Chapter 1

The Present

As strange as it may seem, it wasn't too often for one to spot someone dressed in full black entering an entertainment company. To add, this someone had his/her cap and hood still on even far indoors.

He eyed the person before him strangely. She didn’t have a staff pass with her, and donned a highly suspicious outfit - black hood over a cap, a black backpack perhaps large enough to contain a large professional camera and he immediately thought that she should not be here. 

You glanced up from your phone slightly when you felt a figure blocking your view, and moved to the right to continue your way. But the figure before you moved along with you. You shifted left this time, and he followed yet again.  

You could not help but to let out a deep sigh breath before the figure confronted you. ‘Excuse me- Outsiders are not allowed in here.’ 

‘I’m a staff.’ Your voice came out in a half-whisper unconsciously, hoping real hard that he wouldn't question you any further. You were already jittery enough in the unknown environment, semi-dreading meeting a certain person, and did not need any additional concern in your hands. 

‘I don’t see your staff card.’ Whoever he is, he sure is persistent- 

‘I don’t have one yet.’ 

Wanting to identify who the intruder was, he lifted your cap slightly, but was taken aback when his hand got smacked away before he managed to get a good look of you. 

The moment you felt your cap being adjusted by the stranger and your hair shifting beneath it, your hand acted on impulse. Yet, not sparing yourself time to address the situation any further, your phone started ringing. 

‘Oppa!’ And he immediately noticed the change in your tone, and volume, as you directed your attention away from him. ‘I’m here already! I lost my way and some strange guy was holding me back.’ You answered, not sparing the said male another glance as you quickly made your way past the obstacle. 

Is she meeting her boyfriend here or something?

Contemplating for a moment to follow you to perhaps get a good scoop, he was interrupted, ‘Yah! We’re needed back.’ 

And what strange guy? Was she actually referring to me? 

 

 

 

As per usual, the boys were gathered around their leader before the day's practice commences. But today's briefing had a slightly different agenda compared to usual. 

'Before we start, Dowoon has some urgent matters to attend to so the band has gotten a substitute for the next few weeks of practices. Hopefully he'll be back for the last few practices but don't worry, he'll make it for the final.' Hyunwoo started, gesturing to the back of the room where the band would be playing the instrumentals from. Both groups have been preparing a collaboration stage for a for an upcoming festival. 

'But the BPM- Are you sure the sub can keep up?' Kihyun voiced out his worry, Dowoon has been doing an amazing job given how the instrumental arrangements had been made to accommodate to their performance, which means an extremely fast BPM to work with. 

'According to them, we'll barely notice the change. I guess that means he's as good at his job. Hopefully we wouldn't have to mind him.'

'Then that should be fine right?' 

'It'll work out.' Before Hoseok could answer more to Hyungwon's question, they were interrupted by the noise coming from the corridor. And mere seconds later, their curiosity was responded with confusion. 

‘Hyunwoo hyung, I thought you said ‘he’.’ Minhyuk promptly asked, all eyes firmly on the new drummer as the band waved a greeting to them. 

'That's definitely not a 'he'.' Jooheon chimed in, to which Hyunwoo shrugged, at the same time shooing the boys to scatter. 

‘I just assumed that it would be a guy. Get into your places, practice's starting.'

With that, the boys were silenced and stowed their confusion away for later. 

 

 

 

'Park Haeun!'

You were stopped in your tracks as YoungK's voice rang through the room, you frozen in place with your sticks in your hand as you were about to make a beeline for the exit. You had one and only one goal in your mind once practice ended, which was to escape as soon as possible and to make least contact with the company in the room. Please don't call me over. Please- 'Come over here and introduce yourself!' And in that very moment, your grip tightened.

You did not have to look up to know that all eyes were on you. Your legs were screaming for you to continue with your evacuation route, however, all you could do was to comply and edge closer to where the guys have gathered. 

'I'm Park Haeun.' You bowed, keeping your eyes away from their faces. 'I apologize for the late introduction. It's nice to meet all of you. I'll work doubly hard not to trouble any of you.' 

Your heels were already at work as soon as you were done rambling, before you got un-courteously held back by the hood of your jacket, and was turned back once again to face the seven males aside the band. 'She'll be subbing for Dowoon, he had some matters to attend to. Pardon her, she doesn't do well with strangers.' 

You made a mental note to get back at Jae later as you tried to shimmy out of his grip, only to have him smiling cheekily back at you, knowing well how much you hated the attention. 

'How about we go grab dinner together!' The preparation of your new escape route was hastily disrupted when someone's cheerful voice snapped you back into reality. I'm sure they probably mean within themsel- 'To celebrate our new addition!' Help. 

'Sounds like a good idea to me!' Jooheon piped, looking over at Hyunwoo who glanced at Sungjin. 

Nonono oppa you know I don't- You tried real hard to send your message mentally to him, but he refused to look at you, knowing the guilt he'll be struck with if he did, especially seeing what he was about to do. 'Sure, we'll pack up real quick, meet you at the lobby when we're done?'

Great. Even Sungjin oppa betrayed me. I'm pretty sure 'socializing' was not in the job scope. I only agreed to help out with Dowoon oppa's parts! 

While he watched you heading to tidy up the space, he could not help but to notice the slump in your shoulders, on top of how he saw your eyes staring worriedly at Sungjin just moments ago. 

 

 

 

'Lee Minhyuk, don't try anything funny. We just met her.' Kihyun warned as he saw the former practically bouncing in excitement. 

‘I like her already.' Changkyun's head snapped up when he heard that comment, startled, before getting a grip of himself. 'It’s my mission to make her feel comfortable with us.’ 

‘And who gave you that mission?’ 

‘Me.’ Minhyuk chirped again in response to Hoseok, only to get a low sigh from their leader. 

'Don't make her uncomfortable. Jaehyung said that she doesn't do well with strangers.' 

 

 

 

And of course that was not enough to put out the excitement bubbling in the mood-maker. 

'The special guest will sit here~' Minhyuk's hands were on your shoulder as he steered you towards an empty seat in the middle of the long table, earning himself some looks from multiple people at the same table, an amused one from the band, and a disapproving one from s. 'And I will sit here~ YAH-'

'Did you already forget what Hyunwoo hyung said?' Minhyuk got shoved shifted to the right rudely while Kihyun sandwiched himself between the both of you, taking the seat next to yours which the former was aiming for. 

That, you were thankful for, since you now had a boulder between you and the ever enthusiastic Minhyuk. But before you could even be relieved, another problem appeared when you took in the person who took the seat opposite of yours. 

'Wouldn't Changkyun taking that seat make her feel even more uncomfortable?' Minhyuk whined, to which fell on deaf ears as everyone filed into their seats. Fortunately for you, Sungjin took the seat to your left, knowing that you need at least an anchor near you, and he had already done enough with making you eat with them. Meanwhile, the rest of the band were scattered across the table, happily engaging in conversations with people you've just met for the first time. Even Wonpil who didn't participate in this conspiracy was now having the time of his life, not sparing a thought about your discomfort. 

You were immensely grateful when Kihyun kept quiet the entire time, Finally, someone who actually paid attention when Jaehyung oppa was talking, you thought to yourself, not knowing that he was the same person that you shunned earlier that day in the lobby. 

'You alright?' Sungjin whispered to you, to which you nodded as you shoved yet another spoonful of rice into your mouth, not removing your eyes from the bowl in front of you for the entire meal and relying on the elder to place side dishes on your rice. 

'I've had better days.' You whispered back. Honestly, your neck was starting to hurt, but you refused to lift it up. Yet, the chatter was starting to pile up your guilt. You never knew how to interact with people you've just met- much less high-profile people. And you were starting to feel sorry imagining how Minhyuk would have felt at your evident suffering after planting you in this situation, and how everyone there would have felt. 

With an unconsciously loud sigh, you pulled yourself together, determined to not ruin the mood any further. 

Kihyun was startled slightly at the sound coming from you after minutes of silence, only to catch a small 'You can do this.' following your outburst sigh. 

Following that, the rest of the meal went on pleasantly, the mood slightly brighter now that you don't look like you were in sorrow. Also, amazing your own self, you actually initiated some conversations, asking them what they were up to, and getting to know them better bit by bit. However, all that was on your mind was you questioning yourself if you made it obvious. If you kept silent- nothing would have been suspicious. But now that you tried your very best to talk to them- you were hoping that you didn't sound out of sorts whenever you looked at the person seated directly opposite you. Perhaps you were just being paranoid, it has been a bad habit of yours to perpetually be worried whenever you were talking to people face to face, even at this age you could not make proper eye-contact with people. 

It's okay, you'll never have to talk to him one-on-one. Just keep calm, stop overthinking, he probably wouldn't have noticed a single thing. Was what kept you going through the rest of the meal. Yet, you may have jinxed it with this very thought. 

 

If only the meal never ended, you wouldn't be in this situation right now. 

 

Kihyun wanted to apologize for his mistake earlier on, it was rude of him to touch your cap back then despite his suspicions, and wanted to hopefully catch you alone else he would have to explain himself to the rest which he would rather not. While everyone else was occupied, he made his way out of the restaurant a while after you, only to stop by the door when he saw that someone else has beaten him to you. Changkyun knows her? 

 


 

[A/N] Here's the first chapter! If you managed to get this far, really thank you so much for giving this a chance! 

Hope that you'll stick around if this is to your liking :)

Also do comment and subscribe! Will love to hear what you think about this ^^

Thank you for your time!