Chapter 2

Soulmate, Whatever
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinki looked so good it almost made Kibum’s stomach hurt.

"Nervous?" Jinki whispered in his ear, hands grazing his shoulders as he settled it on the back of his seat.

Kibum tried not to shiver at the actor’s touch. "A little," he admitted. "I just feel so . . . small and unimportant"

Someone else arrived at their table and Kibum had to force himself to slow his breathing, distracted as he was by Jinki's lips near his ear.

"Ah, Siwon," Jinki said, rising to his feet. He very carefully touched Kibum's shoulder, a gentle indication that he should stand; normally Kibum would have found such a gesture patronizing, but under these circumstances, he was relieved to have Jinki keeping him to the unspoken social niceties. "So wonderful to see you again."

"Jinki," the other man said kindly, inclining his head in salutation. "It's been a long time."

"Quite," Jinki agreed. "This is Kim Kibum. I've been looking forward to introducing you two since I discovered you'd be attending this dinner."

Jinki really was so effortlessly well-mannered; his social graces were impeccable, and he seemed to have no trace of awkwardness in the slightest, despite what Kibum knew to be his own insecurities about the state of his reputation and career. He was, in short, a natural.

"Kibum, is it?" Siwon repeated, turning to him and gripping his hand respectfully. "A pleasure."

"It certainly is," Kibum said, trying to channel Jinki's enviable finesse. "I've been following your work for quite some time and I have to say, it's an honor to meet you."

"Oh?" Siwon asked, leaning towards Kibum. "What do you - "

"Here," Jinki said, standing. "Kibum, take my seat, will you? I don't want to get in the way." He stood back gallantly, gesturing for Kibum to pass him, and he tried not to think about their proximity as he did. "Better to let the more enviable minds commune."

Kibum found that conversation with Choi Siwon, despite his rather foreboding physical presence,was a kind and nurturing conversationalist; his questions about Kibum’s work were thorough and authentic, and he seemed genuinely engaged in the discussion.

"I can't believe you've let me go on about this for so long," Kibum said after several minutes, realizing he'd been monopolizing conversation. "I'm so sorry, you must be bored to tears."

"Nonsense," Siwon said, waving away his concerns. "You've clearly got a bright future, Kibum. I'm sure one day I will be telling the story of how I met one of the most influential minds of a generation at an innocuous fundraising dinner, when he was only just starting out."

Kibum fought a furious blush. "That's . . . high praise," he managed. He had never been very good at managing compliments.

"I won't lie to you," Siwon said casually, sipping his glass of Bordeaux. "I like to think myself a bit of a kingmaker. Have you ever considered running for public office?"

"I hadn't," he said slowly, mind instantly screaming with excitement. He couldn't wait to tap Jinki on the shoulder and tell him everything Siwon had said - he thinks I should run for office, can you believe it?

"You should, the world needs more people like you involved in governance."

"Oh, I don't know. I don't think my boyfriend would be too thrilled with the idea, to be honest."

He certainly wouldn't. Public appearances were hardly Minho's cup of tea.

"No?" Siwon asked, surprised. "Jinki seems rather politically minded. Certainly philanthropically, at the very least."

"Oh!" Kibum exclaimed, suddenly uncomfortable. "Oh, no. Sorry for the confusion. Jinki is just a friend."

"Ah, well," Siwon said, shrugging. "A pity. You could go a long way, together. Though I'm sure your boyfriend is a very lucky man, in any case."

It seemed there was no end to the vibrancy at which Kibum could blush. "You're very kind," he murmured, in what she considered to be an exceedingly gracious tone.

Siwon frowned. "I'd like to think I'm considerably less kind than I am shrewd," he told him frankly. "My interest in your career is rather self-interested, I must admit. To be perfectly honest, I think I could benefit by keeping a rising professional like you around my work."

"Really?" Kibum asked astounded.

"Yes, in fact, I am looking for someone with a mind like yours to help run one of my more recent projects." He paused, seeming to give it a little more thought. "I think you would be an ideal candidate."

"You think so?" Kibum squeaked, then cleared his throat. "I mean, I'd love to hear more about your work, if you think there's a place for me."

He nodded, seemingly piecing things together in his head. "Yes, I think there is an ideal project for you," he noted. "Or rather, that you would be an ideal fit for the role I have in mind." He pulled out a business card, placing it in front of him. "Send me your curriculum vitae, would you? I'll have my board take a look at it."

