Lose You

Lose You

“Dahyunnie! Wake up! Oh my god I’m so nervous! Today’s the day! Dahyunnie! Wake. UP!” With the strength of a ferocious tiger, Chaeyoung lifted the sleeping tofu off her bed and onto the ground, immediately shocking the girl awake. With a groan, Dahyun stood on her knees as she tried to blink the sleep away, a blanket hanging off her head as rubbed her eyes.

“Chaeyoungie?” Dahyun asked as she looked around, not minding that she was picked up and thrown off the floor as if it was a regular occurrence with the two roommates. After a bit of half-hearted looking, the girl found the tiger cub sprawled out on all fours, passed out underneath a heap of blankets. She gave a small, sad smile as she tucked the now passed out girl in, moving her head gently as to not wake her to put a pillow underneath her head, covering her with a blanket.

“Of course I know what today is dummy. But it hurts for me you know.” And with that Dahyun got up and left the room the two shared to get herself ready for the day. Unbeknownst to her, the sleeping tiger cub had an eye open.

 

“Dahyun-ah!” A loud voice to Dahyun’s left greeted her, the girl whipping her head around to see who it was.

“Ah. Jihyo-unnie. How are you?” The slight sadness in Dahyun’s voice worried the goddess but paid it no mind as she hugged the tofu.

“Been better. How about you? And don’t even think about lying.” The goddess finished with a steel-edged tone in her voice, scaring the girl in front of her before she started to cry in the girl’s embrace.

“It hurts Jihyo-unnie. It hurts so much. How’d you deal with it when Sana-unnie asked out Tzuyu?” Dahyun softly whimpered into the girl’s ear, the girl whispering comfort words into her ear, rubbing circles on the pale girl’s back. After giving it some thought, the girl broke the hug to look at the sight in front of her, her heart breaking to see Dahyun’s tear-stained cheeks.

“Drinking. Lots and lots of drinking. But I’m not going to let you go through that. I almost lost myself Dahyun. I almost killed myself, but you and Nayeon helped me go through it. I still love her Dahyun. I still love Tzuyu but she’s happy now so I’m okay with it. Seeing her happy is okay with me, even if it isn’t because of me. So just be happy for them. Who knows, you might find someone else along the way.” Jihyo answered her back, small tears lining her eyes as she looked at the girl fondly.

“I’m happy for them Jihyo. I really am, but I think I’m going to leave. I just don’t think I can handle eventually seeing them together.” Jihyo’s eyes widened at the revelation.

“Wait, what. Why? Where are you gonna go?” Jihyo wondered as she brushed away some of the hair framing the girl’s face.

“I don’t know yet. I think I just want something to distract myself from my heart. I just wanna go on a soul trip of sorts you know. I wanna travel the world. Maybe I might settle down in the States. I have my medical license so I might as well just open my own practice there. If I can’t, I can just find a job playing piano. Don’t worry Ji, I’ll be fine. So stop worrying and wipe those tears alright.” Jihyo nodded as she brought a hand up to wipe away her tears before bringing the girl into another tight hug.

“Let’s go get ready for Chaengie.” Jihyo suggested as she grasped one of the girl’s hands before dragging her to the bathroom, unaware of the Japanese beauty who heard everything from around the corner, a few diamond tears dotting her cheek.

“Dahyun-ah…”

 

“Jihyo-unnie! Do you have the flowers?” Dahyun turned her head away from the car and looked at a dressed up Chaeyoung, who was looking so happy that Dahyun felt guilty for even having the same thoughts her best friend had towards the girl they both liked; Mina. She didn’t want to break their friendship, so she buried her thoughts for the girl. Besides, Chaeyoung had feelings for her for a long time.

“Yeah, I have them in my car. Did Mina leave for her house?” Jihyo asked the girl, sending her a small smile her way.

“Yeah, yeah she did. Dubu! Is the park setup? Did you tell the piano people to bring it there?” Chaeyoung asked her. Dahyun was slightly surprised at the chilly tone of the tiger cub’s voice before answering her.

“Yeah. The lights are almost set-up and I believe Sana, Tzuyu and Momo are finished setting up the rose petals. And the piano company told me that they’re on their way to the park right now. I just got off the phone with them five minutes ago, so I think they’re there now? I’m not too sure but everything is going according to schedule.” Dahyun replied, reading off her mental checklist.

“Good. That’s good. Can you go pick Mina up then? I need to get myself ready.” The girl sent her a small smile.

“Why? You already look really beautiful now Chaengie. You’re fine.”

“I want to smell good Dahyunnie. Besides, I think I’m gonna take another shower.” Chaeyoung replied before taking off inside the house.

“Whatever you say.” Dahyun murmured to herself before she hung her head low and let out a long, slightly audible sigh. Opening the driver’s seat, she turned the key ignition, the car immediately pairing up with her phone and playing a random piano song. A song that she helped arrange. Cursing the unfairness of the world, she stepped on the pedal and took the familiar route to Mina’s house. It was a meeting she was dreading to go too, not wanting to meet the girl whom she fell in love with. A love that she was falling deeper and deeper into.

“I can’t help it. She’s just too good. She’s way too out of my league. I don’t deserve her. Chaeng does. She deserves everything this world gives her.” With her pessimistic thoughts clouding her mind, Dahyun didn’t notice tears starting to run down her cheeks before she pulled up to the all too familiar mansion gates. Letting out a low whistle, it never failed to amaze her how loaded the Myoui’s were, and that she was friends with them.

Mina and she have been friends since the Japanese girl moved to Korea, the girl was so uptight yet shy at the same time. No one could approach her as they were all too scared that she would have killed them. But one day, the tofu was out with her older brother at the zoo for her birthday, when she saw Mina at the penguin exhibits. The girl looked so happy and giddy when she interacted with the penguins that she almost didn’t recognize her at first before she saw the familiar mole on her nose and Dahyun watched her the entire time they were at the zoo, always letting her eyes wander the zoo in hopes of catching a glance of the girl.

The next day, Dahyun brings a small penguin plushy and gifts it to Mina. The girl immediately broke her icy exterior and started jumping up and down holding the small plushy with all her might, squealing at the top of her lungs as she grabbed Dahyun and brought her to the lunchroom and spoon fed her. Only repeating the only Korean word she knew at the moment.

“Friend!”

It was funny, to say the least, seeing the normally icy and cold Japanese squealing as she kept on spoon-feeding a scarlet red tofu whilst tightly holding a small plushy in her small hand. It was an embarrassing day for Dahyun. An embarrassing day indeed.

Dahyun sighed as she remembered that day as if it were yesterday. Ever since, they’ve been inseparable. And Dahyun cursed herself for not asking the girl out sooner.

“Miss Dahyun, you may come in.” A voice from an intercom next to the gate distracted her from her thoughts as she watched the grand iron gates separate from each other, allowing her entry.

“Thank you Mr. Daisuke. Did Mina get home safely?” Dahyun asked as she tried to strike a conversation with the main butler of the mansion.

“What have I said before Miss Dahyun. You can call me Ken. You are pretty much family at this point. No need to sound so formal now.” The butler joked as his face appeared on the small screen above the intercom. “And yes. Mistress Mina arrived back home a few minutes ago and I believe she has just finished her shower.” The aging butler sent the girl a wink along with a knowing smirk as she blushed red, images of when she last saw Mina , especially with a white t-shirt hugging her wet body, showing off her curves.

“Eh, ah, ahem, uhm, just, just tell her im on my way to pick her up will you Mr. Dai- Ken. I’m gonna bring her somewhere special.” Dahyun asked as she let out a small cough to stop herself from stuttering any further. If anything, Ken’s smirk got wider as he gestured her to go ahead with ahead before turning off the screen, leaving it pitch black.

Driving her slightly out-of-place car around the grand fountain that almost every mansion had, she pulled up to the front entrance where two maids greeted her with a bow. Nodding her head at the maids from inside the car, she exited the car and decided to stand next to the door of the still running vehicle, opting to wait for the girl. After a few moments, she heard the grand door opening and waved her hand. The ones who exited the mansion wasn’t Mina, rather her parents instead. Looks like they were going on a date.

‘If only that was us. If only I had the guts to ask her out.’ As Dahyun repeatedly cursed her past self for not doing what she should’ve done, she didn’t notice the smiling couple walking in her direction, only being taken out of her thoughts by a firm hand that grasped her shoulder.

“Hello Dahyun. Are you here for Mina?” A deep yet caring voice reached her ears as she looked up from her shoes to the smiling couple.

“Ah yes Mr. and Mrs. Myoui. Is sh- “She was stopped by the flawless hand that belonged to Mina’s mom, a caring smiled gracing her features.

“What did we all say Dahyun. I’m sure Ken told you as well. Call us Sachiko and Akira. And I’m pretty sure he told you that you’re practically family. We’ve known you for so long.” Dahyun started to slightly cry at her words before she brought them into a hug, surprising the both of them before they warmly smiled and returned the hug. Dahyun pulled away from the hug and wished them a good date before watching their retreating forms going to the garage, not aware of the figure behind her.

Dahyun waved the two away before she felt a slap on her shoulder and turned around in surprise and shock, letting out a small scream. What greeted her was a beautiful sight of Mina laughing at her, tightly clutching her sides in laughter. Dahyun slightly blushed at the sheer beauty of the girl, with her wet hair giving her an ethereal look, a white t-shirt hugging her curves with a black leather jacket that Dahyun gifted her for Christmas. She had on denim shorts that helped accentuate her milky white thighs, making Dahyun suddenly feel hotter. Looking up at the girl’s face, she was greeted by warm brown orbs that seemed to pierce her very soul, the owner of the eyes sending her a warm gummy smile.

“Y-Yah! Why’d you do that!” Dahyun pouted as she blushed in embarrassment, her facing getting even redder as Mina cupped her face with one hand and answered her back.

“Because I wanted too. Now where are you taking me.” Damn those eyes Dahyun cursed whatever being was out there as she saw Mina playfully tilt her head to the side, showing her confusion of where they were going to go. Dahyun sighed before taking off the hand away from her cheek, trying to distance herself from the girl as much as she could in the next few hours to make herself hurt less. She didn’t notice the look of hurt on Mina’s eyes as she removed her hand.

“It’s a secret.” And with that, Dahyun turned to the other side of the car and opened a door for the girl like a true gentlewoman. Mina let out a small giggle as she appreciated the gesture before playing along and bowed to the girl before getting in. Dahyun quickly wrapped around to the driver’s seat after closing the door and entered. What followed next would be one of the slowest car rides she’s ever experienced, an awkward atmosphere settling in the car.

“Dahyun-ah where are we going?” Mina pouted as she poked the girl in the cheek, repeating this more and more as she puffed her cheeks in frustration before crossing her arms and looked out the side window with fake anger. But this elicited no response as the girl kept driving, immersing herself in the piano music playing from the car’s speakers. Mina was very familiar to this piece. She would always dance it with Dahyun as the pianist. It also helped calm her every time she felt angry, finding a place alone and dancing out the piece, the moves etched into her heart. But right now, it served to frustrate her even more as the music allowed the girl next to her to ignore her.

“Dahyun. Dahyun. Dubu. Dubu. Dubu. Dubu.” Mina kept going on and on, poking the girl’s soft tofu-like cheeks. The girl got redder in embarrassment before Mina decided to take drastic measures. Waiting for a red light, she grabbed Dahyun’s head and turned it to face her before showing her her aegyo. Dahyun turned as red as she most humanly can and started to stutter. Still using her cute voice, Mina started to talk to Dahyun again.

“Dahyunnie… Where are we going?” Mina tried to hold in her laughter from the girl’s red face and kept batting her eyelashes.

“We, uhm, ahem, uhm, we’re going to a park?” Dahyun managed to squeak. Mina, satisfied, turned off her “Aegyo mode” and nodded in satisfaction letting the music fill her ears. Dahyun was speechless from the girl’s actions and was brought out of her stupor from a car honk and drove away, glad that the park was around the next turn. Pulling up to the parking lot, she stole a glance at Mina, seeing her falling asleep. Dahyun let out a small smile at the peaceful state of the girl before shaking her awake after finding a spot to park.

“Mina. Hey, Mina, wake up.” Dahyun lightly shook the girl as she tried to wake the dozing girl.

“mmm five more minutes Dubu.” Mina leaned into the girl’s hand, making the girl blush. “I can get used to your hand like this.” Mina then hugged her arm. Dahyun tried, she really tried to stop her feelings from blossoming, but she just couldn’t, moments like these preventing it. Despite wanting Mina’s soft hand in hers forever, she knew she was going behind her friend’s back and gently yanked her arm away from the girl.

“Mina, let’s go.” Mina let out a small cute groan and opened her eyes and took off her seatbelt, exiting the vehicle in one motion. Seeing this, Dahyun opened her door, not before she popped the trunk open. Telling Mina to walk to the tree and wait for her, she opened the trunk and found two suitcases, reminding her that she was leaving today. Finding the small note that she planned to give to Jihyo, she caught up with the girl and told her to wait there.

She walked over the hill that separated the parking lot from the main park and gasped at the beauty the park held. She saw the lights that lit up the dark park, hanging low from the trees. There were rose petals everywhere, some of them even forming a structure that looked like a heart. Full roses littered the top of park benches, where Dahyun can see their group of friends sitting. Sana was sitting in a park bench with Tzuyu, whom was hugging the girl from behind. Momo, Nayeon and Jeongyeon were together in one park bench, Momo stuffing her face with what was placed on the bench, the other two just holding hands and watched as Momo ate in amusement. She can see Jihyo by herself in a park bench next to the grand piano that was next to the heart structure. And standing in the middle of the heart structure, a bouquet full of colorful roses in hand, she looked up and noticed Dahyun and immediately started to make her way towards her, excitement and nervousness evident on her face.

“Dahyunnie! Is she here?” Dahyun only nodded in response before she shooed the girl away and went back to Mina.

Going on the back side of the hill, she saw Mina apparently playing with a pinecone in her hands, marveling at the size of it but placed it gently back onto the ground as she noticed Dahyun make her way over.

“Dahyun! What’s going on?” Mina looked excited, a look in her eyes telling Dahyun that she was excited for today.

“Something very special is going on. Now can you do me favor?” Dahyun quietly asked as she took Mina’s hand in hers, making the girl look her in the eyes.

“Anything.” Mina truthfully answered. Dahyun didn’t know why but she felt that one word resonate within her very soul as she gave the girl a quick smile before whispering in her ear, not noticing how the both of them were turning red.

“Close your eyes and count to thirty, then walk over that hill and keep walking until you feel something stop you. Do you trust me?” Dahyun quietly asked her as she looked the girl straight into her eyes, feeling herself get lost in them.

“Always.” And with that Dahyun reluctantly broke eye contact and walked back, hearing Mina quietly count down to herself. Dahyun took a shaky breath and played with the small piece of paper in her hands. Seeing that everyone was still the same before she left, she quickly walked to Jihyo and handed her the note, the girl only sending her an understanding nod and gave her a reassuring smile. She watched as Chaeyoung mentally prepare herself, shifting slightly in anticipation.

Dahyun hastened her steps and sat behind the familiar instrument, adjusting the seat and feeling the ivory keys. She wiggled her fingers before she started to play, tears falling out of her eyes. She closed her eyes and allowed her fingers to take over for her, the piece she was playing etched in her heart.

She kept playing the song despite the tears that fell out of her eyes, the piece resembling something that the two shared. Her fingers tapped away at the keys, wanting her heart to be heard out, playing her heart out to Mina as memories of the two played in her head. The soft notes of the piece trying to soothe her aching heart as if they came to life, enveloping her in a warm embrace.

She watched as she first met the distant and cold transfer student that had no friends.

She watched as the two had their first playdate, the first time the two had dinner together.

She watched as the two helped each other when things were spiraling downwards, watching as the two first cuddled into each other’s embrace, helping the other sleep at night.

She watched as she when she finally realized how much Mina meant to her, when she realized she loved her.

She watched as Mina laughed along with her friend, how they would always have these heart eyes for each other.

She watched as the two would always dance with each other, watched as Mina danced to her piano.

She watched as Mina got into an accident, feeling as if her world was going to end without the lovable penguin.

She watched as she gave Mina the plushy.

She saw the girl who wanted to see the penguins.

Opening her tear-filled eyes after finishing the piece, she watched Chaeyoung get down on one knee, offering Mina the roses as she confessed to girl and asked her to be her girlfriend. Feeling as if she couldn’t take it anymore, she saw Jihyo’s eyes look at her with understanding and nodded at her. That was all Dahyun needed as she mouthed a small ‘thank you’ and discreetly exited the park, using the darkness to blend herself in so as to not be seen.

Making it to her car, Dahyun let out a shaky breath and checked the glove compartment, making sure her plane ticket and passport was still there. Dahyun took a moment to collect herself and turned the engine on. Like always, her phone connected to her car and immediately, the song that connected both of them together started to play. Dahyun’s heart broke a bit more at the sad tone of the song and bobbed her head to the song. After a few minutes of driving she reached the airport. She can see her brother waving her over.

She stopped at the right exit and got out of the still running car, popping the trunk open and taking out her two suitcases. She walked past her brother and stopped next to him.

“Are you sure about this?” He asked, concern in his voice.

“No. No I’m not. But, I have to do this for me, you know.” And with that she got to the luggage station, relieved yet sad that there wasn’t a line.

“Now boarding Flight 218 to Manila, Philippines.” A voice boomed all over the airport. Dahyun quickly hurried to the security gate and passed by without a problem. This saddened her again for some reason. Reaching the gate, Dahyun presented her ticket to the flight attendant. The pretty lady nodded her head in response and gestured her inside. Dahyun nodded thank you and was about to walk inside, a longing and sad feeling settling itself inside her chest as she took a step into the airbridge. She took a deep breath and was about to take one more step into the bridge before she heard a loud commotion from behind her.

Not wanting to spare a glance, she was about to step inside before they said something that froze her over.

“DON’T YOU ING DARE KIM DAHYUN!” Hearing her name she turned around and what she saw surprised her and somewhat scared her. There, she saw an angry Mina being held back by two security guards, tears running down her cheek as she fought desperately to escape from them and run towards her. Her face was all red, eyes puffy, looking as if she was crying.

Stop, don’t make this anymore harder than it has to be.

She watched as a small crowd formed behind her, wondering what was happening.  They split near the middle to reveal both Jihyo and Chaeyoung, the former sending her an apologetic smile and the latter getting down to help Mina, hugging her from behind, allowing the guards to take a break from restraining the angry beauty.

Please, I'm begging you. Just stop....

“DON’T YOU ING DO IT KIM. DON’T YOU ING DO IT I’M BEGGING YOU!” Mina desperately shouted as she kept struggling from the girl’s surprisingly tight grip despite her small size. “LET GO OF ME!” Mina demanded as she tried to step forward, angry tears running down her as she struggled to take a step. The crowd remained quiet as they silently observed the two girls, waiting for her reaction.

“Mina. Stop.” Dahyun softly said. Mina looked up with disbelief in her eyes as she glared at the girl, finally fighting her way from the girl’s grip. She ran towards her best friend and wrapped her in a hug. Mina tried to snuggle closer into the girl’s neck as she took in her pinewood scent. She stopped after a few seconds, realizing that the girl wasn’t hugging her back.

“What’s wrong Dubu. Why aren’t you hugging me back? Come on, you can tell me anything? Please...” Mina pleaded with her, taking her hand into her own as she looked at the girl with pleading eyes. Dahyun stood still as she looked away, refusing to make eye-contact with her because she knew that it would cause her to break. And she didn’t want to do that.

“Mina. That’s enough. Don’t you see how hard it is for me too? So just let go Mina. Please. I beg you.” And finally, Dahyun’s walls broke, tears finally escaping her eyes as she dropped the hand holding the suitcase and broke Mina’s grasp on her hand with her own. Finally building up the courage to make eye-contact, Dahyun’s heart broke as she saw the hurt in Mina’s eyes. The anger it held. What was worse was the betrayal she experienced when Dahyun took her hand away.

“I ing hate you Kim Dahyun. Get the hell away from me.” Mina hissed as she backed away from the girl into Chaeyoung’s arms. Dahyun cried to herself and turned around confused. She knew this was the right thing to do. She knew that Mina shouldn’t be having these feelings for her, and that Mina deserved Chaeyoung more than her. So why the did it hurt so much?

With one last shaky breath, Dahyun stepped into the plane and walked to her seat, Mina’s last words to her repeating itself in her ear.