See you later

See you later

It was time. 

 

Minghao dreaded this day. He always dreads this day, but this time, he especially didn’t want it to happen. 

 

He knew military enlistment was mandatory, not obligatory. 

 

But he hated it. 

 

Minghao had watched Seungcheol leave, then Jeonghan, then Jisoo. Each time was harder than the last but this departure actually might kill him. 

 

Because Junhui was leaving. 

 

Both of them stayed up to talk about it on countless nights as the time neared. They knew it was going to happen eventually. Junhui and Minghao exchanged their fair share of jokes about it but it didn’t become any easier. 

 

As they lay together one night staring up at the ceiling, Minghao asked Junhui, “Are you afraid?” 

 

“What? Why would I be?” Junhui asked, a bit confused from the question, as it came from the younger, who normally wouldn’t ask these kinds of things. 

 

Minghao didn’t answer. 

 

Junhui started chuckling softly, grabbing Minghao and pulling him closer. “Don’t tell me you’re scared?” 

 

“No, it’s not-...“ Minghao huffed in embarrassment, trying to escape Junhui’s grip half-heartedly. 

 

“You know I’m not going to actually be on the battlefield right? This military enlistment, it’s just training. So if the worst happens, we’ll be ready.” 

 

“But what if? What if something happens? A horrible accident? An unexpected attack?” Minghao’s mind swirls, the worse case scenarios flooding into his brain. 

 

“Hey, look at me.” Junhui gently grabs Minghao’s face, forcing the other to meet his eyes. “I’m not gonna get hurt.” 

 

“But-“ 

 

“Listen to me, there is a 99% chance that any of that stuff will not happen. Seniors from other groups came back safe and sound. I will be okay. You won’t lose me.” 

 

Minghao lets himself be reassured, and they leave it at that. But he can’t help but think how the tables have turned, when Minghao used to be the one comforting Junhui.

 

A week before today, on their last day touring, Seventeen held a concert in Seoul called the “Moon fanmeet,” in tribute to Junhui’s final day with Seventeen for 2 years. 

 

They had a blast singing and dancing their hearts out, interacting warmly with their cheering fans. Towards the end though, the band of 10 members decided to talk and to share some last words before their encore stage. 

 

Woozi, given the title of temporary leader of Seventeen, had asked if anyone wanted to volunteer and say anything to the person they dedicated this concert to. Everyone let him go first, wanting to hear what the gruff but softhearted producer had to say. 

 

Woozi approached Jun, and placed a hand on his shoulder. It was a bit awkward, but endearing nonetheless, evidenced by the cooing of the audience. Woozi scoffed into the microphone, causing Jun to giggle, which in turn made some of the members laugh, which made Woozi laugh. He composed himself though, before looking up at the Chinese. 

 

“Uh,” Woozi started, “To our Moon Junhui. I don’t have a big speech prepared, but I do want you to know that you were always a vital part of the team. Sometimes you tell me that you aren’t noticeable or valid. You are wrong, because you’ve always surprised us time and time again with your talent. You’re always a comforting presence, and you always us happy with your jokes and humor.” 

 

Woozi paused to clear his throat, before continuing. 

 

“Even though you do sometimes get on my nerves, I’m gonna miss you. Please come back safely to us.” 

 

With that, Jihoon and Junhui hugged. The camera panned away from Jihoon on the big screen, but not before everyone could see him wiping away at his eyes. 

 

“Wahhh, that almost made me start crying,” Mingyu commented, sniffling a little. 

 

Seungkwan then gestured to Hoshi. “Go ahead hyung.” 

 

So after Hoshi finished tearfully, Dino wanted to speak. Then Wonwoo, DK, Vernon, Seungkwan, Mingyu.

 

As the speeches went on, Minghao suddenly found the world becoming more and more blurrier. He stared at the ground and shifted his feet, breathing in and out to stop the threat of tears. 

 

Junhui, to his credit, actually didn’t start crying yet. Even though most of the other members were weeping silently, Junhui held his watery eyes and smiled and hugged s tightly and comfortingly. 

 

But then it was Minghao’s turn. And by that time he almost couldn’t focus. 

 

Mingyu approached Minghao after the younger Chinese didn’t respond for a few moments. 

 

“Minghao, do you wanna say something to Junnie hyung?” 

 

Minghao lifted up his head from where he was staring at the stage. 

 

“Y-yeah, just, hold on...” 

 

He inhaled and exhaled shakily, before lifting up his mic to his mouth and facing Junhui. 

 

“Junhui,” Minghao met eyes with the older. “Hyung… I…” 

 

Junhui smiled and nodded, encouraging Minghao. 

 

Minghao bit his lip, composed himself as best as he could, and went. 

 

“F-from the beginning, you were there for me. I was a foreigner in another country, and I was confused and scared, and I missed home. But you were there.” Minghao then chuckled a little. “Granted, our first meeting wasn’t entirely the best example of a good impression,” Junhui gasped dramatically at that, “But having you, with the other members, was like a second home to me. I’ve watched you grow as a person, expanding your talents, and trying new things. We grew apart once we got comfortable, and we’ve had our disagreements, but at the end of the day, we relied on each other, and we made countless memories together.” Minghao tried to reign in his shaky breathing, and looked at Junhui. 

 

“Gē… Wǒ ài nǐ.” 

 

Suddenly reality caught up to him, and it was all too much. Minghao’s voice broke at the end, and he burst into tears in front of s, in front of thousands of people. 

 

Arms wrapped around him immediately as he bent toward the ground in an attempt to suppress his cries. His head met something, and he knew without looking that it was Junhui. He sobbed into Junhui’s shoulder, who kept a tight embrace around him. From the pressure and wetness on his own right shoulder, he could tell Junhui caved as well. 

 

There was some slight jostling, and then the feeling of multiple hands gently rubbing and the sound of joined weeping and sniffling that were their members surrounding them in a cocoon of family and love. 

 

Minghao wouldn’t have it any either way. 

 

The rest of the concert and remaining days with Junhui passed by as a blur. And now Seventeen was at the airport, seeing their beloved member off. 

 

Minghao lets the rest of the group say their final goodbyes to Junhui. There’s more crying and red eyes and swollen faces involved, and Minghao knows that he probably doesn’t look any better. 

 

Junhui comes up to him, and Minghao takes a second to gaze at the elder for the last time. 

 

Junhui is wearing his military outfit already, with a backpack slung over his shoulders. His head, as per requirement, was shaved, reminding Minghao of young child actor Jun, and that hilarious Avatar meme. 

 

Minghao giggles a little, earning a confused look from Junhui. 

 

“Nothing, nothing. It’s just a little strange with your hair gone.” Minghao assures the older, slightly patting the fuzz. 

 

“Ugh, don’t remind me that my luscious locks are gone. And they’re gonna remain that way until I come back.” Junhui sighs, shaking his head. 

 

There’s a brief silence. Minghao thought that he was all cried out but tears end up welling in his eyes again anyway. 

 

“Hey, hey now,” A hand gently wipes them away. “If you start now I’ll start.” 

 

Minghao hastily rubs at his face. “Sorry, sorry.” As his hands go down, Junhui’s grab them. 

 

They stay like that until they hear the announcement. 

 

“Well, I guess that’s my cue,” Junhui says to the band. All the members hug him again, and Minghao can’t help the tears that roll down his face. 

 

Junhui gives Minghao one last embrace, before holding the younger at an arm's length. 

 

“This isn’t a goodbye situation, it’s a see you later one.” 

 

“I know, but still I-“ 

 

He’s cut off by a press of Junhui’s lips on his. It was very brief, but it left butterflies in his stomach all the same. 

 

Junhui smiles when he pulls away and steps toward his gate. 

 

“Wait for me, won't you?” He calls toward the rest of the members. They chorus back to him, yelling and waving. 

 

Junhui is walking and waving back, getting farther and farther away. 

 

Minghao watches him go, a blush on his face and a hand brushing his mouth. 

 

“Always,” He whispers. 

 

“My ài.”