005

The Villain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No one wants a painful love

Can’t I turn your heart...

The more I love, the more tired I get

Hold me please...

Because only you make me live”

Song Haye – Crack

 

Wishing her father-in-law wouldn’t be there when she stepped into the house, Mina returned home, only to find him watching news in the living room.

She decided to greet him with a bow and silently go upstairs to her room.

“Mina-yah,”

He made her stop at the base of the stairs. “Yes abeonim?”

“Where’s Junmyeon?” he asked, turning off the TV. “Didn’t you two leave the house together?”

Chewing on her lip, Mina walked up to the couch where Junmyeon’s dad was watching her from. “Junmyeon...he got...a call from the office abeonim. He sent me home saying he’ll be a bit late.”

She hated it. She hated lying when the middle aged man in front of her was talking with nothing but kindness.

“Then take a seat for a moment. I have something to tell you Mina.”

She sat in front of him and listened, trying not to distract herself from recalling the encounter with Junmyeon from a few minutes before.

“Junmyeon didn’t want this marriage to happen, Mina-yah.”

His started, looking solemn than ever, seriousness taking over his refined smile. “You might have not believed him if he had mentioned that before. But the marriage between you two was entirely my idea.”

it was true. Though Junmyeon had said a several times that he didn’t want to marry her, but did it because his dad was forcing him to, she had never believed it.

“Your dad needed a way out of bankruptcy. And I needed my son to have a life. And knowing very well that he had always had feelings for you, I couldn’t help but bring up a marriage between the families as a business condition. Forgive me Mina, I did what I thought was best for my child.”

Lowering her head, the girl nodded in silence.

“I won’t be as petty as to ask how things are going between you two after forcing this upon you. I know things are hard, and I know it’s even harder because Junmyeon’s such a difficult person.” He sighed heavily before continuing. “He didn’t grow up with love Mina. All he had was a father who was busy making a comfortable life for him. I was the wrong one since the start...thinking heaps of money would do my child good.”

Mina nodded again, in order to imply that she was listening.

“All I want you to do is giving Junmyeon a chance Mina.” Her father-in-law continued, his voice now heavy with worry and concern. “You might not know...but Junmyeon loves you a lot. He might be lousy when it comes to expressing how he feels, but I hope you will give it a try.”

 

* * *

Amber had dozed off on a chair outside her cafe when she heard the car parked in front of the cafe revving up to life, and before she could comprehend it and get back to her feet, Junmyeon’s car had disappeared in the street. The girl decided to leave a short text to her friend, before returning to close her cafe for the day.

From : Amber

“He left the place just now. And remember. TALK. Okay Hwang Mina? Talk with him and sort things out.”

 

Junmyeon was back in his neighbourhood when he was getting a call from an unknown number. And an oddly familiar deep voice spoke from the other end of the call when he answered it.

“It’s me, Park Chanyeol.”

“I’m driving. Hang up.”

Junmyeon muttered before clenching his jaws and gripping on the steering wheel.

“Isn’t it about time you understand that living with her doesn’t make her heart change? How long are you gonna act like a kid who’s crazy for a toy?”

Junmyeon stopped the car.

“Stop using money as a bait Kim Junmyeon.” Chanyeol spoke again. “What good will come by keeping a girl with you when she actually loves another man?”

He didn’t bother replying.

“Let me make one thing clear to you Junmyeon. I you love her, by any chance if you truly love Mina, let her go. If it’s actually love you have for her, you should let her do what makes her happy.”

Chanyeol waited a few seconds for a reply from his rival, and when there was nothing but absolute silence, he ended the call. Slowly, Junmyeon turned the stirring wheel and got back on the road, heading to his usual hideout.

 

“Oh! Look who’s here!” Jessica served him with a bright grin when Junmyeon entered the apartment. “Noona you’re here too?” he muttered his question. “Then I shouldn’t be staying here tonight...”

“It’s fine Junmyeon.” Siwon walked into the small living room of the apartment, carrying a tray of fruits. “Come, have some grapes.”

The younger male shook his head in rejection, and sat down on the sofa. And for a while, he went on changing channels of the TV non-stop, then switched it off. “Noona,”

“Yes Myeon?” Jessica sat beside him, and peered into his face. “Yah...why are your eyes so swollen? What happened darling?”

