fin.

Late Night Study
Please log in to read the full chapter

The clock pointed somewhere around two in the morning. The dorm room was quiet—it should be, and the lights are turned off except for Mina’s reading lamp. She shared room with two other girls, Chaeyoung and Sana who were deep in their sleep since four to five hours ago, so Mina tried her best to not make any noise.

She slightly fixed her glasses, taking deep breathe, and reading the question once again. She has exam tomorrow and she’s aware that it’s going to be hard. Heck, Mina has the hardest time in this class.

Sighing, she put her pen away and closed her eyes. She just can’t get the question right. Even though she got it right, it’s always because she had sneak peek on the solutions manual. Well, the hardest thing is always starting right?

Why am I even here? She thought. She gazed dreamingly to the ceiling. At time like this, she couldn’t help but remember things from years ago.

First time she stepped into the classroom, the first time she took a good look on her classmates, she knew already. She knew that they’re good; best of the best. Others might see Mina as one of them, but really. It was just pure luck that she got accepted into engineering program in her current university.

Sure, she’s smart—Mina knows well she’s above average—but that’s that. She scored better than her other schoolmates and somehow got an invitation to enroll in S university, engineering program, without taking any entrance exam.

Actually, she did sign up for that entrance exam. The invitation announcement came out after she signed up for her college entrance exam. But the program she wished to apply was no engineering. She wanted to study either psychology or international relations.

She’s grateful, yes. Though, after her first step into the classroom, she just knew that she didn’t belong there. Everyone is so passionate. She could see through her friends; that they want to make this world a better one—through engineering. Mina wanted that as well, wanted a better world, but no. Not by calculating how much force should be applied to stabilize structure, Not by searching for optimum point by differentials, Not by engineering.

If I were braver that day, things would be so much different. She whispered to herself. Mina referred to the day she chose the program for college invitation application. She was certain to pick psychology program—but she chickened out.

“You’re aware that this university—doesn’t really go around and invite students, right?” Her teacher said back then while assessing Mina’s application. Mina was aware that her teacher wanted Mina to choose something else. Mina was one of their best students; and—by stereotype—this best of the best either goes to medical or engineering. Though, it’s also a fact that Mina’s choice of university don’t really accept a lot through invitation so the competition would be harsh; it’s way easier to get in through college entrance exam.

“With your score, it is better if you choose S university,” Her teacher spoke, paused awhile before continue. “I see that you’re not into physics and chemistry so much even though you’re good at it. S university has industrial engineering program and it might suits you. Talk to your parent about it tonight and tell me your final choice tomorrow, okay?”

Mina bit her lower lip slightly. Psychology was her final choice. But it seemed like it didn’t please him, so Mina let out an almost inaudible, “Okay…”

Later that night, Mina knocked her parent’s room and retell what her teacher told her. To Mina’s surprise—or maybe she’s not su

Please log in to read the full chapter