Kibum picked up the card, feeling like he was holding the Holy Grail between the tips of his fingers. "Wow," he said, finding it difficult to master articulation. "I - yes, yes, I definitely will."

"Sorry to interrupt," Jinki said regretfully, placing his hand lightly on Kibum’s shoulder. "But it seems we'll have to switch back. Dinner, you know."

"Right," Kibum said, almost relieved. He felt it was imperative that he put some distance between himself and Siwon before he began hyperventilating with elation. "Thank you, Siwon, thank you so much."

"A pleasure," he rumbled, giving him a brief nod. "Get me that CV first thing."

"I will," he said breathlessly, and as he stepped in front of Jinki a second time, he felt him pat him on the back.

"Sounds like that went well," Jinki whispered, leaning towards Kibum. "Is that his business card?"

"Yes, I can't believe it. He thinks there's a job for me."

 

"I knew it. I knew he'd love you."

"Thank you," Kibum managed, his breath catching as he locked eyes with Jinki. "Really, I can't thank you enough."

"I've done nothing," he insisted. "I am just the conduit." He grinned. "However dashing a conduit I may be."

Kibum made a face at Jinki but his response was cut short by the woman who took a seat on his left.

"Jung Yena," the woman said, extending her hand formally. "You are?"

"Kim Kibum," he replied quickly. "And this is Lee Jinki," he added while Jinki politely nodded to the woman.

"Such a pleasure," Yena said musically. "I'm so relieved to be sitting next to you two. You know, these things can be so boring. And you are such a stunning couple."

"Oh," Kibum replied. "Oh no, we're not together."

"Oh?" Yena replied. "Hmm," she said, quickly losing interest.

"Sorry," Kibum said guiltily, turning back to Jinki. "I don't know why everyone thinks that."

He shrugged. "Why would you be sorry?" he asked pointedly. "You should be insulted. Who am I, compared to such a wonderful man like you?"

Kibum shoved Jinki playfully. "Stop," he said, unable to prevent a smile.

The next day, Kibum stayed at the office until well after everyone else had left. It was his own fault, really. He hadn't been able to concentrate on his work, due largely to the vacant buzzing that had overtaken his brain for the first half of the day. He wasn't much of a drinker, and the handful of glasses of wine he'd had with Jinki at the previous night's dinner had really done him in.

He heard his phone buzz and sighed wearily, eyeing the screen.

When will you be home?

Minho.

Don't know. Stuck at work.

 

.

 

He sighed again, louder, close to throwing his phone as it vibrated a third time. Had he not just said -

Oh. He saw Jinki's name and felt a flutter of excitement in his chest.

Are you free this weekend? Jonghyun’s having a party and I thought you and Minho might want to join. Feel free to bring anyone you'd like. Though I should warn you, these things are terrible.

He smiled.

What a ringing endorsement.

 

Ah, you're right. They're not to be missed, I should have said. Or rather, it would be a shame if you missed it.

Was he flirting with him? Surely not.

We can be there, I think. Will it be okay if I bring a couple of friends? I think you'd really like Taemin and Seulgi. I've mentioned them before.

 

The more the merrier, Kibummie.

Kibum felt a strange, inexplicable chill run up his spine at that, though he suppressed it quickly when Jinki sent a follow-up message.

Plans for the evening?

Ugh. Just a date with his computer monitor, it seemed.

Still at work, unfortunately. Had a rough go of it this morning.

 

No! That wouldn't have been my fault, would it?

 

Yes. Look what you've done, you monster.

 

No, no. This won't do. This won't do at all. Where's your office?

He blinked in confusion.

Samseong-Dong. Why?

 

Perfect, I'm in the area. Let me make it up to you.

 

Oh, you don't have to do anything!

 

Nonsense. At least let me feed you.

Jinki arrived perhaps half an hour later, his arms full.

"Hi," he said breathlessly. "I didn't know what you would like - I picked up, um." he looked down. "Fried chicken, a kale salad, and tteokbokki." He looked up. "And a donut."

Kibum gaped at him. "Where did you find all of those things?" he asked.

"Well, let's just agree not to tell anyone that I already have the donut," he said, smirking slightly. "The rest is from the two restaurants down the street."

"I want to insist that you shouldn't have," Kibu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter