Final

Bloom

We met each other in an auction held somewhere in one of the rooms in a tall building, where wealthy people gathered. It was of course hidden away from the eyes of the public, to prevent gossip to be spread so easily to the lower levels of the society. 

 

I was standing on the stage, from a totally different purpose compared to you. 

 

You were a world-class idol, always earning big bucks with every performance you hold in the countries your feet have touched. 

 

How wonderful it is if I were to take your place, but reality hits hard. 

 

I’m here on stage, to sell my body. More specifically, to pay my school fees for my last university year. 

 

My father’s company went bankrupt a few months ago, but it didn’t help when there were many loansharks behind him to ask for more interests than he actually owned. My mum, unable to bear the monetary burden, left just me and my dad last week. To make ends meet, I’ve been working part-time jobs for the past few months to help with my family’s economic crisis. 

 

It didn’t help at all. 

 

Throwing my dignity away 3 days ago, I made the decision to put my body up for any lust-filled men out there. As long as it could help fund my family well, I’m willing to go through whatever’s in the way. 

 

Counting down to the last ten seconds, my highest bidder belonged to a man who could be as old as my dad. 

 

“3.. 2..”

 

The last mini-second when the hammer hits the table, a young woman’s voice was heard. 

 

“I’ll take her.” My eyes widened at the price written on the small whiteboard that she held up so highly in the air.

 

“Hmmph.. She’s not worth that much.” The previous bidder scowled at the number and left the venue, alongside everyone else when my auction ended. 

 

“Here, some clothes for you. To prevent them from staring at you too much.” The lady spoke and tossed me a warm fur coat. 

 

Grabbing the clothing tightly, I nodded and quietly put them on without questions. After all, she did buy me for a wholesome $2 million. 

 

---

 

A few weeks passed and I managed to have myself a nice place to stay. It goes without question that I’m staying at her home. But for the past few days, our interaction with each other has been minimal. 

 

Perhaps I’ve dug in too much into her status. I shouldn’t have asked her those questions that night. 

 

Tucking into my bed after finishing a tall stack of schoolwork in the early morning, my drowsy eyes are begging for a break. But something in my head refused the request. Staring upward into the dark, my mind thought of what could’ve happened to me in other ways. 

 

Would I have been kicked out of my own home, or maybe got myself involved in drugs, or even being the illegitimate mother from a fling.. Who would’ve thought?

 

Toxic memories begin eating away my still existent brain-cells when I feel a tug of my bedsheets on my right. Laying still to not provoke the probably tired lady, I held my breath. It didn’t take long for her to slip her limbs under my shirt in such a comfortable manner. 

 

“Are you okay? Still having those nightmares?” Her words seemed to carry a wisp of air, tickling the already tense nerves in my burning ears. 

 

“Oh.. So that’s what it is.” I was afraid of falling asleep once more, afraid that I would be once again trapped in the seemingly endless tunnel of despair the moment my consciousness went away. 

 

A few minutes passed and snores could be heard. It certainly didn’t belong to mine, as my breath still hitched everytime our skin touched. 

 

2 million bucks is worth more than my education fees and probably even my future house as well. So what made her put more than her life insurance money on me, a stray lost in the streets of men? 

 

Sighing, it’s time for my brain to give in to the demands of my eyes, and my vision gradually blurred every passing second. It wasn’t long till I got knocked out. 

 

---

 

Second semester was finally over. It’s finally time to start working on my thesis. 

 

One dinner night when I had notes sprawled onto the dining table, I asked her another burning question. 

 

“Why did you buy me in that auction? There were lots of prettier women behind me, if you’re into the same , that is.” I kept my notes aside as I stared intently into her eyes. 

 

“Well, you look a little too young to be on stage, at least of that kind, I suppose.” She chewed the tomatoes silently while poking around her salad platter. 

 

“You knew who I was from the beginning.. right?” 

 

The question made both of us pause on whatever we were doing at that point in time. 

 

She finally relents when the conversation came to this, and she looked up and at me. 

 

“Currently 4th-year in Business Management at BBB University who used to receive numerous awards in the past years for excellent grades and conduct. One of the school campus leaders until her resignation in the 3rd year due to family circumstances..” The lady goes off with a list that even I was amazed by how much she knows of me. She probably did her research before buying women, I guess. 

 

“None other than XX.” 

 

This woman sitting across the table in front of me is amazing. 

 

---

 

Our one-year contract has ended. It wasn’t short, but neither was it long as well. There were some moments, and some are indeed quite memorable. 

 

Biting into that one last meal together in that fancy apartment, my eyes took in everything that’s beautiful before I leave this place for good. 

 

“If it’s not too much to ask, would you mind working as my personal manager?” The idol spoke up with her final request.

 

“Just treat it as a way of paying back for the one year which I spent on you, besides.. I could use a new translator when I’m out for work.” She gave off her signature smile, one that had all the fanboys and girls alike to fall for her. 

 

Thinking deeply about the offer, I thought back to the monetary needs to fund every transport fee when her voice cuts the air. 

 

“Don’t worry about the money, just protect me when I’m out in public.” Her hand reached out warmly to my still shaky hands.  

 

“..Okay.”  

 

The smallest smile crept up onto my face. This is probably the first time I smiled so genuinely between just the two of us alone in this apartment. 

 

As I looked at her with fondness, something deep in my chest bloomed.