Summer Vacation

The Glass Wall

The radio blasts a song with a low bass and a catchy steel drum. Jinsoul nods her head to the rhythm. Her legs grew numb one hour into the drive. Two redheads with bangs flank Jinsoul in the backseat. The one tucked under her left arm overpowers the artist on the speaker. The one on her right snuggles deeper into a neck pillow. The girl sitting shotgun has been nagging for ten minutes.

“Haseul, what is this stain? It’s been here so long, it’s growing fuzz!” She leans closer to inspect the brown splotch on the dashboard, then curls into herself out of disgust.

“I think that’s the Vegemite smoothie Vivi dared me to drink. From the day you went blonde, cut across the campus parking lot, and made my heart stop. So eight months ago.” Jinsoul’s smirk mirrors the driver’s. “Jungeun, look! It’s the ocean!”

Jungeun’s red ears are long forgotten when the water comes into view. It’s sparkling and deep and expands so far, it makes Jinsoul want to explore its secrets miles under the currents.

There’s a squeak, then a low whisper. “Wow… It’s beautiful.”

She speaks slowly, entranced by the rolling waves. Jinsoul watches her girlfriend in silence, taking in how the sunlight makes her hair glint like fire.

“Isn’t it?”

Their eyes finally meet and the words tumble out of Jinsoul’s lips. “Not nearly as beautiful as you, Jiwoo.”

The way the girl’s eyes turn into crescents makes Jinsoul’s heart swell. Her cheeks hurt from smiling and she doesn’t think there’s a better feeling than this.

“Sharp turn!” Haseul announces.

Jungeun squawks when she clicks the camera and knows it’ll come out blurred. There’s a loud thump against the window frame before Vivi sits up and rubs her head. Jinsoul lets Jiwoo collapse into her side and presses a gentle kiss to her forehead.

“It’s a great angle. Very avant-garde.” Haseul at lying. Then again, she isn’t trying very hard.

Jungeun grumbles about the wasted film. Haseul plucks it out of her hand and wedges it behind the air freshener clipped to the vents, marveling at it like it’s a golden plaque. Jungeun protests by slapping her half-heartedly. Haseul fights back as best as she can with one hand on the wheel. Jungeun almost snatches the Polaroid, but Haseul catches her wrist, eliciting a squeal that runs through the chromatic scale. The whines continue, but Jungeun lets her hand slide down into Haseul’s. Jiwoo scrunches up her nose, and Jinsoul knows Jiwoo’s about to roommate. So Jinsoul gently scratches Jiwoo’s shoulder and leans into her to reach the open window. The wind wicks the excess warmth from her skin. Jiwoo reaches up too and slides her fingers between Jinsoul’s. Both of them feel it; it’s not close enough.

An erratic triplet of honks catches their attention.

“What the hell are they doing?” Haseul laughs at the car swerving behind them.

“Aww, Heejin,” Vivi coos.

Heejin is the palest Jinsoul’s ever seen her. Both of her hands grip the wheel at ten and two o’clock for dear life. The car drifts into the other lane every time she glances at the back seat in her mirror. Jinsoul’s jaw drops.

“Sweet freedom!” Chaewon cheers, popping out of the sun roof. She dabs just as Heejin rounds the bend on the highway. A dented graduation cap is strapped to her head with a bedazzled Princess Aurora belt.

“Hyunjin!” Jungeun berates as if the girl could hear her.

Hyunjin stares right at them from the passenger seat, cheap round sunglasses perched on her nose, and a -eating grin stretched across her face. She has the audacity to sit cross-legged, feigning meditation and making no effort to help.

The tires screech when Heejin slaps Hyunjin’s thigh and yells at her to get Chaewon back inside. She’s nearly in tears. Jinsoul pities the high school graduate when they finally arrive at Haseul’s family cabin. Heejin stumbles out of the car. She’s shaking and on her knees, worshipping the static ground. Hyunjin carries her inside without a word.

“Come on! Let’s check it out!” Jinsoul turns only to find Jiwoo already at the front steps, bouncing with energy, suitcase and purse by her side.

“You go on ahead! I’ll catch up!” Jinsoul calls back.

She helps Haseul unload the trunk. Vivi initiates an intense battle of rock, paper, scissors. The loser has to carry everything in one go. Haseul, being stubborn and prideful, takes the bait. Jinsoul slips away with her duffle bag before they can drag her in.

She takes a deep breath. There’s a piney scent to the furniture and walls. It’s unfamiliar, yet comfortable and inviting, calming even. Until Chaewon barrels past her and zooms up the stairs, skipping two at a time to call dibs on the bedrooms. Jinsoul takes her time climbing the steps. Her hand glides along the warm sanded railing like a greeting to the house.

She waves at Jungeun who tip-toes down the hall. Peeking into the first room, she spots Heejin on the bottom bunk wheezing into a paper bag. In the small room on the left, Chaewon is soaring through the air between the bed and futon (“The floor is lava!”). The third room seems empty so Jinsoul drops her duffle bag in the corner. Arms wrap around her waist and a warm cheek presses against her shoulder.

“Sorry, stranger, but I’m taken,” says Jinsoul lazily. She can’t keep the smile out of her voice. It earns her a playful bite. She turns to hug Jiwoo and sees a suitcase littered with stickers propped up against the dresser. “You’re not rooming with Jungeun?”

Jiwoo nuzzles her nose just below Jinsoul’s ear. Her words come out muffled. “I, uh, asked if she would mind taking the spare room instead.” She tugs at the hem of Jinsoul’s shirt. A nervous habit.

Jinsoul’s eyes roam around and it’s then she notices the only bed in the room. A blush creeps up her neck. She’s sure Jiwoo can feel her pulse pick up. She doesn’t care. She threads her fingers through Jiwoo’s wavy hair and gives her a quick peck. Except Jiwoo’s always been addictive so she goes in for another. Jiwoo’s hands run over exposed skin and a shiver runs down Jinsoul’s spine. She lets out the smallest of whimpers, feeling Jiwoo smirk into the kiss.

“Ooh la la!” Haseul sniggers as she drags five bags down the hall. “Use protection! Consent is y!”

Vivi flings a flip flop at Haseul’s rear. She shoots the couple a knowing look, one eyebrow raised so high it disappears under her bangs.

Jiwoo can’t look at Jinsoul afterward, but she’s bold enough to nudge her toward the bed. They flop down, hair splayed all over the pillows. Jiwoo cuddles closer, humming into Jinsoul’s neck while tracing the creases on her palm. Giggles burst like delicate bubbles because apparently Jinsoul’s life line is long, yet stops so abruptly. It’s awkwardly blunt by the wrist.

Jinsoul gazes up at the cloud-painted ceiling. It’s going to be a great summer vacation.