“If I really love her,” Junmyeon averted his eyes from the blank screen and turned to his secretary. “I should do what makes her happy...right?”

“What are you getting at Jun?” Siwon asked, taking a seat on a chair opposite.

“I should...let her go to him...right?” Junmyeon turned and asked Siwon.

“Yah...have you lost your mind? What are you talking about you moron?”

“Their company would get back to normal soon...so—”

“Did you marry her for the business? Is that it?”

“But hyung... I can’t force her to love me...can I?”

“Stop getting ahead of yourself and be patient you paboya... She’ll get over him and eventually understand you!”

“She hasn’t smiled since the wedding day...not even once. I can’t bear to see her like that noona.”

 

* * *

Mina woke up on the sofa of their room, where Junmyeon slept leaving the bed to herself. Rubbing her itching eyes with unremoved makeup, she got back on her feet, and looked down at herself to realize she was still wearing the outfit in which she had gone to visit Amber last evening.

Every event from the day before started flooding in, reminding her how she stayed up waiting for Junmyeon to return home, and had eventually fallen asleep on the sofa.

Didn’t he really come home?

 

After getting dressed for breakfast, she went downstairs, battling between various kinds of excuses to give Junmyeon’s father. And what caught her eyes at the dining table, left the girl speechless.

“Omma...”

Both her parents smiled at the girl from the breakfast table, whom were already helping themselves to the coffee served for them and her father-in-law. “We knew you were missing us darling...that’s why I asked your appa to take me to see you today.” Her mom said with a bright smile. “Come here darling.”

“Your mom wanted to feed you something made by her own hands.” her dad chuckled. “But you’ve brought enough food for at least a week Mr. Hwang!” Junmyeon’s dad laughed in reply. Mina silently went to sit opposite to her mom, and was soon served with coffee. And her mom started piling up a plate for her with all the delicacies on the table.

“I heard Junmyeon was out on business?” Mina’s mom asked, directing her daughter’s chopsticks to a slice of egg roll. Mina looked up at her father-in-law, and he continued to sip at his coffee in silence. “Too bad. I thought he’ll also get to taste my food.”

Just then, the said young man walked in to the dining room, eyes widening in surprise. “Just came home...” he looked at Mina’s dad, and bowed at once in respect. “I’m sorry I didn’t know you were coming...abeonim.”

“Aigo...look at you Junmyeon! You can’t overwork yourself and get exhausted like that dear...” Mina’s mom sighed, and signalled him to come closer. “Let’s have breakfast now okay? I cooked everything myself and brought them here, so you have to try everything okay?”

Mina saw him sparing a slight glance at her before taking the seat beside her.

“After having a hearty breakfast, you must go and rest well. Got it?”

“Yes... omonim.”

 

Mina turned her head to look at him. He looked like he was back to normal, with the silent and stiff nature of his, except for the greyish paleness that was still evident on his face. Wondering where he spent the entire night, she watched as her mom continued to force him to taste her cooking.

“Did you have dinner Junmyeon?”

He shook his head.

“Then no coffee before eating! Now have this...”

A bowl was piled up with rice. “Nothing works as rice for Koreans. You’re a hard worker, so you must have a heavy breakfast.”

He nodded before starting to pick the beans off the rice.

“Who told you to remove the beans?”

“I...omonim I don’t eat—”

“There’s nothing as I don’t eats here! Beans have all the good nutrients here, so you are not going to leave any of them out!”

And he started to eat them away without further arguing.

An egg roll then.

A piece of grilled fish.

A big chunk of pancake next.

One by one, Junmyeon was given with every single side dish on the table. And he had them all, without any complaint.

“Nothing’s more rewarding than kids having your food.” Mina’s mom stated, watching her son-in-law with content. “So how’s my cooking Junmyeon-ah? Is it good?”

He nodded, raising his head from the table and meeting her eyes. “Can I drop by once in a while? ...for lunch or dinner maybe?”

“Of course darling! Do you even have to ask?” mina’s mom reached for his hand across the table. “Come visit us whenever you want. I’ll make anything

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter