything. Her every move matched the fireflies.

The tempo of the dance changed and then suddenly stopped. Not because of the choreography of the dance but the arrow that stuck to her chest. She fall down backward and this is the first time she appreciate the light of the fireflies.

She sees one by one pass by her and then slowly her eyes closed.

 

Heavy breathing she woke up from her sleep. Sitting on the bed she looked around her room in shock as she notice fireflies around her. It is the right time for them but her house located in the city. There no way firefly can come to her house.

“What? What is all of this? The dance that lecturer teach yesterday is the same as what I experience” she asked herself. She piece together everything she dream off and then decide that she should properly learn the story of that woman.

Looking at the clock that almost near 5 AM, she woke up and headed out for some exercise. She can’t go back to sleep and her mind keep thinking about the dream.

In the park where no one yet as it is way early morning. She stand there and start to trace the dance in the dream. “It is really the same” But being a dancer and the need to be better, she decide to not just go with the dance as per she see. She decide to take her last performance seriously.

Coming to university that morning she headed toward her professor room. And start to explain how she need the slide used for the lecturer before for her inspiration. Hearing this, her professor gladly give it to her but with warning not to give it to others. The main reason is because the museum classified it until the show. And also to makes other student comes to her their self and ask for it, like her.

She says “Thanks” and promise of the rules before leaving. Since there no class that morning, she headed to dance room and start to watch the slides. This is when she learn the tip of iceberg from what being found. At the moment, there a lot of the cultural asset still need to be cleaned.

The slides show way less than what she learn from her dream. Sigh, she asked “Why am I having these dream?”

 

Time always move and her mind become more jumbled. Every day she will dream the same dream. This makes her can’t function properly. On top of all, she can’t even choreograph a dance for the last performance. To kill her, the evaluation is tomorrow.

The next day without a sleep she go to the evaluation place. Everyone already ready and she try to kill herself. The resentment to the dream come and then she remember the dance from the dream.

“At first I thought I want to create one. But because of this dream I can’t do it. You owe me, dream. Thus I will use your dance”

Her turn is in another 5 to 6 people. With this time she headed to arts department and to fashion major. Walking around the building she asked a handful of them if they got any hanbok either traditional or modern. After asking for some time, they stated that the theater major would have them in their collection.

This bring her to another run toward theater major place. Finding the right person she take the traditional hanbok and they also gladly do her hair. She carefully but faster back to the evaluation place. Just right as the one before her start to dance. With this she got time to rest before she needed to perform.

When it is really her turn, she walk toward the middle of the room in front of four panelist consist of the professor.

“Are you performing without accompany?” asked one of the professor and she nods. Then answering “I think the song that should be used is the combination of the four days performance. Thus, rather than using other song, I would like to dance without accompany”

The four of them quite agree on it. The topic itself is unique and there actually no other song better than the real one to be used. “Okay. Then you can start”

She take a pose and close her eyes. When she open it, she takes a deep breath and start to dance. The dance is the same as her dream. It is like thru her dream she learn the dance. Or her body already know the dance. But there a minor detail that she change just because she want her originality.

Nearing a certain part she frustrated as this is the time when the arrow struck. With her experience, she put a decent replacement for the end part and ended her dance move.

Looking at the front she see the awe looking professor. They start to talk with each other and when they notice her still there, they excuse her telling she did well. When she already leaving, they start the talk again.

“Her dance is flawless like it is the real dance from the history”

“I think so too. Did you think she go to the museum to see the recorded dance that they already retrieved?”

“There no way. All of it hidden and what given to us is merely a promotion type of information”

“I agree with that. But in case, let’s give a call to them asking if there any of our student go to visit them. Even though this not against the rules, but I would hope they be creative and individualistic”

The four of them agree on it. And with the call, they receive the answer that no one ever approach them. And even professional team that they contact for the show know as much as the professor.

The real music score and the dance will be revealed in four days before the performance. And they decide in that short amount of time for a few chosen people to learn and perform it.

“She really worth to be genius” is what they think when they heard that she never asked anything. Little they know she learn it all from her dream.

Showing a great skill on the evaluation gain her a place for the performance. She will be closing the university performance team with her solo dance.

 

“This is the list of the performance and the performer” he receive it and check the list. “This is the finalized after we got the info from the university”

“Thanks. The show will be in eight days. I will check the professional team to decide who will do the real historical performance in this few days. Tell the university team to turn in their recorded evaluation to us too”

“You’re not going to check on the university team?”

“They not a professional. I will just watch the video in case there someone better. But I doubt it. So, why bother” he says this but on the inside he scared. He doesn’t want to start the trigger.

“Ah. How about the invitation that I asked to give out?”

“I already send them and most of them agree to come. That day we will get a lot of master from different profession and there also some idols”

“Good. Makes sure their seat properly arranged”

 

In these few days he busy checking the progress of the performance. As he enter his office and he put a file on the table. On it there a profile of a few selected people that he choose to learn the historical music.

He takes a seat and start to start his computer. Doyoung already inform him about the evaluation video from the university. Today since everything is done, he decide to check it.

There no name on the videos and thus he play all of them one by one. Checking everything until he open a new one and she is there. His posture changed and he takes extra attention on the screen.

“No matter when, you still looks the same” he watch her dance and every move of her is the same as he remembered.

“Your dance is always this gre…” his voice stopped when the certain part comes. He can see the awkwardness after that part.

“If only I’m alert. If only I careful with my mouth…” he sigh and close the video. He decide that she will be the main finale for the show.

 

“The finale?” she asked her lecturer and she nodded.

“Yes. The museum management had decide that they want you to do the finale dance. They say the theme and the closeness of your dance to the original that found is the factor”

“But there will be around four days before the show. There no way I can remember that fast”

“I disagree at first but when I see the retrieved dance routine, it is closely resemble your dance. The management also says that it like you’re destined to do this dance”

When she heard something like that there no way she can push it away. There a burden in it and there also an honor. And most importantly, she want to learn more about her dream and thru this she will be able to do so.

She nod and says “I will do it”

“Good” smile her lecturer. “Tomorrow morning before nine, you should go to the museum. They will show you the complete transcript of the dance”

 

The next day she arrive at the museum as scheduled. This is not her first time in museum as she did visit a few during school trip. However, for this particular one, it is the first time for her.

After giving her name they give her a special pass. She enter the museum and start to looks around and this is the time she see the most perfect existence. She see him walking on the corridor toward her. Awestruck, she just stayed there until he stop a distance away from her.

“Kang Seulgi?” he asked and she nodded. “Come with me. The others also just arrived”

She follow him without words and they arrive in a meeting room. Inside there around 7 people in it. He did the introduction for all of them and they get to the real deal.

“This is the score for the music” he give a file to each of the others. “It is a complete version that we retrieved”

They accept it happily. Thinking this is such an honor to play a music that one of the history. And they are the first one at it.

He looked at her and give her a thick file. “This is a drawing of the dance. Sadly, this one is incomplete” hearing that all eyes on him.

“It is not because of time taking the toll. But from our reading, the no one except the woman who know the dance. And the prince who draw it just based on his memory. From his memory, the woman never complete the dance. So the record stopped”

“Then how about this music score?” asked one of them. He heard that it is complete but quite doubt it.

“The music score is complete. On the last performance, the woman give the music score to a few other to play during her dance performance. Thus from the record, the prince say he obtain it from the performer” There a sigh of relief.

“What happen to the woman that he can’t ask her to draw it till the end?” asked her and with eyes on her, he answer. “Killed. With an arrow on her heart. In the middle of the stage as she still performing”

This is huge shock to all of them. One of them asked “Then, is this performance cursed?”

“That we don’t know. No one ever performed this before. Do all of you want to know the reason of it?” he asked and there a sight of people nodding.

“One day before the performance, the prince meet with the emperor. He stated that he wish to make the woman his princess. This enrage the emperor as the woman is mere courtesan and not from noble background. Seeing the prince head over heels on her, the emperor decide to kill her”

“Don’t the prince become devastated?” asked her and he nod at it. “Definitely. This lead to the reason why the prince never being mentioned in the historical record after this. From the record we found in this tomb, he is gone to search for another way to meet her and atone his sin”

“His sin?”

“The sin of love…” saying that she can see his eyes that changed. There something unreadable on his eyes. It is like he is the prince. She shake off that thinking since it is no way the he is.

“All of you can go back and practice. Tomorrow around 8 PM, we will meet again for group practice” he inform them all and added. “Kang Seulgi, please wait for a while. We need measurement for your dance costume”

She waited until all the other leaving and he led her to another room. In there, there are a few people in middle of cutting cloth while some sewing. “They in middle of making costume for the others”

Coming close to one of them, he talk for a while before both of them approach her. “She is the main attraction?” asked Taeil.

“Yeah. You know what you need to do”

He, Taeil signal toward one girl and tell her to takes the measurement. As waiting both of them talked with each other. “So, you want the same exact one as found?”

“Yes. If that possible in this short time”

“Quite doable. But the original is too gloomy. Can I make some change on it?”

“As long as it still retain the resemblance. I don’t mind”

Her measurement is taken and the others back to work. They need it in four days thus it is a hard time to catch up. Looking at her, he says “Let’s leave them alone. I will lead you out”

She nods but as the two of them leave the room, she ask “Can I see the thing that you  guys got from the tomb?”

“Why is that?” he asked back looking at her. Their eyes catch and he looked away.

“The last part of the dance. From the incomplete set, I think I need to fill it. But it is hard for me to do that as I also need to makes sure it in line with the real one”

“So…”

“I need some inspiration” she says but inside it is all lies as she want to know more about that woman. And the reason why she keep appearing in her dream. She need something to close it.

Thinking for a while and he nod. “Okay. Follow me. You can see but don’t touch anything. All of it is cultural asset. Some in good shape and some in bad shape”

Smile can be seen in her and happily she says “Thanks!”

 

They enter the closed corner that closed for the exhibition. “This is where most of it located. Some is kept and only out on the exhibition day”

She start to looks around from the instrument to the text and also the costume and accessories. He also explain one by one all the thing displayed. When they arrive in front of the journal, she can only read the page displayed.

“Can I ask something?” she looks at him and he answer with “Yes”

“There no remain of the prince. Isn’t this come from his tomb?” she ask this crucial question. In most tomb, they will found the remains of the owner of it. However, there no real remains or even a picture of it.

“There none of it. The tomb, rather than saying it to bury the prince, it more into to keep the thing of her”

“Then it is sad. He keep all of her stuff in his tomb. But he can’t be in it…” she stopped and asked him “How about the woman remains?”

“Not in the tomb. Upon death, the emperor makes sure that the prince never get even her remain. From the journal, he search for her remain. And after searching and probing, it written that her remain is thrown into the wilderness”

She sigh and express her thought. “I feel sad for her. She supposed to have a great future ahead of her. But his love turn her into nothing”

“Yes. That I agree…” he says this. As she looks at him somehow she see resemblance. It makes her rubs her eyes for a few times.

She get back and start her practice. When she done, she go back home, wash up and sleep. This is the first time in a while that she can sleep peacefully. She didn’t dream that same dream again.

 

The next day they meet again over join practice for the first time. Their coordination at first is all over the place. But by time, it perfected.

Their practice continue for 3 hour per day until the planned day. Everyone can be seen busy. This day they need to perform in front of a professional and there also idol and producer being invited.

She already dressed and they in middle of setting her hair before her makeup. There a soft knock on the door and it opened. She see him entering the room.

“Are you ready? The show will start in 30 minutes. Your turn will be the last one. And count from now, it will be in around 2 hours before your performance” he inform her the schedule. Not like she doesn’t know but to makes her clear.

“Not yet. My hair and makeup still need some time. But will be done in 30 minutes or so” she smiled at him. For these four days, they been meeting for some time. They not that close but they can count to be familiar with each other. It can be said she develop some crush on him. If asked who won’t?

He tall and his body in suit it like perfection. Sometimes he will makes his formal wear looks casual by his shirt and loose tie. This can easily makes girls crazy over him. Added with his perfect feature than can be seen cold but when smile it warm everyone. No one can resist someone as great as him.

“Okay. That’s good. I will check the others too. If you need some calming pill, you can ask me. I carry some for everyone” with this he leave to check on the other performer.

 

Watching the performance using the television on her room makes her nervous. As one by one performance ended, her turn will come. She is called to get ready behind the stage when there two performance ahead of her started.

She took a peak behind the curtain and see the audience lineup. She know most of them that work in line with performance art. And all of them are professional that she wish to be in the future. One of many, she see him seated on the front row.

“I’m totally having a crush on him” she says with her hand on her chest. At first her heartbeat already calmed down. But after seeing him, it makes her nervous to perform.

“Calm down, Seulgi. Not like you haven’t performed in front of people before. And not like he didn’t see you dancing before. He see it every day in this four days. Just another day won’t matter” She starts breathing technique to calm her nervous heart.

Inhale, exhale and back inhale. She continue this on repeat until her name being called to get ready. Right ahead when the performance ended, she cued to enter the stage.

Different than in her dream, this performance of her is done under the light of the sun. There won’t be fireflies but the montage or the video accompany her give the boost of that illusion.

She closed her eyes in middle of the stage and when she open it, she start dancing. The music start to accompany her when it is the time. She show her smooth dance that she been dreaming every time she sleeping and also from the practice she got.

While dancing, her eyes catch his eyes. She can see there a lot of meaning on his eyes and makes her nervous. The thing that makes it worst is the incoming part that didn’t exist in the script. Those part are her creation and in front of many, she feel small.

Suddenly she see a lone firefly and she heard “Let me take it from here” Then her consciousness slowly faded.

 

He been waiting for this day. He been waiting for her to show her skill on the stage. Correcting his posture he watch her start her performance. “It’s been a long time that I actually lost count of how long it is”

She looked the same as that time. She wearing the near exactly same costume with the same hairstyle. The accessories that she wear also the exact replica. And what important is the jade ring on her finger. It is the real deal that he kept with him and not history.

His eyes never left her and when his eyes catch her, he feel the longing suddenly blow from within. Without minding of season and the right habitat, he can see a lone firefly close to her. “Firefly?” he question himself. This is also when he notice the change of the glow in her eyes.

He becomes excited “Did you come back?”

He watch the dance unfold and approaching the critical part. When it arrived he confirmed his thought. “She back…” he says.

The dance that she show is different from her rehearsal. The musician shocked at the change in choreography but they keep the flow from the song. The different routine that being performed is perfectly in line with the choreography that he retrieve.

“At last I’m able to watch the end of this performance” he says with a smile as soon as the performance ended. His eyes stayed on her that still laying on the stage with people clapping.

She didn’t move even with many eyes on her. Of course this alert a lot of people when they notice it. People start to worry and he of course the same. Worried he run toward her on the stage with the thought of “No. This can’t happen. Even though this is the fifth day, but you’re back. You’re supposed to stay”

 

She woke up and looks around. The place is stranger to her and makes her looks around. There she see someone with the same look as her and wearing the same outfit as her. The different between the two are slight that can easily ignored.

“I’m sorry” the other says and the light on her eyes conveyed the sorry she felt.

“Why?” is the only thing that she can ask. She doesn’t know why that apology directed to her.

The other doesn’t answer but ask her “You like him?” She looked on the right side and the sight of someone approaching ‘them’ can be seen.

“I don’t know. Maybe” she answer then asked “Who are you? What is the dream that I’ve been dreaming?”

Smiling she answer “I am you but in the same time I am not you” Then a few ‘people’ manifested that looked the same as the two just different is the clothing and hairstyle. “They are me and you but in the same time not too”

“I don’t understand…”

“The concept of reincarnation or rebirth. The thing you experience in your dream is my life. My five days life before I died” she says and start explaining. “I can be seen as the start of this pandemonium of the curse that being triggered. The curse that triggered by him, the Ninth Prince. While them and you become the acceptance because of it”

“I’m cursed? What kind of curse? Does this mean I will die in five days?” something hitting her, thinking that her life will end.

“No. For you, the five days already ended. Today is the last day of your five days” this crash her mind. “I’m… I’m going to die? How? Why did this happen to me?”

“Because you meet him the Ninth Prince, Lee Taeyong. Because all of us meet him” she says and the sight of him now by her side. The two can see he try to wake her body up. But there no sign of it.

Looking at it, “I’m… I’m dying?”

“You won’t. I want to end this ill-fated tragedy. This curse should end on your life” her eyes looked at the ring on the finger. “Before I can’t. My consciousness is there. My will is there. But I’m not perfect. Half of me is in the ring. When he give it to you, I become me”

She looked at her finger. She remember right after he left he come back just a few second after he left the door.

“Is there anything?” she asked him since he back just after left.

“Give me your hand” he says and without much thought she bring her hand up. His hand slide into his pocket to bring something out. When it out, she can see the glow of jade that later meet her finger.

“The woman supposed to wear jade ring when she performing. I forgot to give it before with the other accessories” he says calm but there a slight nervous in his eyes.

“Oh” is what she can respond with her eyes on the jade ring. In her mind she says “This is pretty” She usually wear ring from silver but never one wear anything made from jade. Thus this accessories intrigue her.

“Keep it. Even after performance you can keep this particular ring” he says and she nodded. She already attached into it.

“This ring…” she touch it and then looked at her that not her. “Then does this mean I won’t die?”

She looked at the sight of their body being carried by him toward the backstage. There a few people who follow but keep some distance away. They called medic along the way and she now on the sofa in one of the room.

The medic check her but later comes out with there are nothing wrong with her at all. All that they can say is she need some rest. People start to leave the room when he says to leave her to rest. This makes the two of them left in the room.

He cares her cheek and says “Wake up. Please…”

She looked at her asking “Do you like him? The Ninth Prince, Lee Taeyong. The one who curse us?”

She didn’t answer it. It is a hard question. But the other understanding “I know. It just five days. Just like when I meet him. But your five days is full while my five days is empty”

There share a silence time and then she, the old one says “I know it…” with a snap of her finger, she, the present closed her eyes.

 

Her eyes opened gained delight from him that he hugged her. “I thought you won’t woke up” he says with full of feel.

“Who do you actually wish to wake up?” when he heard this, he flinch.

He release her and looked at her eyes. “Who… Who are you?”

“Like I ask, who do you actually wish to wake up? The present me or the past me?”

He didn’t answer her question thus makes her says “You been living an immortal life in search for the past me. But did you ever know that the ‘me’ that you meet all this time is no longer the past ‘me’? None of us is the same person even though we’re the same person”

“I…” he stayed silence but she follow along. She know he need time to digest everything. After a while there a sigh from him as he says “I know. All of you are different. But I’m already too deep into this to back away. To acknowledge that each of you are different and won’t be the first one I met. To acknowledge that no matter what I do everything already happen and I can’t change it. In fact I don’t even know the first you that well. What I know is when you’re on the stage; performing”

“Then you’re hanging to the idea being with me no matter who I am?”

“There a time I am and there a time I’m not. I… I also fall into you that not you I met before. However, like firefly, no matter the same each and every one looked, it is still different. Like human, there always people who looks like each other but they are different. Like reincarnation no matter what, memory always buried. Only I stayed the same. There a time I resent my immortality that I search so I can be with you. I also resent how fickle I am falling into the different you”

“How about now? How about me? When you lead me to you did you like me? Did you see me as me and not the past me?”

“I did” there tears fall on his cheek as his eyes on her. She hold his face to keep his eyes on herself. “I’m sorry” he says.

“Then forget me” she says and he show confuse expression. “Forget me from the past and love her that from present. I supposed to disappear on that day but I stayed. Thru all reincarnation I see you and waited for you to change. To acknowledge that you don’t actually love me. Your fate not with me from that past but with me in this present time”

“You’re her…” he says and she nodded.

“Ninth Prince, goodbye and please treasure me in this present” she says and comes close to give him a kiss. “The present me love you while the past me, I am didn’t. There also one thing that I began to know. That firefly actually didn’t live for just five days. They live up to two till four weeks in search for partner. So, in this duration, cultivate your love and makes her fall in love with you, deeply”

He see her close her eyes and a while later open up. The opened eyes carry different light in it. “What? What happen? She gone” she says.

He hugged the new her, the present her while saying “Nothing happen. She left because she need to and you stay because you need to. Because I need you”

He release her who in confusion and think “From now on, I don’t care if this is firefly’s love, butterfly’s love, human’s love or immortal’s love. I just wish to be with you…”

 

Note: How the story? Provide some comment for improvement.